• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Musical Taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freesia

At your service~
Reaction score
What kind of music do you enjoy listening to? Also when you were younger did you listen to different music than you do now? I have a pretty good memory so I remember my musical taste throughout the years quite well~

I started liking pop because that's all I was really exposed to. A couple of years later when I was 12 or so, I started listening to more bands, bands like Paramore, Flyleaf, and My Chemical Romance, All American Rejects, Escape The Fate, and many more. I listened to bands from America and bands from Europe.

A few years later I started to listen to more Japanese music, because I just really fell in love with it. Japan has so much beautiful music, and so many talented artists too. I also listened to some Kpop too, because some of it is really catchy. What about you guys? :)

I've always had really weird music tastes. I don't really understand genres, as my brain separates everything into "pop, rock, rap, classical, and showtunes." Although my tastes tend to stay within what my brain calls "rock" and "pop." So I'll listen to Linkin Park, Dong Bang Shin Ki, Powerman 5000, 2NE1, Limp Bizkit, Utada Hikaru, KoRn, etc. Some people call it schizophrenic but I am a schizophrenic so it's all good~ :ROFLMAO:

I don't really care what country the music I listen to is from, or the language is in. I'm latin, I grew up listening to latin and American music, and my first exposure to Kpop was in 1997 (H.O.T.'s Candy, which still exists on my playlist <3 I love that song). I think the first Jpop I heard was like 1999 or something. I've got songs in Russian, French, Portuguese, Chinese, none of which I speak.

The only things I won't listen to are country, and things with no lyrics. I'm not particularly into instrumental stuff.

I listen to mostly Alternative/Indie stuff as I really like the vocals that accompany those types of songs. The lyrics are also not as repetitive/reused which is something I appreciate.

I do listen to a lot of different types of music though, and even though I prefer more obscure artists I won't deny that I like Taylor Swift and certain pop songs. When I was younger, I tended to listen to mostly pop (which is why my fondness for it is still apparent, I suppose) and some rock. I still like rock, but there's few new and well-known rock bands out there now, so I have trouble finding new songs to get into.

In their respective youths, my dad was a fan of prog rock, like Pink Floyd and Genesis, while my mom was more of a metalhead, with things like Queensryche, Dream Theater, Rush and Triumph. I grew up listening to bands and artists like The Beatles, U2, Lifehouse, Matchbox Twenty, 3 Doors Down, Sting, Peter Gabriel, and Tori Amos, in addition to the beforementioned bands.

When I was younger, I liked mostly 00's pop and rap, with the occasional alternative-pop song here and there. At the turn of the decade, I was introduced to the band Shinedown, which is an alternative, sometimes hard rock band that got heavy airplay in 2008-2010 due to their crossover hit "Second Chance," and follow-ups. I really liked Shinedown and from there went on a search for more bands like them. Some notable bands that I listened to during this time were Rise Against, Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Seether, Foo Fighters, and Green Day; the lattermost was a transition to my next phase.

As high school came around, I got into somewhat of a emo/punk phase, listening to bands like blink-182, Sum 41, My Chemical Romance, New Found Glory, and eventually Flyleaf and Paramore, which is, evidently (as proven by my theme, which I've kept for like two years), my favorite band of all time. After I got tired of the four-chord punk progressions I started leaning into my most previous phase, which includes more garage/blues rock, like The White Stripes, Cage the Elephant, The Black Keys, and the likes of them.

My current phase dates back to what I like to think of as right before last summer. I started listening to more alternative/indiepop bands, like Grouplove, Young the Giant, Foster the People, and MGMT; I liked the fact that they were good-quality songs that you could dance to, that weren't super overplayed on the radio. Over the summer I listened to a lot of Modest Mouse, Iron & Wine, Twenty One Pilots, Death Cab for Cutie, and Brand New, and this school year I've listened to a lot of Passion Pit, Edward Sharpe, Coldplay, The 1975, and even some more EDM styled artists like Empire of the Sun and AWOLNATION. Also, since I've been doing jazz band, I have been listening to a lot of jazz, fusion, and jazz video game covers.

Overall, I've never really lost interest in any of the music I used to listen to throughout my "phases." I still love Paramore, and other female-fronted bands like them, like Flyleaf, Tonight Alive, The Naked & Famous, and so forth. I still love pop music; Pink and Adele are fantastic, Ed Sheeran and George Ezra are pretty cool, and I actually don't hate JB's latest album. I still love hard rock. I still listen to Rush daily. I love Shindeown's newest album. The greatest thing about my music taste is that it's so large that I can shuffle my iPod and listen to just about anything, and I love it all. And aside from dumb rap, and annoying noise-music like Nikki Minaj and such, there's not much music I can't stand. Country's pretty cool too.

tl;dr music is cool

I got into music pretty late.

Childhood - Basically boils down to videogame soundtracks, most notable Crash Bandicoot, Ridge Racer Type4, SSX 3 and Tony Hawk's Underground. I only really started caring about music around 2006.
Teens - 2006 I bought an iPod classic, and suddenly a whole world was open to me. The first album I ever downloaded doesn't matter, because the second one changed my life - London Calling by The Clash. This is an important musical step for me because that album offers so much; punk, reggae, rockabilly, power pop, ska. Amazing album, and to someone who didn't know shit about music, this was like a bible.
Late Teens - I began digging music way more, I probably had a phase for every genre, I tried everything and sampled a bit here and there and that's really rounded me off as a music listener. I have favourite jazz albums, hip hop, disco, ambient, D&B, techno whatever. I was beginning to grow away from most rock music and instead digging electronic.
Adulthood - Within the past five years I think my taste has narrowed quite a bit. I listen to my old favourite albums, check out techno and hip hop, a little ambient and jazz. My main listens are east coast hip hop and ambient techno, but it does depend on my mood really.

My mother is a huge fan of 80s music, so when I was young that was all the music I was listening to. However, by the time I was ten or so I was incredibly sick of it, and now I never listen to most of the music. Probably my next phase was classic rock, progressive rock (Dream Theater, Rush, Kayak, Alan Parsons) in particular. Next when I was 13 or so I was really into the album Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park and I was more of a metal fan.

What is my taste like nowadays? Well, a few months ago I discovered an album called Turn On The Bright Lights by Interpol, and it is my current favorite album. I like some of the softer, more ambient music, although Interpol is a bit of a unique sound. (311, Tokio Hotel, M83, and Queens of the Stone Age are a few examples) I still listen to Linkin Park and Alan Parsons on occasion, and I also really enjoy Rise Against and "Weird Al" Yankovic. So basically, I like a variety of music, although I'm not a fan of country music nor the mainstream side of pop. And I still cannot stand the majority of 80's music (with a couple of exceptions such as Aerosmith and The Cure).

Mostly rock and metal. Greek rap and hiphop has mostly taken over most of my listening time though lately. I can dig 80s pop all the time, I think there is some weird early childhood memory thing playing with my mind, it can't be explained why I have so much nostalgia for it otherwise. Being born in 93 and all, that stuff was probably being blasted by my parents when I was super young or something. Its not even good music, but I just LOVE listening to stuff like Samntha Fox, Kim Wilde, or Salt n Pepa for no reason.

Late 60s and music through the 70s is my favorite. Pink Floyd, Zappa, Bowie, Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath.

Interestingly enough, it's not because my dad listened to it either... he largely didn't. Aside from Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin, he didn't listen to any of the above. Most of it I discovered on my own.

I'm a classical musician, so I really love Romantic music such as Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Liszt, and a bit of Beethoven. However I've lately come to love 60's and 70's music. I particularly like The Beatles, Elton John, Bruce Springsteen and other less famous artists. My all-time favourite singer is David Bowie. I never really listened to Bowie, but I had heard bits of songs like 'Life on Mars?' and 'Rebel Rebel' and I was kind of indifferent. I only really knew him from his Zoolander cameo. However, after he died, I listened to some of his songs to see what all the fuss was about. I stuck on 'Life on Mars?' and listened to it the whole way through for the first time. I was dumbstruck at how brilliant it was. Soon enough I was hooked. I found myself buying his Ziggy Stardust album on vinyl and Blackstar not long after. My favourite Bowie song is easily "Heroes", it's just so damn epic and grandiose.

Ziggy Stardust is one of my favorite albums of all time, and I love the artwork. I have the album on CD, but I'd like to get the vinyl someday just to display because I like it so much.

All I really listen to are anime music and classical music. I do know for a fact that I can't STAND hip-hop and rap (with one exception, the first ending to the first Durarara anime, Trust Me).

I'm rather find of classic rock from the 60's through the early 90's (grunge counts as rock), although I'm not terribly big on hair metal. I also don't care much for rap.

Anything but country/western and Christian music.

I first started going out of my way to listen to music and developing my own taste when I was about 12 or 13, I think. The first groups that I ever really got into were Coldplay, U2, and Muse. Those three bands are pretty much the spring-board where the rest of my musical taste comes from, although as I've gotten older, Muse has started sounding kinda goofy and over-dramatic, U2 sounds kinda samey and repetitive, and Chris Martin (that's Coldplay) is not all that great of a singer. I still unequivocally love Coldplay, and I have soft spots for the other two, but mostly I've moved on.

Around that age, I also really liked Daft Punk, and they remain my favorite electronic act because I'm not big on electronic music in general. I love the idea of electronic music, but too much of it just sounds like some guy pressing "Play" and forgetting about it. Does that make sense? I mean, when you see these big electronic shows, they have to have these big costumes and expensive light shows and stuff, and I think it's because when you look at what they're actually doing with their hands to make that music in real-time... it's not much. I wish more electronic acts would take a cue from Kraftwerk or all the DJs of the '80s/'90s era of hip-hop, musicians that actually replicated their music live.

Speaking of hip-hop, I'm not automatically adverse to it, but I would agree that most of the stuff coming out today is meaningless, self-absorbed trash. I do kinda like Drake, though, so he's probably the only rapper working today that I can listen to. Just about everything else I listen to in the genre is from the '90s, and mostly East Coast at that. Gang Starr, Nas, MF DOOM (he's mostly not '90s and isn't really East Coast, but I like him), Nujabes (he's definitely not East Coast because he's Japanese and I'm a weeb I guess), and I'm probably forgetting a lot.

The big break-through, though, came when I was 15 and I started listening to metal. The band that proved metal had something in it for me was Dream Theater, but those guys are so goofy looking back on it, I don't listen to them any more. They were my first step into the genre, though, so I owe it to them. Metal is probably what I listen to most often, and I couldn't tell you why, but it's probably the genre from which I can rattle off the biggest list of bands that I like. Gojira, Eyehategod (stupid name, awesome band), Isis, Deftones, Converge, Mastodon, Neurosis, Boris, and I'm most likely forgetting a few.

I wrote way too much, I guess I'm just bored today. tl;dr version is, I mostly listen to metal and I have a huge soft spot for "alternative rock", whatever that is, but I'll try anything once.

My first love was classic rock, and I still listen considerably to bands like Rush, Styx, and The Who, to name a few.

As the story will probably also go for many others, my interest in anime served as a gateway into modern music from Japan. I love a lot of recent rock music out of there, such as supercell, EGOIST, ステレオポニー/STEREOPONY, and SCANDAL (my current favorite band!)

More recently I've also been getting in to dance music, and my exploration has been primarily through the Japanese hardcore scene. My EDM flavors of choice tend to be happy hardcore (notably DJ Noriken, DJ Genki, DJ Shimamura) and trance (ZTS is a favorite here, as well as various trance-y pop songs from I've Sound). I'm also gradually warming up to some of the harder sounding genres such as gabber.

I listen in more limited amounts to classical and rap music as well. I haven't had time to dive deep enough to really flesh out a good collection or develop strong preferences, but I intend to get there eventually! So far I'm digging Tchaikovsky and Digital Underground, respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom