• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Nuzlocke Story

Reaction score
If you have done a Nuzlocke, you know how emotional it is. The deaths, the success. This thread is to share your nuzlocke story. May it be a heartbreaking death, a hard-earned win, or a massive success, this is for it.

So, I guess I'll just say some things from my Shield Nuzlocke

The massacre of Bede

After defeating Neesa with Shakira the Eldegoss, I made my way to the cave. And I got to Bede. I figured to start with Raboot, and immediately after a Flame Charge, Solosis hit my Raboot with a Psywave. And she fell to 20 hp. That was rough, so I managed to kill it. Next was Gothita, where I swapped to Eldegoss to heal Raboot. I managed to get a heal in, and I got hit with another Psywave. 30 HP. Gothita's Speed lowered, so I hit a razor leaf, and it lived on Red Health. And he killed Eldegoss with a Psywave. This was my first death, and it was heartbreaking. Raboot avenged Eldegoss with a Quick Attack. So Hatenna (I think) was next, and I swapped to Wooloo. Wooloo could surely help with a Silk Scarf headbutt. Nope, a one hit ko Psywave. And I send in Tympole to kill Hatenna, and after a close bout, Hatenna fell, but Tympole was low. His last pokemon was a Galarian Ponyta, which I thought was fairy. So I send out my Toxel. And he died to a confusion. Raboot managed to get revenge, at last, ending Ponyta with 2 Flame Charges. I had one, but at the cost of Eldegoss my favorite, Wooloo my first capture, and Toxel the runt. But, every loss brings victory. With three open spots, Raboot Tympole and Kirlia recruited a Croagunk, a previously caught Stuffel, and someone else

And I only survived Kabu because stalled out Centiscorch with a Poisoned Litwick that I caught from the gym challenge. And I swapped into my new Palpitoad, Dynamaxed, and killed Centiscorch. I replaced Litwick with a Golet later though lol

I've started a few, but have never gone through and finished them. I do have a Sword nuzlocke going right now that I plan to pick back up with soon.

My first nuzlocke was actually my most memorable though. I was playing SoulSilver and I decided to do a Wedlocke (variation of the nuzlocke where team members are paired together. You can only switch between them.) The run was actually going well. I had a huge scare with Polaris, my Rattata, in Union Cave. She was poisoned twice by a trainer with Koffing and I didn't have any antidotes or potions. I took each step so slowly as I walked back to the Pokemon Center, checking her HP every time she took more damage. She somehow lived on just a couple HP.

But this wasn't the big one, this wasn't the run ender. I hate grinding in Pokemon games, so I decided to go into Bugsy's gym without grinding too much. I did a little, but I had Jade, a Pidgey at level 16, what could go wrong? U-Turn, Jade's dead. Jade was my answer to the fight. I hadn't leveled up my other Pokemon much at all. Polaris took out the Metapod or Kakuna (can't remember which), but then Bugsy switched Scyther back in. Focus energy and Quick Attack, Polaris dead. Then both my Mareep and Ekans fell to Quick Attacks. Then Jovanni, my Sentret. At this point, I didn't think I could make it. Jovanni was paired with my Chikorita, so if he died, my Chikorita would not stand a chance. U-Turn, Jovanni somehow lived and after pushing through with potions and a dream, Jovanni took out Scyther. Bugsy's final Pokemon remained, but I was out of potions, and Jovanni was low on HP. Jovanni was taken out, so it was all up to my Chikorita, who just barely managed to take out the final Pokemon. She then evolved, but I just couldn't do it. I couldn't do with that emotional heartbreak, and I ended my run.

Since then I haven't had any super crazy experiences in Nuzlockes, or well the ones I have started. I think the closest one was when I was trying to catch a Team Member, and the Pokemon that I was using to catch the Pokemon was taken out, so it was a hard catch.

I don't have the courage yet, hehe. I get attached to my Pokemon, even the weaker ones. But maybe soon I will do one as a challenge. Maybe with Pokemon I don't care about... maybe with a team with disposable Wobbuffets, Dugtrios or Amoonguses that would take hits if needed to save my better Pokes...

Would that be considered cheating in a nuzlocke, by the way?

I don't have the courage yet, hehe. I get attached to my Pokemon, even the weaker ones. But maybe soon I will do one as a challenge. Maybe with Pokemon I don't care about... maybe with a team with disposable Wobbuffets, Dugtrios or Amoonguses that would take hits if needed to save my better Pokes...

Would that be considered cheating in a nuzlocke, by the way?

In a nuzlocke, you must catch the first pokemon you encounter. So, if you were to catch a pokemon to act as a body shield, that would be ok, but sorta frowned upon. Nuzlockes are supposed to be a challenge, and what's the fun in using weaker pokemon as shields. Unless your in a gym and abut to die and need a sacrifice to heal up your main member

In a nuzlocke, you must catch the first pokemon you encounter. So, if you were to catch a pokemon to act as a body shield, that would be ok, but sorta frowned upon. Nuzlockes are supposed to be a challenge, and what's the fun in using weaker pokemon as shields. Unless your in a gym and abut to die and need a sacrifice to heal up your main member

Yeah, I get it. If I did a nuzlocke I probably wouldn't do this anyway. It wouldn't be fun.

Try tu use all pokemon so to not use moves that get Stab from type.

And then in a other walkthrough the other way try only to use pokemon and moves that match their type.

So I tried with FR ,and Gary m0/#=&!"€¤\&@ Oak has failed my nuzzlocke not only 3 times nor 4 times or even 5 times but 2 TIMES

Edit: forgot to mention that it was always in the nugget bridge battle against him

So... I finally decided to try my first nuzlocke playthrough ever!, and I chose Omega Ruby since it's been a while I played that game and I love it, so why don't I make it more challenging? I asked myself. I started yesterday night. And eventhough I have only made it to Slateport / R. 110 as of today, I realize now just how gut-wrenching the whole thing is, but fun at the same time. I had a few close calls but so far only one has "died"... sort of... read below.

I am using the basic rules of the nuzlocke I found were the most prevalent (on the Internet): that any Poke that faints is basically dead and cannot be used anymore (so release or permanent storage for it), that I can only catch the first Poke I find on each new area/ route/ city (and that if it flees or faints I can no longer catch any other Pokemon in that area), nicknaming each Poke I get, no traded Pokes (except perhaps for evolving so it is a trade-back), no legendaries or mythicals and no resetting or reloading the game to avoid deaths of my Pokes or wild Pokes fleeing/ fainting. My character's name is "La Nuzloka" (a bad pun for Nuzlocke and "loca", Spanish for crazy).

I want to share my experiences so far (as concise as possible):
- Got a female Treecko as Starter, nicknamed "Raptorcita". Yep, a female one. I'm already attached to it, since I love the whole Treecko line, and it is a girl! Don't ever die on me, Raptorcita..
- Caught a male Zigzagoon on R. 101, a female Seedot on R.102, a male Whismur in Rusturf Tunnel, a male Wingull on R.104, and a female Taillow on R.104...
- Hang on, I caught two Pokes in one route? Yep, till around Dewford, I realized that the "two routes" that are close to Petalburg Woods are just one cut in two, Route 104. I swear I didn't intend to cheat, but I forgot that fact until I re-checked the encounter place for each of my Pokes so far. So the second one was Canarita the Taillow, which due to the rules of the nuzlocke, I had to honorable discharge to "The Fallen" box... So long, Canarita, and Godspeed!!! Basically this has been my only death, sort of; I do count it as one 'cause I was looking forward to train a Swellow. This was harsh, actually.
- I have had two wild Pokemon "casualties" (I made them both faint): a Taillow on Petalburg Woods, and a Nincada on R. 116.
- I won the 1st Badge without casualties, fighting with Raptorcita the Grovyle, Tenguctu the Nuzleaf and Tacito the Wingull.
- Got a male Magikarp in Dewford Town using the Old Rod. Nicknamed "Pecaote!".
- Got a female Makuhita in Granite Cave, nicknamed "Tortita".
- I won the 2nd Badge again without casualties, using mainly Tortita the Makuhita, Raptorcita the Grovyle and Tacito the Wingull.
- Got a Voltorb on R.110, nicknamed "Pelotin".
- Got a male Poochyena on R.103, nicknamed "Cosito". I didn't realize I was yet to get a Poke from that route, I didn't fail any wild Pokemon before I got my first Pokeballs, so I went back and got it! I love Mightyena, so I will protect this adorable pooch as much as I can!!!

I'll keep posting here more of my experiences as I progress through this nuzlocke. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
I've only gone through one Nuzlocke. Platinum.
Picked up a Gible early on and used grinding to keep my team. I got to the endgame with only three major deaths - My Staravia, my Alakazam, and my Weavile. I wound up with:
Infernape, Luxray, Floatzel, Garchomp, Giratina, Dustox.

Got too confident and tried the Elite Four without a last grind.
The actual Four were easy sweeps with Garchomp, save the Ground-Type one.
Then came Cynthia.
Sacrificed Giratina to kill Spiritomb.
Luxray polished off Togekiss in two shots.
Garchomp came out and I sent in Floatzel with Ice Fang. Did some damage and she swapped it out for Milotic.
And Milotic was out for blood.
Infernape, Floatzel, and Dustox.
Luxray put it in the red before he died as well.
Finished it off with a quick Dragon Claw, and blasted through Lucario in one.
Garchomp missed a Dragon Rush, and I Dragon Clawed it for a bit more than half. Earthquake finished the job after Giga Impact took a chunk off.
Roserade took three Flamethrowers, but it wasn't doing much damage, so sole survivor Garchomp and I were able to pull off the win.

Hey guys, I'll keep feeding here the humble chronicles of my first ever nuzlocke on O. Ruby (note: I'm not gonna list every Pokemon I catch in each new area unless it is going to be important somehow, or messes my chances of getting a better Pokemon in that area... I'm looking at you, Spinda!):

- Challenged Wattson and won the 3rd badge without casualties. Ufff. I'm either very lucky so far or it's still early in the game. I mostly used Cosito the Mightyena, Bocinito the Loudred, and Tenguctu the Nuzleaf.
- Got a female Numel on R.112, nicknamed "Volcancita". Finally, a Fire and a Ground type! Instant member of my team.
- Got another female Numel in the Fiery Path (what gives), nicknamed "Cratercita". I'll use the other one for my team since it has better stats. Unless it dies (hope not), I have a spare Numel / Camerupt.
- Got a damn Spinda on R.113!! I named it "Borrachin" (as in drunk, because it looks like it). I wanted a Skarmory so bad, but I got this weak dumb panda thing instead! Grrrrr. It is gonna sit in the spare box unless all my other Pokemon die and I have no choice (unlikely since I luckily have some strong Mons). I'll probably forfeit if that happens though, and I'll retire from Pokemon altogether.
- Got a female Swablu on R.114, nicknamed "Algodoncin". I hope I get a Trapinch later on so I don't have to use this as my Dragon type.

In hindsight, I figured maybe Omega Ruby is not the best game to do a nuzlocke due to the DexNav... since it kind of lets you pick some Pokemon (unless you try to go for one that pops out and get a random encounter instead, as has happened to me with the Spinda). But I haven't found a rule for nuzlockes that prohibits this so it's fair game. It doesn't change the fact that this probably makes the nuzlocke a bit easier in that sense. Anyways, if this one goes well, I probably will start a new nuzlocke in X (which doesn't have that feature) or Shield (well, maybe someone has figured out how to make a nuzlocke work in these games with the overworld spawns and all).

Last edited:
Hey everybody, I'm continuing my first ever nuzlocke chronicles here if you don't mind.

First things first... I had my first ever death in the nuzlocke :(, and it feels pretty horrible. In the Petalburg Gym, I forgot that daddy Norman had two freaking Slakings, the last which knows Retaliate. As I was kicking his butt with my Tortita the Hariyama, I forgot that fact (otherwise, I would have used a defense boost right then and there) and kept on going. And Norman's last Slaking took my Tortita with one hit, despite her bulk...

Godspeed Tortita, she did very well in combat and she will be missed... She's my first fallen hero.

At least I got the 5th badge with no other casualties, and a few more Pokemon on the next routes, none which I probably will use (unless I have no choice). I thought about that Latios, but I kinda have a clause not to use a Legendary, being the playthrough still feels easier than I thought even with the nuzlocke rules. So right now Avioncito the Latios will sit in the spare box. And I killed like three wild Tentacools on the water routes between Littleroot and Slateport.

Last edited:
Note: I just realized, why is this thread not more popular? Maybe it is because most people won't try a nuzlocke or what? Hmmmm.

Hey everybody, so continuing with my first ever nuzlocke chronicles... I got the 6th badge from Winona, thankfully without casualties. I used mainly Restortina the Grumpig (learned Power Gem) and Brillito the Milotic, which I caught as a Feebas on route 119. I traded back and forth with myself to get a Milotic, since in my copy of Y I had a spare prism scale (I still don't get and don't like the contest and Beauty thing, so I didn't care to even try that). I have to admit, I "cheated" a bit with the Feebas because in a last playthrough I learned and remembered the spot where you can easily fish one and I purposefully avoided all grass from the route until that spot, and thankfully no other Pokemon jumped at me while surfing. So it's legit. I also caught one of the Kecleons on route 120, and I might use it later on, I might not. So far I have had so little casualties (I still feel really bad for Tortita) I might get to the League with my current roster, but who knows.

Oh, I've been posting our Nuzlocke videos in bulbablogs. This time we're doing Pokemon Blue, and we're also keeping it as a log of how quarantine is going, and well... we just had our first MAJOR death yesterday to a goddamn self destructing Geodude. And it HURTS, man. You can check it out through the link in my signature, should be REAL easy to tell from the thumbnails which episode has geodude problems.

I shall continue with my first ever nuzlocke experience and I'm almost through, so I won't be hijacking the thread for much longer (I am starting a new nuzlocke on Black, but I will only post the results of that one instead of a chronicle like this).

So I basically won the 7th badge from the psychic twins without a lot of problem, no casualties, and with my trusty Cosito the Mightyena and Bocinito the Exploud. I'm going to run through the rest of the nuzlocke since I still feel it to be too easy and thus I will grind a lot less (even if that means deliberately avoiding some trainers, which I usually don't do). As for wild Pokemon, I wanted to catch a Meditite as a replacement for my only fallen hero so far (Tortita the Hariyama). Alas, I couldn't since a Shuppet crossed my way first... and then it killed itself with Curse... The rest of the routes will be pretty uneventful since most are water routes and I don't even care to catch a Tentacool for the thousandth time.

I also tried the first contest in the playthrough (at Lilycove) so I actually got the costumed Pikachu, but it is gonna sit in the spare box for the rest of time, or until I reset O. Ruby again.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom