• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Opinion On "Cheaters"

Since D/P, I play one version of the game with no cheats while cheating during playthrough of second one (Platinum, too). My standard hackset includes:
- 990 Rare Candies - screw grinding (though I use them only if the level gap is too high, like for BW post-game, the game is not challenging enough if pokemon are over-leveled)
- 990 PP MAX'es - screw PP limit
- 50 Max Repels (for the story beginning, then I simply buy them in-game)
- Max IVs for all pokemon I actively use
- Change HM moves by hacking the ROM, so I can avoid using HM slaves. For example, Cut becomes 70 BP Grass move, Fly -> 110 BP/100% hit (Acrobatics, anyone?), Strength -> 102BP (=Return), Flash -> 60BP/Electric.

I never use Wi-Fi for battles... GTS is used occasionally, though all pokemon I am giving away are either legit with no changes or bred from hacked pokes. I throw in Master Balls and other hacked rare items sometimes.

Of course, I've tried a Battle Frontier run with Wondertomb and Noguardjask. Lum Berry Sturdinja is to follow for Battle Subway :)

As for the cheating good or bad eternal question - as long as you know what you are doing, you can work both ways. If someone creates 31x6 IV pokemon for VGC, and wins, then he or she deserves the title: even with 100% hacked pokemon, you have to be a professional to win it. Pokemon battles are about strategy and not fapping 24/7 on your DS buttons to breed ideal pokemon, EV train them and get proper items... Though if a guy is a moron enough to get caught, then he deserves to be kicked out of tourney with his cart fried in microwave oven.

tl/dr: pokesavgen rules.

Last edited:
Well, of all the horrible crimes one could commit... theft, murder, being a fan of something that a lot of people don't like, I think that cheating at a game designed for children is the most lowly and most abominable crime known to man, and anyone who is caught cheating should be sentenced to death at first glance without even the courtesy of a fair trial!

In all seriousness, though, I don't use cheats myself, but I don't care if anyone else does as long as they don't use Pokémon or items obtained or raised through cheats competitively in tournaments or Wifi battles, at least without first consulting the person they're battling with or the administrators of the tournaments.

The word "cheating" I guess is a little strong, it implies something is being done dishonestly, but really, it's a video game. A single-player video game. The point of games is to have fun and sometimes cheating is just pure fun. I mean, who here can say they played GoldenEye 007 as a kid and didn't make frequent use of the All Weapons, Invincibility, and Infinite Ammo cheats at the very least? (Paintball mode being an optional luxury) - I mean, I'm not even a huge fan of first person shooters, but there is a sort of corrupt joy to wielding two rocket launchers at once, both with infinite ammo, and being completely unable to die. Just watching all those helpless enemies shoot at you to no avail as you blast them along with every explosive propane tank, wooden crate, and bookshelf around them is just hilarious. In the same regards, starting the game with a Level 99984698498491879 Celebi that knows one-hit KO moves with infinite PP is probably equally fun. Plus, there are other benefits to cheating. (A sentence which should probably not be echoed in school or over the phone with your significant other in the next room) I mean, as much as I love the games, it's really burdensome having to catch ALL my Pokémon ALL over again, and boy do I miss my Kanto and Hoenn legendaries.

So yeah, I don't care if you cheat or not as long as it doesn't effect other peoples' gameplay experience, and anyone who judges someone's character for cheating on the single-player components of an insignificant video game is just looney.

Last edited:
The only time cheating really matters is when it detracts from someone else's experience. In this case, that would mean using broken pokemon to compete against others. Outside of that, "cheating" isn't even a big deal.

I only do it to get myself set up in terms of levels and a few moves to get past a tedious storyline, after that it's all legit.

It's only cheating if you do it to win the VGC or something. If its your game on single, you can do whatever you want, there's no one stopping you.

The only thing considered cheating I ever do is the Pokemon Creation Thread in Dubious Disc. So, I really have nothing against cheaters, as long as they don't break the rules by giving a Gyarados 802 Attack or something. ^^

Here's what I think... If you want to hack your game, it's your game. If it's for your own enjoyment, go ahead. I even think that it's ok to bypass hatching hundreds of eggs if you honestly don't have the time to do so. I'm in college, I work with an organization that takes up a lot of my time, and I don't think that the fact that I honestly have a busy life should hold me back from having a competitive team, and enjoying my game to its fullest. But here is where I get annoyed. I can't stand facing blatantly hacked Pokemon in battle, or receiving them in trades without my prior knowledge. If you think it's ok to take risks with my game without my consent, I have a problem with that, too.

Also, I love to research glitches, and some just aren't available without cheating. I think that's ok too, as long as you know what you are doing.

My point is, I believe it doesn't matter unless your hacking negatively impacts someone else.

Here's what I think... If you want to hack your game, it's your game. If it's for your own enjoyment, go ahead. I even think that it's ok to bypass hatching hundreds of eggs if you honestly don't have the time to do so. I'm in college, I work with an organization that takes up a lot of my time, and I don't think that the fact that I honestly have a busy life should hold me back from having a competitive team, and enjoying my game to its fullest. But here is where I get annoyed. I can't stand facing blatantly hacked Pokemon in battle, or receiving them in trades without my prior knowledge. If you think it's ok to take risks with my game without my consent, I have a problem with that, too.

Also, I love to research glitches, and some just aren't available without cheating. I think that's ok too, as long as you know what you are doing.

My point is, I believe it doesn't matter unless your hacking negatively impacts someone else.

Pretty much this. I don't know what your circumstances are or how you choose to distribute your time, so I'm indifferent if you choose to cheat for the purpose of getting unobtainable pokemon or making pokemon stronger. I draw the line when it has a negative effect on my game, like distributing dangerous hacks on the GTS.

I dont use any codes but i have Meloetta and i got her from my friend who used action replay to get her... other then that i try to breed/catch and train pokemon myself. If i want to just battle with pokemon i dont have i use online battling like showdown or pokemon online

As someone who aided in the discovery of many Gameshark codes for Pokemon Crystal back in the day, I have very little right to say "never cheat". However, back then, there was no online multiplayer. Personally, I don't like cheaters that bring their hacked Pokemon online, and it's one reason I decided to never take part in the Global Battle Union once the Worldwide release came for Black and White. Cheaters kinda ruined the game for me, since almost all I ever see in battles are Pokemon hacked to be "perfect". I don't cheat after seeing just how many people outside of myself were turned away from Pokemon because of it, and I don't have the time or drive to breed such perfect Pokemon to be used in WiFi battles or Random Match. Granted, there's arguably no room for casual battlers anymore, so there you go.

tl;dr- What was once a nice game to play in multiplayer was kinda ruined for me with the way people use hacked Pokemon. Yes, I'm against PokeSav/PokeGen, but I can't do anything to stop it in a community that outright encourages the use of such tools, so I just don't play online. That's just my view on the matter.

(Note: I played in the GBU prior to the US/EUR launches of B1W1, and I almost always found a fair fight to enjoy. I did play for a few days after the US release, and found only hacked Pokemon from a majority of non-Japanese games/players. That's the viewpoint I'm using on that front.)

I use AR to get Pokemon to breed.

However, I wonder about the mindset of most ppl...

PokeSav = The best thing on earth for WiFi battlers.
Action Replay = OMG, it's so horrible.

No offence, but I feel that cheating is shameful. I think it takes away the enjoyment of the Pokemon games.

Personally, I think hacking perfect IV's is just abominable. It's very difficult to stop it, too, since it is completely legal, albeit close to impossible. It makes me wonder what these jerks on Random Match are thinking..."If you want to stand a chance against us, use PokeSav or PokeGen and give your Pokemon 31 IV's in every stat." No morality whatsoever. It frustrates me that people are essentially forcing you to cheat to have fun with a highly anticipated feature.

I think cheating was the funnest thing that happened to me. The Battle Frontier in Platinum was what made me snap, I guess one could say. After working hard and training as fairly as I could, reading up on EVERYTHING about breeding, EV-training, and so on, all my hard work would always be for naught because the Battle Frontier will ALWAYS make sure you lose. It's not fun for me to be frustrated because of one hax too many.

So when I started cheating, and took my first WonderEye and WonderTomb to the Battle Frontier, I was free. I was having fun again, and would never feel that horrible feeling of frustration again. That's what cheating is for me, it's fun. Nothing is more fun than cheating. I stand by those who cheat for fun. Indeed, people who cheat to be griefers are bad, but don't hate on the cheaters who do it for fun.

Last edited:
Personally, I think hacking perfect IV's is just abominable. It's very difficult to stop it, too, since it is completely legal, albeit close to impossible. It makes me wonder what these jerks on Random Match are thinking..."If you want to stand a chance against us, use PokeSav or PokeGen and give your Pokemon 31 IV's in every stat." No morality whatsoever. It frustrates me that people are essentially forcing you to cheat to have fun with a highly anticipated feature.

I think the legal check prevents hacked mons from random matchup. I think majority of the mons you encountered must be RNG'ed and cloned.

I think the legal check prevents hacked mons from random matchup. I think majority of the mons you encountered must be RNG'ed and cloned.

It's rather trivial to have a PokeSav'd team brought into Random Match. That's the problem with checking for hacked Pokemon: it's difficult. People do everything to make sure they pass such checks. Heck, even if they had a checksum that was only triggered if the Pokemon was legit, people would find a way around it. The only way to stop hacks outright would be to riddle the game with DRM, and even that would likely fail. Such is the nature of technology.

I personally don't cheat, but if someone wants to import an Arceus into their save, then they can do it. I don't really care if someone will cheat to get a Pokemon, but what does bother me is when people will trade poorly created hacks for legit Pokemon - that's not right. I feel sorry for the people getting an Ivysaur with Fire Blast and Thunder in exchange for a Machoke that they caught after a struggle with only 3 poke balls on hand.

Personally I see nothing wrong with using an Action Replay or Pokemon Selector or whatever, if it's for yourself. I think it makes the game a bit more enjoyable when you have access to more pokemon (or more tms in previous gens) and it doesn't my game experience that one of my friend cheats. If however, you try to trade cheated pokemon to someone else for legit ones, I think it should be discouraged because it's not fair to trade its own personal hard work for a cheat.

I personally don't cheat, but if someone wants to import an Arceus into their save, then they can do it. I don't really care if someone will cheat to get a Pokemon, but what does bother me is when people will trade poorly created hacks for legit Pokemon - that's not right. I feel sorry for the people getting an Ivysaur with Fire Blast and Thunder in exchange for a Machoke that they caught after a struggle with only 3 poke balls on hand.
This exactly.

With that in mind, I do [personally] RNG my teams now. It's so much simpler than spending hundreds of hours breeding for the same monsters, it feels like cheating and I fully understand why some people view it as such. I'm careful to mention that it's been rng'ed when arranging the trade. I don't like being surprised by pokemon that have been hacked, pokesav'ed or have premier ribbons from pokecheck. If I wanted a hack, I would have asked for one. Don't knowingly pass them off on me.

edit: competitive battling bores me to tears, so I don't do it. I just use my team(s) in-game until I get bored of them. I'm attempting to play through with every species.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom