• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Pokemon Headcanons.

Reaction score
Hey folks, this is a topic that generally amuses me, and I find interesting x3

Post here your headcanons about the Pokemon franchise, those are pieces of information you consider fact, or canon, to yourself, with varying degrees of canon support.

Keep in mind that because of their very nature, they aren't meant to be debated at length, because they're what each person believes in, so, no warring here please xD

This one isn't mine, but I liked it a lot, lol, it crosses over with the Zelda series :B:

2 branches of the Gerudo people went travelling, found a alternate dimension gate portal and stepped into it. They were trapped in this new world with no way to return, but they blended in just fine. One branch found an obsession with law enforcement, the other was about medicine. They are the nurse Joy and officer Jenny clans. The overwhelming dominant female genes, no sons only daughters, the clone like features even between distant cousins....

Pokemon is a multiverse, where each save file is a universe of its own. All save files of the same game version have a common past and branch at the point you pick New Game.
In order to have a semblance of continuity on which I can base most of my theories that go beyond a specific version, I have come up with a Main Headcanon, that goes beyond the boundaries of specific versions and elements of whose can be used in any save file universe to fill in everything that doesn't have to deviate from the Main because of how this version/save file is played.

For this Main Headcanon, only a few universes matter; its Mega Evolution/Infinity Energy one, its non-Mega/Infinity counterpart and all associated realms with them (their Distortion World, Ultra Space etc.) For Gen V only Black/Black 2 universe applies and for Gen VII both Sun and Moon universes do. Now let's get to the cool part, what is actually happening in it:

Kanto: the events that happen are a mix of Yellow, FRLG, Origins (a bit less than the others) and Generations. Red starts with Pikachu (as his in-game team in future games demands) and gets all the starters, Lapras and Snorlax as his main team. Unlike Yellow, he does journey in the Sevii Islands and like Origins, he received a Charizardite X from Mr. Fuji in Lavender Town, which he'll first use to battle Mewtwo in Cerulean Cave, yet he doesn't catch it or most of the Pokemon he did to completely fill the Pokedex. In his attempt to find Mew, he goes to Mt. Silver, which is where he's going to stay until the events of Johto. Non-Mega Universe Red is more of the same just without Mega Evolution, but the non-Mega version of this character doesn't matter much for the overall story.

Hoenn: the events that happened are a mix of Emerald, ORAS and Generations. Then I start making stuff up to explain some things from ORAS and Sun/Moon. Going to cover this before Johto because it is happening around the same time as Kanto. Brendan starts with Treecko and journeys through Hoenn. Like Emerald, he has to fight both Team Aqua and Magma on the locations Emerald demands, yet like ORAS he does get Mega Evolution and Latios (personal preference pick over Latias). Instead of the awakening of only Primal Kyogre or Primal Groudon, both are awakened in a similar fashion to Emerald, and Zinnia has to blow her cover earlier in the story and help Brendan go to the Sky Pillar and summon Mega Rayquaza to calm those down. The Delta Episode will still happen, even though that won't be the first time Mega Rayquaza appears in the plot. For the sake of simplicity and since Wallace's Champion team will be fought during the Delta Episode, Wallace is still Sootopolis Gym Leader and Steven is still Champion when Brendan is on his League quest, and the change to Juan as Leader and Wallace as Champion happens a bit later when Brendan won't be around (more later). Brendan then quickly clears Battle Maison in Battle Resort. At some points he requests that he meet the other child prodigy Champion (Red) and battle him, but he has already left (for Mt. Silver)

This is where I need to come up with stuff to fill in some gaps and solve some mysteries (Hoopa, Faller Anabel, amnesiac Looker), though. Non-Mega Brendan, by this point, is following a quest more closely related to Emerald which has little to do with ORAS. No Southern Island, No Delta Episode, Battle Frontier instead of Maison. There is still an unresolved crisis in Mega Hoenn (Hoopa opening rings all over the place and getting legendaries close to each other in a way that would tear the world apart) and two similar mysteries in both Mega and non-Mega universes; an amnesiac Looker in ORAS and Anabel, soon-to-be-amnesiac Faller from the non-Mega Universe. Plus Brendan disappearing. Let's not forget that about this point is 10 years earlier from Sun/Moon.

So this is where the Anabel Faller incident takes place. Mega Universe Brendan is contacted by Mega Looker for his help in fixing the problems with Hoopa, Brendan realizes he's seen the same person before as an amnesiac and takes him to Battle Resort to figure out what happened. There, the amnesiac (Non-Mega Fallen) Looker with the help of his alter ego starts figuring out things from his past, and they alongside Brendan go to confront Hoopa but are accidentally sent through a Hoopa ring to the non-Mega Universe and stuck there. They try to contact non-Mega Brendan who helps them out, only to figure out that before Looker was sent away, he and an unnamed soon-to-be-killed Faller were investigating Ultra Wormhole appearances around Battle Frontier, with the help of Anabel. The Brendans and Lookers finally reunite with Anabel and the other Faller for one final investigation of the incident now that they know more about it, the two worlds, the relation to Hoopa etc. In the events about to happen soon, the Faller is killed by a Guzzlord, Anabel (with amnesia) and Mega Looker end up on Poni Island, the other Looker stays behind on his own non-Mega universe (to get involved with the events in Platinum onwards) while the two Brendans are lost somewhere in Ultra Space, wandering around with amnesia, thus explaining why we're not seeing them again. Nanu is somehow involved too with the mission.

Johto: the events that happened are a mix of Crystal, HGSS and Generations. Like Crystal, he gets several encounters with Suicune and Eusine culminating in Bell Tower instead of Cerulean Cape, but most of the other content follows HGSS. He eventually finds and battles Red, snapping him out of his depression caused by being unable to find Mew/being undefeatable and bored for so long. More on this after Sinnoh, where I'll start making things up again. Non-Mega Universe is more of the same just without Mega Evolution.
Sinnoh: the events that happened are a mix of Platinum and Generations. Not much to say here yet, Lucas does the stuff we know of in Platinum.
THE ARCEUS STORY; also known as "that part where Zexy makes stuff up again 2: Electric Bogalloo". After the Ethan VS Red battle, the two start to bond more with Ethan helping Red get back to public life etc. Ethan challenges the Johto Battle Frontier (Lucas in Sinnoh did so already while Ethan was going through Kanto, the Frontier has moved to Johto from Battle Zone by now), fix a problem with Celebi and timelines (in which Ethan needs to go back and battle Giovanni so that he won't come to Team Rocket's aid during the Goldenrod Radio Tower events).

A bit later, when all that is done, a new crisis comes up. In Sinnoh there were unusual incidents in Turnback Cave while in Johto there were similar occurences in the Ruins of Alph. Steven from Hoenn is also around to help in Kanto (afraid that a Delta Episode or Hoopa-like/Ultra Space-like incident, depending on the universe, will happen again) and so are the two universes' Lookers. Cynthia takes Lucas to Sinjoh Ruins while Ethan/Red end up there through Ruins of Alph too. They all meet around and make it to the Mystri Stage.

The events about to unfold there are going to be sad, but necessary for the safety of the world (same goes for both universes, it happens simultaneously anyway). Sometime during the ritual, Palkia the ruler of space summons the universe's respective Brendan to the Stage. It is there revealed that according to an ancient prophecy, three brave Trainers need to sacrifice themselves by catching the Legendary Dialga, Palkia and Giratina and stay in their realms forever to stabilize the world, because Arceus' wrath has woken up again.

For Dialga, ruler of time, Ethan is chosen. He had interacted with Celebi and even crossed the timeways before to save the world.
For Palkia, ruler of space, Brendan is chosen. He had interacted with Hoopa and went across several spaces to save the world.
For Giratina, ruler of antimatter, Lucas is chosen. He had ventured in the Distortion World twice to save the world.

The three bid farewell to their friend Red and went on their separate ways to keep the world stable. Red vowed to carry on the wishes of his friends forever, fellow Champions who sacrificed themselves for the safety of the world. He would become the best Trainer around so he could make them proud. As Origins showed us, he would travel across Johto, Hoenn and Sinnoh to honor them, before going to Unova when invited for the PWT.

Unova: the events that happened here are based on Black/Black 2 and Generations. I picked Black because I believe Reshiram suits Hilbert better (he would search for the truth of where N went) while Zekrom suits Nate more. Anyway, the events of Black went pretty much exactly like the game showed while Black 2 had a difference. In the Giant Chasm, as Generations shows, Hilbert shows up with his dragon to fight the fused Kyurem. With Hilbert and Nate's help, Ghetsis is defeated and Kyurem is fully fused, with the two fulfilling the ancient prophecy that the heroes of truth and ideals would eventually reconcile and fuse the original dragon back. Hilbert, having left Unova for so long and having found the truth he seeked, left Nate to pursue his ideal of becoming Champion of Unova.

Nate would eventually battle Red in PWT and defeat him. This makes Red realize that he's still not the best and should keep going, he learns that the Kalos region recently changed Champion (and is where Mega Evolution came from, in the Mega Universe) and decides to head there next. Hilbert and Nate stay behind in Unova forever, this is the place where they belong and they never asked for anything more.

Just saying, there could be a split of all events to Black and White universes but I don't think it will achieve much. Unlike the other two splits that are going to happen in this (Mega non-Mega and Sun/Moon), Black and White don't ever interact with each other. Except Entralink/Key System shenaningans which I'm just not going to consider canon.

Kalos: the events happened here are based on XY, XY&Z anime (to fill in some Zygarde-related gaps) and Generations. Not sure how much a Non-Mega Kalos would have to offer. Calem probably went on his journey there and became Champion too without the help of said power, but if Infinity Energy isn't a thing... I'm not sure what purpose Team Flare/Lysandre would have at all there. But then again, the Legendaries of Kalos would still have Infinity Energy-like power even if the ultimate weapon was never built. Perhaps at this point it would be good to figure out that the other universe where this happened exists and Lysandre is trying to turn this one into a Mega Universe as well to make it more beautiful.

In the Mega Universe, there would be some differences from XY to make for a "third version" headcanon. It'd probably involve both Xerneas and Yveltal being used with Zygarde being used to calm them down in its Complete Form. But I could see part of Zygarde being controlled in an XY&Z-like fashion. After the end of this battle, all of Zygarde's components were blasted to Alola, which gives Sina/Dexio an incentive to go there and get them back.

I also wouldn't mind it if the main characters of this series were to be given immortality, it already happened with AZ so why not? Xerneas is involved in all this, after all.

As for Red and his journey in Kalos, he somehow encountered Zygarde according to Generations (still not sure how to fit this in since it should happen after Calem's encounter with Zygarde/Team Flare incident but also before Zygarde is entirely sent to Alola). We also know that Blue was there for a while (and was in PWT too), so it's possible that he came here again to meet Red. It's pretty clear that the two reconciled, Blue seems to have matured a lot and Red probably was in much need of a best friend after losing three of them, and most importantly Ethan, in the Arceus incident. The Mega versions of them somehow got full access to Mega Evolution by now, as in more than what we saw in Origins. Either here or in Hoenn.

Alola: the events happened here are based on Sun/Moon only, and USUM eventually. The interesting part here is that the Main Headcanon should have both a Sun Universe and a Moon Universe, one pair for Mega and one for Non-Mega so the main univrses are 4 instead of 2. For the purposes of every single event before Sun/Moon, everything I said happened in the Mega or Non-Mega Universe happens in both the Sun and Moon variants of that universe. So there were 2 Faller incidents and 4 Arceus incidents. In the Sun ones we have Sun the male protagonist going for Sun's story, in the Moon ones we have Moon the female protagonist going for Moon's story. In the post-game, where it is possible to use your cover legendary in its altar to access the other universe, it would make sense that the Suns and Moons meet, and the birth of new Cosmog in the Lakes could be because of both of them with their cover legnedaries help it to happen.

Meanwhile, Red and Blue who have reunited are asked to come in Battle Tree and do so. They get access to Z-Moves, I'd think they're above 20 at this point so they can't do the island challenge to get them the regular way (unless they somehow managed to do it at the last moment, months if not days before they'd become 20) but since they are champions I doubt they'd have any problems with defeating the Kahunas/Captains and getting them anyway.

A few more things, it's getting a bit darker here since there is some death and extramarital affairs etc. so if you feel like stopping here, don't open the spoiler:
Red's father and Blue's parents, the child of Prof. Oak: Two theories I can go with here. In any case, Prof. Oak's son and father of Blue was a great Trainer and Champion before Lance until the day he disappeared to chase after Mew. Blue's mother might've died at his birth. From there on, either said son of Prof. Oak was good friends with Red's father who's also disappeared somehow, or he is Red's father himself, making him half-brothers with Blue and Daisy. I believe this would give better perspective to the story; Red is the grandson of Prof. Oak as well and went on a similar quest to find Mew as his father, to everyone's worry. But at least he came back. It could even be made a point that said father was found barely before the Arceus incident but had to be the sacrifice that will keep Arceus himself in check. In any case I believe that said son of Prof. Oak should've made it to Guyana at some point to get Mew and now actually has Mew.

Speaking of which, I should elaborate on a Mr. Fuji/Blaine/Giovanni/this person story related to Mew/Mewtwo/Guyana someday, I think that's some cool dark stuff Gen I left behind that could make a good story off it.

Hilbert and Nate's (and N's?) father: Once again, I'm going to suggest that it's the same person who gave birth to Hilbert and Nate, making these two half-brothers as well. The two end up being the new incarnations of the twins of the oringal dragon's legend. They sure can't be twins because Hilbert should be older, they have different mothers and live in areas on opposite sides of the map... but they could share a father. Having them as brothers would give the legend and fulfilled prophecy some more oomph than those being just some random strangers. Oh, and if we really want to stretch it, since N was adopted by Ghetsis, why not give him the same father too?

Sun and Moon are siblings: Just making this clear, but people born in different universes to counterparts (essentially like twins) of the same people should be siblings. So all the Brendans/Lookers who co-existed in the story could be treated as twins to each other. For Sun and Moon we can't say they're identical twins of course, but they still should be born to the same parents making them siblings. So I have no plans of Sun X Moon cross-universe shipping here. My favourite pairings are Sun X Lillie and Gladion X Moon anyway.

Idk if it counts as a headcanon, but I firmly believe that Venonat and Butterfree were designed to be directly related to each other (i.e. Venonat was supposed to evolve into Butterfree and Caterpie/Metapod were supposed to evolve into Venomoth); however, for some unknown reason, whether mistake or intention, they got switched backwards. If I were to ever participate in the creation of a fanmade Pokemon game, I would resolve this issue.

Oh, and I also believe that, retroactively, Looker is the police agent on the S.S. Anne in Gen I. If we were to ever get another Kanto remake, or a sequel, I would enjoy to see this potential connection confirmed/referenced.

One of my headcanons is that not all Pokemon are native to the region they were introduced. For example: while Eevee is introduced to us in Kanto back in Gen I, the only way to obtain it is as a gift. As in: "You can't catch this here, because it's from far far away."

Grimsley, Marshal, and Shauntal are childhood friends and started their journey together. (I think their hometown should be the 2nd town from either BW1 or BW2, because pokétrios tend to start in small towns) Grimsley with Snivy, Marshal with Tepig, and Shauntal with Oshawott. They did all the Unova journey together, they fought gyms but also did Pokewood and the musical from the ferriswheel city. They even fought the then-E4 together (as in, Grimsley, Marshal, and Shauntal having three League battles at the exact same time, and each of them had a diff opponent) and proved worthy opponents to Alder (who was already the Unova champion back then!) but did'nt become Champions themselves or even beat him. But Marshal did become Alder's apprentice at the time.

Then they went to Sinnoh together, where they not only did gym fights and contests and even the battle frontier, but also participated in the war against Guzzlord and won it. This war is the key of the events in the 13 year gap between GSC\DPPt and BW1.

Looker, Nanu, the third member (a whole new character a la N\Colress\AZ\Emma\Zinnia\Lillie - will appear in DPPt remakes), Croagunk, Cynthia, protag!Diamond\Lucas, Barry, and pseudorival!Platina\Dawn Berlitz were all trying to fight Guzzlord together in the name of the International Police and the Sinnoh league. Then, suddenly, Grimsley, Shauntal, Marshal, and their new friend (a newly-trainerized and psychic-controleld Caitlin) broke into the scene and ended up defeating Guzzlord. This is why they're called the Warriors (with matching blurbs). And that's how they got promoted from Gym Leaders (and Frontier Brain) to E4. Caitlin is actually a few years older than Grimsley, Marshal, and Shauntal. Also they had different blurbs as Gym Leaders. Marshal was "the tiger-punching hero", Shauntal was "The feline ghostwriter", and Grimsley "The gambling vampire".

Idk if it counts as a headcanon, but I firmly believe that Venonat and Butterfree were designed to be directly related to each other (i.e. Venonat was supposed to evolve into Butterfree and Caterpie/Metapod were supposed to evolve into Venomoth); however, for some unknown reason, whether mistake or intention, they got switched backwards. If I were to ever participate in the creation of a fanmade Pokemon game, I would resolve this issue.
To expand on this, what I believe is that during the development of the games, the sprite art for Venomoth and Butterfree was mistakenly switched, and due to the troubles they had with pokémon data (as discussed in interviews about Mew, which also included losing the debug tools) it was too late to correct it when they noticed.
The development of the games was kinda chaotic and similar mistakes occured for other things (Ghost ineffective to Psychic etc), writing the wrong number for the wrong butterfly is an extremely easy mistake to make. Internally they're also very close to each other, in the same data bank.

Unfortunately they went along with it instead of fixing it in Blue. It's very glaring too, since early venomoth art looks closer to a type of Swallowtail, the larva of which literally is just straight-up a real life Caterpie. (And of course I don't need to point out Venonat...)

It upsets me a little, since I like swallowtails.

I've posted a lot on Tumblr, here are a few:
  • Mr.Mime’s name came from a misunderstanding. It was the nickname of a specimen caught by a foreign researcher. Upon returning, they referred to their new capture by its nickname as opposed to “Barrierd”. Eventually, the name stuck despite several calls for the English name to be changed to the original Japanese.
  • Long-lived Ninetales can shapeshift into humans - specifically beautiful women, young girls, or the elderly. Transformed Ninetales are always identified by the tails poking out of their clothing and a nonhuman shadow. One can also get possessed by elderly Ninetales, though this is incredibly rare. Red eyes are the most common indicator of possession.
  • Carnivorous and herbivorous Pokémon are rarely fed fresh meat and vegetation by their trainers. Both are perishable, so trainers are discouraged from bringing these along with them; they’re encouraged to instead buy these at markets in town. Canned Pokémon feed are sorted by Pokémon type as well as eating behaviours, and are readily available at every Pokémart.
  • A small phrase prior to sending out a Pokémon is a common tradition amongst trainers. It usually has no meaning, and is usually said for the ‘coolness’ or ‘elegance’ factor, or just to stand out. Most people stick to variations of ‘Go’ or ‘I Choose You!’, but personal ones are much more common. Cynthia’s ‘Battle Dance!’ is a famous example of a personalized phrase.
  • Kissing a party member’s Pokéball before sending it out is seen as a good luck charm amongst trainers. This is usually reserved for one’s ace or starter, and is seen as indicative of that person’s trust or confidence towards their Pokémon. Some people also apply this little ‘ritual’ towards every member of their team.
One of my headcanons is that not all Pokemon are native to the region they were introduced. For example: while Eevee is introduced to us in Kanto back in Gen I, the only way to obtain it is as a gift. As in: "You can't catch this here, because it's from far far away."
This makes sense, actually. Eevee could actually be Kalos-native due to Route 10's seemingly natural population. Likewise, Farfetch'd, Lickitung, Jynx, Mr.Mime are actually native to Johto.

Which brother Kyurem sided with had the upper hand in their conflict separated the Black and White universes. This dragon became the better known to be enshrined in a tower and has more compatibility with Kyurem, possibly having stayed AS the Kyurem form during the conflict, while the other became more forgotten to history and lost in the ruins.
The player character in Black and White is a reincarnation of the losing brother. But the dragon did not see them as a hero in their own right, not having improved enough to be able to win this time. Not only Reshiram and Zekrom care more about whether a person either is really a hero at heart or has the potential to be one, they outright do not trust you to be possibly able to win at first, and thus not worthy of them.

Also Kyurem (when it was full) did descend to Earth as a meteor. And without inquire nor desire in its morality afterwards, it doesn't really care about simply eating people. Even if it probably doesn't need to. Those rumors are all true.

Most models of pokeball have an inner lock, allowing Pokemon inside to leave whenever it wishes, but also a blockade to it so trainers can prevent more destructive of their Mon to pop out in the middle of the city and go on rampage. Most of Pokemon in anime that regulary jump out of their pokeballs (Misty's Psyduck, Brock's Croagunk, James's Chimecho and Mime Jr) can do so due to their trainers not locking their pokeballs - Wobbuffet meanwhile is just that good at breaking through said lock (as Jessie even states at one point he's capable of leaving his ball whenever he wants despite her locking it with every possible method).

Also, I like how in Adventures manga the lid of pokeball could become translucent to allow trainer to check on their Pokemon and Pokemon to see what's happening outside. Even though it never appeared in any other canon, I still consider it 101% canonical in every single version of Pokemon canon.

The Original Dragon is Kyurem when Kyurem was whole. Kyurem does not pick sides and rather follow the hero who's morally neutral and will make the utmost effort to help the hero make that kind of world a reality. Regardless of all the reputation, the ancient people of Lacunosa Town are the actual bad guys as they betrayed the Original Dragon because of the constant desire for power that the people of the town had. After a raid by Kyurem is when they decided it isn't worth expanding the town and obtaining more power. As such, the Lacunosa Town legend is a one-sided story meant to smear Kyurem's reputation. Only the original king of Unova knows of the treasonous acts that Lacunosa Town committed when Unova was almost united.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom