• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your popular video game opinions

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
We have one on hot takes, but what about cold takes???

Some of mine:

The 360 is microsoft’s best console, same for sega and the genesis/mega drive, and sony with the PS2.

Smash melee was a great way to show off the gamecube’s improved abilities compared to the N64.

symphony of the night and aria of sorrow are the best of the castlevania side of metroidvanias.

call of duty was better back in the day.

some series like assassins creed, kingdom hearts, metal gear, and legend of zelda have too much lore and are hard to get into without playing 20 million games on outdated consoles.

the N64 controller is an affront to visual design and feels awful to hold

The PS2 was a great system.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is fantastic, and the most refreshing game I had played in years.

The Sims 4 is the worst The Sims game.

I still enjoy mainline Pokemon games. (not uncritically, though!)

The GCN controller is one of the best.

Last edited:
The original Crash Bandicoot and Spyro games are the best in both series.

FE Fates "story" and "worldbuilding" is legitimately terrible and is the weakest installment in the series, Conquest's gameplay and most of it's characters (depending on route) are the only good things about it; it also shouldn't have been three separate games.

The Taguel in FE Awakening is a Walmart brand Laguz; the Kitsune and Wolfskin in Fates are slightly better thought out.

If a Fire Emblem Warriors 2 happens there needs to be more characters that aren't from the Archanea/Ylisse and lol no continent Fates games.

Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, and Tales of series' have some of the best OST's in gaming.

Final Fantasy VI, VIII, and IX deserve remakes.

Cloud Strife is a good FF protagonist and isn't just "emo" in the VII Compilation and any guest appearances.

Angeal Hewley is a boring character in Crisis Core and his obsession with honor is annoying.

Touhou isn't that hard of a shmup.

The final boss fight in Octo Valley from Splatoon 1 is better than the boss fight in Octo Canyon from Splatoon 2. Also, the Octo Expansion story DLC is so much better than the Octo Canyon storyline.

DLCs should generally only be used for adding content to a game, never for inserting purposefully unreleased missing content that should have been in the game's original release in the first place (patches for bugs and like are another thing, though). And full-blown expansion packs are still better any day.

Bioware games, overall, declined in quality after EA bought the studio.

Speaking of.... EA is one of the most corporate-greedy game companies out there, and consumers should stop buying into their greedy practices.

Video game remakes and remasters are generally a good thing that many games could benefit from having.

The best Paper Mario games are the first two (64 and Thousand-Year Door) though I will admit that Origami King is actually quite good and there are parts that I just truly love of it

Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver are the best Pokemon games

Resident Evil 4 is great and the best RE game

Animal Crossing: City Folk is by far the weakest link of the mainline Animal Crossing games.

That the extra censoring of Dragon Quest 8 for the 3DS was unnecessary. I know that things were different back in 2002, so they could get away with more back then, but still, I feel they should've bitten the bullet and increased the rating to B in Japan (which is equal to Teen in the states) so they could've left the various bits uncensored. That said, I do feel the added content of the 3DS version made it the best version of Dragon Quest 8, such as adding Morrie and Red to the party (adds more party diversity and character interactions), expanding backstories like Dhoulmagus (did I spell that right?) and Hero, extra areas and enemies like Rhapthorn's right-hand demon, and the crown jewel of the game, being allowed to marry Jessica. That's one of my main gripes with DQ, as they often try to force you to marry certain characters with the "you have a backstory with this character that you barely interact with in-game" excuse, so giving some freedom to choose is always nice.

That the Breath of Fire series is an underrated gem for old-school RPG fans and deserves more love, especially from Capcom themselves. However, 5 and 6 are a terrible insult to the series and shouldn't be allowed to exist.

That the 2016 Ratchet & Clank "re-imagining" was a huge insult to the series and Insomniac should've used the time with the PS4 to continue the series where they left off. Also, Talwyn is the best girl for Ratchet hands down. Love their interactions since they've met and they've only gotten closer with each game.

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth is the best game in the Digimon franchise. The characters were diverse and well-written with lots of good quirks and gags, the character development was outstanding, and the villains were very entertaining and interesting. It has it's fair share of issue like translation hiccups and such, and the story slows down around the later chapters, but, overall, it was the best game the franchise ever made. Also, shifting gears for the franchise to cater more for older fans over kids was a very smart move, as Digimon does have more mature themes, so it would sell better and have it no longer be in conflict with other "kid" shows like Pokemon is something I appreciate.

That the 2016 Ratchet & Clank "re-imagining" was a huge insult to the series and Insomniac should've used the time with the PS4 to continue the series where they left off. Also, Talwyn is the best girl for Ratchet hands down. Love their interactions since they've met and they've only gotten closer with each game.

What was wrong with it? Does it have anything to do with the movie?

What was wrong with it? Does it have anything to do with the movie?

Yes, but I still considering it an insult, as it completely scraps some of the characters' already established personalities with different ones. Ratchet, for example, became a goodie-goodie fanboy nerd, which are three things he hates in the regular series, worships the ground Qwark walks on (something he'd never do normally, especially after the original 2002 game), doesn't realize he's being used and mistreated (which he'd pick up on more quickly in the other games), and doesn't have a single shred of his snark-laced, street-smart personality like he normally has. In the movie Ratchet is a bit better (though not by much), but the game completely turns his established personality on its head. Plus, the other characters were just blegh. Give me Talwyn, Cronk, Zephyr, the real Nefarious, and the more sage-like Plumber any day over those garbage or rehashed characters. The 2002 game was lightyears better than the 2016 game, even when Ratchet was less likeable back then. At least he got some good character development that carried over throughout the series. This Ratchet I'll very heavily pass on. Reboot or re-imagining, I don't care what they call it, it's still garbage and an insult to the main games.

Even in the original game, he didn't know about Qwark's treachery until Qwark himself revealed he was working for Drek. As a re-something, this Ratchet isn't expected to know since its a different version of the same character.
----
Mega Man Battle Network 4 is the worst in the series. Although I still want to at least give it a try.

Final Fantasy Tactics/War of the Lions is one of the best tactical RPG's ever.

ARPG's are fun and FFXVI being one isn't bad.

Impey is the best character in the Code: Realize series.

Dimitri and Claude are the two best lords in FE Three Houses.

Jugdral and Tellius have the best worldbuilding in the FE series.

Hollow Knight's Shade is a poorly conceived mechanic that adds nothing to the game. The benches in Hollow Knight are already spread so thinly that simply having to trek back to where you died is already punishing enough that dangling the threat of losing your entire stock of Geo over your head is pointless and frustrating. Forcing you to do it in a weakened state simply adds insult to injury.

Danzaburou looks like he's going to be a lot of fun to play as in Smite. I have seen preview gameplay of him on YouTube. I can't wait for the December 15th patch that adds this legendary tanuki to the game.

The void fog in Minecraft did not add anything worthwhile to the game and all it did was reduce the player's view and caused the game to have framerate issues. I'm glad it's removed.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom