• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your reaction on the way writers treat past charathers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midnightmoon602

Face it, I'm cute
Reaction score
Well? How do you think the writers have protrayed the past charathers in the show so far? and you predictions on how they might impact BW.

I personally feel mixed up about this. i mean some camos had a bigger impact than most. such as Misty camo in AG didn't impact the show as much as May's at the Wallace Cup arc. Or that maybe Dawn might won't make a camo in BW since she has her own special. what do you think of all of this?

And the fact to understand when a certain chararther has their 'final camo'. some have been refering this to Misty since she hasn't made any contact with Ash whatsoever since around 2006 with is about five years ago. do you think its right just to make a chararther make a camo and then never to be heard from again without a proper goodbye? I'm not saying Misty won't make a camo again its just a thought, a idea at most.

I believe also that the writers are getting better in handling the old chararthers. chararthers such as Gary and Jasmine might made a small camo in DP but at least they showed their faces once again. not like back in early AG the only one who really made a camo was Misty and sadly it didn't impact the show as much as it could of. but now BW is out do you think they will go back to their old habit of forgetting the past charathers or will they improve and show more of the old chararthers since Kanto to Sinnoh?

How they handled Jessibelle was a disgrace. She didn't do anything that established herself as the unique, memorable character from back in Kanto, and it left me wondering why they bothered to have her show up again if they were going to have her act like basically an entirely new character.

How they handled Jessibelle was a disgrace. She didn't do anything that established herself as the unique, memorable character from back in Kanto, and it left me wondering why they bothered to have her show up again if they were going to have her act like basically an entirely new character.
This. I was so excited for her appearance, and man was it a disappointment. I was expecting to see that lunatic snob yandere from the old Kanto episode... Yet she was bland as a white wall, and not funny for the tiniest bit. Ugh. Not to mention they treated Gar-chan poorly as well.

She didn't even whip anyone! Sure her entrance was awesome, but it was all downhill from there. And James's big problem with her was suddenly that she wanted him to get rid of Growly? Not even the years of abuse? Not even a mention?

I think that really, after a while of not having cameos on the show (4+ years, I guess) most major characters probably won't appear again. The writers don't expect everyone to stay watching the same show for its lifetime, and when it gets to the end of Ash's journey, however far that is away, most old fans would have gone so they have no need of showing any older characters. That probably is the sad truth, so I think if characters don't cameo in BW, they never will.

Though all I wish for is a small cameo by a certain character when Ash is in the league or becomes a pokemon master...

I've heard about this and i haven't watched the episode myself. may i ask? Was Jessibelle handed THAT bad? i don't remember much of her. all i can remember is that whip of hers.

I actually don't really mind how they treat the old characters. I don't feel the need to see them again after they have left as I can watch the episodes they had in their original sagas.

When it comes to older characters like Misty my biggest complain is that writers never used her as much as they could have leaving lot of potential untapped resulting in many plots of her story being left unexplored.

From her goal of water master,potential to do more with her pokemon team,give her some rivals(like that water trainer Marina from Orange Islands who was perfect)to fact of writers never fleshing out Misty and her backstory enough leaving lot of things to be desired and veiled with mystery.

Its a shame in what way writers are treating past characters like May or Misty having them appear for one or two small appearances after they leave cast being left to rot in wasteland never to be seen again like they never played any important role in this show or existed.

I dont think they will be completely erased fropm face of existence because that would be just wrong and disrespectful toward fans and character leaving negative mark on pokemon anime and writers but things sadly doesnt look good at all.

It would be better if they would cut down abit on character replacing giving chance to some of older characters to shine bringing them back to main cast to develop them more and tie up loose ends in their stories.Even though i know how this most likely wont happen.

I actually don't really mind how they treat the old characters. I don't feel the need to see them again after they have left as I can watch the episodes they had in their original sagas.

Exactly. I don't expect to see the characters I like after they leave the main cast. If the writers make them appear again, then bonus, but I don't get mad if they don't.

I'd rather see new fresh faces doing new original stuff. (Iris feel free to start on that anytime now...)

I'd rather see new fresh faces doing new original stuff. (Iris feel free to start on that anytime now...)

To be fair older characters can be refreshed too through new pokemon,clothes and subplots in their stories doing new things.

Some long time gone characters like May or Misty feel more "fresh"at this point than characters who just left main cast because of not being seen for a very long time.

I guess we have different views on this subject.Im more for utilizing characters you already have developing them further instead of starting everything from scratch.

Well, I don't really care that much about the old characters, but I don't mind seeing cameos sometimes.
It'd be nice to see Misty in a cameo, 'cause I really love Misty, and the same goes for Brock, May etc.
(Though, I DON'T want to see that annoying Dawn again, 'cause I just hate her... x'D)

With BW's fresh start I doubt they will bother with any older characters again.

With BW's fresh start I doubt they will bother with any older characters again.

This is obvious baiting but whatever.

Judging by random older characters return in DP like Gary or Jessibelle shows how writers can be quite unpredictable and unothordox when it comes to comebacks of older characters.I wouldnt rule out completely getting some pleasant surprise in Unova down the road aswell.

No, this saga is more of a fresh start than others. DP still had many older characters and constant references to old characters.

BW hasn't had any. Ash only talks about Kanto, we've seen no mention of his adventures in DP or prior. Its almost as if this saga has purposely done away with mentioning old events.

They wouldn't even show TR say goodbye to their pokemon because they didn't want those old pokemon to be seen in a BW episode.

No, this saga is more of a fresh start than others. DP still had many older characters and constant references to old characters.

To be fair aside from Brock leaving this saga doesnt seem anymore like "fresh start"than Hoenn or DP were following more or less same formula.

BW hasn't had any. Ash only talks about Kanto, we've seen no mention of his adventures in DP or prior. Its almost as if this saga has purposely done away with mentioning old events.

If ASh talks about Knmo this serves as testament howe references ti older sagas are indeed being made.Considering how prof.Oak,Dehlia,Team Rocket etc are being showed with Giovanni making his return serves as indicator how pokemon anime is still one big continuity having connections to past.

Speaking of older pokemon,their default can be explaine by simple fsact of Unova beig portayed as region which is ery far fro any other region making it harder for pokemon to migrate iover there.
Howevr with older trainers like Ash we might get to see more of older pokemon in Best Wishes later on in series.

As long Ash is in this show with series not getting cpmplete reboot older characers have chance to return.Reasons exist and could be used,material and potential on which they could expand developing character more is there.

In reality it depends only on writers whether they want to use character and do something about it either to develop his story further or help push forward one of current plots.

They have to mention Kanto since that's where Ash lives and where Delia/Oak are from. They don't mention anything else.

We did not see Ash leave behind his DP team, we did not see TR leave behind their old Pokemon.

We did not even see Tracey or Mr. Mime, who have ALWAYS been at Pallet all the other times.

The fact that they are even doing that says al ot.

The charactes might get vauge mentions every now, and then. Gary, Oak, and Delia especially will never gone forever. Sadly better characters like Paul, Barry, or Ursula will probably never be seen again. May, Dawn, Misty, and Brock might get an appearance once in a blue moon (moreso the former 3 than Brock).

They still exist though. It took May 60 episodes to even get a mention. I'm sure we'll see some signs of older series, even if it takes a while. They can't just forget everything that happened before whilst still having Ash in the show.

I don't care, tbh. :/

I'm pretty much meh to most of the human characters anyway, so it's no big deal really. I mean when they appear it's nice and awesome, and if/when they fade away you can just watch the old episodes with them in it and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom