• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your reaction on the way writers treat past charathers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, Misty's not important? Really?

How is Misty more important than any other character? She's a short-lived character that had one of the smaller roles for a female protagonist (only above Iris so far), and when AG was airing everyone agreed May had a far bigger role and was more important than her. Then Dawn had an even bigger role than that.

How is Misty more important than any of the girls who came after her? I can't think of a single thing. She's a short-lived minor character that was replaced by the far more important May in AG, and then they went onward to Dawn, etc. from there.

Misty's actually retroactively become one of the least important characters in the entire anime. You don't even have to know who Misty is to watch Pokemon, as you can now watch almost 450 episodes of Pokemon and not see Misty in a single episode.

Or better yet, since they weren't going to develop Misty's goal that much further, they should've taken Brock off at the same time as her because he didn't get much development in his later years on the show. Give him his development sooner, and have some male tagalong to take his place.

If Misty was kept for Hoenn considering how Takeshi Shudo didnt had anymore input in this show,writers would probably increase her role giving her better treatment.
She always received more focus than Brock had,being easier to do more with character who is a trainer being possible to have his screentime increased through more battles or taking place in competoitions.

As we can see by TR for example they decided to streghtened their position by having Jessie starting to do contests in order to give them more of importance.If they decided to keep Misty its very likely they would have to give character more of importance to justify his staying into this show and one of posibillities would have been more of exoansion oits goal with Whirl Cup by ed of Johto showing how they finally fugured ou how to giuve character more to do and in which direction to take it.

How is Misty more important than any other character? She's a short-lived character that had one of the smaller roles for a female protagonist (only above Iris so far), and when AG was airing everyone agreed May had a far bigger role and was more important than her. Then Dawn had an even bigger role than that.

And yet she is longest lasting female so far.

Of course that May and Dawn had bigger roles therefore influencing plot of this show in bigger measure,but when it comes to Ash developmnt as trainer Misty and Brock played bigger importance to his growth from rookie to competent trainer than other characters did.

Not to mention MIsty was psrt of original trio who left bigger impact on this series than any other group after them did.

I think above poster was reffering to this when mentioning it.

How is Misty more important than any of the girls who came after her?

Cause she was the first one?

Not that I care or think that she's super important, but she was the first girl. Kinda noteworthy.

I always felt May and Dawn were pointless. Just as Jessie developed a love of Contests, so could Misty. Also water Pokemon are more beautiful and elegant so would have done very well in the contests.

They didn't need Gen 2 girl for Johto, so why did they need Gen 3 girl for Hoenn? And before you say she was only in Crystal, so was the GS Ball, and the writers knew about that during the Indigo League still as that's what got Ash to Orange Islands and then to Johto. So if they knew about the GS Ball, I'm sure they knew about Kris, but didn't see the need to replace Misty then, so why replace Misty in Gen 3?

Gliscor, she is important because she was one of the original 3, she was part of the reason for the shows success, the anime is nowhere near as big as it used to be, and many fans still play the games but don't watch the anime.

I don't know about other countries but in the UK, the anime was successful before the games, and it was only the insane success of the tv show that made people discover the games, and part of the reason for that was the characters. The Trio of Ash Misty and Brock, is iconic! If you say Misty has been gone 8 years, then it's a good sign of how much she was loved for people to still want her back. 8 years after May left, I doubt people will be asking for her to return, in fact, even now, no one seems to be wanting May to return.

I think above poster was reffering to this when mentioning it.

No he wasn't, that's why I am responding to him.

Misty's only in roughly 40% of the total episodes of the anime. She hasn't had a real cameo since 2005.

The writers haven't done a single thing with Misty to make her seem more important than anyone else. Instead its the opposite.

Granted we know most of the other characters probably won't cameo much anymore either, but that doesn't matter at this point.

I remember the feeling of joy I had when I found out Brock was coming back for Johto. (A bit ironic that halfway through Sinnoh right until the end I was desperate for him to leave.) When I heard that the new girl from Gen 5 wasn't in the lineup, and my cousin who is too young to remember the old series, told me it was a new girl, I so hoped it was actually Misty returning and that he just didn't know about her and thought she was new, they replaced Brock, so I thought they might have brought back Misty. Alas, my hopes were dashed, and I was left, with a poor quality Misty clone. Axew honey, you got nothing on Togepi.

They didn't need Gen 2 girl for Johto, so why did they need Gen 3 girl for Hoenn?

LOL, what fandom were you in? People complained how badly handled Misty was over the entire span of Johto and the Johto saga itself was handled horribly. People used to talk about how Togepi destroyed Misty's character. The original trio bombed and failed spectacularly over the course of the horrible Johto arc.

May was more popular than Misty over the entire span AG was airing. Not only were the Contests the best received addition to the show, but May was handled much better than Misty and was the writers apology for how badly handled the character was in Johto.

When AG was airing, anyone who suggested Misty to return was told to, "get out of the past" and to let it go. May's popularity is not only what drove the final nail in Misty's coffin, it pretty much killed any chance for her to return.

May was tremendously more popular than Misty was. Since when was Misty EVER more popular than May or the Contests? The writers axed Misty from the show permanently because the Contests were so popular at the time and May was so vastly preferred over her.

There are people out there who really think the writers would ever choose Misty over May? The writers stopped Misty's cameos because they give them to May instead.

Misty became stale, one-dimensional and horribly handled over the course of the Johto arc. May was a hell of a lot more popular than Misty at the time, and its laughable to say otherwise.

No he wasn't, that's why I am responding to him.

QUOTE]

Yes I was. I never said she was more important than any other character. I was talking about the impact she left not only on Ash, but on fans as a whole. She's still the only female companion to last 2 regions. 3 if you wanna count the Orange Islands as seperate.

Yes I was. I never said she was more important than any other character. I was talking about the impact she left not only on Ash, but on fans as a whole. She's still the only female companion to last 2 regions. 3 if you wanna count the Orange Islands as seperate.

Here's a newsflash: Nobody cares that Misty's in all those Johto episodes. She does absolutely nothing in 90% of them.

LOL, what fandom were you in?

Here we have good example of someone who is unable to respect other people opinions.

People complained how badly handled Misty was over the entire span of Johto and the Johto saga itself was handled horribly. People used to talk about how Togepi destroyed Misty's character. The original trio bombed and failed spectacularly over the course of the horrible Johto arc.

What people?You mean you and your delusional claims?

For your information i was present online during those days and outside of small minority which didnt liked way Misty changed as character acting like she lost "character" majority complained about her lack of screentime in that saga not having problems with personality which Misty never lost in Johto to begin with.

If you go back rewatching Johto you can notice how Misty was full of character in that region aswell,showing her caring side,sarcasm,competitive determination,quirks like love foir water types,fear from bugs etc.
Only thing which was different about her was one of her personality traits being subdued like temper appearing on surface to smaller extent.

So next time before you start claiming "fallacious claims"you should do some research.

May was more popular than Misty over the entire span AG was airing. Not only were the Contests the best received addition to the show, but May was handled much better than Misty and was the writers apology for how badly handled the character was in Johto.

Interesting because whoever i meet in real life dont even pay attention much to new seasons claiming how anime was at its best when Misty and original trio was around.All over the internet instead of "AG praise"your seeming to claim i only encounter thousands of people wanting that Misty returnes and original trio gets reunitd.That can be noticed through dozen of petitions,massive amount of complaints i can encounter on youtube and various pokemon sites.

If anything original trio and Misty are online getting far more praise than May ever got.

When AG was airing, anyone who suggested Misty to return was told to, "get out of the past" and to let it go. May's popularity is not only what drove the final nail in Misty's coffin, it pretty much killed any chance for her to return.

Funny because i remember opinions being pretty divided around here on subject of Misty returning back.On some sites like pokecommunity big majority was actually for Mistys return.
Few people who werent able to respect other people opinions coming out in offensive manner with usage of derogatory statements doesnt represent "everyone".

May was tremendously more popular than Misty was. Since when was Misty EVER more popular than May or the Contests? The writers axed Misty from the show permanently because the Contests were so popular at the time and May was so vastly preferred over her.

Nice joke,May never managed to surpass Mistys character in terms of popularity.Their fanbases has always been more or less equal.If anything sole fact of Mistys departure causing alot more uproar around fandom than Mays did says alot with biggest demand out of all replaced character so far existing in Mistys case with numerous petitions which contains thousands of signatires being made to this day.
Check little on youtube,various pokemon sites,petitions etc.Misty is extremely popular even nowdays.

When May left hardly anyone lifted up dust about it.I dont know in what world are you living,but reality is completely different.

and its laughable to say otherwise.

Only thing which is laughable in here are your delusional claims.

Here's a newsflash: Nobody cares that Misty's in all those Johto episodes. She does absolutely nothing in 90% of them.

You doesnt represent whole fandom.And for your information before you start throwing randomly numbers do some research.

Mistys received more batling screentime than she did in Kanto and Orange getting alot more focus than you are implying to.

There's a reason why Misty was dropped from the show as quickly and easily as she was.

Its possible Misty's departure was a, "test" at first, and she may have originally been planned to come back, but once May became too popular and the Contests became so well-liked in the anime, that's why they decided to give up on Misty.

Nobody=You and some other people that I haven't seen. One of your main arguments seems to be that Misty sucked in Johto and that nobody liked her. Thats an opinion, which isn't true as plenty of people liked her. Misty's leaving the trio caused a bigger uproar than any other females. The fact that she's been gone so long and STILL has many people wanting to see her again is proof that she's still popular and IS in fact important to people.

Not sure where the hate or the rude comments are coming from, but this is a forum so its to be expected.

It always seemed to me that Misty and May are equally popular. Neither of them seems more popular than the other, since their fanbases are pretty much the same size. :/

Nobody=You and some other people that I haven't seen. One of your main arguments seems to be that Misty sucked in Johto and that nobody liked her. Thats an opinion, which isn't true as plenty of people liked her. Misty's leaving the trio caused a bigger uproar than any other females. The fact that she's been gone so long and STILL has many people wanting to see her again is proof that she's still popular and IS in fact important to people.

Its because some people are nostalgic fans who still cry over Charizard and the original 151. This is also why you still see more praise for Kanto and the first 151 Pokemon than anything else.

And it is a pretty common agreed opinion in the fandom that Misty was handled badly in the Johto arc. People complained about how stale she became in Johto very similar to how Brock was in DP.

And the, "uproar" was only in the minds of obsessed shippers and nostalgic fans. I was in the fandom over the entire span Advanced Generation was airing, (both here, on Serebii, and other anime sites) and anyone who suggested Misty to return was usually openly mocked and laughed out of the anime section.

Its not even possible to say otherwise, as May's Contests were the most popular part of the series immediately following Misty's departure.

It always seemed to me that Misty and May are equally popular. Neither of them seems more popular than the other, since their fanbases are pretty much the same size. :/

The other's more...vocal, as I'll put it.

I'm pretty sure the reason Misty didn't do much in Johto was because there was no second quest for her to do. With Hoenn they introduced contests, which could be a second quest for the female character, May, to do. That's why I wish that maybe the whiters could have more of those Whirl Cup tournaments or something so that Misty could have a second quest.

The same thing is going on with Iris because there are no contests in Unova, which means no second quest. If they have an arc for the Musicals then maybe she could do that but I think that would suit Cilan better.

There's a reason why Misty was dropped from the show as quickly and easily as she was.

No more quickly than May got ditched.So much about her "popularity".

And it is a pretty common agreed opinion in the fandom that Misty was handled badly in the Johto arc. People complained about how stale she became in Johto very similar to how Brock was in DP.

Like i said you doesnt represent whole fandom.For any person who finds Misty "stale"i encounter twice as many which find her character being entertaining(yes even in Johto).If it was otherwise we wouldnt have so many people wanting her back.

Whether character is good or not is matter of opinion which contains subjectivity.

Trying to force your opinion upon others wont get you far.

And the, "uproar" was only in the minds of obsessed shippers and nostalgic fans.

Wrong,many people tried to give chance to AG and May deciding to quit on this show for good viewing Misty as more charismatic and interesting character having btter dymnamic with group, giving more identity to this anime in their opinion.

I was in the fandom over the entire span Advanced Generation was airing, (both here, on Serebii, and other anime sites) and anyone who suggested Misty to return was usually openly mocked and laughed out of the anime section.

So i did and like i said opinions varied from person to person.On some sites like pokecommunity,pokeelite,youtube etc majorit was in agreement how Misty should be brougt back.

On serebii or bulbagarden opinions were more or less diverse with any poll which was made giving divided results.

Its not even possible to say otherwise, as May's Contests were the most popular part of the series immediately following Misty's departure.

It seems you mixed up some things in here.Contests were popular being welcomed as new feature in games.
May as character has never been more popular than Misty or Dawn were.Trying to say otherwise is in least hand laughable.

If anything amount of complaining and demand for return Mistys character receives says something else.

To Cilan:Reason why Misty didnt got enough screentime in Johto is coming partially from writers inexperience of not knowing how to handle girl characters correctly aswell ex head writer during that time mr.Shudo doing some mistakes which he admitted.

They had more than enough extra time in Johto to have Misty battle more and compete in more competitions than just Seaking contests and Whirl Cup expanding on her goal more.Afterall her goal was based on anime exclusive things(Whirl tournament was also anime only) meaning how writers were allowed to create as many as needed but they screwed things up missing on opportunities.

Last edited:
May as character has never been more popular than Misty or Dawn were.Trying to say otherwise is in least hand laughable.

What?? May was WAY more popular than Misty!

Misty wasn't even traveling anymore after her departure, and got two cameos only because of May!!

If you want a proof you can notice that Misty has never appeared again in a episode without May in it! So check your facts please..

We actually barely see anything of Misty after the end of Johto.

If you count her ep appearances, she only really appeared in 4 full episodes, (she was only in the last 2 minutes of one, but we'll count that into the next ep), of the series. This is out of 400+ more episodes.

The only reason Misty got a few more appearances is because of the specials. But once again, she barely appeared in the specials. They made 17 of them and she was only in 4.

Meanwhile Tracey is in about 8 specials, which I find pretty amusing.

I didn't think the contests were that popular? They were drastically cut in Emerald from Ruby and Sapphire, and replaced mostly with Battle tents, and in Sinnoh, they tried to do something different, but it didn't go that far. Then in Gen 5 they finally scrapped the things all together. So much for the insane popularity we keep hearing about.

Also I don't have exact figures, but Misty was in the anime longer than May was. You say they dropped Misty because of how unpopular she was, but they dropped May a lot quicker.

What?? May was WAY more popular than Misty!

Misty wasn't even traveling anymore after her departure, and got two cameos only because of May!!

If you want a proof you can notice that Misty has never appeared again in a episode without May in it! So check your facts please..

Um, likewise May has never appeared in an episode without Dawn, so am I to assume that May only got her cameos because of Dawn??? Besides Misty got two comebacks and was featured heavily in Pokemon Chronicles, May only got the brief one, and it was only for Dawn to beat her in a Contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom