• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your reaction on the way writers treat past charathers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't think the contests were that popular?

Really? The Contests lasted in the anime for 8 years. Why do you think they were in the show for nearly a decade?

The Contests were the most popular part of the series when they first debuted in the show. Mainly because they attracted female fans to the series due to the shoujo plots and giving the female a story arc for the first time.

How the hell could anyone say an arc such as the Contests weren't popular? That is baffling. They were in the anime for the majority of its run.

Also I don't have exact figures, but Misty was in the anime longer than May was. You say they dropped Misty because of how unpopular she was, but they dropped May a lot quicker.

What does this have to do with anything? Misty's "extra episodes" are throwaway Johto fillers in which Misty does nothing in. Misty wasn't kept for Johto for any special reason, she was just there because there was nobody to replace her with at the time.

Misty was ignored and neglected throughout her entire run, especially in Johto. May got roughly 1 in every 4 episodes of AG about her, had a story arc that got almost the same screentime as Ash's Gyms, and had a Movie to go out on.

There are people who think Misty got better screentime than May? How is being in more episodes, "better screentime?" when she does nothing in those episodes?

What?? May was WAY more popular than Misty!

Misty wasn't even traveling anymore after her departure, and got two cameos only because of May!!

If you want a proof you can notice that Misty has never appeared again in a episode without May in it! So check your facts please..

Reason why May was present in Misty cameos was because she was at that time main character.Just like Dawn was present in Mays cameo during her appearace in Wallace Cupo in DP.

When oldr character appears you cabnt expect that current travelling companions are being excluded from episodes considering how theyre partr of show at that time.

May was never more popular than Misty was bith befire and now.Take a look around yourself both online and in real life.Misty is extremely popular as character,even nowdays getting just as much support and love as May did(judging by demand going for her return arguably even more).

I didn't think the contests were that popular? They were drastically cut in Emerald from Ruby and Sapphire, and replaced mostly with Battle tents, and in Sinnoh, they tried to do something different, but it didn't go that far. Then in Gen 5 they finally scrapped the things all together. So much for the insane popularity we keep hearing about.

Contests were much more popular among people who played games finding new option as breath of fresh air,than it was case with anime.May as character was more or less equally liked as other girls were.

I was in fandom back than so i actually know what was situation back than.

Also I don't have exact figures, but Misty was in the anime longer than May was. You say they dropped Misty because of how unpopular she was, but they dropped May a lot quicker.

Reason why Misty got dropped was never because of becoming "unpopular".

Reason why Misty got replaced is due to mr.Shudo mistake of not giving her big enough role having acording to him "weakest justification to stay in show" deciding to add some change in anime when ratings started to decline in Johto.Decision was either her or Team Rocket being ditched.

However Mistys exit wasnt well received among fandom at all causing big backlash with good chunk of people deciding to quit watching this show in protest with complaining being huge demanding character coming back.

Even after 8 years of absence petitions are still being made with demand for Mistys return being all over the internet having big and respectable fanbase even nowdays with number of her fas being in hundred of thousands.

How the hell could anyone say an arc such as the Contests weren't popular? That is baffling. They were in the anime for the majority of its run.

Then why did they reduce them in Emerald and Gen 4 then remove them altogether in Gen 5? If they were so popular, they'd still be there, much like May in fact.

What does this have to do with anything? Misty's "extra episodes" are throwaway Johto fillers in which Misty does nothing in. Misty wasn't kept for Johto for any special reason, she was just there because there was nobody to replace her with at the time.

That's your opinion, but can you explain to me, if May was so much more popular, why did they get rid of her? And why did they get rid of her quicker than they got rid of Misty?

Misty was ignored and neglected throughout her entire run, especially in Johto. May got roughly 1 in every 4 episodes of AG about her, had a story arc that got almost the same screentime as Ash's Gyms, and had a Movie to go out on.

So did Max, is he really popular too? Now there's a kid who did nothing and was handled badly. Yet he got a movie.

There are people who think Misty got better screentime than May? How is being in more episodes, "better screentime?" when she does nothing in those episodes?

It's your opinion that she did nothing.

Then why did they reduce them in Emerald and Gen 4 then remove them altogether in Gen 5? If they were so popular, they'd still be there, much like May in fact.

I am not talking about the games, I am talking about the anime. The Contests were the most popular additions to the series.

You haven't answered me. Contests were in the anime for a near-decade and got a tremendous amount of screentime in the show. Why would the writers promote Contests so heavily in the anime when they're a minor throwaway quest in the games?

Its because the storylines in them were incredibly popular, and some of the most popular characters in the anime are the Contest-oriented characters.

That's your opinion, but can you explain to me, if May was so much more popular, why did they get rid of her? And why did they get rid of her quicker than they got rid of Misty?

May had to leave because she was a 3rd gen character. Same reason Dawn had to leave after DP ended, they represent their generations.

And why are you saying, "quicker?" Misty lasted till the end of her series, like the other girls did. The only difference is once again, Johto didn't have any new girl at the start to replace her with.

Why are you acting like Misty was in the anime so much longer, anyway? Misty was only in the anime for roughly 1 year longer than May or Dawn.

So did Max, is he really popular too? Now there's a kid who did nothing and was handled badly. Yet he got a movie.

Max was a secondary support character, he was never there to be the main focus. He was there to give May an extra character to play off and help round out the group.

The female lead on the other hand always gets the most focus after Ash.

It's your opinion that she did nothing.

How is that an opinion? Misty standing on the sidelines with Togepi in her arms and making comments of what's going on in the episode is hardly, "screentime."

The writers gave Misty a filler roughly every 20-30 episodes but otherwise she joined Brock on the sidelines.

May's Contests on the other hand got an equal amount of screentime to Ash's Gyms of the region, and she starred in many filler episodes or eps outside of Contests. Same with Dawn.

Reason why May was present in Misty cameos was because she was at that time main character.Just like Dawn was present in Mays cameo during her appearace in Wallace Cupo in DP.

When oldr character appears you cabnt expect that current travelling companions are being excluded from episodes considering how theyre partr of show at that time.

May was never more popular than Misty was bith befire and now.Take a look around yourself both online and in real life.Misty is extremely popular as character,even nowdays getting just as much support and love as May did(judging by demand going for her return arguably even more).

Fans want May back exactly like they want Misty back. There are plenty of fans who want them back. Not all fans who were "original fans" want Misty over May.

Misty was a minor character during her run and you know that.

What did she got?? Maybe one or two water tournaments! it's nothing compared to May who got TWO grand festivals and at least TEN contests! Misty isn't but a secondary character..

Fun fact: Back in 2006 before we knew the writers were bringing Dawn into the anime, a lot of people originally believed May was going to continue in into the DP series.

Nobody thought Misty would be a part of DP.

I am not talking about the games, I am talking about the anime. The Contests were the most popular additions to the series.

Well they're gone from the anime too. They were removed in both. They got 2 Grand Festivals in AG, but only the one in DP, then in BW, gone althogether.

You haven't answered me. Contests were in the anime for a near-decade and got a tremendous amount of screentime in the show. Why would the writers promote Contests so heavily in the anime when they're a minor throwaway quest in the games?

In a similar vein why would the writers get rid of them when they are removed from the games?

Its because the storylines in them were incredibly popular, and some of the most popular characters in the anime are the Contest-oriented characters.

Who are these people you keep talking about who agree with you on everything?

May had to leave because she was a 3rd gen character. Same reason Dawn had to leave after DP ended, they represent their generations.

Misty was Gen 1, but lasted through Orange Arc, like May lasted through Frontier arc, but unlike May who got dropped after that, Misty then got the Gen 2 arc as well. Oh and there was someone to replace her with if they wanted. Kris/Marina, They knew about Crystal long before its release, hence the GS Ball, so there's good odds that they knew about Kris too. They'd know about the main characters of a game before a minor detail about what the name of a key event item would be. So they could have used Kris in all likeliness, but kept Misty.

And why are you saying, "quicker?" Misty lasted till the end of her series, like the other girls did. The only difference is once again, Johto didn't have any new girl at the start to replace her with.

Answered above.

Why are you acting like Misty was in the anime so much longer, anyway? Misty was only in the anime for roughly 1 year longer than May or Dawn.
A year is quite a long time I'm afraid, especially when your talking about your character lasting 4 or 5 years. That means Misty was there 20-25% longer than May was, so yeah, they did get rid of May quicker. Despite this insanely vast popularity that you claim she had.

Max was a secondary support character, he was never there to be the main focus. He was there to give May an extra character to play off and help round out the group.

I agree, and yet he got his own film, so your claim that having a film around you means your somehow a superior character has been debunked, by yourself.

I'm pretty sure the reason Misty didn't do much in Johto was because there was no second quest for her to do. With Hoenn they introduced contests, which could be a second quest for the female character, May, to do. That's why I wish that maybe the whiters could have more of those Whirl Cup tournaments or something so that Misty could have a second quest.

I agree with this. And also about Misty being used for Joto instead of Kris, you could argue that technically Misty is advertising the Johto games as wll since she is a Gym Leader in them. You could say the same thing about Brock and the R/G and G/S remakes because they're still apart of Gen 3 and 4. And also they already used Kris/Marina for the Legend of Thunder special along with Gold/Jimmy so she did at least make an anime appearance (unlike Leaf.)

I think the main reason they used Misty was because she wasn't important in the games like Kris so it would be unfair to give one of the player characters such a small role. That's why May and Dawn got so much spotlight, because they're player characters. I bet that's the reason they didn't use Touko in BW because they dropped the female co-star aspect of the show and since the female wouldn't get as big of a role they went with a character from the games that doesn't have that big of a role, Iris. If they used Kris or Touko then fans would probably complain and be upset that they're not getting much focus when May and Dawn got a lot of focus.

I see a lot of similarities between Iris and Misty. Maybe it's the writers having another attempt at the character and want to try and get it right this time.

^ I think so too. I think that Iris and Dento are gonna be like Misty and Brock but treated better. Also going back to what I said about Misty and Iris being used because it wouldn't be fair to give the player girl character a role on the sidelines, I think that's why we never see the male player character travel with Ash and friends because Ash takes the place of the male player character and it wouldn't be fair to give the game character a sideline role when he has a big role in the games.

Well they're gone from the anime too. They were removed in both. They got 2 Grand Festivals in AG, but only the one in DP, then in BW, gone althogether.

Contests were in the anime for 8 years. They were popular enough to last in a show for a decade. They're removed now because Contests aren't in BW.

What point are you trying to prove? The Contests have always been very popular in the anime and they were certainly more popular than anything Misty brought to the show. The fact that some of the most popular characters in the series what contest characters says a lot in itself.

Who are these people you keep talking about who agree with you on everything?

I've been in the fandom since 2002. I've seen the general opinion of peoples view on the series for 8 years. I know how popular the Contests were because I was around during their height of the popularity in the series.

How in the in the world can anyone say the Contests weren't popular? What the hell were people talking about over the last 8 years of the show? You think we were all here crying over Misty, who spent the entire Johto arc standing in the background being useless?

Misty was Gen 1, but lasted through Orange Arc, like May lasted through Frontier arc, but unlike May who got dropped after that, Misty then got the Gen 2 arc as well.

Kanto and Orange combined only come out to 130 episodes. Hoenn and Battle Frontier combined come out to 191 episodes.

If Misty didn't continue into Johto, she would have been even more short-lived than she already was. Misty was kept for Johto because they had nobody to replace her with. May wasn't kept because the next series was about DP.

You're talking as if the writers kept Misty around because she's "important," or something, Takeshi Shudo flat out said he thought she was the least justified of all the original Kanto characters and that she was only there to fill out the token girl of the group.

Oh and there was someone to replace her with if they wanted. Kris/Marina, They knew about Crystal long before its release, hence the GS Ball, so there's good odds that they knew about Kris too.

LMAO, now you're just pulling excuses. Krystal didn't exist till 2001, they're not going to go forward and pull in a character they weren't aware of at the time.

Again, what point are you trying to prove? Takeshi Shudo was the main writer of the original series, and he flat out didn't care about Misty's character. She was treated as throwaway background material throughout her entire run.

A year is quite a long time I'm afraid, especially when your talking about your character lasting 4 or 5 years. That means Misty was there 20-25% longer than May was, so yeah, they did get rid of May quicker. Despite this insanely vast popularity that you claim she had.

Apparently you have difficulty reading, because I've repeatedly said Misty only stayed because Johto was so damn long and no new girls existed. May could not stay once the DP generation began.

The writers didn't care about Misty. She was treated like crap throughout her entire run. Her storyline, battles, role, it was all done horribly.

Trying to claim Misty somehow got better screentime than May did in the show is laughable. I think you'll be hard pressed to see many people in this fandom think that Misty got better screentime than any of the girls who came after her. Oh wow, Misty was in the Johto episodes to do absolutely nothing in 90% of the episodes she was in, what great screentime...?

You seem to be under the desperate attempt trying to prove Misty stayed longer because she was more popular. That doesn't fit into any of the shows criteria because they dropped Misty in a heartbeat the moment they had a new girl to replace her with.

They've even gone as far as to stop Misty's cameo/guest appearances entirely and they avoid her. They won't even put Misty into episodes anymore.

Last edited:
Any meaningful discussion this thread once had is certainly gone now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom