• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your reaction on the way writers treat past charathers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
She didn't even whip anyone!

Lol, that whip practically defined Jessiebelle. I still stand by what I said about ShoPro upping censorship to avoid corrupting young ones. ..Maybe. It's certainly nicer than the more credible alternative - characterisation has simply gone out the window for early-series people (when they're not being forgotten about completely).

@ZoruasIllusion

Agree with you about the writers redoing things, and seeming cold and detached from the series in some way. This is another reason why Indigo League is my favourite series. There was to me a strong sense of love and care in its production.

Last edited:
I'm kind of shocked that the writers have kicked Richie to the curb and haven't shown him since Chronicles...Anyone with a brain can see that he was made in Ash's image...I wonder what it would be like to see him again? I bet he's got a Charizard and a Tyrannitar, and other stong pokemon...I bet if he came back, he could cream Ash in a battle...

Somebody mentioned that Misty was only on the show for 5 years. To the majority of the old fans that doesn't mean anything. If she was only there for 5 years then it might as well have been a lifetime, because thats how long it felt like.

Most old fans stopped watching the show in mid-Johto and didn't come back to it much later, so I assume that's why it felt like she was there longer.

Anyway Misty's not very important. May was more important than her, Dawn got a bigger role than her, and now Iris serves her exact purpose as a tag along Gym leader.

I'm kind of shocked that the writers have kicked Richie to the curb and haven't shown him since Chronicles...Anyone with a brain can see that he was made in Ash's image...I wonder what it would be like to see him again? I bet he's got a Charizard and a Tyrannitar, and other stong pokemon...I bet if he came back, he could cream Ash in a battle...

That might be precisely why Ritchie has been dropped. People hated that he was basically a clone of Ash but without Ash's flaws. That's basically what some people define as a mary sue (although not really since he isn't really an author insert). The writers have improved and came up with far better characters to use as rivals. Paul and Barry being the most promenent (Trip and Bianca show promise, but nothing yet so far).

None of the league rivals will appear again, its not just Richie.

Most old fans stopped watching the show in mid-Johto and didn't come back to it much later, so I assume that's why it felt like she was there longer.

Anyway Misty's not very important. May was more important than her, Dawn got a bigger role than her, and now Iris serves her exact purpose as a tag along Gym leader.

You mean the one's that aren't the target demographic because they don't count :p

QUESTION:How do you know Iris is a Gym Leader?

Well I just meant in the games. Anyway she's a tag along character from a Gym.

Oh I thought you were talking about the cartoon character Iris the one with the Kibago and that met Ash/Satoshi in BW'S 2nd ep and calls him a kid.

Its obvious that Iris/Dento are clearly intended to be the new Misty/Brock. They share some traits with them while also having their own unique personalities.

Its like Iris was purposely chosen over the female playable character from BW because they had her resemble Misty in some way, since Dento is intended to be a different take on Brock.

That's why the BW trio feels like it has better chemistry than the DP trio, because both characters are new and they both resemble the original trio.

Its obvious that Iris/Dento are clearly intended to be the new Misty/Brock. They share some traits with them while also having their own unique personalities.

Its like Iris was purposely chosen over the female playable character from BW because they had her resemble Misty in some way, since Dento is intended to be a different take on Brock.

That's why the BW trio feels like it has better chemistry than the DP trio, because both characters are new and they both resemble the original trio.
*Shudders*
Well theyre the replacements not Misty n' Brock copies. For Selling toys and marketing Pokemon Im assuming. The whole reason this show exist.

No no no. They chose Iris for one reason "selling" same for Dento "money" not cause' of personality or anything just for plan cold hard cash.

Three words:

TOO
MUCH
BROCK

I agree with you. The way Brock was portrayed really stagnated during DP, IMO. He didn't exactly act out of character, but it seemed that very little of what originally defined him as a young man (his siblings, his gym position, his relationship with his father) was being respected.

I agree with you. The way Brock was portrayed really stagnated during DP, IMO. He didn't exactly act out of character, but it seemed that very little of what originally defined him as a young man (his siblings, his gym position, his relationship with his father) was being respected.

It honestly seemed like the only reason they kept Brock for DP is the writers were too lazy to create a new male sidekick character.

Brock was still OK during AG though.

I actually thought Tracy was an interesting addition to the party (that is; Ash, Misty/Dawn/May/(insert female character here) + Tracy.

His character really opened up some doors to the minds of viewers and made them think about the different professions in the Pokemon world. (Tracy was a researcher and a part time trainer.)

Plus Scyther is awesome.

That might be precisely why Ritchie has been dropped. People hated that he was basically a clone of Ash but without Ash's flaws. That's basically what some people define as a mary sue (although not really since he isn't really an author insert). The writers have improved and came up with far better characters to use as rivals. Paul and Barry being the most promenent (Trip and Bianca show promise, but nothing yet so far).

But then to a similar fashion, May was an Ash clone because she imitated Ash's battle style almost completely. People didn't tend to notice that until she left, but when she got bulbasaur, then munchlax, then squirtle, people weren't liking that, and they were saying that she was becoming an Ash clone. But then again, that was her main character flaw so I guess they let her go to have some off screen development to find things out for herself.

Barry was nice, he should've probably been a 4th cast member, but that would've made things complicated. A shame that Dawn had her lousy penguin out all the time, but we had to see Barry's Empoleon debut the torrent ability.

And Paul was a great rival. Finally, someone who represents real life competitive players of pokemon who somewhat resembles Silver. But they made him give props and be nice to Ash after he was defeated, I would've preferred if he remained bitter after his loss to Ash.

Though Misty, Brock, and to a lesser extent, Max, could have been handled better, I think what they received was okay. Misty should have expanded on her Water Pokémon master goal better by having more battles, Brock should have left the show earlier or acquired the doctor goal before the end of his run, and Max...well not much could have been done to improve his character since he didn't own any Pokémon. They should have made him more interesting in BF is all I gotta say.

Agreed they definitely had lot of opportunities which ended up wasted or unused regarding some of characters.Sadly some of them will probably never accomplish what they intened being left to rot forgotten.Like Max who cant shine properly due to "no aging" rule or Misty being stucked at one place with story being left at standstill like goal of becoming water master which cant be advanced at gym .

However, these characters are in the past, and we should look forward to what new characters can bring to the table. The show is in a constant flow of change, so be sure you're ready to accept whatever the writers throw at us.

While i welcome any new character they add giving it a chance,personally i would rather have some of older characters back with purpose of being developed more ,than going through repetitive process of dump and replace someone after every 4 years with new characters who will end up abandoned like previous ones were anyway.

This would please alot more people than current formula does.

I am glad they're severing all ties with the older cast. I agree with Grave-E, they've all run their course.

"Run their course?"Thats far from thruth.Some of written out characters were clearly never used as much as they could have being replaced while still having lot of untapped potential to do more with them.One of perfect examples is Misty whose story was left unfinishged in many areas having things on which they never epanded on(from her goal of becoming best water trainer,underused pokemon team,to her relatively unown background etc).
If i remember correctly you yourself complained how writers never used her character to full potential,just to now changing your statement.You should make up your mind.

I dont even need to mention Max who because of handicap of not being allowed to have pokemon was never developed much definitely having potential as character which will sadly never be used.

Misty was very important as character to Ashs growth as trainer helping him along with Brock by mentoring and coaching to become better trainer and she as character left big impact on this show making it popular with other members of original trio in first place.

Fact that even after 8 years of absence such a big demand is out there for her return with jher departure lifting alot more dust thsan anyone else did speaks for itself.

She had smaller role than May or Dawn had,but she was still important contributing to anime.

Speaking of Iris and Misty while they have some similarities their roles are pretty much different.Misty was more about coaching and mentoring Ash being more interested in battling having rivarlies with several characters while with Iris her character is more concerned about her primary desire to evolve Kibago and get her pokemon to right track.

It may seem strange,but fro what i noticed so far Misty received more screentime in Kanto than Iris did in BW.

They have some similarities just like Dawn had some similarities with May but at the end of the day BW trio and orignal trio are two completely different groups functioning and playing of differently having differnt personalities and goals.

When you compare them little more,Dento and Iris are actually alot different than Brock and Misty were.

To be honest if they wanted "to go back to its roots",it would had more sense if they reunited original trio instead.

Last edited:
Just how in Gen 3 and Gen 4, Brock tagged along while we had a new character as the female, when they made Brock sit out a series, Misty should've come back but with new gen 5 character added as well.

Just how in Gen 3 and Gen 4, Brock tagged along while we had a new character as the female, when they made Brock sit out a series, Misty should've come back but with new gen 5 character added as well.

Or better yet, since they weren't going to develop Misty's goal that much further, they should've taken Brock off at the same time as her because he didn't get much development in his later years on the show. Give him his development sooner, and have some male tagalong to take his place.

I only wish that Gary got more screentime while being Ash's rival. It's a shame because they only had 2 battles before the league and about 4 or 5 battles throughout the entire series. Gary was Ash's first main rival and his screentime was just horrible compared to how many times his counterpart appears in the games and battles you.

Also I think that Brock should have left when Misty did, or at least at the end of AG because I remember there being an episode about him being a doctor so he could have decided to be one back then and then we could have maybe Lucas or Barry traveling with Ash and Dawn in DP.

Pretty sure that if you ask anyone they'll say it felt like she was there that long, because of her importance to the story/group. To be honest this new dynamic they have going, with a new girl every region, is a little annoying. I get the fact that it shows people have their own dreams to follow and everything, but introducing new characters then just forgetting about them makes no sense. They could take some time to develop older characters who still have questions to be answered.

LOL, Misty's not important? Really?

Either way, i'm sure we'll see all of the old characters again one day. Its part of some of my theories on how the series might end.

Brock stayed too long. Or he stayed too long and the writers let his character stagnate. It didn't happen in AG, but during Sinnoh it got to be really bad. I'm sure we'll see him again, but we definitely don't need to see him in BW.

NOTE: When Ash and Brock said goodbye at the end of the last season was one of the best moments in pokemon history. Think it had a lot of meaning for the old fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom