• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your "That's a Pokemon?!?" Moments

AuraSoul93

Future Frontier Brain
Reaction score
With each new Generation that comes, naturally there are Pokemon that come with them. Each being different & a bit more complex than what we saw before. While some people use this fact as an argument that "Pokemon isn't Pokemon anymore", I see it as a great thing. Knowing that Pokemon knows no bounds is encouraging in that it'll take an awful lot for them to stop making the little guys. But there were times where new Pokemon would be "discovered" & didn't seem like Pokemon to most &/or were criticized. Anyone here wanna share their experiences?

My first look at Pokemon like Slakoth, Lucario, & Sazandora left me thinking things like "Wuh.......these are Pokemon???" Now I've gotten used to them, but everytime you see something new ask yourself this: That's a Pokemon?!?

Oddly, Reshiram and Zekrom and Kyurem. Their designs really threw me the first time I saw them.

Crimgan. it might be its coloring or its overall design, but something seems off
Vanipeti, Baniricchi, Baibanira. the fact that they're ice cream cones just really threw me off.

I'd say that Gobitto and Goruugu caught me off guard. They looked a little bit too robotic to me at first. That and Gear seemed a little weird.

I think it's kind of ironic that people can even have this reaction (though I understand it) when the very first generation had Pokemon that were based on magnets, balls, rocks, and toxic waste.

I think it's kind of ironic that people can even have this reaction (though I understand it) when the very first generation had Pokemon that were based on magnets, balls, rocks, and toxic waste.

True, but I think by now most of us had gotten used to it, so it doesn't seem so weird to us. That's why I usually tell people who criticize new Pokemon that they'd probably think differently if the new Pokemon were first and the originals came later.

Oddly, Reshiram and Zekrom and Kyurem. Their designs really threw me the first time I saw them.

Same here. Well, not so much Kyurem, but Reshiram and Zekrom. Kyurem is just ugly.

Yabukuron ^_^

My "That's a Pokemon?" moment are the Regi trio. I didn't think those blocky golems can even be Pokemon, because I usually associate Pokemon with something that has eyes, and they don't have any. Another one is, although not "That's a Pokemon?", but more of "That's his evolution?". I am talking about Octillery. Yes, the evolution looks out of place that it had to be mentioned.

Thanks for reading.

Uhh... idk it's name, but the new pokemon shaped like a Gear and it's evo line seem strange to me.

The gears, Reshiram, Zekrom, The lame Electric/Ground pokemon, Vanipeti's evos, The gothic psychic, Rankuruso's line, Yanmega, Dusknoir, Probobass, The legendary Genies ugggh, Yaburokon(idk) there are many more, though.

Most of these are the usual suspect...although, I have to say, Slakoth? He's rather tame and based off a real-life animal, so I can't say he's one I'd expect to see in a thread like this.

Anyway, I think it's natural to have the reaction at first, but I can't say there's a Pokemon I still think this about after getting used to them.

And Magnemite was what?

I addressed that in the next post. Magnemite is definitely a strange Pokemon, but it's one that I've gotten used to. Had Gear been released before Magnemite, I would probably have a similar reaction to Magnemite. It's something that I don't think much of.

Hmm, when I first saw mijumaru I was like WTF?! But, I've gotten used to miju and I really love it ^^
Posted via Mobile Device

Snubbull and Granbull. They look WAY too unnatural to me. Not like the other pokemon.

Zekrom defintly i thought looked nothing like a pokemon when i first saw it but i got use to it and thats all i can think of now.

All the gen V starters (though now that I know more about them I like them), especially Snivy since it was called a snake pokemon and I hadn't seen its 3rd stage yet.

Magnezone, it's weird-looking and I liked Magnemite's look better. The new garbage species pokemon (WTF?!), the sarcophagus Pokemon, the others that had new monster-y evos like Magmar, Electabuzz and Rhyperior. One of my favorites but Lucario's shorts are too distinct IMO.

I like the gear line, I think that's an interesting concept, especially with all the electric moves they use and how they evolve just by adding a new gear, it's sort of like gen V's Magnemite and Dugtrio.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom