• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your "That's a Pokemon?!?" Moments

For God's sake, ENBUOH. It's not a pokemon... it's a sausage that ran into a brock wall.

Ruined pokabu. ;_;

The gears, Reshiram, Zekrom, The lame Electric/Ground pokemon, Vanipeti's evos, The gothic psychic, Rankuruso's line, Yanmega, Dusknoir, Probobass, The legendary Genies ugggh, Yaburokon(idk) there are many more, though.
You people have no freaking taste.

Pretty much just Gear for me....

Reshiram and Zekrom, yes, they looked at first sign something else than Pokémon - but really cool indeed. Now I adore 'em both and I think they're the most coolest legendaries there is (although Suicune is the best ^^).

Like everyone else, Reshiram and Zekrom surprised me... They look like from a more serious RPG or something. But in a pretty good way. They are awesome.
I thought that black and purple evil-looking dragon was a fakemon. Then I realized that thing was indeed Kyurem.

Anyway, from the start...
I think the Dratini line surprised me, I wasn't expecting a dragon pokémon of the more mystical kind back in the day. I thought they'd keep dragons to fire-breathing winged lizards like Charizard or sea serpents like Gyarados and such. (And the fact that nothing else had Dragon type didn't help)
Staryu and Starmie were kind of wtf too.
I'd say Golbat, but it was more like OH GOD WHAT IS THAT THING?!

Fast forward... Nothing really particularly stood as too strange for a Pokémon. Perhaps Spiritomb in regards of its design. Many pokémon are based on cursed items, but in this case it's pretty different.

When I first played Red and Blue, I saw the sprite for Cloyster and thought huh? Why is it sideways? I always thought it was horizontally opened and thought it was a different Pokemon. Also Rayquaza reminded me of some Digimon thing.

Sunkern is the only pokemon that ever gave me a "Digimon" vibe. The eyes........

.....Anyway, I always wonder the deal with Probopass. That thing is just ugly(yet badass at the sametime.)

Also, the genie trio. I like them and all, but they look really out of place.

-Baibanira (Ice Cream?)
-Yabukuron (Garbage bag?)
-Jynx when I saw it for the first time a long time ago
-Ditto also

Way too many instances to name, but the one I remember the most clearly was the first time I saw the Unown in the third movie. I didn't even consider them as pokemon until a half hour or so into the movie when they were mentioned as pokemon several times over. They just looked like these eerie... things. Being done in all CG, being clustered together in all those weird formations, appearing in all those different shapes, and not to mention having come out of another dimension all added to the effect of throwing me off.

I actually had a moment like this happen with Riguree and Oobemu, but in a good way. You see, I live about... 60 miles north of NYC, which Unova is based on. Around here, UFO sightings used to be insanely common, at one point occurring on a daily basis. To see two Alien-like Pokémon in a New York-based region, well, I was pretty excited, to say the least.

For God's sake, ENBUOH. It's not a pokemon... it's a sausage that ran into a brock wall.

Ruined pokabu. ;_;
¡Lucha! ¡Lucha! lol

.....Anyway, I always wonder the deal with Probopass. That thing is just ugly(yet badass at the sametime.)

Also, the genie trio. I like them and all, but they look really out of place.
I wonder if that's because they look so human (I wonder if when they do a movie about them if they'll be able to say more than just their names).

My list could well include half of the franchise, so I'll include some of the most recent ones:

118.jpg

Kirikizan.jpg

141.jpg

Gigigear.jpg

probo.jpg

Names not needed. :p

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom