• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your "That's a Pokemon?!?" Moments

The first one is aesthetically weird to me. The second... I did a big "Pokemon has Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon?!" spittake.

Honestly, I think they're bizarre. And I could have gone further with Gen V, but I didn't. :p Anybody else know what I mean when I say "Ice Cream Cone" and "Garbage Bag"?

Reshiram and Zekrom fit more of the traditional Yu-Gi-Oh dragons. I jsut see a hydra with Sazandora, and hydras have been around forever.

141.jpg

This thing, for me. It always makes me think of a weird fusion of MegaDramon, GigaDramon, and Deltamon.

I think Tabunne definitely goes into this category. It looks fake in everything, especially the game sprite, yet it's real. I think I jumped 2 inches higher than normal when I heard it was real.

Zekrom and Reshiram came as a large surprise to me; I thought they resembled Yu-Gi-Oh! characters.

Yabukuron ^_^
That's a bag of garbage. By toxic waste, I was obviously referring to Grimer and Muk.
Another one is, although not "That's a Pokemon?", but more of "That's his evolution?". I am talking about Octillery. Yes, the evolution looks out of place that it had to be mentioned.
Magikarp and Gyarados say hi.

The energy dragon trio; Reshiram, Zekrom and later on Kyurem. I like them, but at first, they seemed a bit out of place. Like they're from Yu-Gi-Oh!, as it's been stated before.

Also, some of the more "exotic" ones, like Tropius.

I'd also like to mention Bronzor, Bronzong and Furiijio.

Gen I: "Pika! Pika!" //does not look at Magnemite//
Gen II: "Pika! Pika!" //does not look at Johto pokemon//
Back in Gen III's Release: "WHA...AT? THAT ROCK GOLEM/ANIMATED ICEBERG/ROBOT THINGAMAJIG IS A POKEYMAN?!"
Back in Gen IV's Release: "DIALGA... DIGIMON..."
Back (?) when Gen V was released: "WHAT THE HECK IS THAT RESHIRAM THING DOING IN THERE?!?!"

Voltorb and Electrode. Grimer and Muk. Like, whut.

Gen 2 is the only time I can recall this happening to a significant degree. When I was younger, I remember flicking through a GS book in Tesco and seeing some of the 2nd gen monsters for the first time. I like some of them now, but man. Wobbuffet? Dunsparce? Forretress? Sneasel? There are many, many more I could list that made me double take.

But the ones that made me raise an eyebrow the most? The freaking legendary beasts. At the time, there was so much unusual stuff going on with those designs, especially compared to gen 1's birds, that it took me a while to 'accept' them as pokemon.

I'm generally over that kind of thing these days though. I can see a new 'mon and think 'that's a 'mon, mon'. The only exception I can think of is Otamaru, who I thought for sure was a piss-take during those leaks, and Daikenki for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
a lot of Gen V Pokémon don't look like Pokémon to me. :-/ what's in my mind right now are the ice cream and the aliens.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom