• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your "THATS NOT POSSIBLE" moments

How does a master ball fail to catch? Isn't that the point of a master ball? yikes.

Well there is a very small chance that a masterball will fail to catch a wild pokemon but its less likely then seening a shiny pokemon so its not likely to happen.

Also in the battle tower a nidoking hit my pokemon 3 times in a row using horn drill.

my rival had a level 40 torterra and I had a level 61 Empolean that held the berry to weaken ground type moves and it got a 1 hit KO from earthquake.

Assuming the following...

1) Torterra had 252 EV's and 31 IV's in Attack, as well as an Attack-boosting nature
2) Empoleon had 0 EV's and 0 IV's in both HP and Defense, as well as a Defense-reducing nature

...at the given levels, a Shuca Berry Empoleon would have taken a maximum of 35.6% from Torterra even with a critical hit. (Yes, I actually did the calculations. Sue me.) So your Empoleon couldn't have been anywhere near full health. As such, it's not that hard to believe.

I probably read way too much into that...

Assuming the following...

1) Torterra had 252 EV's and 31 IV's in Attack, as well as an Attack-boosting nature
2) Empoleon had 0 EV's and 0 IV's in both HP and Defense, as well as a Defense-reducing nature

...at the given levels, a Shuca Berry Empoleon would have taken a maximum of 35.6% from Torterra even with a critical hit. (Yes, I actually did the calculations. Sue me.) So your Empoleon couldn't have been anywhere near full health. As such, it's not that hard to believe.

I probably read way too much into that...

wow, I wouldn't have payed attention to that.

Well I caught my Tornadus the first time I encountered it...with a quick ball...at full health...and if it failed it would have ran away. It wasn't even a critical capture, I saw it shake three times.

beat the 8th gym and the diamond elite 4, saved and went to bed, the next mornign, I was standing outside the 8th gym not yet having battled it.

This one happened just a few hours ago.

I've caught Zapdos and Articuno and was going to catch Moltres. I stocked up on Ultra Blls, Bought 50 of them and headed to Mt. Silver.

I paralyze Moltres and false swipe it down to 1 hp. I use all my 50 Ultra Balls. All of them fail.

wtf? I had no problems with catching Articuno or Zapdos, Why can't I catch Moltres?

Mine was when I was playing one of the games (either gen. 2 or 3) and I found a wild AMBIPOM! Like a generation or 2 before it existed. I'm not sure if it was exactly an Ambipom, but it was like an Aipom with TWO tails. Once gen. 4 came out and I saw Ambipom, I remembered seeing that.

This one happened just a few hours ago.

I've caught Zapdos and Articuno and was going to catch Moltres. I stocked up on Ultra Blls, Bought 50 of them and headed to Mt. Silver.

I paralyze Moltres and false swipe it down to 1 hp. I use all my 50 Ultra Balls. All of them fail.

wtf? I had no problems with catching Articuno or Zapdos, Why can't I catch Moltres?

Well, if my calculations are correct that has close to a 16% chance of happening. Ever had a Fire Blast miss?

Well, if my calculations are correct that has close to a 16% chance of happening. Ever had a Fire Blast miss?
Woah, you actually understand the catch rate formula? o_O
My head aches from just looking at it for a minute...

Anyway, I caught it on my second try in my 30th ultra ball -_-'
Thank Arceus I have enough money (about half a million poké)

And fire blast did miss a few times. Why?

Heh, I fought Morty on my Gold years back. Since I'm lazy on training, I come underleveled (Diamond league win with no lvl 50+ pokemon?)...

Well, I meant to throw my HM slave (Level 4 Rattata) to the fray to heal other Pokemon before the Gastly (Which he had switched out and brought a Haunter in) killed it... Since it had nothing to damage Rattata with, I healed all my Pokemon and Rattata won against the Gastly.

I was wtf?

Heart Gold: When I was trying to get to Cerulean Cave, I was surfing, and I ran into a random Shiny Goldeen. It was my first shiny ever, I've gotten Pokemon with Pokerus 3 years ago (Sapphire), but I couldn't even get a Shiny Goldeen until then..
Heart Gold (Again) Two days after the Goldeen, I ran into a Shiny Nidoran male on that route past Goldenrod (The one where you need to go through to get to the Pokeathlon dome) randomly.

Heart Gold (Again): When I was using the Medusa Method for a Shiny Feebas, I hatched over 40 eggs, not a single one shiny. ;-;
When I got one, my DSi ran out of charge and shut off. ;-;

Does anyone know if the Shiny rate is different in HG, like 1/100? XD

Actually, the Master Ball failure thing is possible. It's an extremely slim chance, less likely than encountering a shiny, but it's possible.

The Striaton gym, I'm fighting Cilan's Lillipup. My Oshowott eats it Oran berry, then I see "Lillipup's pick up! Lillipup found an Oran berry!"
Me:... Wha...WHAT THE HELL?!? Pick up doesn't activate DURING battle!!
I have never lost at the first gym in any other game, but because of that, I lost that time.
Of course, this is the kind of thing I'll hate until I use it to my advantage.

Woah, you actually understand the catch rate formula? o_O
My head aches from just looking at it for a minute...

Anyway, I caught it on my second try in my 30th ultra ball -_-'
Thank Arceus I have enough money (about half a million poké)

And fire blast did miss a few times. Why?

I'm just saying it has about the same chance of happening.

My friend had one when and me and my friend were having a battle on White.

He was down to his Zebstrika and I had my last-resort Cincinno that I had been dragging through Unova with an EXP Share. My friend's Zebstrika used Thunderbolt, and it missed my Cinccino. That caused the first yell of "WTF?!" But then, my Cinccino used Tail Slap..and I got all five hits landed. Somehow, three were critical hits. And yes, Zebstrika fainted and Cinccino won me the match. :)

I treated the little thing to a Casteliacone for being so awesome. :)

The Striaton gym, I'm fighting Cilan's Lillipup. My Oshowott eats it Oran berry, then I see "Lillipup's pick up! Lillipup found an Oran berry!"
Me:... Wha...WHAT THE HELL?!? Pick up doesn't activate DURING battle!!
I have never lost at the first gym in any other game, but because of that, I lost that time.
Of course, this is the kind of thing I'll hate until I use it to my advantage.
It's a new feature for the ability in Generation 5. Surprised me when it happened to me as well :-D

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom