• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your thoughts on confusion?

Read topic title.

• It should stay.

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • Should stay, but be nerfed.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Should stay, but be buffed.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Removed!

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
Eh, I feel that if they're able to confuse something it shouldn't really matter what the move is called/what manner they do it in, because they have the power to cause the desired effect anyways. But I understand why they have it, it would just be nice to have a simpler array of moves.

Which is why I listed the other examples, as they may make a bit more sense. For example, a Purugly may be able to cause sleep via Hypnosis, but not by Spore because it doesn't have any. Or Pokemon being able to cause paralysis by Thunder Wave, but not Stun Spore for the same reasons; not all Pokemon can use/create spores/pollen. It's more about the manner in which they can do so, rather than the fact that they have said power, like you mentioned.

It's the fact that some of these moves, though, are worse than others that make people think there may be too many.

Which is why I listed the other examples, as they may make a bit more sense. For example, a Purugly may be able to cause sleep via Hypnosis, but not by Spore because it doesn't have any. Or Pokemon being able to cause paralysis by Thunder Wave, but not Stun Spore for the same reasons; not all Pokemon can use/create spores/pollen. It's more about the manner in which they can do so, rather than the fact that they have said power, like you mentioned.

It's the fact that some of these moves, though, are worse than others that make people think there may be too many.

Well, I can't disagree. :p I just think it would be nice to not have to remember as many names. ^^

i love it honestly, being an annoying prick with parafusion, plus infatuation is great, if you can manage it.

I don't like how in adventure (rather than pure 'battle' mode) the flutes stopped having effects after gen IV. There's antidote for poison but no confuse cure or attract cure like the yellow & red flutes used to do.

Also i don't mind confusion or infatuation being volatile (stackable) but i think leech seed definitely needs to be made non-volatile.

As it is, confusion damage is always typeless, has 40 BP, and wears off after 1-4 attacking turns. I don't think this is too unbalanced or OP in theory, but it does get annoying in practice. Still nowhere near as bad as my most hated battle mechanic: the critical hit.

My only complaint with confusion is the hax the ai pulls with it when it can't win otherwise. But it does that with everything so it's not really a complaint confusion per say.

It's annoying whenever it happens to me, but it's useful against others

Attraction is far, far worse IMO. Although I think I could deal with it if it was actually love and not something akin to paralyzing lust.

It's annoying how it is, but also useful sometimes. It's annoying when you just continually hit yourself, or when the enemy continually attacks normally or snaps out of it too quickly. I think it should be altered, so that whatever result you get on one turn, you're far more likely to get the other on the next. That way it sort of balances out. And you can't snap out of confusion until after 2 turns at least. Or something. (Weirdly, I think on the poll I counted this as being buffed - I didn't mean to click that definitely, though I suppose in a way it is, in another way it isn't.) Confusion is one of my favourite statuses to use, though the over-reliance on luck can be very frustrating, so if it was made a little more reliable and predictable, that would be an improvement, I think.

Attraction is far, far worse IMO. Although I think I could deal with it if it was actually love and not something akin to paralyzing lust.

Whenever I successfully attack my opponent under Attraction, I would think "this is sorta an abusive relationship".

The status itself can stay, but confusion shouldn't stack up with Sleep. It is not only just annoying to deal with the confusion status after dealing with Sleep, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. At least actually remove one turn from the confusion duration when the Pokemon is sleeping or using a Trainer item.

To me it shouldn't stack with sleep, paralysis and such. Getting paralyzed AND confused at the same time it's the most infuriating thing in the world.

To me it shouldn't stack with sleep, paralysis and such. Getting paralyzed AND confused at the same time it's the most infuriating thing in the world.

I agree. I think it'd be nice if it was an actual status condition, so it couldn't be stacked.

I don't mind confusion too much. However, when playing Pokémon Yellow on my GameBoy, it is the absolutely most worse status affliction. my Pokémon would always hurt themselves, while the computer would hardly ever do anything to the AI. Then again, RNG has always hated me...

The only thing that bothers me about Confusion is that your pokemon can hurt themselves somehow from doing non-damaging moves. How does one hurt themselves by using Calm Mind or Swords Dance? And I also agree that being paralyzed and confused or poisoned and confused at the same time is the worst.

The only thing that bothers me about Confusion is that your pokemon can hurt themselves somehow from doing non-damaging moves. How does one hurt themselves by using Calm Mind or Swords Dance? And I also agree that being paralyzed and confused or poisoned and confused at the same time is the worst.

Well, hurting yourself from dancing with swords doesn't sound so hard...

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom