• Another exciting episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here.
  • Grookey, Scorbunny or Sobble, which one do you love most? Want to show your support with a cool banner, check out the info here!

Your top 10 favourite games?

Ares

Reaction score
As always, when choosing favorites of anything, I find it very hard to limit (unless there aren't many options to being with or I don't like as many). In no particular order:

1. The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword. I think this may very well be my favorite game. The motion controls took time getting used to but once I got the hang of it, I personally found it fun. I really liked using the motion controls during the final boss fights. This entry in the series introduced very likable characters and quite an engaging story. Zelda and Link's relationship in this game is strong and Groose's character development is too good. Ghirahim turned into my favorite Zelda villain. Not to mention that he has a really good theme and his moments. One favorite moment of mine was during the ritual where he was humming his own theme song. And the music... Just so very good in my opinion. The Red Loftwing, Sealed Temple, Island in the Sky, Fi's Gratitude, Ghirahim Battle, the classic Zelda's Lullaby and so much more. I'll honestly be here all day if I talked about its entire soundtrack.

2. Mother 3. Mother 3 is one emotional video game. I admit, I wasn't as interested in the series at first. But after having played it, I regret not having played the series any sooner. Mother 3 is the only one I've played so far but the experience I've had with Mother 3 has 100% pulled me into the series. I will definitely try to make time for the others one day. As for why I love this game, it is without a doubt its story, themes, characters, music and simple yet, fun gameplay. Reminds me of Dragon Quest actually (another series of which I'm fond of).

3. Pokemon Sun and Moon. This entry in the series introduced very likable characters in my opinion. I'm very fond of Lillie and Gladion. I also enjoyed Lusamine's role in the story. Not to mention that their themes are really good. There are a lot of Pokemon designs that I liked. Popplio, Alolan Ninetales, Kommo-o, Silvally, and many more. The battles felt a lot more alive and I found the battles enjoyable because of this. Just wish the trainers had more Pokemon. The story was its strongest point for me and I wasn't really expecting for a legendary to be my favorite Pokemon from the game. I also liked the side story with Anabel and Looker.

4. Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War. My favorite Fire Emblem game. I'm not a fan of the child mechanic. I prefer having just one generation of characters. It was alright in Awakening but it got out of hand in Fates. It felt like the children were shoe horned into Fates and weren't relevant to the story which made them feel like optional characters. That is not to say that I didn't enjoy using them. Their involvement in the games just felt forced. But in Genealogy of the Holy War? I really liked it. My favorite characters do involve the children. Seliph (along with Sigurd) is my favorite lord in the series. Then there is Ares, Leif, Tinny, Ced, Lene and so on and so forth. As for the music, I personally love it so much. Dancing in the Skies, Deirdre's theme, Eldigan the Lionheart, Kingdom of Silesse, Tinny's theme... etc. Finally, there is the gameplay and story. The story is good. I wholeheartedly enjoyed it. There were times where I found myself playing for hours just to see what would happen next. The love system is ok. I made sure to have my preferred pairings remain close and talk to each other so I didn't have many problems. I've only had a time were I was almost screwed with Sylvia marrying off Lewyn (my preferred pairing is Lewyn and Erin). I'm not aware of the general opinion on this but I enjoyed the items mechanic. I also really liked the home base where you could do a variety of things including going to the arena. As for favorite characters to use? Lewyn, Ced, Sigurd, and Seliph are usually the first ones I think of (of course I have many others but I'd be here all day if I were to describe each one in much more length). Let's just say that using Forseti is quite fun. Sigurd and Seliph are no pushovers either.

5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Tied to Skyward Sword as my favorite Zelda game. I really liked this game due to the open world nature it introduced to the series. I simply have good memories of this game. I got the Switch on launch day, I was very hyped for the game, and it was a Friday night, so I basically spent the entire weekend playing for hours. I was definitely hooked. I wasn't on board with this Princess Zelda incarnation at first but I grew to really like her as I progressed. Her personality was something understandable. She felt pressured due to the role she had to fulfill. The champions were interesting, too. I like all of them really. Mipha is the champion I like most and her theme is nice, too. The temples were my least favorite part of the game. If it had temples like the the past games, I would have enjoyed it even more. I loved having interactions with animals too (horses, dogs, birds) and I hope this becomes more common in future games.

6. Metroid Prime 3. Metroid Prime trilogy has become one of my favorite games of all time due to its gameplay and atmosphere. I think the way they implemented the lore in the trilogy was fantastic. And there were some humorous scans in there (like the space pirates treating Metroids like pets by feeding them treats). As for why I like Metroid Prime 3... It’s the hunters, music, atmosphere, Dark Samus, Hyper Mode, and overall gameplay. I really love the themes of all the hunters and Dark Samus’s.

7. Metroid Fusion. The atmosphere, overall soundtrack, bosses, and the premise is what made me love this game. It's so short, too so I like replaying it every once in a while. And SA-X... a scary villain. Everytime it would appear, I felt hunted. Not to mention that the actual boss fight is quite hard unless you come up with a trick. Small detail but I liked the appearances of the Dachoras and Etecoons. Cute creatures that Samus has made friends with in the past. :)

8. Fire Emblem Path of Radiance (and its sequel). I liked that we got a protagonist that started out as a normal person and then grew to be quite the character. Ike is a very well written character and so are the Tellius games as a whole. They are second to Genealogy of the Holy War for me. It's due to the story, characters, music, and gameplay that I like these games. Just to name a few: Titania, Soren, Reyson, Tibarn, Naesala, Elincia, and so much more. As for music: The Devoted, At Peace, Like Father, Like Son, Bearer of Hope, Sorrowful Prince Pelleas are some of my favorites. I liked the introduction of the Laguz, too. It was an interesting concept for sure and a concept that made a good story.

9. Dragon Quest 11. I finished playing this in January and I really enjoyed it. It is the Dragon Quest I've been waiting for since Dragon Quest 8. Since I loved DQ 8, I had a feeling I was going to love this one as well and it didn't disappoint me. However, the protagonist needs a bit of work imo. The silent personality he had just didn't work too well and it felt off at times. The music felt too samey. It wasn't orchestral either so that was a bummer. I'm happy that the Switch version looks like it'll be turning things around with the soundtrack (it will include an orchestral version) though. As for the characters, Jade is a favorite. I tend to like characters that have a calm personality so I liked her from the start. I think that her English voice actress did a good job and her martial artist design is cool. As for the others, I personally found them all very lovable. And one such character had an arc that handled her character development very well. The story is very simple. Bad guy tries to destroy the world and the hero has to stop it but it kept me engaged due to the characters and their voice acting. The gameplay is not too complicated but it's something I have no problems with.

10. Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna the Golden Country. This one was a hard one. I was debating whether to go for either the original or this one but I ultimately went with this one because of the gameplay. The music is very good. The Battle! theme, main title theme, ending theme, and Lasaria are some of my favorites. The story is very short in comparison to its predecessors but I liked it. It acts as a prequel to Xenoblade Chronicles 2. The gameplay was really fun. Chain attacks, switching from driver to blade, driver combos, art combos, etc. As Lora put it ingame, "This is starting to get addicting". Lol.

I repeat the word "favorite" a lot. Apologies, haha.

Edit: Tried to lessen the word favorite by wording certain statements differently though it still appears quite a lot.

Last edited: