• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Anime Your Unpopular Anime, Manga and J-Pop Opinions

is a goat now
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The Secret World of Arrietty is my favorite Ghibli film. I see people who like it but a lot more who prefer others, or haven't seen it altogether. I think it deserves more attention than it gets! I also didn't really click with My Neighbor Totoro. :<

The #1 Deerling Fan!
Reaction score
The Secret World of Arrietty is my favorite Ghibli film. I see people who like it but a lot more who prefer others, or haven't seen it altogether. I think it deserves more attention than it gets! I also didn't really click with My Neighbor Totoro. :<
I personally liked Arrietty when I first saw it. I even went to see it in theaters with my best friend when it was first being shown in English! I wouldn't consider it my personal favorite Ghibli movie (That honor goes to Whisper of the Heart), but it's a nice little movie.

Pokemon Researcher
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
She/Her
Anyway, I frankly don't have much against dubbed anime. I've seen some subbed episodes and can understand the negative reception, but all the thrown fits make it hard to sympathize with them.
I agree. I can't understand the hate around ALL dubbed anime. Like when the dubbing is bad I completely get it, but not all anime dubs are bad. And I think dubbing opens anime up to many other kinds of watches. For me, I'm the kind of person who has a hard time just sitting down to watch a show. I will get distracted by something, and reading subtitles while being distracted can get difficult. So, unless I know I can fully invest all my energy into watching something, I prefer to watch the dub so I can multitask.

It also just depends on the anime for me. There are certain anime that I refuse to watch with the dub because it's just atrocious, or I simply prefer watching that anime with subs. There are also some subbed anime that I won't watch, even when I can focus on it.

The Secret World of Arrietty is a great Ghibli, and I really think it needs more recognition. I would say it's in my top 3 (along with Whisper of the Heart and Castle in the Sky), and is definitely my favorite in terms of lore and worldbuilding.

Last edited:
Let's go hunting
Reaction score
First part is AoT manga spoilers, so definitely skip and don't click if you don't want to get spoiled!:
Alright so I actually don't mind how AoT seems to be ending, yeah it would've been fun to see Eren come out on top in the end but that isn't the whole point of his character. I know that it was a common and popular theory that Mikasa would be the one to deal the final blow to Eren, and now that that's true I was pretty satisfied with it; well except when she kissed his disembodied head, that was gross. I also thought the visions she got with her and Eren running away from the war and living out Eren's last years together was kinda meh, maybe cause I'm not a Mikasa fan and I'm not a big fan of the ship between her and Eren, and the way it seems to imply that EreHisu may not have happened and the Farmer is the father of Historia's child is more likely true, but I wasn't really too satisfied with that specific part in 138. Also I wasn't sad when Connie became a titan, now Jean turning into one got me more sad, and Gabi getting turned into one is so funny she finally got her wish lol. One more thing, this also just shows that Levi should've died long ago, his arc and his use is done and over with, I dislike the guy but jeez give him a mercy kill or something (but we gotta shill his popularity apparently).

I like all the Black Bulls in Black Clover, but I'm way more interested in the other Magic Knight Squads. Also I prefer to see the BB's family moments with their own family and see their relationship dynamics (Noelle with her siblings, Finral and Langris, Yami with Julius and William, etc.). The only thing that really makes them a family is that they're all way more eccentric compared to other people, still fun to see but nothing really that makes me gush over it too much.

Speaking of BC I prefer Finral x Vanessa over Finral x Finesse. Finral and Vanessa have a better dynamic and she's a bit better with his personality type, Finesse is the most boring and milquetoast character to pair off with Finral imo; I'd rather she'd stay with Langris and go through with the marriage tbh. But I do respect his deep love for Finesse, at the very least, just wished she had more to her.

Stars Align was boring and I never saw the hype for it tbh, it being only 12 episodes and not the original 24 really hurt it in my eyes; probably would've liked it more if it wasn't cut from that. Though I still hold Prince of Tennis on a high pedestal as well for tennis anime/manga, and Stars Align didn't scratch that tennis itch.

I can't get into Ping Pong the Animation, I tried but the character designs and animation just throws me off so much and I find it kind of ugly. I might try watching it again, especially since it's apparently really character driven and their developments are great, and I do like the water color and soft palettes they use in some of the backgrounds.

Loveless should either get a second season or a reboot and adapt more of the manga. I really enjoy the manga and seeing more of Loveless would just make me happy in general.

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Ze/Zem/Zir
I tried watching the original Digimon and the current series and I found them both boring. The original has them first entering the Digiworld and took too long to get anywhere. The current series starts with them fighting a super powerful virus Digimon only to unleash a stronger form...twice.

This is only for the two anime series I've watched, if anybody has any recommendations, I'm willing to listen. I got nothing against the rest of the franchise.

I don't understand the appeal of Dragon Ball. All I see is extremely ripped guys with generic super powers beating each other up. I especially can't say I find it amusing that they basically ripped it off a Japanese folktale. Although at least Goku has a likable heroic personality.
Well first of all I wouldn't recommended watching 2 Digimon series at the same time. I think you should've started with the first series and maybe watched the second one too before watching the current series. Also the third series (Tamers) is the best one in my opinion. The best thing about that one is that you can watch it without watching the others because it exists in its own continuity without relying on the first two series.

Illusion
Reaction score
I think the Akira movie is actually kind of bad. Some consider it as the epitome of anime movies but I thought the manga was way better in terms of the story because it's more cohesive and makes more sense. The movie also does a poor job of developing the characters.

Let's go hunting
Reaction score
I think the Akira movie is actually kind of bad. Some consider it as the epitome of anime movies but I thought the manga was way better in terms of the story because it's more cohesive and makes more sense. The movie also does a poor job of developing the characters.
I liked the movie when I first watched it years ago, but I've been meaning to read the manga since some of my friends that have read it said it's way better (though to be fair the manga wasn't finished when they made the movie, so they had to take liberties with the story), and your post certainly reaffirms that I should get to it. Speaking of which, are you going to watch the Akira (Shin Anime) whenever it comes out? I hear it's supposed to be a more complete adaptation of the manga.