• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Your Unpopular Anime, Manga and J-Pop Opinions

Haruka_Rules!

Long live Haruka (May)!
Reaction score
I'm surprised that Land of the Rising Sun doesn't have this yet so here it is. Please keep Pokemon related examples to its own thread.

I give some of mine to get started.

I do not care for Attack on Titan.

I found Steins;Gate so boring that I didn't even bother finishing the series.

Spice and Wolf wasn't interesting enough to me to keep watching (I stopped after episode 5 of the first season)

Spirited Away was a good movie but it is not in my top favorite Ghibli films. Yes I have seen all the movies from Studio Ghibli, including their latest one When Marnie Was There.

InuYasha is my least favorite manga and anime by Rumiko Takahashi. It used to be my favorite until I read/watched her other works like: Ranma 1/2, Urusei Yatsura, Maison Ikkoku and even Rin-ne.

I'm not a fan of Studio Ghibli, Sword Art or Dragon Ball.

SAO is, for the most part, garbage. Actually, by now, you may even be able to consider that popular opinion.

Maybe if it had interesting aspects to keep you watching like time travel or economics lessons... :p

SAO is, for the most part, garbage. Actually, by now, you may even be able to consider that popular opinion.

Maybe if it had interesting aspects to keep you watching like time travel or economics lessons... :p
Its Garbage from King Garbage from the Garbage dynasty!
The characters get on my nerves quite easly

I hated Tantei Opera Milky Holmes, it's a good thing it was a 13 episode season.
Mekkaku City Actors was just bad, it made no sense.
I hated Ikuto in Shugo Chara.

I feel like this is one of those opinions that is both popular and unpopular. SAO is well liked by its fans (and by all commercial metrics is a runaway hit). On the other hand, it's a popular opinion among savvy anime fans to hate it. At first it was the edgy non-conformist opinion but it's gained steam XD

As for my unpopular opinions:

- Naruto and Bleach are boring, uninspired and hold absolutely no interest for me. Way too much filler, minimal payoff, cliched plots... just ew.

- In most cases I prefer watching dubs over subs. Exceptions are where the dub is just awful, which is rarer and rarer nowadays.

- Dragonball Z is overrated. I loved it as a kid, still hold fond memories of it now, but it wasn't that world changing show we all thought it was as kids (that title goes to Cowboy Bebop which only gets better with age)

- I'm not sure if this is actually unpopular but Cowboy Bebop is the best anime ever made, even if many people consider it more of a gateway than a true standout in the genre.

- Fairy Tail is by far the best long-runner shonen of them all.

I feel like this is one of those opinions that is both popular and unpopular. SAO is well liked by its fans (and by all commercial metrics is a runaway hit). On the other hand, it's a popular opinion among savvy anime fans to hate it. At first it was the edgy non-conformist opinion but it's gained steam XD

For sure, both camps are pretty large. Honestly, I think both extreme ends of the spectrum are a little misguided. I think SAO is for sure garbage, relative to its popularity. By its own merits, I think it can manage the title of "mediocre," which puts it in the same camp as most other forgettable anime. However, its fun concept and community persistence continue to make it not so forgettable.

I think that Sailor Moon Crystal is better than the original Sailor Moon series. I've been watching the original Sailor Moon series as it's been uploaded on Hulu, so I've only gotten to S thus far, but I don't think it's particularly good. When it's good, it's pretty darn good. The season one finale and most of the episodes focused on the Inner Guardians are some examples of when the series can be good. But when it's bad, it's annoyingly bad. The romance between Usagi and Mamoru is horribly written right from the start. It feels so forced and contrived. The convoluted and horrible break-up subplot from R made me hate their relationship even more as all it really did was make me think that they shouldn't be in a relationship. It was also one reason why that's my least favorite season thus far. Also, Haruka and Michiru come off as jerks in S, especially Haruka, and the pacing for that season has really dragged on.

Crystal feels much more enjoyable for me. Usagi comes off as a better written character. I like Usagi in the original series, but she can be used as comedy relief a bit too often, especially when the other characters get on her case despite how she has proven herself as a capable leader multiple times. The romance between Usagi and Mamoru is a thousand times better than it was in the original series. It really helps that Mamoru isn't a jerk to Usagi and there was some romantic sparks forming between them before they found out about their past lives. The storylines for both arcs were more interesting than they were in the original series, especially the Black Moon arc. Chibi-Usa is far more likable than she come off during most of R as well, although she has been mostly okay in S thus far for me. Crystal basically has the strengths and weaknesses of the manga, although some might argue against the strengths part, and that appeals to me more since I have enjoyed what I've read of the manga.

It certainly isn't perfect though. They barely had a budget during the Dark Kingdom arc and while it was significantly better during the Black Moon arc, there were still noticeable moments where the animation was still an issue. The Inner Guardians don't have as much personality or focus as they did in the original series, which is one of the flaws I thought that manga had as well. Crystal could have fixed that if they weren't so focused on doing one chapter per episode, which can be a problem too. The idea of having the Four Kings and the Inner Guardians be lovers in their past lives also felt extremely tacked on with little reason for me to care compared to Usagi and Mamoru's relationship. In spite of its flaws, I think that Crystal is a better and more enjoyable Sailor Moon than the original one and I do hope that they can get another season to cover the rest of the manga.

I think that Kill La Kill is terrible. I couldn't make it past three episodes before dropping the show. I wanted to like it because I love Gurren Lagann, but it just lacked the same kind of heart with its story and characters that Gurren Lagann had for me. Based on the first three episodes, it had the same kind of insanity Gurren Lagann had taken to extreme levels, but none of the substance or heart to make it worthwhile to watch. Unless you can laugh at the fanservice, not be bothered by it at all or enjoy heavy fanservice shows, I don't think people would be able to enjoy it. The fanservice was the main issue I had with it, especially when the in-universe reason behind it just made it seem more stupid to me, but none of the characters or the storyline were particularly engaging enough for me. They were okay at best, which wasn't enough to make me keep watching a show that bothered me so much, especially the opening to the second episode with the creepy perverted father over the main characters' unconscious body.

I think that Attack on Titan is overrated. I've the whole series and I would say that it's good, which is more than I can for other popular series like Sword Art Online, but I don't think it lives up to its hype. There aren't too many characters that actually have development and only a handful of characters are memorable enough. It has an interesting storyline with a unique premise, but it doesn't have much going for it as far as characters go, which doesn't make it as good as it could be. I'd recommend it, but I do think it's overrated and over hyped.

Sword Art Online is the worst anime I've ever seen. I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but I'll include it just in case. After seeing the first season, I have absolutely no idea why this terrible show is popular. The flaws are huge and obvious. The pacing is terrible, the characters are boring, the romance is forced and wooden, the writing is absolutely horrible, the emotional moments are so emotionally manipulative, the incest subplot in the second arc was insultingly stupid, the random tentacle guards, the attempted virtual rape and the attempt to make the villain from the first arc look like a better guy compared to the attempted rapist, despite how he was responsible for killing thousands of people and didn't even remember why he became a mass murderer. Even aspects people claim are some of its strengths like the animation and fight scenes aren't that great. They certainly aren't good enough to balance out all of the flaws here. I can usually understand why something becomes so popular, even if I don't like it myself, but I really have no idea why Sword Art Online is as popular and as successful as it is when it is so painfully and insultingly bad.

Last edited:
The Monogatari series is incredibly overrated in my opinion, I found the anime incredibly dull.

Gundam SEED Destiny isn’t the huge, steaming pile of irredeemable crap that people say it is. It’s got a plethora of issues, particularly in the 2nd half of the show, but it has its good points and I personally don’t think it deserves to be one of the most hated anime possibly ever. The soundtrack was top-notch for one thing, the Cosmic Era can always be counted on for that at least. A lot of the mecha designs were pretty cool, especially the Impulse, Destiny, Gaia, and Saviour. The show started off actually really well, and it had a ton of potential as well as a compelling antagonist (who just needed more elaboration perhaps). The characters were interesting enough, just that the writing didn’t always do them justice. And here’s another unpopular anime opinion: Shinn is actually a really interesting character and not a chronic whiny baby like people act like. He had a traumatic experience in losing his family right before his eyes in a country that seemingly should have been safe, and I think his personality and actions in the series can easily be seen to be a result of that. The only big problem I have with Shinn is that his appearances became weirdly sporadic as the series went on. damn you Kira I can’t say I’d have probably acted any differently in Shinn’s position, to be honest.

The Sailor Moon manga is super overrated, and the 90s anime is the best incarnation of the Sailor Moon story. It changed things and personalities, but for me personally, that was a vast improvement and gave everyone much more flavor and spice. 90 anime-Mamoru is SO MUCH BETTER than any other version, same for Usagi who actually looked and acted like a young teenager who grew throughout the show, and the other scouts actually had more personality in the 90s anime than the manga.

Chris in Sonic X was actually a likable character. Nobody is going to trust my opinion on anything anymore now that I’ve said that haha, but I actually really do think he wasn't bad.

Funimation isn’t that great with dubs. They are SO predictable with their English dub casts that it almost hurts (“character has glasses? Better send in J. Michael Tatum!!”) , and sometimes their adaptations are very iffy. Some shows benefit (like Hetalia imo), but sometimes when they do semi-serious shows, things don’t work out. For instance, Black Butler. The voices were meh in general, the attempts at an accent were all over the place and inconsistent to the point of being distracting.

Digimon 02 was at its best when Ken was the villain. It went downhill after he became an ally.

Digimon Savers was cool with a teenage cast. It wasn't the worst.

Naruto had the worst ending ever. Seriously, early Naruto was trying to give the message that no matter who you are, as long as you try hard enough you can overcome naturally born bloodline talents and special techniques - that the underdog can grow up to be strong. That all became bullsh*t when Naruto himself turns out to be born as one most special bloodline descendants AND a naturally born genius. All those messages taught for naught and in the end, you had to be of special birth to save the word. Madara's Infinite Tsukuyomi would have been a much better option...

Slain was sacrificed for the sake of Aldnoah Zero's plot. The princess was the wreck. (Maybe this is actually a popular opinion?)

I can't deal with naruto at all. No manga and not the anime. Even the first 20 of reborn were better than the first 50 of naruto.

Anything to do with space is pretty boring, I mean mars daybreak was the only thing I enjoyed.

Slam dunk was alright, but I preferred eyeshield 21.

B Gata H Kei is my favorite anime, and manga, with reborn a really close second. Well I don't know if gamble fish gets an anime.

Slain was sacrificed for the sake of Aldnoah Zero's plot. The princess was the wreck. (Maybe this is actually a popular opinion?)
The whole anime was a wreck IMO. Great soundtrack and animation though a lot of potential was wasted.

I like Sailor Moon Crystal, it's a good dramatic series and it's been a nice way to retell the manga for the modern day.

I don't think I could stomach Attack on Titan if I tried watching it, and the whole thing sounds too depressing. (EDIT 6/25/2017: This second one might not be that accurate anymore. I'm still not yet at the point where I'd watch the anime or manga, but the overarching plot and its current developments do intrigue me.)

Last edited:
I don't mind the Inuyasha filler episodes. (I like the characters.)

Here's another one: Nichijiou just wasn't funny to me, I tried watching it and I just didn't get it.

This is slightly Pokemon related, but still primarily focused on a different series. I don't think that all Digimon series are better than Pokemon. Adventure and Tamers are definitely better and maybe Frontier since I remember that being mostly good until the Royal Knights arc, but it kind of bothers me when people claim that Digimon is automatically better than Pokemon or describe Digimon as the thinking person's Pokemon. There are some series that I don't think are better than Pokemon, like Adventure 02, Xros Wars and maybe Savers. I haven't seen Savers for awhile, so I don't know if I'd say it was better or worse than a Pokemon series. While I liked Xros Wars, I don't know if it was really that great either from a story or character perspective. It was solid good fun with some good emotional moments, but not one of the best series.

Most anything Pokemon related is better than the terrible disappointing mess that was Young Hunters, except for maybe that horrible Mastermind special. Such a huge waste of potential and a huge waste of time by the end to boot.

-I really disliked Clannad After Story. I found it to be really boring to me and truth be told, it actually put me to sleep. Eventually dropped it, or perhaps I literally couldn't finish it.
-The Highschool DxD series. I always wondered how this series got good ratings. Just a typical Ecchi / Harem in my eyes. But How! Why is there so much hype and such good ratings!?
-My Little Sister can’t be this Cute Series. No comment.

But through the years, you learn that you don't really regret watching anime. Every show is an experience, and that's what I love about it. Especially when a really good 1 is airing! The feeling of your 7 day wait is over. Enjoy~! I love it! Gives you something to look forward to.

Back
Top Bottom