• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Your Unpopular Anime, Manga and J-Pop Opinions

Couldn't stand Kekkaishi, story got boring. Even the Pokemon anime entered the list given that it got to repetitive and with the company's refusal to switch out Ash or Team Rocket. Will still watch it but don't care if I miss or partly miss an episode.

When it comes to dubs I don't mind watching them as long as they are faithful to the original Japanese version and wouldn't otherwise offend me. For example a lot of previous Funimation dubs often had material that was original to their version with Yu Yu Hakusho being a good example though with their recent dubs this has died down.

- I must be one of the few who actually liked the DiC Entertainment dub of Sailor Moon. Yes, I love the original Japanese version a lot more, but the dub was so cheesy and beyond ridiculous that I enjoy watching it. I've seen worse dubs, believe me.
- While on the subject of Sailor Moon, I actually liked the anime a lot more than the manga.
- On the subject of dubs, I actually liked the dub of Detective Conan a lot more than the original Japanese version.
- I also found Spice and Wolf to be boring as hell. I thought the premise was interesting, but god damn, it got boring FAST.
- I love Digimon, but Digimon 02 became a confusing mess. I have only seen the dub so maybe the original explains things better, but there was a time I stopped watching that show because I just stopped caring. The same thing can be said about Digimon Tamers.
- Naruto is crap. I hate that show. I can't stand the dub and the original. Bleach is not as bad but I also didn't care for it. Actually, I don't care that much for a lot of mainstream anime and manga. By the way, I'm not the type of person who hates on mainstream things just because they're popular. I genuinely don't care for these shows. I watched them, I really wanted to give them a chance, and didn't like them in the end. The only mainstream thing I really like now is Attack on Titan.
- I liked Dragon Ball a lot more than Dragonball Z. Dragon Ball was a fun show with cute anthro characters, and while it had its dark moments, it wasn't an all-out insane muscle contest that Z was with an added layer of angst. Z just got unbearable after a while.

Naruto and Bleach aren't quite as terrible as the hatedoms want to make them out to be. That's not to say that they're masterpieces, but I find their hatedoms to be very obnoxious.

Fairy Tail and Katekyo Hitman REBORN! are both very mediocre. I don't know that may actually be the popular opinion with Fairy Tail, but with REBORN! I remember it being the big thing and it was disappointing... Annoying characters, horribly disappointing strict roles for two of the female characters, and just in general, cheesy because it was hard to feel for anything that happened.

Gintama is a snorefest. I tried to watch it, I really did. I drudged through 50 episodes of it, just to see what it was all about, as it was VERY high rated - at least back then. There were only a few funny moments here and there (when it was supposed to be the funniest series ever), and the only serious arc I watched was...eh.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure was a lot better in its first two series than it was with Stardust Crusaders. Don't get me wrong, Stardust Crusaders was still unique and quite a thing to see, but it was so formulaic compared to the first two series.

I don't see why people hate Sword Art Online with such a burning passion. I did find a lot of it be pretty stupid - the whole watching a fictional world within a fictional world thing just doesn't work very well for me... But I don't think it's the worst thing I have ever watched ever. If anything it's not much worse than REBORN! and Fairy Tail.

I'm tired of people blatantly overusing the "dere" stereotype, saying "baka" or "notice me senpai" (whatever the hell those mean). And the "running to school with a slice of toast in their mouth"...uh, I'm PRETTY sure that won't keep your stomach filled until lunch, kids. Trust me, I've tried in high school...that wasn't pretty.

Ohhhhhhhh boy.

1. I never liked the Haruhi Suzumiya series. I think its terrible and overrated.
2. Same with Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Nagi no Asukara, every ecchi anime ever, etc. I'm not one who cares for most mainstream anime, not because they're popular, but because most of them either don't appeal to me, are too long, or have elements in them that really turn me off forever.
3. I actually like Sailor Moon Crystal. Now, I think the live-action version of SM is my favorite adaptation, but Crystal has plenty of merits as well. I think the unadulterated vitriol it gets, especially on Tumblr, is a biiiiiiiit much. At this point I kinda pity it.
4. Never saw Gurren Lagann or Kill la Kill, never will.
5. I don't think Spirited Away is Ghibli's best movie. I saw it but I don't think its a masterpiece. I think Whisper of the Heart and Kaguya are better.
6. I think Saban never should have touched Smile Precure and turned it into Glitter Force. It really says something when a Canadian company who dubbed the original Futari wa Pretty Cure did a way better job at dubbing it and staying true to the original show without going overboard with the censorship!
7. My anime club showed two episodes of Cowboy Bebop once. Didn't like it. The dub is fine but that's old news. Other dubs are great too, y'know!

"Anime" and "manga" are silly loan-words that people need to stop saying. "Japanese cartoons" and "Japanese comic books" are what they actually are, so I don't see the need for a special word as if they're something different.

Dragonball > Dragonball Z

Shingu is the best anime no one's seen. It's not that it's underrated, it's that no one knows about it. It's on Crunchyroll now so hopefully that will give it some exposure.

I hate both Clannads. My brother tried getting me into it; only problem was, he was trying to convert me with the Dubbed version. I just found the voice acting really bland and uninteresting.

I hate harem anime. They think they can just replace the "plot" with more big boobie ladies, but I'm telling you that just doesn't work. Mind you, I actually like fanservice, when it's done right- Harems usually always overindulge on that aspect.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure should be renamed, "The Average Day of a Male Model"

I thought Bleach was good for a while, but then I stopped watching it around the Fake Karakura Town Arc. It was taking too long to resolve, not to mention the confusing tendencies for Toonami to jump right into a completely different story arc when they're stalling for new episodes. And I was never sure if said different arc had anything to do with the current one or not.

One Piece should just end already.

I'm actually glad One Punch Man came around. I was about to quit anime entirely because I thought the anime industry was cranking out nothing but garbage-tier oversaturated fanservice shows.

Oh, and what was that one anime about the school girl who's this perfect Mary Sue at school who does no wrong, but when she gets home, she turns into this five year-old hamster brat that just won't leave her hardworking brother alone? God, I hated that anime. I'm sure glad it fell into obscurity real quick.

Oh, and what was that one anime about the school girl who's this perfect Mary Sue at school who does no wrong, but when she gets home, she turns into this five year-old hamster brat that just won't leave her hardworking brother alone? God, I hated that anime. I'm sure glad it fell into obscurity real quick.

The anime in question is Himouto! Umaru-chan.

I honestly cannot stand the OP for Ouran High School Host Club. I know everyone loves it but I find it unbearable to listen to.

I like Clannad, but it's far from being the greatest thing I've ever watched. Then again I haven't watched After Story yet, so what do I know. Maybe After Story is better.

I liked the first half of the Attack on Titan anime a lot, but the second half bored me to tears. I have no real interest in the series anymore but I'm going to watch the second season just for the sake of having watched the whole thing.

I think Yugioh Zexal is awesome. I have not watched any of the other Yugioh series' but Zexal is just a really enjoyable show to me, with lovable characters and a fun story to follow. I don't understand the hate.

As a general opinion, I find reading manga really annoying. Something about reading right to left and the illustrations being all black and white makes my eyes hurt for some reason.

I think Yugioh Zexal is awesome. I have not watched any of the other Yugioh series' but Zexal is just a really enjoyable show to me, with lovable characters and a fun story to follow. I don't understand the hate.

Once you watch the others and compare, you'll understand why the hate.

I don't like Evangelion. I don't know if that's such a controversial opinion now but back in the late 90s/early 00s it had lots of rabid fans who'd call you stupid for not liking it.

I like One Piece as a manga but I'm not into the anime.

G Gundam is my favorite Gundam. Sure it's cheesy, but it's so much fun.

I hate the Berserk OVA; but from what little I watched I was glad it didn't have Puck. I hated Puck in the manga.

I hate Naruto and Bleach, i consider them Gateway anime and nothing more. It's good for newcomers but terrible for anyone else

I hate High School of the Dead, not because it's overly fanservicey, but because I don't like the way the blood was animated. it looked all too realistic and watery to me, it made me sick to my stomach whenever I watch it.

And on that note: I hate harem anime, except, ironically, Rosario+Vampire and Sekirei.

Back
Top Bottom