• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Your Unpopular Anime, Manga and J-Pop Opinions

I really, really dislike Jojo's and I've never seen One Punch Man

aaaaaannnddd, after Johto, the pokemon anime completely lost my interest

I probably won't catch as much fire for this, but Yu-Gi-Oh is my all-time favourite manga series. And Evangelion is my all-time favourite Anime series.

I hate Mangafox. Their translations are lousy. I was trying to read Berserk from it, and every few seconds I had to stop and keep my self from laughing by how bad the translations were.

Last edited by a moderator:
For whatever reason I can't stand anything put out by Studio Ghibli. Any time I've tried watching any movie by the company I haven't enjoyed it.

That's unpopular?
Very. Just hop over to Cheezburger and the anti-SAO sentiment is insanely heavy. You don't dare mention that you like it or you will get dogpiled. It's nuts. Any memes with SAO get downvoted to oblivion and the comments section is just... well, if you value your sanity you don't go in there. =/

I'm also not all that into Attack on Titan, even though it's supposed to be super-awesome. I just have no desire to see it.

Not sure how popular or even relevant my opinions are, but I'm just gonna state what I've got anyways.

Even though I think the TV series of Puella Magi Madoka Magica is better, the adaptation movies Beginnings and Eternal are good in their own right. Admittedly, the movies do take out scenes from the original series that I felt were important, and that changes the story's experience, but I see them as more than just a Cliffnote version of the TV series for extra cash-grab. I felt that making the series into movies was good because of how Rebellion was a sequel movie, and that people new to the franchise can just watch the movies in order like any other movie trilogy rather than needing to know the story of a TV series before watching a movie. (If what I explained made sense).

I don't like the mentality that adaptations can't be good as the original, whether its an anime adaptation of a manga or the other way around. Sometimes, I think adaptations can actually be better than the original, such as the K-On! anime adaptation. Some mangas are simply better suited for the screen, so I don't think it's fair to say that the source material is always better just because it came first. Same with dubbing. Maybe I'm biased because I'm a huge supporter of English dubbed anime, but I do watch some anime subbed. Some anime characters sound better in the English dub to me than in original Japanese audio. And there are others where they sound better in the original.

More of a minor nitpick of mine than a complaint, but I don't always find BD releases to be better than the TV releases. The BD corrections do look nice most of the time, but sometimes I feel like the changes aren't always for the better. Some scenes look better to me on TV, like the famous Madoka Magica with Sayaka and Kyoko (don't want to spoil the scene for anyone who hasn't seen it, hopefully those who've watched the series will know which one I'm talking about). BD put too much light on what was in the background rather than on the characters themselves. While it looks more realistic and some might think it fits the atmosphere, it puts less emphasis on the characters themselves, in my opinion. It's a bit of a shame that the TV version is usually never seen again and that those who want to see the TV version, even if it's just so they can make their own comparisons to the enhanced DVD versions, will have to find people who Keep Circulating the Tapes. Not to mention that the TV versions don't even seem to get dubbed most of the time, though I understand why it wouldn't be practical to do so. But I don't think that there's no reason to watch the TV version if there's a better BD version, since TV versions are a work of art in their own right.

I don't understand why people don't like Sword Art Online. Is it too mainstream? I really don't know I never watch the whole seasons. I could say about the sign saying "trump like to watch S.A.O" but might be too political. But seriously, is it THAT bad?

Oh, and my brother didn't like Attack on Titan cause how mainstream it was. But once he played the fan game, he was hooked.

End of Evangelion is the worst part of the Eva franchise. It's too depressing and squicky even by Eva standards and is essentially a deliberate middle finger aimed at the viewers. Granted, I think certain viewers kinda deserved it, but it still sucked.

Also, I hate the moe trend. Granted, it's been around for a long time (you can partly blame Eva, I guess), but the "moe boom" that happened around the same time K-On rose to prominence just consumed the entire medium for a few years and made me lose all interest in anime and manga aside from One Piece.

G Gundam is my favorite Gundam. Sure it's cheesy, but it's so much fun.
Maybe it's because I hang out with a lot of fans who like over-the-top super robot anime like Gurren Lagann and GaoGaiGar, but I've never seen any hatred directed at G Gundam. In fact, I've seen more love for G Gundam than anything else.

Last edited:
In English a cartoon is a cartoon regardless of origin, in Japanese a cartoon is an anime regardless of origin. Pokemon is a cartoon, Spongebob is an anime. Deal with it weebs.
Cory in the House is not an anime, nor is it among my favorite shows.
I prefer English dubs as the voices have more flavor, particularly for male characters.

People think Cory in the House is an anime?! Seriously?! It's a live-action show!

I've seen a lot of people hate on the new Ace Attorney anime because of the art style, the animation, and the stuff from the game they put into the anime, but I honestly like it. Sure, the anime has its flaws, but there's only two episodes out, and I think it's a little hasty to judge the anime based on two episodes alone. I'm gonna watch it anyway, because I love Ace Attorney.

I don't understand why people don't like Sword Art Online. Is it too mainstream? I really don't know I never watch the whole seasons. I could say about the sign saying "trump like to watch S.A.O" but might be too political. But seriously, is it THAT bad?
Getting the hate because of being too 'mainstream' is pretty much true, but SAO is also full of harem, and iirc, a lot of the hate comes from the fact that the main character (I forgot his name) is loved by so many girls at once in a very short span of time, which makes the genre unbalanced. Half the focus is on how all those girls came to fall in love with him, and I've seen opinions that it was distracting enough.

People think Cory in the House is an anime?! Seriously?! It's a live-action show!
I think calling Corey in the House an anime is some weird troll meme in the Pokemon fandom - I forget where it started, but I recall it happening during the hype for BW1. It's the same thing about the people who voted for Shrek to be in Smash 4. Granted, that second one was boosted by the "Shrek is love, Shrek is life" meme, but they're both equally random.

I really, really, really, dislike the original series of the Pokémon anime, especially the Indigo League. One reason being that I hate how that first opening theme is intrinsically linked to the Pokémon franchise and associated with everyone in my age group, though Ash's personal pride and obvious inferiority complex also got on my nerves.

I'm aware that I may be bashing many childhoods here, but I had to get this off my chest. I simply preferred Ash and the anime much more once Gary and later 4Kids were out of the picture.

I really, really, really, dislike the original series of the Pokémon anime, especially the Indigo League. One reason being that I hate how that first opening theme is intrinsically linked to the Pokémon franchise and associated with everyone in my age group, though Ash's personal pride and obvious inferiority complex also got on my nerves.

I'm aware that I may be bashing many childhoods here, but I had to get this off my chest. I simply preferred Ash and the anime much more once Gary and later 4Kids were out of the picture.
I agree, I prefer TPCI due to taking themselves more seriously and that at least we still get most of the older actors back even though they got shorter roles, doesn't mean they are out of the picture. I also prefer them because they're trying to be more like the Japanese and not give us too much Kiddy like goodness.

Getting the hate because of being too 'mainstream' is pretty much true, but SAO is also full of harem, and iirc, a lot of the hate comes from the fact that the main character (I forgot his name) is loved by so many girls at once in a very short span of time, which makes the genre unbalanced. Half the focus is on how all those girls came to fall in love with him, and I've seen opinions that it was distracting enough.
Then most everyone should hate Ranma 1/2 because of that very same thing. Oh dear Primus, either every guy was in love with female Ranma or Akane or every female character wanted to get with male Ranma. It was nuts. And yes, I love Ranma 1/2 dearly--I have very fond memories of it--but the harem aspect was absolutely crazy.

I refuse to watch the dub of Ah! My Goddess. I just can't. It doesn't matter how good it is, it just doesn't hold a candle to the original Japanese. It also doesn't help that the first dub was done by AnimEigo and some of their dubs were..... sketchy at best.

I didn't like Pokemon's first season barring a few episodes. Ash's tournament loss was pure B.S. at least the other losses were fair, even Unova as embarrassing as that was.

Back
Top Bottom