• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Your Unpopular Anime, Manga and J-Pop Opinions

I think calling Corey in the House an anime is some weird troll meme in the Pokemon fandom - I forget where it started, but I recall it happening during the hype for BW1. It's the same thing about the people who voted for Shrek to be in Smash 4. Granted, that second one was boosted by the "Shrek is love, Shrek is life" meme, but they're both equally random.

It's not just the Pokemon fandom that has the Cory in the house thing. It's the general anime fandom lol. There's even an Easter Egg on crunchyroll if you try and find it on there lol

As for where it came from, like all other memes, it was a running joke on 4Chan for yearsss (like 2007/8) that finally crossed over into the mainstream

It's not just the Pokemon fandom that has the Cory in the house thing. It's the general anime fandom lol. There's even an Easter Egg on crunchyroll if you try and find it on there lol

As for where it came from, like all other memes, it was a running joke on 4Chan for yearsss (like 2007/8) that finally crossed over into the mainstream
Just tried it and I didn't seem to get an easter egg

Just tried it and I didn't seem to get an easter egg

easter egg may have been the wrong word for it. if you go to crunchyroll.com/cory-in-the-house it auto-redirects you to the show page for Shiro Bako (which is the show about an anime club trying to make their anime). Perhaps more of a meta joke than an easter egg I dunno.

I actually find Magic Knight Rayearth better than Card Captor Sakura as of right now. Don't get me wrong, I like CCS, but it didn't resonate with me as it did with others, whereas Rayearth is definitely reminding me why I love anime so much.

I don't understand the appeal of sports anime or why they've suddenly gotten so popular in the last couple years.

"Edgy" characters who are cold to everyone and have a dark and troubled past are boring.

I've also grown to abhor the Black Butler fandom at large and am kind of embarrassed to be a former fan.

I've also grown to abhor the Black Butler fandom at large and am kind of embarrassed to be a former fan.

I honestly don't see what's so great about the show or manga anyway. I've only seen one episode, didn't like it, and moved on. But I have friends who absolutely adore it, and that's okay.

I like Yu-Gi-Oh! GX more than the original since the characters occasionally play without anything at stake and the heroes aren't near-invincible like Yami Yugi.

To be fair, Yami Yugi being near invincible was kind of important. Not only was there usually something major like his life or the lives of his friends on the line that prevented him from losing, but being such a powerful duelist was one reason why it was so huge when Yugi defeated him in the Ceremonial Duel. It showed that they were both ready to move onto their own paths and that Yugi had surpassed an extremely powerful duelists. I can understand that the appeal of the heroes in GX not being so invincible. Judai himself loses twice and has a draw in just the first season for example, but I can't really fault Yami Yugi being near invincible when that was kind of important for the story and characters.

I honestly don't see what's so great about the show or manga anyway. I've only seen one episode, didn't like it, and moved on. But I have friends who absolutely adore it, and that's okay.
The manga is miles better than the anime and the way the anime deviates from the manga's storyline and characterization is a big factor in why I soured on it and a good portion of the fanbase.

The manga is miles better than the anime and the way the anime deviates from the manga's storyline and characterization is a big factor in why I soured on it and a good portion of the fanbase.

I used to like the manga when it was more of a down to earth murder mystery. But when the series started getting more supernatural, the main characters became less likable, and the arcs started getting fillery, I stopped being a fan.

I used to like the manga when it was more of a down to earth murder mystery. But when the series started getting more supernatural, the main characters became less likable, and the arcs started getting fillery, I stopped being a fan.
The anime is that times ten, tbh. That and the extremely uncomfortable treatment of Grell both by the anime and a large part of the fanbase is why I stay far away from it these days.

I'll try and ignore the above post... >=O xD

My qualms with modern manga is that the artstyles are so samey! I'm not asking for something hugely radical, but it'd be nice to see a more unusual artstyle with some original characters. You can only see a blonde tsundere with huge blue eyes and pigtails until you finally snap.

(Dragon Ball, not Dragon Ball Z, was amazingly awesome! I prefer it to Z, actually)

Given that I've never seen this anime badly reviewed, this would seem to count as unpopular - I hated Hanasaku Iroha, enough to flat-out stop watching after three episodes. Actually, most of all I hated the grandmother. This anime seems to think that it's ok to treat employees however you like so long as you pay them, and that putting up with a bad boss is a virtue.

That the grandmother has a complete disregard for Ohana's lack of choice in her own situation is bad enough - but what tipped it over the edge for me is that she's not merely absurdly strict but an awful manager, expecting a high standard of work when she doesn't a) Explain what those standards are, much less b) Put in place a clear training structure with a named mentor.

Mean-spirited masquerading as realistic tough love

I've never enjoyed a single Studio Trigger anime I've seen. (Including Gurren Lagann if that counts.)

Watching Tokyo Ghoul makes me feel really queasy. I can deal with blood and gore just fine, but I can't stomach the cannibalism theme. I don't understand how or why this series is popular with teenagers.

As a Christian I found it really uncomfortable to sit through the episode of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood where Edward and Rose debate religion. I was not aware that Edward was an atheist prior to watching the series and it made it really hard for me to keep rooting for him. I did wind up eventually dropping the series, but the actual reason had nothing to do with Ed's beliefs. It was actually the infamous episode with Nina and the dog that did me in. Made me realize that the series was way too sad for me to continue watching.

Speaking of uncomfortable scenes with otherwise likable characters, I tried really hard to enjoy Ouran High School Host Club, but episode 8 (the beach episode) completely changed my opinion of some of the characters. The scene where
Kyouya tries to pressure Haruhi into sleeping with him seemed really OOC for both characters. Especially the part where Haruhi tries to insist to that Kyouya had to be joking, but his facial expression clearly indicated that he wasn't, and the implication was that he might have gone through with it if Tamaki hadn't intervened.
That scene single-handedly ruined the entire series for me.

I hated Hanasaku Iroha, enough to flat-out stop watching after three episodes. Actually, most of all I hated the grandmother. This anime seems to think that it's ok to treat employees however you like so long as you pay them, and that putting up with a bad boss is a virtue.

That the grandmother has a complete disregard for Ohana's lack of choice in her own situation is bad enough - but what tipped it over the edge for me is that she's not merely absurdly strict but an awful manager, expecting a high standard of work when she doesn't a) Explain what those standards are, much less b) Put in place a clear training structure with a named mentor.

Mean-spirited masquerading as realistic tough love

I liked it back when it first came out, but looking back, I agree with your assessment. Plus, I still absolutely hate Minko Tsurugi. Good God, why hasn't someone killed her?! She is an absolute b***h to Ohana and all for absolutely NO reason! She's the reason why I still haven't gotten around to watching the movie. I don't want to deal with more of her.

The original Dragon Ball series is better than Z.

For the record, stop creating more Super Saiyan forms.

In general I don't like most anime and manga with the exception of a few oldies and the works of Osamu Tezuka. Though I will also read video game manga too.

Osamu Tezuka >>> Hayao Miyazaki.

Back
Top Bottom