• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Your Unpopular Anime, Manga and J-Pop Opinions

I know a lot of people like Konosuba, and that's totally cool if you do, but I don't like it much myself. I find it's humor way too mean spirited, and the characters being relentlessly awful to each other just makes it really fatiguing for me.

I didn't find Naruto that bad, but then again, I was exposed to most of the plot through the Ultimate Ninja Storm games, so maybe it works better as a fighting game than a manga or anime? (although I didn't expect the "Giant Space Flea from Nowhere" trope to happen in any of those mediums).

Almost all of my opinions from my original post remain as so, the only real exception being that Gintama somehow grew on me. I think I dislike Fairy Tail even more than before, it's just soooo boring, and I'd add to that list Seven Deadly Sins. It's not even that great and then has that whole Meliodas groping thing that is really disgusting.

My Hero Academia is also pretty meh. It has its moments, but it's not as exciting as people make it out to be.

JJBA Parts 1&2 are better than Part 3. The Monster-of-the-week formula just isn't as effective.

I don't really like the new Lupin series's as much. I'm not saying there's nothing of value in them (and there are some bad aspects from the old ones, most certainly), but they've gone so story driven and moved away from the humorous episodic aspects of the originals.

Digimon Adventure fights are repetitive. Some of the team struggles against a foe that they should be able to defeat. Then new evolution happens they they win alone.

2020 Adventure do not do this.

Vamdemon is terrible and overpowered. There is a dinosaur with missiles in the group. But the writers make him lose to Vamdemon.

JJBA Parts 1&2 are better than Part 3. The Monster-of-the-week formula just isn't as effective.
I think part of the reasons Stardust Crusaders is more popular is due to being the first exposure to the Jojo franchise that most people had pre-2012 thanks to the Capcom fighting game, the OVAs and Jotaro and Dio being playable in the DS Jump fighting games. I guess this is why I was happy J-Stars Victory Vs picked Jonathan and Joseph instead.

- I don't like Jojo. Something about it just turns me off and I just can't get into it
- Sprited Away is a good movie, but it's not the masterpiece everyone claims it is. Kiki's is much better
- I like the art style for Mob Psycho 100. I think it fits the comedic tone of the anime very well
- Todoroki is overrated and Mineta is overhated
- Not about any anime in particular, but I can't stand forced romance in anime where the anime isn't specifically about romance, especially if it's just the male lead x the female lead. If it's written well, it's really good, like Hajime and Chiaki from Danganronpa 2, where it's actually shown that they deeply care for one another and hang out when they're not solving murders, unlike Makoto and Kyoko from Danganronpa 1 where I feel like they just wrote it in at the last second.
- I hate tsunderes. so. fucking. much.
- Not nessecarily an unpopular opinion, but it is with my friends. i actually like chuunibyous.
- I can't really get into Kill La Kill. THe pacing moves super fast and half the time I don't understand what's going on.

• Neon Genesis Evangelion is extremely overrated and at best mediocre. There are far better "deconstructions" of the mecha genre anyways.
  • G Gundam is utter garbage and easily the worst in the entire franchise.
  • I don't get the hype for Studio Trigger. Other than Gridman, I haven't enjoyed anything they've put out.
  • Dragonball >>> Dragonball Z.
  • The "Erased" anime was a really bad adaptation of the source material, read the manga instead.

People seem to either love or hate SAO with some being meh on it, so I'm not sure how unpopular this is because both extremes seem to be seen as popular/unpopular opinions. But I am kinda on both sides. There are times where I love or at least really like it, and then there are other times where it makes me wanna bang my head against the wall... sometimes all in the same episode. The most recent arc has more of the former, but there are still times where I'm just like... why.

• Digimon 02 is overhated. It's not perfect but it has great character moments from both humans and villains. And while I won't deny the Dragomon arc looked cool people get so frustrated over its cancellation like it would solve all of the series' issues instantly, when in reality it would have been an average Rescue Arc for all we know.
  • Digimon Applimonsters is underrated. It's a really fun story with one of the strongest Digimon casts and an epic ending. It deserves more attention than Tri.
  • Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 can't hold a candle to Brotherhood. It's not bad but its final arc is kinda messy and the fights are very short throughout the whole series.
  • I don't like the season format, specially when information about when is the next one coming is very limited and more dependent on the executives saying "Yeah, this seems like the perfect time for a new season" when people have already forgotten about the series. I don't whether I prefer fillers or seasons since the only long-runner I see is Pokemon.

Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 can't hold a candle to Brotherhood. It's not bad but its final arc is kinda messy and the fights are very short throughout the whole series.
IIRC, this was because the anime ended before the manga, so they had to do something. Since I have not watched FMA yet, I don't know how bad/good those changes were.

I don't like the season format, specially when information about when is the next one coming is very limited and more dependent on the executives saying "Yeah, this seems like the perfect time for a new season" when people have already forgotten about the series. I don't whether I prefer fillers or seasons since the only long-runner I see is Pokemon.
As someone that follows One Piece, I can say that the season format might be better. The One Piece fillers had... continuity problems, to put it some way (characters with abilities they didn't have at that point in time, details that contradict the manga and later episodes, Nami killing someone...)

SAO gets too much hate, it's not the worst and certainly not the best LN/anime but I still really enjoy it.

Likewise Fairy Tail also gets it's fair share of too much hate. So it definitely saddens me seeing it get hate (mainly those that haven't watched it or like to hate the fans instead, constructive criticism or it not being someone's cup of tea in a respectful way is understandable ofc) since it's a series that's actually helped me during a hard time a few years back, it has a very special place in my heart still.

More otome games should be adapted into anime. There are a lot of otome games I've played that'd certainly do well, and maybe even be better as, as a anime like Black Wolves Saga, Bad Apple Wars, Star Crossed Myth, Enchanted in the Moonlight, Metro PD: Close to You etc.

Merman in My Tub is very underrated, in fact quite a few anime/manga with monster boys is highly underrated. There should definitely be more anime adaptations with stories revolving around them, it could even be like Monster Musume I just need more monster boys in the medium.

I think I mentioned this before in a similar thread but Katsuki Bakugo from MHA is overrated and is one of my most hated characters in the series. Every time I think he does something cool or even says something close to funny I'm reminded of how much of a terrible jerk he is, I like characters like this usually but I can never warm up to him at all.

To follow the above in a way, Sanemi Shinazugawa from Demon Slayer is a way better character that's similar to Katsuki, he's justified in his personality and the way he acts and it evokes a bit more sympathy.

Fire Force is one of those shounen that's high-key underrated (in terms of story and characters at least), in fact I actually like it more than Soul Eater (though that's still a really good series too).

Gackt is the only J-Pop/Rock singer I can truly listen to all the way through. Nothing against any other artists since there are many that are great but lately unless it's an opening or ending theme, or part of a game I really like, I can't really listen to anyone else's music all the way through in the genre.

Likewise Fairy Tail also gets it's fair share of too much hate. So it definitely saddens me seeing it get hate (mainly those that haven't watched it or like to hate the fans instead, constructive criticism or it not being someone's cup of tea in a respectful way is understandable ofc) since it's a series that's actually helped me during a hard time a few years back, it has a very special place in my heart still.
I don't think FT is good, but it is... enjoyable? It's one of those guilty pleasures. Natsu and Lucy being in a decent fighting game (Sunday vs Magazine) helped.

I think I mentioned this before in a similar thread but Katsuki Bakugo from MHA is overrated and is one of my most hated characters in the series. Every time I think he does something cool or even says something close to funny I'm reminded of how much of a terrible jerk he is, I like characters like this usually but I can never warm up to him at all.
You know there's a problem when you end up hating a character within their first three lines, doesn't help that I still don't know if someone has called him out for that one comment.

Anime has a reputation for being weird (at least in the west), but all the Studio Ghibli films I've seen have been much, much weirder than run-of-the-mill anime. Seriously, what are their writers smoking?

The Evangelion Rebuild films are worse than the original series (+ End of Evangelion) in all aspects except animation. My opinion may change with the release of 3.0+1.0, but it's unlikely. (This isn't an unpopular opinion as much as a highly debated one)

Erased (Boku dake ga inai machi) is only good for the first four or five episodes. After that, it goes downhill.

Anime has a reputation for being weird (at least in the west), but all the Studio Ghibli films I've seen have been much, much weirder than run-of-the-mill anime. Seriously, what are their writers smoking?
i am intrigued
i haven't found many ghibli films super weird (or maybe i'm just desensitized to weird anime at this point), so can you tell me what movies you thought were particularly strange?

The only one I can think that fits that bill is Spirited Away, which is what happens when you make a Japanese version of Alice in Wonderland.

The rest are pretty normal in my opinion.

Also, no, they are not smoking anything (aside from tobacco). Otherwise, they would get fired extremely quickly.

i am intrigued
i haven't found many ghibli films super weird (or maybe i'm just desensitized to weird anime at this point), so can you tell me what movies you thought were particularly strange?
The only one I can think that fits that bill is Spirited Away, which is what happens when you make a Japanese version of Alice in Wonderland.

The rest are pretty normal in my opinion.

Also, no, they are not smoking anything (aside from tobacco). Otherwise, they would get fired extremely quickly.
Probably the weirdest in general are just Pom Poko and My Neighbors the Yamada's. Otherwise they're pretty normal films excluding the usual fantastical elements or supernatural depending on the film. Also to bring to discussion that a lot of Ghibli films (thought not all of them) are based on books regardless of origin, When Marnie Was There, Kiki's Delivery Service, The Secret World of Arrietty (originally just The Borrowers), Howl's Moving Castle, and Tales from Earthsea; I think that;s most of them.

One Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100 is boring to me, the only thing I like about them is the animation.

Durarara is still at the top of my favorite/best anime OST list. That being said the LN is still better.

Yuki Nagato from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is overrated, didn't bother watching/reading the Yuki-chan spinoffs.

Air Gear and Dogs: Bullets & Carnage are two manga series I like that are underrated. Also Dogs: Bullets & Carnage should get a anime adaptation (I have not seen the OVA but I know it relates to the prelude Stray Dogs Howling in the Dark).

Not sure if this one is exactly unpopular or more neutral but I actually liked the FMA 2003 ending more.

Stella Vermillion from Chivalry of a Failed Knight is a tsundere I actually dislike.

PMMM is only mediocre to me.

Back
Top Bottom