• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Your Unpopular Anime, Manga and J-Pop Opinions

HXH isn't the GOAT nor is it top 5 or top 10.I never got the hype behind it,the main cast consists of 3 little boys and an older male.I honestly think Naruto's Chunin Exam arc is better than the Hunter Exam arc and YYH's main cast blows HXH's out the water.

Gohan vs Cell is one of the worst fights in all of Dragon Ball,it's essentially a one sided beatdown with Cell jrs and a SSJ2 transformation sprinkled in,the best part of the whole damn fight was the beam struggle at the end which is a shame.

Goku vs Vegeta (Saiyan Saga) is also overrated but not quite as much as Gohan vs Cell,the fight just hasn't aged well and like the one I just named it relies too much on moments and beam struggles.their second fight is much better.

I could see why most people on here would take original Dragon Ball over Z,it's technically better written with superior story,comedy,adventure and world building.

Z has equal or better training scenes,better music,better movies,better fights and Frieza solos in the villain category no offense to King Piccolo and Mercenary Tao.

For me it comes down to the fights,in the original I cared more about the tournaments than I did the adventures,since Z put an extra emphasis on that I have to give Z the edge here.But you can't go wrong with either one,they're way better than Super/GT.

BNHA is awful.
I've read a the manga, watched the movie, seen a bit of the anime, it is just plain awful.
The plotlines are messed up, people technically only like it for certain characters, the creators didn't feel the need to cover up the females properly and any perverted act was completely unnecessary. There's also this lingering depression in such a bright world, and that really took me off the entire thing.

Got a few hot takes.

1) Never cared for One Piece. I don't like the story, I don't like the characters, I don't like the animation style, and I feel it's terribly overrated. The whole series just feels stupid to me (and that's before factoring in the infamous 4Kids dub).

2) This one's extra spicy: I feel that MHA is overrated and has been in a steady decline for quite some time. The "quirk" gimmick is rather bland, it's a shallow take on more popular superhero series like pre-Disney Marvel, as the series tends to favor powers like smashing and blowing things up over using intelligence and generally less flashy but very practical abilities (like most shonens, unfortunately), completely shafting a huge chunk of the cast in favor of the "power trio". A number of the characters are poorly written (especially certain ones) and the fact the series is in endgame mode yet the cast are still first-year students. That's like having Harry Potter offed Voldamort permanently in the first book, and prevents any of the cast outside of the "power trio" from getting any meaningful development or much-needed screentime. Overall, I feel MHA is a hot mess that is an insult to actual good superhero/superpower series.

3) In contrast, I feel that Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun is vastly underrated and heavily slept on, as well as being a superior version to MHA in a number of aspects. The story is fun and colorful, with some well-timed humor and seasoned to taste with seriousness. ALL the characters, not just the "power trio" get plenty of screentime, development, and characterization, especially compared to MHA. The Misfit Class is superior to MHA Class 1-A because the writer takes great pains to flesh all of them out, as evident by the Royal One Arc, the Harvest Festival Arc, and the Music Festival Arc, making each member of the Misfit Class feel like an actual characters with actual talents/abilities. The writer did an excellent job at making the entire cast feel fresh and alive, even ones with less-savory traits like Caimu (who is a much better written Minetta with actually useful abilities) feel genuinely likeable and part of the cast as a whole. The teachers are also well-developed and have unique personalities, quirks, and teaching proficiencies, so it's not just one teacher running the show. The school aspect is handled better, too, as at the current point in the story the Misfit Class are now second-year students yet their adventures continue in earnest fashion and they continue to grow and develop. Also, any romances between characters are handled naturally, realistically, and beautifully, such as Iruma and Ameri. Overall, Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun is a heavily underrated and outstrips MHA in several fields.

That should do for now, especially since I'm quite tired from today's events. Might add more spicy takes another time.

To continue along with the trend, I'm not especially a fan of One Piece either. Though part of it is the episode/chapter count in addition to what others have said.

I also don't really like My Hero Academia either, since Izuku falls under a lot of "the main character is even more special than other special characters" and I feel like his story is accidentally ableist due to Quirklessness being seen as a disability but they don't have any Quirkless Heroes and Izuku is given the strongest Quirk of them all. I would love a story of someone trying to be a hero in a world where everyone but them has powers but considering how My Hero has been going, I'm expecting Izuku to gain his own Quirk separate from what One for All gives him. Also, I feel the story glosses over the negative consequences of superpowers in both a setting and for the individual (it astonishes me that the invisible girl was never taught to be able to turn visible again), especially when Heroes are involved.

F*** Oshi no Ko, I would probably be into it if it wasn't a reincarnation story or if the guy wasn't perfect at everything as I've read. I was legitimately more creeped out by the description rather than interested when I first read it due to the reincarnation plot. I also have a strong idea of what the twist is that the series is built around without even watching anything or seeing hints since it seems pretty obvious. The babies with the lights scene though, is hilarious I'll give it that.

I'm becoming really tired of trends in anime and stuff that plays follow the leader after one thing becomes really big.

While it depends on the show, I really do not like the trend that most romance shows go in anime, especially the popular ones like Love is War or stuff like harem anime. I have been watching a romance show this season (Loving Yamada at Lv999), but that's because I actually really like it compared to how others in the genre have been handling it. I still hate that shows like these get multiple seasons while other romance anime that haven't even shown the full relationship like Kimi ni Todoke barely get anything.

- 4Kids did an overall better job with the dub's script writing & adaptation for Pokémon's English dub than TPCi (especially considering they had multiple writers for the Series and TPCi LITERALLY only kept JCC onboard when TAJ took back over in late 2006 who had already been working on the dub's script writing since Season 5 under 4Kids in 2003-- TPCi only used JCC from BF all the way through JN's dub, and this ended up for the most part being the perfect example of what happens when you give one man too much power as opposed to distributing it among various writers).

(It is popular to prefer the 4Kids dub overall over the TPCi dub nowadays for Pokemon, but this is not necessarily a popular opinion listed above depending on which site you are on)

When the change originally happened, as a boy I was one of those who slammed the current dub hard for being inferior in terms of writing when MoMP debuted (e.g. Misty's "Hold the phone," May's "Sometimes I can do the right thing," Ash's "Knock his block off," etc.): though JCC has had his moments (the last dub ep is his best work since...BW there, 12 years ago?), I still stand by this point overall when examining things holistically.

That said, I wish Paul Taylor had been the chief writer they had stuck with as he seemed the most adverse to making script changes and sticking to the original intent, the Movies had the most faithful dub scripts from Movie 3 onward in the original English dub aside from the first 15 Kanto episodes & the late Johto-AG episodes' writing under 4Kids-- and he was a principal player in the former case, with Kathy Pilon the latter.

Ash spoke much more like a normal boy would at his age and was fleshed out in subtle ways that completely avoided the "trying to be hip/cool" stereotypes as well as never saying "I got me," "Stoked," "Totally wiped," etc. etc., Team Rocket generally just spoke without every other line being some kind of wordplay or rhyme (Meowth, in particular, I feel was treated better the most as they would keep his "Nya" verbal tic as "Meowth" early on & never, ever had him say "Dig it/Dig it, jack," "lugs," etc.), etc. May spoke much more like a normal girl her age would, and Max did as well, IIRC.

- Dragonball as a Series went downhill after the Frieza Saga, after hitting its highest point & peaking in that Arc. It has ebbed and flowed since then, with Granolah and Goku Black being the best of the modern Era but still lagging well behind the best of the Series which I felt was King Piccolo through Frieza overall.

- Yu-Gi-Oh went downhill not after the first Series, but after 5D's.

- Detective Conan has gone on for far too long, and should've ended much earlier.

- Boruto is more interesting than Naruto.

- Most of the Series Crunchyroll dubs nowadays are pretty unmemorable and forgettable fanservice shows to me, nothing stands out.

Last edited:
I'm a huge shipper, but the canon Naruto ships (NH, SS) suck, as well as the rival ships (SNS, NS, SK).

The Pokémon dub is currently one of the worst dubs out there in 2023, but ironically, began as one of the best dubs in 1998 in terms of made for TV Anime for Anime targeted at children (its other competitors were Saban's Digimon, FUNimation's Z/Dragonball, DiC/Cloverway's Sailor Moon, etc. and it ran circles around all of them as well as in 4Kids' case, literally every other Anime they got their hands on was worse than their work on Pokemon really overall- the Uncut releases of YGO & SK never came to fruition overall, otherwise those might have been contenders).

Dragonball GT's Goku is a superior character to Dragonball Super's Goku: despite being regressed to a child, he acts oddly more mature and less stupid in the former Series.

Dragonball GT has a better opening than Dragonball Super, despite Super being the superior Series save Goku overall.

Sumitomo is the worst Japanese BGM composer for the Dragonball Series, by far.

Yamamoto was always worse than Kikuchi, and one of the few assets I feel the otherwise much disliked Orange Bricks FUNi Redub of Z they did in 2007 in English over Kai (if not the only one) was having Kikuchi's OST over all 291 episodes instead of Yamamoto (once it was found out the latter plagiarized, replaced with Shunsuke's stuff though).

Fairy Tail is a pretty generic show, never got the hype for it.

DP Ash, while more of a character with a personality than XY Ash, was Ash's most overrated incarnation in the classic Era of the Series to me.

Last edited:
When I really REALLY like an anime, I actually often don’t want them to get another season, as I like them to feel concluded as they are. I don’t know how much of this is a me thing since I’m super jaded, but I get more apprehensive than excited if I feel an anime has ended on a satisfying note and suddenly there’s more… Always worried there’s a potential it won’t live up to what it was or worse, tarnish it.

Seems this one isn't all that unpopular but BNHA isn't even an original concept. Not saying the author was imitating anything, but just in general I could name you at least ten other animes that center around What If School: But SUPERPOWERS!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom