• Another exciting episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here.
  • Grookey, Scorbunny or Sobble, which one do you love most? Want to show your support with a cool banner, check out the info here!

Your Unpopular Book/Literature Opinions

Darkmaster006

Reaction score
1. I loved BNHA when it first came out. Now I hate it. Season 1 was pretty fun, Deku was a good, wholesome lead character. And all the characters were so fun. Season 2 had pretty good fight scenes and Stain. But right now, it has turned so boring and kinda annoying? I hate how everyone is now inspired by Deku aaaaall the time? And they do nothing more than marvel at him or something? I think Bakugo and Deku get TOO much character development (that isn't even done well, tbh) while the others (maybe minus Todoroki a bit) get litte to no character development or anything. Let's not even talk about the girls, because they get zero character development and I hate that because they could be such good charas but are always shadowed by the guys. ALso, Mineta gets TOO much screentime that could be used for GOOD stuff. Ugh. Dropping it tbh, not gonna watch S4.

Aulos

Winds <3
Reaction score
Here's one, a very general one: I actually don't like really reading fictional books, I'd rather watch stories than merely read them. When it comes to non-fiction, I have no problem reading if I'm interested, but I just have no interest in books otherwise. At least not right now.

Tactician Karina

mains Joker's Crow alt
Reaction score
Yuki Nagato from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya light novels is very overrated. She just follows the same character archetype as Rei Ayanami from Evangelion, and she didn't deserve her own spinoff manga about the alternate universe in the Disappearance novel. Though at least she's more tolerable than Mikuru Asahina.

Sword Art Online light novels are better than the anime, though I still really love both anyway.

When reading Shakespeare plays, I don't find the early modern English hard or annoying to read and I don't think it should be changed to make it more "readable".

lordfridge

Good Hunter
Reaction score
Black Butler is garbage.

Not only is the whole series centered around the ship-tension between a centuries old demon of seduction and a FOURTEEN YEAR OLD BOY who was a victim of child abuse (and there are plenty of vastly inappropriate innuendo-jokes about said 'ship')... it also has a trans character who is played off as a predator and someone who murders cis women because she's 'jealous'. All while the entire cast refers to her as a man.

When I was a teen, I loved this series. Now I have base-level critical thinking skills, I can see it for what it really is.

Juliko

The #1 Deerling Fan!
Reaction score
The novelization of 2001: A Space Odyssey, I feel, is MUCH better than the movie. Not only does it explain the entire movie and everything that happened in it better than the movie itself did, there's much less filler and pointless padding.

The Tales of Zestiria manga is really good as well. It compresses the game a LOT, but it also cuts out a lot of the more annoying parts of the game (like the trials) and is more to the point.

Tactician Karina

mains Joker's Crow alt
Reaction score
While I like the games as well, I think the Alice in the Country of manga adaptations are slightly better. Mainly cause they flesh out a bit more of the story and characters, and they give even minor characters (but still love interests) from the games more background and character development in their own manga (like the My Fanatic Rabbit manga for Elliot March, for example) when interacting with Alice.

I guess this is considered unpopular now in some forums and subreddits, but I still like the Black Butler manga so much. My only real problem with it (and it's not even cause of the manga directly) is all the shipping arguments in some discussions about it. Otherwise it is still a beloved series to me with characters I really like (Ciel Phantomhive and the Perfect Four from the Public School arc).

Black Clover is a great manga and I still like it more than MHA.

Snow White with the Red Hair is currently my favorite shojo manga running right now. Surprisingly I like it even more than Sailor Moon! (which used to be my top favorite shojo series)

I actually liked the manga side story of FE Binding Blade, Fire Emblem: The Champion's Sword. I didn't even mind when the story became a AU kind of retelling. Also, I would love for them to appear in a game (no I don't mean the items referencing them, I want actual characters), though I'm happy some characters did make it into the FE Cipher TCG.

prog rocker

Reaction score
I actually liked the manga side story of FE Binding Blade, Fire Emblem: The Champion's Sword. I didn't even mind when the story became a AU kind of retelling. Also, I would love for them to appear in a game (no I don't mean the items referencing them, I want actual characters), though I'm happy some characters did make it into the FE Cipher TCG.
Not sure if they can use those characters, specially since it's possible that the characters' rights are the property of whoever wrote the manga. After the mess that happened with the Sonic comics, I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

Juliko

The #1 Deerling Fan!
Reaction score
Snow White with the Red Hair is currently my favorite shojo manga running right now. Surprisingly I like it even more than Sailor Moon! (which used to be my top favorite shojo series)
Saaaaaame. The anime version is a delight, too! I can't wait for the manga to be released now that Viz has the license to it! Which reminds me, I ought to finish watching the English dub!

Tactician Karina

mains Joker's Crow alt
Reaction score
Not sure if they can use those characters, specially since it's possible that the characters' rights are the property of whoever wrote the manga. After the mess that happened with the Sonic comics, I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.
I mean seeing as IS put some manga only characters in the Cipher TCG, they clearly remember them plus the references in the game about them. I think it's cause it's more along the line of worrying about messing up the Elibe story with how the manga went with a slight AU route. I can see them making Al and co. a DLC type for an Echoes style Binding Blade remake (seeing as they add in Cipher original characters into SoV, I'm sure they can do similar with manga characters).