• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your unpopular music/film/tv opinons

Status
Not open for further replies.
The original Star Wars trilogy was a bag of clichés when it was new, overall not that much different in tone, acting, special effects quality (Relative to technology available) or plot cleverness to the Prequel Trilogy

That's right, internet, come and get me

You know, I kind of have to agree with this xD I mean I don't really see any difference in tone, direction or characters aside from you know...different times and stuff like that. I think people were just less critical back then and then nostalgia came into th epicture.

You have to think about the context of the times. It's not that audiences in 1977 were any "less critical" than they are now, more that big-budget, special effects-driven blockbusters were only just beginning to take off at the time (coming off of the New Hollywood era, which was all about smaller, more personal films). Star Wars was genuinely very ground-breaking in that regard, and its success (for better or worse) helped to usher in a new era for Hollywood, one dominated by spectacle-driven action flicks.

I stated in a previous topic that i thought the Tranformers films were far from perfect, but aren't nearly as bad as most people put them.

Probably my most unpopular opinion is on the Percy Jackson movies- i think they're both good, with the Sea of Monsters film being better than The Lightning Thief film. I don't see why it's this film series that gets all the hate of not being like the book when every other adaptation does that already. I can understand disliking the film, but i can't stand it when people hate on these movies just because they aren't like the book. They're two different media forms, there's going to be changes. And for putting them on the big screen, I thought Percy Jackson did a good job. Is it the best YA adaptation? No. but it's definitely one of the better ones out there. Are they the most faithful adaptations? Definitely not, but for what they are, they are decent flicks IMO.

The Starving Games, while still a bad parody flick, has some merit to it and is good for a couple laughs.

Glee is just a terrible, awful show.

Modern Family is highly overrated. The jokes can be funny, but the characters are just terrible.

I find Big Bang Theory and Two and A Half Men to be, frankly intolerable (forced, unfunny, disgusting, uncomfortable to go on). Unfortunately, the entirety of my family seems to love both and so I see it almost every day ;__; I leave them to it and I usually go read . . .

The band Garbage, despite the name, is anything but. <3 Shirley Manson<3

Soo many, but I'll start with one -

Star Trek - I love TOS, TNG & Enterprise but I can't stand DS9 or Voyager

I stated in a previous topic that i thought the Transformers films were far from perfect, but aren't nearly as bad as most people put them.
This.

I enjoy the live action TF movies. A lot. No, they aren't perfect but they're enjoyable.

Other opinions:

-Tim Burton is overrated as a director and gets far more credit than he deserves.
-The third season of Transformers Generation One is vastly overrated and the weakest in the entire series. It doesn't help that I find Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime just as overrated and he seems to be a constant focus in the later part of G1.
-Transformers: Cybertron is the best series out of the Unicron trilogy.
-Transformers: Robots In Disguise (2001) isn't as bad as the fandom claims.
-I love Star Trek: Voyager and utterly adore Neelix.
-My favorite character from Beast Machines is the one everyone else hates: Nightscream.
-Imagine Dragons is a good band but not great. Their sound also does not fit with the live action TF films, so the choice of making Battle Cry the official song of Age of Extinction was exceptionally poor in my opinion.
-Dean Koontz isn't as bad an author as a lot of people like to think.
-Disney's Beauty and the Beast was only average and didn't deserve the accolades it got.
-My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is only okay.
-I prefer Bumblebee as a Camaro and not a VW. Come and get me, internet!

Anyone over the intended audience age of My Little Pony could probably do with being banned from TV.
Bee Gees are probably the greatest Australian band.
Asian pop is just as bad as Western pop.
Free improv/European free jazz is unlistenable 99% of the time.
Robert De Niro is the greatest living actor, even considering post-Jackie Brown films.
A Bug's Life is one of Pixar's greatest films, top 5 certainly.
Up was good, Brave was decidedly average. Wall E was fantastic.
Pixar > Disney all the way. Can't stand campy, musical cartoons.
Ice Age is Dreamworks crowning achievement.
Frasier > Cheers

I stated in a previous topic that i thought the Tranformers films were far from perfect, but aren't nearly as bad as most people put them.
most of them I enjoyed, but the portrayal of women in the most recent one was... Awful and degrading. So many opportunities for strong female characters, and all we got was a teenager screaming under tables.
Probably my most unpopular opinion is on the Percy Jackson movies- i think they're both good, with the Sea of Monsters film being better than The Lightning Thief film. I don't see why it's this film series that gets all the hate of not being like the book when every other adaptation does that already. I can understand disliking the film, but i can't stand it when people hate on these movies just because they aren't like the book. They're two different media forms, there's going to be changes. And for putting them on the big screen, I thought Percy Jackson did a good job. Is it the best YA adaptation? No. but it's definitely one of the better ones out there. Are they the most faithful adaptations? Definitely not, but for what they are, they are decent flicks IMO.
agreed. Good films on their own, but only loosely based on the books.
As for my opinions...
Classical/film music is so much better than pop.
The Beatles are no better than 1d.
Old comedies are better than new ones. Back in the times of red dwarf and Blackadder, a show could be funny without being cringey or explicit. Also, British comedies are better than American ones, as a general rule.
The midnight beast are genius.
The pachelbel canon is one of the worst string pieces ever written.
You can't compare the Beatles to the Rolling Stones. Not because one is infinitely better, but because they are so different, it's like comparing maroon 5 and oasis.
Same goes for Rowling and Riordan.
peter capaldi did not ruin dr who. Stephen Moffat ruined doctor who.
Elementary is better than Sherlock.
Spielberg is not the best by a long way.
The avengers is not overhyped. It is also better than GotG. Partially because of scenes like this V
[video=youtube_share;1ixEHDWqrzI]http://youtu.be/1ixEHDWqrzI[/video]

I have a couple.

• I have never been able to understand why One Direction got so big, they're really not all that great. The Wanted were ten times better.
  • I can't stand Once Upon a Time. It is a cheap rip off of fairy tales and I don't understand how anyone how anyone can watch it.
  • I don't see what is so great about Ariana Grande. Sure, she is a good singer and I will admit that but I can name about ten other singers who are ten times better but never got the recognition they deserve.
  • Part of me wants to watch Game of Thornes after hearing the way my siater talks about it. But part of me doesn't want to either because I got so creeped out in the season finale of PLL in August that I probably would not be able to handle anything on that show.
  • I hate Family Guy. It's awful and some of the jokes on that show are disgusting and very offensive.

• I used to love Ariana Grande but after her relationship with Nathan Sykes whom I love, I've kind of lost respect for her. It pisses me off, how she treated him.
  • Glee is such a horrible TV show and I can't understand why some people like it.
  • Once Upon a Time is such a horrible TV show. It is honestly a rip off of fairy tales and that pisses me off. Ughh, it's seriously horrible.
  • I hate TV shows like Family Guy, South Park, etc. They are disgusting and I can never understand why people like those types of shows, they're the worst.
  • I have nothing against One Direction but there is nothing spectacular about them. Sure they can sing but Big Time Rush and The Wanted are ten times better, if you ask me.
  • I still hate Justin Bieber with every fiber of my being, especially after everything he's done this past year.

Monty Python in general & Fawlty Towers in particular are overrated

Ice Age is Dreamworks crowning achievement.

Ice Age was made by Blue Sky studios, a subsidiary of 20th Century FOX

speaking of animated films, I think Kung Fu Panda 2 is noticeably worse than the first one.

The Final Countdown 2000 wasn't as bad as people think. It's okay in my opinion.

I'm not that big a fan of Korra, since I just got my DVR and am now out of order for the series.

I dislike the Hunger Games because it is a shameless rip of Battle Royale and I am not a fan of The Walking Dead.

Ron Howard's How the Grinch Stole Christmas is underrated. It's not a bad movie, and Jim Carrey did a great job.

I hate the Hunger Games and I think Attack on Titan is the second worst anime ever.

Here are mine:
- Kurt Cobain wasn't talented.
- The Rolling Stones aren't that great. Mick Jagger sucks.
- I prefer the new Miley Cyrus over the old one.
- The Simpsons is still good. (I like many of the recent episodes.)
- The SpongeBob episode "House Fancy" was funny.
- Family Guy should have remained cancelled.
- The Harry Potter movies were nowhere near as good as the books.
- Game of Thrones is ruining fantasy.
- Jaws is NOT SCARY. (Probably a case of Science Marches On since we know more about sharks nowadays than 40 years ago.)
- Sonic Sat AM was lame. (Though it wasn't anywhere near as bad as Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog.)
- Hetalia isn't that funny. (I don't hate it as much as a lot of other overrated anime, but I just think it's kinda stupid.)
- While I think the Twilight movies are stupid, I've seen plenty of films that were much worse. And I can name at least ten books that are worse than the Twilight books.
- Death Note is one of the worst anime ever.
- James Blunt isn't that bad of a singer.
- Ariana Grande's voice is like nails on a chalkboard.
- I tend to prefer older anime to newer anime.
- The Big Bang Theory is stupid. I'd actually rather watch Twilight than that.
- Adventure Time is good, but it's far from the best show ever.

@IS1296 I actually liked that movei.

@eryyy My problem with Once Upon a Time is that they're just trying to imitate Disney. The fact that they put Elsa from Frozen on the show just takes the cake. (They could have at least used the Snow Queen from the original story.) What's wrong with using fairy tales that Disney hasn't made movies out of?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom