• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your unpopular music/film/tv opinons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Thought it'd be fun for us to share the opinions we hold that aren't necessarily popular.

• Inglorius Basterds wasn't particularity great.
  • Nirvana were mediocre
  • Frasier should have ended with season 7

- Random Access Memories was a great album and deserved a lot of the praise it got.
- Prince is way better than Michael Jackson both as a singer and song writer.
- Imagine by John Lennon is a really boring song and I have never liked it.
- AC/DC is also pretty boring and I think they are very overrated.
- Kanye West is an incredibly talented producer and rapper (although I do agree that he is a jerk as a person).
- I do like a lot of pop music, yes I know its manufactured as hell and is "not real music" according to most people, but its kind of like fast food, once in a while its really good but if you eat too much then you feel awful.
- A lot of Classic Rock has not aged very well and does not really hold up today.
- Insane Clown Posse is not really that bad musically (although I still don't really like them outside of two songs but they are not as bad as most people say, they are just kind of average honestly, not awful but not great).

You can judge me all you want.

• The 80s was not a very good time for music
  • I like the cartoons I watch today just as much (if not more) than the ones I watched back in the 90s as a kid
  • I enjoy all My Little Pony generations.
  • I think Classical music is just as full of excitement as any kind of Pop/Rock is, and have never understood why it is called "relaxing".
  • In general the more electronic/less natural music and the instruments used are, the less I will enjoy it (wind instruments are, of course, my favorite, and with that said: Synth brass is an abomination).

• Frasier should have ended with season 7

Wait, that's an unpopular opinion? I was under the impression that it was a fairly common sentiment.

Here are a few off the top of my head:

Tim Burton's Batman films are better than Nolan's (I like some of Nolan's other stuff, but his take on Batman always left me rather cold).

Homer is my least favourite member of the Simpson household (and in my opinion one of the show's less endearing characters overall). On the flip side, I love Lisa and Marge, two characters whom I frequently see drubbed by internet fans.

Frozen is a good film, but it didn't exactly blow me away - honestly, I think that people just overreacted with their praise because Disney finally managed to be a bit progressive with their formula...something which they frankly should have done twenty years ago.

Don Bluth was never a great film-maker, even in the 80s when he was able to present himself as a serious contender to Disney, and for the life of me I'll never see eye-to-eye with people who think that his films were somehow more "edgy" or "adult" than anything Disney have done. That's not to say that I think everything he's done is totally without merit, just that to me even his better films play like a poor man's Disney (I might like The Secret of NIMH more if I hadn't already read the book - which is infinitely better - three times before seeing the film).

Singin' In The Rain is one of my least favourite films of all time. Unfortunately, it's so well-loved by just about everyone else that I have managed to offend quite a few people with this particular unpopular opinion, so I won't go into the details here.

Last edited:
  • Staff
@garrison-san; I find that people usually say that it was still fine for a season or two after, but I think for the good of the show it should have ended with season 7 - no matter how odd it'd be for Frasier to end without the titular character in the final scene.

Frozen is a good film, but it didn't exactly blow me away - honestly, I think that people just overreacted with their praise because Disney finally managed to be a bit progressive with their formula...something which they frankly should have done twenty years ago.

*Couldn't agree more. I watched Frozen and while I do enjoy the film, I think it's a bit overrated.

The Dark Knight was hailed as the greatest Batman film ever made when it came out in 2008. It was a fun movie but I still prefer the Tim Burton films and Batman Begins over The Dark Knight.

M*A*S*H was a good TV show but didn't appeal to me much.

I never cared for the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. I watch them and thought they were good, but not something I would want to watch over and over again.

People are going to hate me for this one but the Harry Potter films and books never really interest me. I understand why they are popular and loved but I just couldn't get into them.

-Friends was mediocre
-Stephen King, although a good writer is far from great in comparison to lesser known horror writers
-Nivana, Linkin' Park, Slipknot and the majority of Kerrang channel bands are terrible
-The Rolling Stones should NOT be compared to the Beatles
-Blur is better than Oasis
-SNL is better now than it was in the early days. The comedians then weren't funny at all.
-The Godfather is boring
-British 'comedies' like Absolutely Fabulous, The Vicar of Dibley and Catherine Tate are all terrible and don't deserve the credit they get/got. Nice women but cringey bad imo.
-Quentin Tarantino lost his flare for writing after Kill Bill. Everything after that has been ok at best.
-British are generally better at producing good music than America and definitely better than America when it comes to sitcoms. America beat us with animated shows though, making them the funnier by a slight margin.
-Call of Duty is an awful, mindnumbing game.

These views are my own and aren't meant to offend anyone who disagrees :)

- The Beatles are kind of bleh. I like some of their music, but I find them really meh for the most part.
- I like rap and country, particularly the old school stuff, but I like some of the new stuff, too.
- The Big Bang Theory is shit, but I find a lot of Chuck Lorre's stuff to be not all that good anyways, so I guess it's a given.
- I also hate How I Met Your Mother. That show is just crap yet it lasted for a long time.
- I didn't think Citizen Kane was that great of a movie and to be hailed as one of the best movies ever made is pushing it.
- There are some movies I found to be superior to their book counterparts. The Shining is a good example. The book just dragged on for an eternity and failed to scare me, but the movie was scary and to the point.
- Don Bluth never appealed to me that much. I found his art style to be a little odd and it felt like everything was rehashed for all his movies. His characters always had that creepy, crooked smile that is synonymous with his style.
- Scarface was not one of Pacino's best movies. It wasn't bad, but I didn't care for it.
- I found a good 98% of the cartoons made by Hanna Barbera to be really, REALLY bad. I'm mostly talking about stuff like Yogi Bear, Quick Draw, The Flinstones, The Jetsons, and anything else resembling these shows. They weren't funny nor well animated. I think the only cartoons of HB I liked were Tom and Jerry and their Timeless Tales shorts made in the early 90s.

Opinions are lovely things. If you don't agree, that's okay! The world would be a boring place if we all liked the same things.

Last edited:
The Wire > Breaking Bad.

As for music, I wouldn't care if all current "artists" were replaced with DJ's and there was nothing for us to listen to except EDM. I know, a little extreme.

Not every movie about tragedy or sickness deserves an Oscar.

I freaking love the Sonic X English dub's theme song and there is nothing you can do about it.

GOTTA GO FAST
GOTTA GO FASTER
GOTTA GO FASTER FASTER FASTERFASTERFASTER

-Friends was mediocre Agreed. Middle of the road rubbish.
-Stephen King, although a good writer is far from great in comparison to lesser known horror writers he is a good writer but nothing to lose your shit over.
-Nivana, Linkin' Park, Slipknot and the majority of Kerrang channel bands are terrible aye.
-The Rolling Stones should NOT be compared to the Beatles The Beatles are better in every way, but The Stones are also pretty great.
-Blur is better than Oasis Disagree with this one, Morning Glory is a masterpiece IMO.
-SNL is better now than it was in the early days. The comedians then weren't funny at all. Really couldn't comment.
-The Godfather is boring its long winded and slow at times, but I think the pay off is worth it.
-British 'comedies' like Absolutely Fabulous, The Vicar of Dibley and Catherine Tate are all terrible and don't deserve the credit they get/got. Nice women but cringey bad imo.Yeah. Too camp for me.
-Quentin Tarantino lost his flare for writing after Kill Bill. Everything after that has been ok at best. sort of agree, his 90s work is obviously superior to his 2000s, but it's not a sharp decline.
-British are generally better at producing good music than America and definitely better than America when it comes to sitcoms. America beat us with animated shows though, making them the funnier by a slight margin.Both regions have given us so much fantastic music that I don't think it matters if one is just a touch more superior.
-Call of Duty is an awful, mindnumbing game. Yep.

- The Beatles are kind of bleh. I like some of their music, but I find them really meh for the most part.They have a lot of rubbish, but a lot of their music is utterly fantastic. Gotta take the sweet with the sour.
- I like rap and country, particularly the old school stuff, but I like some of the new stuff, too. lots of great music in every genre, and lots of rubbish.
- The Big Bang Theory is shit, but I find a lot of Chuck Lorre's stuff to be not all that good anyways, so I guess it's a given. agree, he hasn't really done anything great
- I also hate How I Met Your Mother. That show is just crap yet it lasted for a long time. i couldn't get into it, just seemed very generic clone of the Freinds formula.
- I didn't think Citizen Kane was that great of a movie and to be hailed as one of the best movies ever made is pushing it. disgaree, it's hugely influential in its technical form, from the camera work to story telling. Really is a great film.
- There are some movies I found to be superior to their book counterparts. The Shining is a good example. The book just dragged on for an eternity and failed to scare me, but the movie was scary and to the point. i didn't like that film. Thought it was a bit rubbish.
- Don Bluth never appealed to me that much. I found his art style to be a little odd and it felt like everything was rehashed for all his movies. His characters always had that creepy, crooked smile that is synonymous with his style. no comment
- Scarface was not one of Pacino's best movies. It wasn't bad, but I didn't care for it.same. Some great scenes, but altogether not really worth the effort.
- I found a good 98% of the cartoons made by Hanna Barbera to be really, REALLY bad. I'm mostly talking about stuff like Yogi Bear, Quick Draw, The Flinstones, The Jetsons, and anything else resembling these shows. They weren't funny nor well animated. I think the only cartoons of HB I liked were Tom and Jerry and their Timeless Tales shorts made in the early 90s.im not a huge fan either.

Opinions are lovely things. If you don't agree, that's okay! The world would be a boring place if we all liked the same things.

The Wire > Breaking Bad. if I could get into The Wire, I'd probably agree.

As for music, I wouldn't care if all current "artists" were replaced with DJ's and there was nothing for us to listen to except EDM. I know, a little extreme. some would say we already only have top 40 dance :p if it was up to me, it'd all be ambient techno and avant garde jazz.

Not every movie about tragedy or sickness deserves an Oscar.the problem really is that there's too much obvious Oscar bait.

-Friends was mediocre - OH HELL NO YOU TAKE THAT BACK!
-Stephen King, although a good writer is far from great in comparison to lesser known horror writers
-Nivana, Linkin' Park, Slipknot and the majority of Kerrang channel bands are terrible - Kurt Cobain was a once in a generation talent (and Dave Grohl is quite the musical genius as well). The rest are bad though
-The Rolling Stones should NOT be compared to the Beatles - As someone who likes the Stones better than the Beatles, let me counter. The Stones do their one thing better than the Beatles do any one thing. The Beatles have much more flexibility and range, but the Stones do their one thing better.
-Blur is better than Oasis
-SNL is better now than it was in the early days. The comedians then weren't funny at all. - Comedy grows and evolves. That being said, new SNL is awful.
-The Godfather is boring - I mean one and two are only two of the five best movies of all time XD Three is an abomination though.
-British 'comedies' like Absolutely Fabulous, The Vicar of Dibley and Catherine Tate are all terrible and don't deserve the credit they get/got. Nice women but cringey bad imo.
-Quentin Tarantino lost his flare for writing after Kill Bill. Everything after that has been ok at best.
-British are generally better at producing good music than America and definitely better than America when it comes to sitcoms. America beat us with animated shows though, making them the funnier by a slight margin.
-Call of Duty is an awful, mindnumbing game. - lol so true

I AM OFFENDED BY YOUR OPINIONS!

Hmmm I'd have to mull over mine (mostly because I have such good taste in all things) but I think I can take a crack at this:

- I called Kurt Cobain a once in a generation talent above. But I still like the Foo Fighters (Dave Grohl's band after Nirvana) better than Nirvana themselves.

- I have an affection for 80s hair metal. The Scorpions, Whitesnake etc... they rocked!

- John Stewart will always be Green Lantern to me. I thought this was a more popular opinion but it appears that DC is moving with having Hal Jordan be Green Lantern for the foreseeable future.

- On the note from above, my favorite Superman is from the Justice League cartoon, my favorite Wonder Woman is from the same and I think Martian Manhunter is a massively underrated character.

- Superman is one of my least favorite superheroes. Batman is simply more interesting in every way. And in terms of the 'super-super heroes' (as in having the nearly infinite power suite), Martian Manhunter, Captain Marvel and Thor (and I'm just scratching the surface here) are much more interesting characters.

- My favorite Star Wars related properties are not the original trilogy but some of the EU properties (KOTOR, SWTOR and the Thrawn trilogy especially)

Personally, I think that calling Friends "mediocre" would be giving it the benefit of the doubt. I did used to like the first two or three seasons (when I was twelve) but I find it utterly unwatchable now. :p

I mean there's maybe a handful of funny moments but on he whole it's extremely overrated. I used to watch it before I got Sky in my room and only had 5 channels :b

-Tusk>Rumours. Fight me
- In general I vastly prefer modern animated shows to those from the 90's. The cartoons from my childhood really aren't as edgy or out there as people make them out to be.

Tim Burton's Batman films are better than Nolan's (I like some of Nolan's other stuff, but his take on Batman always left me rather cold).
- Absolutely, though 60's TV Batman has got to be my favourite incarnation by far.
-ASOIAF/Game of Thrones are good series, but I cannot stand the way people use the tone and tropes associated with them as standards to which fantasy must conform to gain mainstream acceptance.

I feel like a lot of the stupid trappings that metal bands succumb to (doing things on the lower strings that would sound better on the higher strings, playing so fast that it's unintelligible, throwing around pentagrams and inverted crosses in a stupid attempt at being "edgy" for no good reason, EMG pick-ups) can be traced back to Slayer.

The original Star Wars trilogy was a bag of clichés when it was new, overall not that much different in tone, acting, special effects quality (Relative to technology available) or plot cleverness to the Prequel Trilogy

That's right, internet, come and get me

The Beatles are terrible
Fall Out Boy are worse than Blood on the Dance Floor

The original Star Wars trilogy was a bag of clichés when it was new, overall not that much different in tone, acting, special effects quality (Relative to technology available) or plot cleverness to the Prequel Trilogy

That's right, internet, come and get me

You know, I kind of have to agree with this xD I mean I don't really see any difference in tone, direction or characters aside from you know...different times and stuff like that. I think people were just less critical back then and then nostalgia came into th epicture.

I don't really like Breaking Bad, I think it's way too dramatic and while yes, it's interesting and it gives an interesting view on how someone can change depending on their choices a circumstances I feel like it's just way too exxagerated for the sake of drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom