• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

i forgot a few!! (a lot)

• ffvii absolutely deserves all the praise it gets... okay, maybe not all the praise because it wasn't LITERALLY some gift from the heavens to videogamekind, but it's a really damn good game
  • all three mainline xenoblade games are nearly perfect in their own way - i think each title regresses a bit from the last in several aspects but also manages to do at least a few things significantly better, and at the end of the day i would say they're all about equal (and, like, 9.9/10s). i have not played x, so i won't speak for that one.
  • ggxx has the best soundtrack in the series
  • i am perfectly fine with waluigi not being in smash
  • the persona 2 duology is the best in the series (persona, i mean. not smt as a whole)
  • smash melee is very overrated, ssbu and brawl were better
  • RoB > SotN
  • i do NOT like vergil; in fact, i really can't stand him. i far prefer dante, and far, faaaar prefer nero.
  • fe engage was a terrific game, though i can see why older fans of the series may have found it offputting
  • i cannot find a single appealing, interesting, likable, or funny thing about adachi or akechi. two of the absolute worst parts of their respective games. can. not. stand. them. i also completely fail to find akechi sympathetic. (adachi also but he isnt meant to be sympathetic)
  • same with kokichi oma. i don't think he's sympathetic either. nothing in the world excuses what he did to gonta.
  • dimitri > claude > edelgard (i like them all)
  • nahyuta is literally fine. yes, he probably is the worst main rival, but he's not bad. the issue is that he's going up against six other terrific characters (edgeworth, blackquill, van zieks, godot, klavier, and asogi) and a solid 8/10 (franziska), so the bar is simply set.. very high. hardly his fault he couldn't clear it (though i do think a couple of things w his character should have been changed)
  • on the subject of aa, i loveloveLOVE godot but people who repeatedly try to claim he didn't do anything wrong or is anything better than morally grey.. did not get the point of the game. this is not very unpopular in some circles but as a giant fan of his character it's. a bit awkward that a good amount of people who are also giant fans of his character idolize him as some Cool Badass Guy when.. yea he's a Cool Badass Guy with an irreversibly broken moral compass lol. and it's gotten to the point where i'm actually careful abt where i say that i like him bc i don't want to be associated with his more "rabid" fans (but i also don't want to get attacked for liking him bc some people... do not take kindly to him being popular, which is sorta understandable but is very odd to me when most of the people doin that are big on dahlia and kristoph lol. by the way, the former of which i find interesting even if i hate her and the latter of which i hate and find boring). anyway, godot's complexity is what i find interesting about him. he's probably the only rival that could be called a bad person and i find that kind of darkly appealing (plus hes just like generally compelling to me lol)
  • makoto niijima is cool but she ain't all that. probably my least favorite female phantom thief along with yoshizawa. (still though. they're solid 7/10s, i just like the other ones more)
  • i'm fine with spider-man 2 not winning anything at goty 2023
  • i like pretty much every single aspect of gg more than bb, but i don't view blazblue as a "poor man's guilty gear"

The only one I can think of right now is that it is okay to play games on easy mode it does not make you any less of a gamer, people play video games to escape from things in real life and if the game is too difficult then there isn't enjoyment for someone who is playing leisurely. There is nothing wrong with people who love a challenge but to look down on people who don't like things on hard mode and try to imply they are not a gamer is a weird narrative.

Paper Mario fans go WAY too easy on Super Paper Mario when lamenting that subseries' derailment. Does it have a cool story for Mario game standards? Sure. Is it better than 90% of what came after? Probably. Doesn't change the fact it set the absolutely disastrous precedent that Paper Mario didn't have to adhere to anything resembling a consistent core set of gameplay and story-writing principles, thereby planting the seeds for all the nonsense that followed. Any reading of this series' history that does not acknowledge this is some degree of overly biased.

Last edited:
The catching mechanic in Let’s Go Pikachu & Eevee is not as bad as people online make it out to be and I’m glad that pokemon are running around in the overworld because they are easier to avoid. I prefer to catch pokemon directly rather than having the chance to accidentally kill them with a critical hit.

ET on the Atari 2600 is not the worst game ever, nor is it even the worst game on the platform.

It's not a good game, but it's just mediocre more than anything else. If it hadn't been ET, there would have been some other rushed and mediocre game that ended up being the straw that broke the camel's back in regards to the lack of quality control in the video game market at the time (that would then in the decades to come be blamed as being entirely the cause for the game market crashing).

i don't know how people can call that one the worst ever or on the platform when mystique inarguably blew it out of the water in terms of awfulness
it's because of ET's association with the north american video game crash of 1983 (as well as rumors that they manufactured more copies of ET than there were atari 2600 systems sold and the game sold so badly, atari had to bury millions of unsold and returned copies in a landfill - the latter rumor turned out to be partially true btw, there was an atari burial at a landfill but it was only around 725,000 cartridges and not all of them were ET. in fact, iirc, when they actually excavated the landfill about 10 years ago and recovered about 1300 cartridges, only 10% of them were ET.)

like obviously the garbage mystique shat out onto the platform is 100000000000 x more crap than ET ever was but there's also a gulf of difference in 'crap game(s) developed by a company that's trying to make 'adult' games (despite the very obvious difficulties in making games of that nature on the friggin atari 2600)' and 'not very good game that was being developed and published by the literal manufacture of the console that only had 5 weeks of development time in order to get released for the 1982 christmas season and atari thought that the game would sell massively well because of how successful ET the movie was at the box office and people think was the reason why the entire video game industry nearly died'

Mega man 2 has many examples of bad game design (ie: heat man's reappear/disappear blocks or the boobeam trap) and poorly balanced weapons, and is just overall far from being the best mega man game

Back
Top Bottom