• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

I don't really get why people hate on Shadow the Hedgehog (both the game and character) for being "edgy". Is it because of the whole guns, and swearing, and stuff? Because that just seems silly to me. This is just a character who's got no quarrels with just shooting the guy he's trying to stop, and clearly sees no issue with profanity. I can kinda understand the whole endings thing, but beyond that it just seems silly to me.

I don't really get why people hate on Shadow the Hedgehog (both the game and character) for being "edgy". Is it because of the whole guns, and swearing, and stuff? Because that just seems silly to me. This is just a character who's got no quarrels with just shooting the guy he's trying to stop, and clearly sees no issue with profanity. I can kinda understand the whole endings thing, but beyond that it just seems silly to me.
I think that's precisely why people dislike the edginess in that game: it tries to be dark, serious, and humorless, and ends up looking very silly as a result.

I didn't think Dishonored was very much fun. It might've been the mechanics, or the lackluster ending, or the overall gloom and filth of the world's atmosphere, but I know I will never touch this game again. Which is a shame, because the lore is actually pretty interesting.

MMOs are largely un-fun. They just never manage to keep me. Even ones I found incredibly fun when I started out just lost me after a couple of weeks since progression is typically very slow, and it's basically the same thing: run around, smash stuff, level up/gain equipment to make you better at smashing stuff, run around, smash slightly stronger stuff with your new gear, repeat... Forever.

Flame me all you want, but I don't care what happens to the Mother series. "Oh boo hoo, good story, feels, etc." Get off my back already, I am NOT going to play them, and I will NOT play them even if you paid me.

Flame me all you want, but I don't care what happens to the Mother series. "Oh boo hoo, good story, feels, etc." Get off my back already, I am NOT going to play them, and I will NOT play them even if you paid me.
I like them, but they are overrated to me.
So I respect your opinion.
Same goes for undertale
MMOs are largely un-fun. They just never manage to keep me. Even ones I found incredibly fun when I started out just lost me after a couple of weeks since progression is typically very slow, and it's basically the same thing: run around, smash stuff, level up/gain equipment to make you better at smashing stuff, run around, smash slightly stronger stuff with your new gear, repeat... Forever.
Final fantasy XI and XIV are more like final fantasy in mmo form than an actual mmo
Speaking of mmos
WoW is still popular, it may not be as popular as it was in 2007 but it still is more popular than most mmos ever get.

Unleashed is the best Sonic game of the Modern Era (as described in Generations, it'd probably have a different era title by now). I'm not just saying this 'cuz "hurr durr Manhog lol" either. It actually went for a bigger story, which I appreciate as opposed to more watered down instalments to come. The day missions have (in my opinion) the best feel of the modern era (incredible blistering speed yet still controllable). And the Werehog levels weren't bad by any means, just over-saturated, they only became annoying when the game became 30 minutes of Night between 5 minutes of Day.

I actually would like to see a proper remake of Sonic 2006, and properly iron out all the bugs, flaws etc, - because it seemed to have a lot of potential in the story department.
Absolutely. A lot of people seem to hate on the story for being "confusing" apparently. It makes perfect sense (granted with 1 or 2 plot-holes), you just need to see the whole story and pay attention. The only really bad thing about it was how obviously unfinished the whole thing was. If SEGA hadn't rushed themselves to get it out for the anniversary (and hadn't split the team in half to release Secret Rings at the same time) it would've been a great game.

I actually consider Tales of Zestiria to be one of the better Tales games, though this is mostly due to not having played most of them. Never played Vesperia or Xillia, and only just bought Symphonia (Still can't seem to beat that flaming cat!). I also like the English voices way better than the Japanese version.

- Generally, I don't hold multiplayer-focused games in high regard. (Such as fighting games.) I can see why they would appeal to some people but unfortunately I like winning a bit too much to really enjoy a game that's liable to come with its share of losses. I tend to find single player games easier to enjoy since my own abilities don't feel like they matter as much.

Never played Vesperia or Xillia, and only just bought Symphonia (Still can't seem to beat that flaming cat!).
Take out the smaller ones first and use Guardian (assuming you are using Lloyd, which you probably should in this fight) if you are about to be hit with a fire attack to mitigate the damage. When you've isolated Ktugach, whale on it and try not to leave any breathing room. Remember to guard and use Guardian when appropriate. Also make sure Genis is only using ice or water spells and disable any fire ones for this fight. Also make sure you have a healthy amount of Apple and Orange Gels. Lastly, pay attention to everyone's HP and TP levels.

Also, Sword Rain and Tempest are good skills for Lloyd to use, since Tempest will often land you behind the enemy and thus temporarily out of counterattack range. I generally have Lloyd and Genius focus on the big cat and the other party members attacking the little ones to keep them occupied, otherwise they can get annoying. Also, this can be done at lv 9-10, but I really recommend being lv 12-13.

GTA is terribly violent and it's portrayal of women is disgusting. I hate the game.

Zelda Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass were pretty good.

Hmm, I don't really have any others, I don't think.

MOTHER series overrated? That's actually the first time I've heard that. Has it become more popular nowadays like FE? Undertale is definitely overrated.

I can't say for 1 or 2, but MOTHER 3 is not as well-received in Japan as is in the English-speaking community, actually.

I don't think games are bad if they are "linear" and I don't think games are better if they are "open world".
I've never played an Open World™ game, but a let's player I watch has an interesting opinion on them.

I actually would like to see a proper remake of Sonic 2006, and properly iron out all the bugs, flaws etc, - because it seemed to have a lot of potential in the story department.
Ditto for Enter the Dragonfly. (Minus the story part, for obvious reasons.)

Zelda Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass were pretty good.
You're awesome.

The Trauma Center series were the best medical drama games ever and there should be another release in the near future. It's been seven years since Trauma Team was out, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for another possible release.

Actually, does Kirby and the Amazing Mirror count as an open-world game?

There are some popular games I don't like, but don't worry, I'm not going to go Full Rage Blaster on them. (I once saw someone on another website say that the idea of Kanto sequels made them physically sick, and that walking Pokémon was a horrible addition that ruined HGSS and would completely and utterly ruin any hypothetical future games, then attacked someone who liked HGSS. /rant)

Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver have amazing aesthetics (by DS standards), but are bogged down by archaic design choices such as status-spamming bosses (move over Whitney, Chuck made me ragequit a few months ago), terrible level scaling making it hard to grind for said bosses, and needlessly rare Pokémon (eg: Yanma).

Kirby Super Star just feels really clunky to me. I can't lay a finger on what the problem is, but I don't like how you can't get rid of a copy ability normally. Maybe it's just Wii U Virtual Console being strange? And why isn't Ultra on Virtual Console, for that matter? I own a 3DS, but still...
Honestly, I can appreciate the SNES for what it did to the gaming industry, but the only game on it I can get into (that I've played) is Kirby's Dream Land 3.

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers is still a good set of games, but it's not some Perfect Embodiment of Perfection that people on social media sites make it out to be. Having to unlock better AI (gummis) is just all kinds of weird, and the story's time travel logic is flawed (acting as if two points in time are parallel), and said story somehow feels imcomplete to me, which probably has something to do with the protagonist being a blank slate. I also don't hate the entire Dusknoir species.

Back
Top Bottom