• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Final Fantasy 13 isn't that good.

GTA is terribly violent and it's portrayal of women is disgusting. I hate the game.

That's actually the point of that game. It's a parody of American media and how it portrays, well, everything. Very, very few people get the point.

Delving into more obscure territory, I've seen several people say that their favourite music in Klonoa: Empire of Dreams is Vision of Priamill, but I personally find it annoying. It sounds like an odd combination of Zelda's Lullaby and the Zelda 1 recorder tune, in Early GBA Boopy Soundfont.

• Splatoon is a terrible game and I don't get the appeal of it. The first time I played the game the controls seemed really clunky and awkward, and I just couldn't get into the level (and character) design either. A little too colourful for my liking.
  • I liked Sonic Unleashed. I also enjoyed Sonic Colours.

The tank controls on the older Biohazard games (1-5, Code Veronica) were fine the way they were and the old fixed camera angles weren't much of a hindrance, people just suck at adapting to things that aren't standard. Forward button is always literally forward in the eyes of the character, etc. Git gud.

Walking and shooting are welcome changes, but I could have still done without, especially in horror games. I barely use the mechanic at all in The Evil Within, I just kill enemies old school RE style.

Last edited:
There should only be one or two new FIFA games each console generation. They could then just release updates each season, and transfer window. There is not enough new content to justify a new release each year. I don't understand people who buy it each year.

There should only be one or two new FIFA games each console generation. They could then just release updates each season, and transfer window. There is not enough new content to justify a new release each year. I don't understand people who buy it each year.

Because new leagues and teams. New content, new dynamics, new types of feel with play, new modes. new moves, and graphical changes.

It makes a difference.

Because new leagues and teams. New content, new dynamics, new types of feel with play, new modes. new moves, and graphical changes.

It makes a difference.

not only that those licenses are expensive as hell to get especially some of the "exclusive" ones they have or get.

now on to mine

skyrim special edition graphically in my opinion looks WORSE then its last gen and PC 32 bit versions and the game play is the same somewhat

I think Zelda Breath of the Wild is one of the worst games ever made. All these things held up as virtues, it's difficulty, bland empty open world, lack of any guidance, all make the game incredibly frustrating. Not to mention items always breaking.

What's worse is along with the game, my Mum also bought the Expansion Pak, I've not even got to use it yet, I get so angry and frustrated with the game, I continually try and advance in it, but it's painful, I don't want this present to go to waste, as my Mum doesn't have much money, but I can't bare it. I want to sell it, both the game and the Expansion code, still unused.

A game should be enjoyable, it shouldn't be making me feel this upset and distressed all the time.

Didn't enjoy Zelda Triforce Heroes either, I just want a normal Zelda game again.

Didn't enjoy Zelda Triforce Heroes either, I just want a normal Zelda game again.
Did anyone enjoy Triforce Heroes though? I kept getting paired up with rando idiots who didn't have any idea how to play the game, and you really can't solo it with that 1-player mode.

I liked Sonic Unleashed. I also enjoyed Sonic Colours.
I'd say that's more of a hotly debated opinion, at least in the case of Unleashed's versions using the Hedgehog Engine (the PS3 and 360 versions, in other words), considering there seem to be as many supporters for "boost" Modern Sonic gameplay as there are detractors, especially with Sonic Forces bringing it back - and adding a variant which is more gadget-focused (the Custom Hero gameplay, which from what little footage we have, seems to transition between 2D and 3D segments just like Modern Sonic does). As for me, though, I enjoyed the Wii version back in the day. I unquestionably know that one is an unpopular opinion.

Now, personal story time. I'm a very gameplay-first kind of person, which may be surprising given how many story-driven games I end up playing. To put it in another way, I firmly believe that solid gameplay is what sells me on a game - anything about the story that could get me hype can help, but in many cases I set aside any opinions I or others may have on the story. I attribute this to my apathetic nature as a human being, so make of that what you will.

In any case, it's for the above reason that I think a lot of people overhype the story aspect of certain Nintendo games to the point where I discard any motivation I might have had on acquiring and playing through the game - examples include Super Mario RPG, the first three Paper Mario titles and the PMD Explorers series. It's a bit unfortunate, too - I've heard the gameplay is pretty solid in all of those examples (for the most part in Explorers' case), and at this point my refusal to go out and try these games is mainly due to spite. I also ended up starting playing Fire Emblem with Fates as opposed to basically every other title in the series for the same reasons above - solid gameplay mechanics, questionable story.

I'm not actually excited for Super Mario Odyssey. Something about it's just not appealing to me. Yes, visually, it's amazing (except for the whole, 2 foot tall Mario thing), but I think how open world-y it looks is making me wary.

Huh, that's another thing I could talk about, I'm not a fan of open world games. I seriously suffer from Quicksand Box. If I'm given the option to do anything in a world, I'll tend to freeze up and do very little. Sure exploring the worlds is fun, but when that's how you get most of the content, not so much. I don't like it when I'm given complete freedom over what to do and when, since I'll have trouble figuring out what to do and when. This is pretty much why I'm very hesitant to try BotW, it lets me go wherever, with what is apparently a f*cking massive world, I know me, I'd never figure out where to go.
What makes this doubly weird, is that when I'm not told to go explore, I often will, especially if it's given to me in small doses. I'll wander around the world, look for stuff, and be perfectly fine since I still know exactly what to get back to when I'm done. In a full open world game, even when I decided I was done exploring, I'd still have no direction and find myself wandering for longer than I want to, unless I deliberately got something to put aside until after exploring.

Now, personal story time. I'm a very gameplay-first kind of person, which may be surprising given how many story-driven games I end up playing. To put it in another way, I firmly believe that solid gameplay is what sells me on a game - anything about the story that could get me hype can help, but in many cases I set aside any opinions I or others may have on the story. I attribute this to my apathetic nature as a human being, so make of that what you will.

In any case, it's for the above reason that I think a lot of people overhype the story aspect of certain Nintendo games to the point where I discard any motivation I might have had on acquiring and playing through the game - examples include Super Mario RPG, the first three Paper Mario titles and the PMD Explorers series. It's a bit unfortunate, too - I've heard the gameplay is pretty solid in all of those examples (for the most part in Explorers' case), and at this point my refusal to go out and try these games is mainly due to spite. I also ended up starting playing Fire Emblem with Fates as opposed to basically every other title in the series for the same reasons above - solid gameplay mechanics, questionable story.
Sooooo, you're Sakurai?

Sooooo, you're Sakurai?
I'm fairly sure you misinterpreted my gameplay first mentality. *laughs* That's more Miyamoto's thing. Sakurai just hates the internet for putting story spoilers up day of release, and left a mode similar to SSE out of Smash 4 for that reason. While the spite may be similar, I'm not a game dev - and I'm not exactly sharing in that mindset. Same with Miyamoto's. (And before you ask, no, I have *not* played either Sticker Star or Colour Splash extensively enough to form an honest opinion on those games.)

While I'm at it, another unpopular opinion from me. Mario Kart Wii is the most terrible multiplayer experience I have ever had in my life. Spiny Shells are a bit too frequent and the Complacent Gaming Syndrome with THOSE DAMN BIKES is honestly quite appalling. In that regard, I'm glad that bikes were brought down to not be overpowered when they returned in Mario Kart 8.

On a side note, I assume the old thread on unpopular Pokémon opinions no longer exists due to... hot debates, to put it lightly? I dunno, it's only an assumption and the link to that thread in the first post dates back to the old server!

On the topic of MK8 (not sure if unpopular or not but, eh), am I the only one who hates that the horn will smash a blue shell? I get that the horn's rare, and you've gotta hold it a long time, and there's other ways to avoid it, but still. Mushroom dashing takes skill and super timing, the horn's all just like "Oh, look, blue shell. BWAH!" Problem solved.

]
couldn't agree more

I actually liked fire emblem fates: revelation. the villain felt three dimensional to me more than it did to anyone else and the ability to have only like 1 party member die the entire time is a plus.

I'm fairly sure you misinterpreted my gameplay first mentality. *laughs* That's more Miyamoto's thing. Sakurai just hates the internet for putting story spoilers up day of release, and left a mode similar to SSE out of Smash 4 for that reason. While the spite may be similar, I'm not a game dev - and I'm not exactly sharing in that mindset. Same with Miyamoto's. (And before you ask, no, I have *not* played either Sticker Star or Colour Splash extensively enough to form an honest opinion on those games.)

While I'm at it, another unpopular opinion from me. Mario Kart Wii is the most terrible multiplayer experience I have ever had in my life. Spiny Shells are a bit too frequent and the Complacent Gaming Syndrome with THOSE DAMN BIKES is honestly quite appalling. In that regard, I'm glad that bikes were brought down to not be overpowered when they returned in Mario Kart 8.

I've stopped being a fan of Mario Kart for a closely similar reason since Double Dash. I've tried F-Zero Maximum Velocity on the actual GBA years ago. The difficulty in that was much more frustrating than, say, Mario Kart 64, but at least they were the legitimate sort of difficulties - tight curves, crashes and when (not) to boost. The reasons for not coming in the Top 3 (which was required to move to the next course on the grand prix) were more related to my own shortcomings instead of the cheap-ass CPUs that should have not been in 1P mode in the first place.

Also, Mute City in Mario Kart 8 instead of releasing an actual F-Zero game is one of the biggest "Fuck you, cunts" moment Nintendo has pulled off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been thinking about Sonic lately, so back with more unpopular opinions on that.
  • Sonic and the Black Knight is incredibly underrated and is a ton of fun. The controls were vastly improved from its predecessor SATSR, the voice acting was the best it had ever been (at least the 4Kids cast when out on a good note), and the story was actually decent enough. Caliburn was the best "one time use" character this series has ever seen, and he had legitimate chemistry with Sonic and actually led to wonderful comebacks and lines between the two. Fantastic soundtrack as well. I enjoy it more than every single Sonic game that came afterward, including Generations (which I think is overrated honestly).
  • Treasure Hunting in Sonic Adventure and especially Sonic Adventure 2 was my jam and it was the most fun mode in SA2 (SA I'd give the edge to Amy's fun "hide from ZERO" stages). I play SA2 every year, so I'd say it has held up quite nicely. On that note...
  • Sonic games should go back to having multiple playstyles like in SA, SA2, and 2006. 2006 actually did that very well imo, because Sonic and Shadow controlled similar enough that it wasn't jarring to switch between the two, and even Silver was close-yet-different enough that it wasn't quite the shifts that the Adventure games had between playstyles. Game was unpolished and unfinished as all get-out, but the foundation was absolutely there for finally tackling the balance between Sonic-style gameplay and variety, especially with the short amigo character sections in the stages (I loved that concept).
  • The issues with the Heroes-2006 era of Sonic games is NOT that there were too many characters bloating the franchise, but that Sonic Team clearly did not know what to do with them and just tacked them on to games unnecessarily. Like, really, did Sonic Heroes NEED to have 4 teams of 3 characters each who all played exactly the same minus maybe one or two special abilities (like the tornado thing Sonic and Shadow did)? No, it didn't.
  • I liked the plot of Sonic 2006. There, I admit it. I unapologetically love the plot and the game overall, the many, MANY flaws (which I acknowledge exist) be damned. I don't even care that Elise kissed Sonic and all the "but that's bestiality!!1!1!" because it's a friggen video game piece of fiction and Elise was hit by a cosmic retcon anyway so who cares. plus I actually liked Elise because she had a pretty character design, but yeah

Back
Top Bottom