• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

The one game that I won't play however, is Smash Bros Melee and later games. Firstly, I'm quite turned off by how SB ended up giving a few characters from FE too much attention when the major focus of those games is teamwork with various unique units.
I mean, that kinda goes for every strategy game, really. I don't necessarily see how you could translate teamwork into a platform fighter without a team match - closest you're gonna get is stuff like Mega Legends and, funnily enough, the Pair Up Final Smashes. Please don't suggest an Ice Climbers solution.

Adapting character traits as well as elements of gameplay from each respective series isn't easy to do for any character in the roster - Mario was given an entire moveset of various things he couldn't do in his home games (in addition to others that he could), Captain Falcon was left with the remnants of a time when Smash Bros. didn't have Nintendo characters, and only Robin of all FE characters actually demonstrates weapon durability as a gameplay mechanic in the middle of battle. Characters from earlier games are particularly notable when compared to those introduced in Smash 4 - I suggest you look at a few videos of the "Know Your Moves" series to fully grasp what's going on with how Sakurai designs characters. This isn't even going into the fact that Marth and Roy in Melee remaining in international versions of the game are the reason Fire Emblem even has a more widespread presence in the west!
Secondly, are the rumors right that some characters have got radically changed portrayals from their canon franchises? As an extension to this, I refuse to accept that a certain character happens to be on the same level of badass as the ones from FE, or the other heroes. (I'm not saying who, as I previously got in trouble a couple of times...)
It's no "rumour", for Marth and Ike's voice clips at least. I'll let you find the translations on your own, though...

And I could play the role of the opposition here. I would wholeheartedly accept power-creep power-seep between franchises because it's a dream match scenario where anything goes! I would perhaps have once argued that certain character choices aren't fit for the series, but it was pretty much no holds barred as soon as Cloud got in.

On that note... Guess I'll put an unpopular opinion of my own. Video game communities like the ones for Final Fantasy and Fire Emblem fight each other far too often... Is it too much to ask for an outsider to become part of either community with a completely fresh and unbiased view, free of all the wars of which title is the best, and also playing even those that are looked down upon?

I mean, that kinda goes for every strategy game, really. I don't necessarily see how you could translate teamwork into a platform fighter without a team match - closest you're gonna get is stuff like Mega Legends and, funnily enough, the Pair Up Final Smashes. Please don't suggest an Ice Climbers solution.?
This isn't even going into the fact that Marth and Roy in Melee remaining in international versions of the game are the reason Fire Emblem even has a more widespread presence in the west!
Yeah that is a good point - otherwise FE would remain a niche series. Though I'm still not fond of the other side-effects as noted below.

It's no "rumour", for Marth and Ike's voice clips at least. I'll let you find the translations on your own, though...
Well, I've heard that Ganon essentially becomes a ninja in Smash Bros. And I'm wondering, "Why?? Give him the sword and the trident like in Hyrule Warriors!" Yeah, nah, no thanks.

And I could play the role of the opposition here. I would wholeheartedly accept power-creep power-seep between franchises because it's a dream match scenario where anything goes! I would perhaps have once argued that certain character choices aren't fit for the series, but it was pretty much no holds barred as soon as Cloud got in.
I'm sorry, but unless if there's a good justification (eg At least Zelda since Twilight Princess got a lot better, and consistently so.), I just cannot put up a suspension of disbelief. I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree.

Yeah that is a good point - otherwise FE would remain a niche series. Though I'm still not fond of the other side-effects as noted below.

Well, I've heard that Ganon essentially becomes a ninja in Smash Bros. And I'm wondering, "Why?? Give him the sword and the trident like in Hyrule Warriors!" Yeah, nah, no thanks.

I'm sorry, but unless if there's a good justification (eg At least Zelda since Twilight Princess got a lot better, and consistently so.), I just cannot put up a suspension of disbelief. I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree.
Ganon does not become a ninja, he is a semiclone of captain falcon, which is already an OP character as is, which makes perfect sense for the triforce of power
Likewise he has used physical attacks before, most notably in OoT's final battle

And if that certain character you mention IS captain falcon then it's kind of hard to explain really. The tldr of that is that in F zero he is a feared bounty hunter, and this is only reflected in the later games/adaptations like GX and the anime. Not to mention his moveset kind of relies on crazy awesome, mainly because until those adaptations, he never had any way to show how he could fight. And keeping that in mind, the original ssb came after F zero X, which is the last game to imply he's badass and not outright show it in a story mode.

"Why?? Give him the sword and the trident like in Hyrule Warriors!" Yeah, nah, no thanks.
I'd say that it's a byproduct of his conception... He was very likely the last character added to Super Smash Bros. Melee, and back then he was even more of a Captain Falcon clone than he is now - if you can believe it.

Funnily enough, this translates into an unpopular opinion of my own - I'm perfectly okay with Ganondorf being what he is. It means you get to do stuff like this to those that aren't paying attention...

The so-called "King of Disrespect" is the reason why, despite being consistently one of the worst characters in each game he appears in, I'm okay with it - he's fun to use when you want to really piss off your friends!
And that's perfectly fine. Bless Sakurai to make some crazy-arse decisions, though...
I do have a feeling I know which character you're talking about. It's relatively obvious - pretty much everyone thought the same thing as you did.

As I'm a gameplay-first kind of person, character be damned, just make them fun to play! That's what I care about.

@returnofMCH: No, not Captain Falcon. I'm happy to give him a pass. After all, TV Tokyo decided to give him the Falcon Punch in the F-Zero anime, and he looks quite badass in the GX story. (Though I wonder just how much does Smash influenced canon franchises (inc the Pokémon Anime)...)

@TouyaShiro : I admit, I didn't know he was a late addition. There we go.

Speaking of F-Zero I would like to see the story of Maximum Velocity expanded. What happened to Captain Falcon after the main games? Did he die, or did he simply move on with his life? What has become of Mute City, now that Bianca City ousted the former as the universe's super-metropolis? I'd like to see a GX Remaster with a Maximum Velocity DLC.

Last edited:
after finishing angry birds star wars there's clearly literally nothing left to do other than obtain all 3 stars in all levels

Fire emblem fates: revelation WAS fun
Gimmick =/= bad map first off, second off no one died and it bothered with a story to connect the routes together, it may not have totally pulled it off, but it worked out okay in my book

Plus it's final boss was suprisingly fleshed out and a tragic villain which combined with the highest hp count in the series (beating out FE10's previous record) made taking him down sastifying.

I have an inability to get invested in the grand total of two turn-based strategy games I've played. They're Pokémon Conquest and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon.

I have an inability to get invested in the grand total of two turn-based strategy games I've played. They're Pokémon Conquest and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon.
The latter is... a bit of a terrible choice for a Fire Emblem considering how much it regresses compared to its immediate predecessors (trying to stay more true to the source game it remade). But I can understand that opinion nonetheless.

Got some for the Mario series. I dunno if these are actually unpopular, necessarily, but I want to mention them anyway.
  • I hate the baby characters (the ones seen in the Mario Kart games).
  • Nothing about Wario or Waluigi appeals to me.
  • Despite official sources doing it, I'm just not really into shipping Mario/Peach and Luigi/Daisy.

The Sonic Adventure series was terrible.

I hate the baby characters (the ones seen in the Mario Kart games).

The baby characters (alongside the Metal characters) are more closer to Tingle's situation; As in, they're unpopular towards international audiences yet popular towards the Japanese fanbase

Looking back, I really don't think that the N64 was that great of a console. A lot of the games on the system had rather clunky controls and haven't really aged particularly well, as a result. And the controller itself was...a bit odd in its design.

I consider the GameCube to be Nintendo's best console...or maybe the Wii for its ability to play the GC library, as well. But I just think the GameCube has the most comfortable control pad of all Nintendo consoles; and is also probably one of my all-time favorite control pads, next to the Xbox controller.

Speaking of which, another unpopular opinion (at least around here) is that in my hands the Xbox controller > PlayStation controller. Nothing particularly wrong with the PlayStation control pad in its own right, but I find the buttons to be a bit rougher compared to the Xbox's smooth, softer buttons, and I don't really like the placement of the left analog stick of the PS controller or it's lack of a D-pad.

Bethesda games are boring and look incredibly bland.
I think this is the third time you've stated this now.

Last edited:
@Trainer Gabriel I'm pretty sure I only ever said Elder Scrolls was the worst before hand. ;)

I think the Lego games are more enjoyable on handheld then on home console.

Back
Top Bottom