• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

I've never got what was so impressive about the Kingdom Hearts franchise.

Mii Swordfighter is far from the worst character in SSB4.

Disney characters feel completely out of place in Kingdom Hearts. On one side you have Final Fantasy characters with overdesigned outfits and ridiculous hairstyles and on the other side you have Donald Duck, Mickey and Goofy, they don't mix well at all. It's just jarring, distracting and it's the main reason why i'm never playing the Kingdom Hearts games.

League of Legends is a boring waste of time. My friend tried to get me to play, and even though I went in with an open mind, I couldn't get into it. I just couldn't justify spending ~40 minutes per match, and the matches felt tedious and repetitive. I'm aware that the community is widely disliked, but it was the game itself that turned me away from LoL. It was a shame, because I thought some of the champions were pretty interesting.

I also don't see the appeal of competitive Pokemon battling. There's really no skill involved and I don't have the patience to breed for natures and IVs and such (which is somewhat hypocritical because I frequently breed for shiny Pokemon, but breeding for competitively viable Pokemon is a much more involved process).

I dislike esports, just like how I dislike regular sports. Playing games and sports is enjoyable, but I couldn't care less about watching other people play them. I can't even focus on watching let's plays and the like (although I like listening to Game Grumps' commentary while doing something else).

Ocarina of Time is the most overrated Zelda. I understand that it gave way to the other 3d Zeldas, and that it was revolutionary for it's time. However, it just doesn't hold up today. Almost everything about the game is just bland. The story, the over world and the characters were all rather boring. The only thing really interesting about OoT is the temples :/

sonic 06 was better than people make it out to be imo.
At least it looks like they tried to make an actual story out of the Sonic franchise. Perhaps the could have just fixed the controls and gameplay system and it wouldn't have as much infamy as it did?

Fire Emblem Awakening isn't as easy without the paid DLC map grinding - even at Normal mode, and some support planning beforehand. Also I only use the Spotpass character battles - not interested in the paid DLCs at the moment.

I don't understand why people get riled up about some of the so-called "over-represented" Pokémon, when only a handful of cases where you're forced a Pokémon - and even then you can just box them later if you don't want to use them. (I'm not ruling out valid cases, however, like say, a lack of immediately available choices for same-type Pokémon.)

Ditto with Fire Emblem characters - only Lords like Chrom, Marth, and Roy et al would hypothetically warrant the accusation similar to the Pokémon example above. (The Mario franchise is a lot more more annoying in this regard. Zelda, to a lesser extent, also used to be annoying, but they seem to be shaking things up better since Twilight Princess.)

Last edited:
  • Final Fantasy VI is super overrated, not just VII
  • The "Lightning Saga" games in Final Fantasy were all good and the plot + terminology wasn't overly confusing
  • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is much better than the PS1 FF Tactics
  • Super Mario Sunshine is still the best 3D Mario game

You must be popular at the Final Fantasy fan conventions :p I kid, I kid.

I don't know about FFVI being overrated (but I do definitely think VII is). VI has a regular place on 'BEST GAMES EVER' and 'BEST RPGs EVER' (and really it's the second best JRPG of all time besides Chrono Trigger). But I suppose such high praise makes anything overrated by definition because whenever one of those lists gets traction people always complain about the top 5 and top 10 XD

As someone who's played every single main series FF, most of the side games (I'm counting Bravely Default as a side game / spinoff here)... I think the issue for the lightning series is that it's of lower quality than so many games before it in the series. Like if it was a new IP, people wouldn't trash it so much (it would be like SquEnix swung, missed but there was some good stuff in there). But because it was a final fantasy (with the same main character for three games which they never do), people were like ENOUGH WITH LIGHTNING ALREADY. My real gripe with the series was that they took WAY TOO LONG to open up the map in the first game (seriously it's 20+ hours for a first playthrough), which killed it for so many people.

I do like Tactics Advance better though.

The Sunshine thing is similar to the Lightning thing is. Sunshine was one of my favorite gamecube games (right up there with Metroid Prime) but it's got stiff competition. Including the two galaxy games, which are some of the best games that have come out in the past five plus years. That being said, I can definitely see how it remains a favorite given just how different it is from really any other mario entry.

As for my own unpopular opinions:

- Shovel Knight should have been GOTY 2014
- Bravely Default is the best Final Fantasy game since FF9
- Majora's Mask is an objectively better game than OOT (better story, more sidequests, tightened up controls and combat)
- Skyward Sword wasn't as unspeakably awful as people say. I mean sure it has its flaws and sure Fi is Satan but it still works well as a Zelda game
- I really, really like the DMC reboot
- I really enjoy the 'bro' shooters (CoD, Halo, Gears) because well... they have solid gameplay and extremely fluid and tight controls.
- Smash 64 is my favorite Smash game (and Melee is my least favorite)
- I enjoy Heroes of the Storm way more than League and haven't booted up League once since I started playing Heroes.
- Generations 1 and 2 are still my favorite Pokemon gens

People place way too much importance on starter Pokemon. While it's usually one of the stronger members of the team and it could give you a pre-existing (dis)advantage against some gyms, they don't have to be in your team if you don't want them to and they're absolutely not going to make or break your playthrough like some people claim it will.

I actually did this in two of my playthroughs. I decided to play White 2 and Alpha Sapphire without a traditional starter (I only really kept my starter around in the early game before depositing them, kind of like renting a starter to learn the basics of training.) I got through the game just fine with Magnemite/Venipede and Lotad/Poochyena respectively serving as the new "starter" Pokemon. Yet people look at me funny when I tell them I did this. To me, it's interesting to see how a team could turn out if you didn't have the privilege of being given a starter Pokemon by the local Professor. Or a Key Stone.

I dislike esports, just like how I dislike regular sports. Playing games and sports is enjoyable, but I couldn't care less about watching other people play them.

I feel the same way. I don't mind Let's Plays as much, especially if I'm watching a person who is entertaining in their own right and he or she is not exactly competing. They do it to have fun. esports is another story. I really dislike the term esports, too. I don't know why, it just comes off as pretentious to me. I've also heard nothing but negative things about these events in how they treat people who are not the "core demographic," so that also kills any enjoyment I would have had if I ever cared to watch them. So yeah, esports... don't like them or care for them.

Don't know if it's unpopular, but there isn't a single bad Legend of Zelda game (i don't count the CDI Zelda games). I have issues with each game (even with my favourite ones), but there isn't one i deem truly bad and i have no problem replaying each one every now and then.

The first few opinions that come to mind:

I dislike "miis" and everything about them
Majora's Mask is the worst Zelda game I've ever played, and I've beaten (and loved) everything - sans the CDI games - pre Windwaker. Including Windwaker.
The last good Final Fantasy was IX
FPS games are horrible
The N64 was pretty bad honestly, though I do love Mischief Makers
I feel Sakurai's reasoning for excluding cutscenes in Smash 3DS/WiiU is ridiculously petty

Say whatever you want, but I do not understand, and I cannot give a heck about the fuss surrounding Mr. Iwata's passing away. Sure, death is unpleasant, but not being a personal friend or family member, and with other deaths being more of a concern (eg some of the refugees in the recent crisis) I refuse to join the hype. Nintendo with it's relative dearth of anything besides the stupid Mario games (and maybe Pokémon and Zelda, and even I find that debatable) in recent years has been quite disappointing, and I don't feel as much love of the company as I used to. Besides, it's not the end of the world as far as we gamers are concerned. And as far as Mr Miyamoto is concerned, I long for the day that he gets fired, and the Mario series completely shut down.

Last edited:
The motion controls in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword were amazing and I'm saddened that they're not even an option in Wii U Zeldas (Since Zelda U isn't going to be using them).
I personally love motion controls when they're done right (Sonic and the Secret Rings was a fail and the ball/surfing levels in Mario Galaxy were just as bad).

Final Fantasy 9 is one of the best Final Fantasy games. Yeah, i love this game, i love the story, characters, gameplay, music and a bunch of other stuff.

The only issue i have with this game is the overall battle speed and those pointless shots of the battlefield at the start of every battle. If a remake or a remaster for this game is made in the future and it increases the battle speed and it has an option to remove those pointless shots at the start of every battle, i'll be an happy camper.

There are too many retro (pre N64) styled games (including those with modern graphics).

I don't know exactly what you mean here, but I can definitely relate to the general notion. There are waaayyyy too many games out there that are trying way too hard to pander to the audience who is still stuck in the NES/SNES generations. Like, exactly how many top-down ALTTP style Zelda games do we need?

Ah Puch didn't deserve that much of a nerf in Smite...

The nerf wasn't too bad, you just have to buy Gem of Iso now.

My list.
-Fire Emblem should stop with the support craze, most of the support conversations are cringeworthy and do not add much depth to many characters.
-Final Fantasy III is the best Final Fantasy game. Fight me.
-Lucina should not be her own character in Smash 4 for multiple reasons.
-Dark Souls is not all that hard if you actually think about what you are doing.
-The Hyperdimension Neptunia games are bad and should feel bad.
-Animal Crossing is fun on consoles as well as handhelds.
-Ocarina of Time has the best sound track of any Zelda game and the games controls are showing their age. It is however still a good game.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of "dere" stereotypes in Japanese media (like tsundere, yandere, etc.).

-Fire Emblem should stop with the support craze, most of the support conversations are cringeworthy and do not add much depth to many characters.
There were support conversations since FE6 and before that there was a similar kind of love system. It would be quite odd to have a new FE game without support convos or something like it.

There were support conversations since FE6 and before that there was a similar kind of love system. It would be quite odd to have a new FE game without support convos or something like it.

I never said stop all supports, I just wish they would put less of a focus on them, and make the character supports less one note.

Back
Top Bottom