• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • It's time for the Writer's Workshop Summer event: our second themed one-shot competition! Check out the sign-up thread here!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

disgusting.
Reaction score
Sometimes so bad it’s good translations do need fixing for a remake/remaster. Such as star ocean 2 or final fantasy 7. It’s kind of hard to take a game seriously when you see typos like you’are a puppet or strange sentences like this guy are sick. Especially in the case of the former game, because it’s the darkest of the series and kind of easy to just enjoy it for all the bad voice acting and not the excellantly done plot. (The exception is resident evil 1, the bad voice acting added to the B movie feel, and therefore made it scarier imo)

Reaction score
Sometimes so bad it’s good translations do need fixing for a remake/remaster. Such as star ocean 2 or final fantasy 7. It’s kind of hard to take a game seriously when you see typos like you’are a puppet or strange sentences like this guy are sick. Especially in the case of the former game, because it’s the darkest of the series and kind of easy to just enjoy it for all the bad voice acting and not the excellantly done plot. (The exception is resident evil 1, the bad voice acting added to the B movie feel, and therefore made it scarier imo)
The Spanish Final Fantasy VII was worse. They translated "party" as "fiesta" and they couldn't decide which gender Aerith was.

Small ripples lead to big waves.
Reaction score
I like the selection of furniture in Animal Crossing: New Horizons. While there are less items overall, they can be customised to resemble furniture series from previous games. Also, it's so pretty! Another unpopular opinion is that I like Happy Home Designer and wouldn't mind a sequel.

Praise Euterpe
Reaction score
Another unpopular opinion is that I like Happy Home Designer and wouldn't mind a sequel.
HHD was an excellent spin-off. I've never understood why people disliked it so much. I saw so many complaints that boiled down to "It's not a full Animal Crossing game". Well, of course it wasn't, it was released two-three years (depending on whether you're coming from a US or Japan perspective) after New Leaf. The last time we got a full Animal Crossing released in that time (City Folk) it was an incredibly poor offering.

I remember there being panic during that era from some people about "OMG what if Nintendo doesn't ever make another mainline Animal Crossing?!" You know, even though the fact that Nintendo was dabbling into spinoffs from the franchise showed that the series was successful.

Happy Home Designer was quite fun because I came into it knowing it was a spin-off and that was okay, thus was able to enjoy it. If anything it's disappointing that New Horizons lacks a lot of what HHD brought to the series, such as ceiling objects.

I'd be more willing to forgive NH's lack of furniture variety if Nintendo was showing any sign of improving it, but they really aren't. The recent Pirate Gulliver update was the straw that broke the back for me. Pocket Camp simultaneously got a Pirate Gulliver update that came with all kinds of exciting furniture that would provide a lot of great standard outdoor furniture items (like tables with umbrellas over them)... But when it came to NH what did we get? The gimmicky items like the cannon and treasure chest. None of the practical items. Absolutely none of them.

Nintendo is holding back NH so much and it hurts me because it's such a fun game to design a town in. Guess I'll just go back to The Sims where there is a large variety of items and where there's not I can just find custom content and put it in my game. That's the thing, with The Sims I can do that. With Animal Crossing I can not. Thus it is up to Nintendo to make a meaty selection for decorating and, I'm sorry, but they've not done too good of a job at that.

Reaction score
Happy Home Designer wasn't seen fondly due to the only thing thing you can do is decorate houses and public buildings, no more of the usual activities. You don't even have a house of your own to decorate. That's what I get from most people.

disgusting.
Reaction score
on the subject of animal crossing, I don't like the penalties for not playing, or god forbid, resetti. my game crashed once on wild world and resetti bugged me to type as he wanted but not as he said and with correct punctuation and grammar. that's not fun, that's just insulting imo. I had to use an action replay just to bypass that to play the game again. the cockroaches and weeds and characters moving out when you don't play also make it more stressful than relaxing, because I go into the game and have to check every house to see if someone's moving, have to stomp on all the roaches, have to pluck every weed, I don't find that relaxing whatsoever.

grass princess
Reaction score
I've been thinking about Three Houses lately (but when am I not) and I think this is a fairly unpopular opinion: I really like Leonie and I don't understand why people hate her so much. I get that her obsession with Jeralt is kind of annoying but otherwise I find her a perfectly likable character and I like her a lot more than some of the other girls who seem to be almost universally loved (cough Edelgard and Bernadetta cough)

Reaction score
I would rather have more AJR songs in Rock Band if that means we never get again black/doom/death/whatever metal.

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
I've seen in numerous places that the dub voice acting for Trials of Mana is considered "terrible". I don't see it as that. Sure, it's got a bit of narm to it, but I feel it actually fits the characters better than everyone else says it does (except Charlotte, god her voice truly is terrible, being a mix of baby talk, Elmer Fudd, and an unexplained Brooklyn accent, that one I can agree with). Frankly, I find the voice acting almost fun, as it makes each character seem more unique and not a cut-and-paste stereotypical voice for them. Kevin's, for example, makes a lot of sense, as his Beastman/human hybrid blood is clearly causing some form of brain deficiency due to compatibility issues, hence his somewhat broken speech pattern (that can also apply to Charlotte, since she's also a hybrid, a human/elf one, though they did take that one too far).

But everywhere I go, reading or watching reviews, everyone criticizes the dub voice acting very harshly. Again, it's got a narm charm that I rather like, and I really don't see it as "terrible" like everyone chews it out for. To me, it fits better because the game has quite the colorful cast, and it is a super-remastered game from the 90's, so it does have that 90's charm/vibe to it. I've actually listened to the Japanese version and I find that version to be difficult to listen to. I wouldn't call it "terrible", I just don't like it as it doesn't sound as entertaining or unique compared to the dub. Everyone sounds so... generic with the Japanese version to me, while the dub sounds more colorful. While I normally am neutral to Japanese voice acting (Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth is an example that I'm perfectly fine with, especially since the cast and voice acting were equally colorful and charming), I find Trials of Mana's Japanese voice acting to be too bland and stereotypical. The dub feels more colorful, alive, creative, and fun, and in many cases it can really nail the situation better (Belladonna's breakdown, for example, at the Mana Sanctuary if you didn't use Hawkeye/Riesz as your main character sound genuinely heartbroken that her efforts were for nothing and she lost the one person she loved, now feeling that she has no reason to keep living).

But, yeah, everyone bashes the dub voice acting like there's no tomorrow yet I feel the dub is more fun and colorful while Japanese voice acting leaves a lot to be desired. So, yeah, I like the dub voice acting better because it adds more uniqueness and has a certain 90's narm charm that I rather enjoy (I was a 90's era kid growing up, after all).

Reaction score
Super Mario Odyssey was a bit overhyped for Mario's grandest adventure yet.

For a globe trotting adventure where Bowser steals cultural treasures for his grand wedding, I was expecting some established locations other than Peach's castle and Bowser's kingdom. They should've had Donkey Kong for something beyond alluding to his name and the "boss" of an 8 bit obstacle course, Yoshi should've main game rather than post game with a visit to Yoshi's Island.

As much as I'm not into the koopalings, this would've been their 3D game debut.