• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Standing Out
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/They
Boss Rushes Are Bad Actually, for a couple of reasons. The specific example I'm thinking of here is Hollow Knight, but most boss rushes have these problems to some degree in my experience.
  • Barring a few exceptions, bosses are usually not designed to be fought in series. They're distinct challenges where the way you need to fight other bosses aren't really considered. For example, the Defender's Crest is practically mandatory to fight the Lost Kin, but not really worth the single charm notch against literally anything else. Most boss fights don't really work in rushes, especially the more obnoxious ones that either demand a specific setup to be tolerable, forcing you to bring that setup along for everything else, or ones that just throw your game off and basically just act as run enders most of the time.
  • When they introduce new bosses you need to fight through the rest of the rush to get another shot at. One of the best ways to minimise the frustration experienced when losing to a difficult boss is to allow the player to jump straight back in and immediately implement what they learned in their last attempt. To force your player to go back through a bunch of nonsense before trying again disrupts the gameplay loop and is actively disrespectful of the time the player is spending playing and trying to learn your game. Sometimes, like Hollow Knight, simply meeting the boss is enough to unlock the ability to freely practice on them outside of the boss rush setting. But:
    • Not all games allow you to do this, instead forcing you to replay the entire thing just to try and learn that bonus boss you can't practice with any other way
    • That doesn't fix the problem that you can lose an entire run, of both the boss or the rush as a whole before even reaching them, to a single careless mistake at any time, which wouldn't be nearly so devastating as if you were allowed to just retry the annoying one straight away.
  • And of course, let's not forget the fact that locking these additional bosses behind such an obnoxious gauntlet means that they can, by design, never be faced by anybody who can't be assed throwing their heads against the proverbial wall enough to push their way through to encountering them. I'm legitimately annoyed that I'll never experience the Pure Vessel or the Sisters of Battle simply because I can't slog my way through the Enraged Guardian, Lost Kin, No Eyes, and the Traitor Lord all in one go, when all of them were hot garbage fights on their own.

My most unpopular video game opinion is one that has the possibility to offend, to please be warned.

Personally, I believe that heavy story has no place in video games. If you are going to tell a story, it should complement the gameplay but never interfere with it. I should never finding myself watching a 5+ minute cutscene in a video game.

This is mostly why I stick to retro gaming. I'm very happy playing video games with no story.
Hoho~ Spicy! While I certainly disagree, this feels more like a personal taste thing that'd probably derail things to no end if we talked here. Happy to discus in private if you'd like, though.

Minty Fresh
Reaction score
Hoho~ Spicy! While I certainly disagree, this feels more like a personal taste thing that'd probably derail things to no end if we talked here. Happy to discus in private if you'd like, though.
You know where to find me if you want to talk about it, I'm always open to debate :)

Looking for a way to be whole again.
Reaction score
There are those annoying secret 3D Mario levels that crank up the difficulty to 11. I liked the secret level of Super Mario Galaxy above all others because after defeating Bowser, I like it better to just have a post-game level where the resolution takes place rather than it going back to other levels. Seeing all of the characters you have encountered throughout your adventure throughout the galaxies join you in the Mushroom Kingdom is definitely a sight to behold.

Praise Euterpe
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
She / Her
There are those annoying secret 3D Mario levels that crank up the difficulty to 11.
Ha. Reminds me of Sunshine. It's been forever since I played through that game, but I remember those "Secret of" levels giving me all kinds of trouble. I'm not particularly good at video games, though, so that might have something to do with it. lol

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/him
Ha. Reminds me of Sunshine. It's been forever since I played through that game, but I remember those "Secret of" levels giving me all kinds of trouble. I'm not particularly good at video games, though, so that might have something to do with it. lol
I remember those. Not helping the fact is that you have to beat them twice, but at least the second time you have F.L.U.D.D.

Reaction score
No, you don't have to beat them twice. The minimum requirement is to defeat Shadow Mario in each major level, the secret levels second shines don't block you from them as you're just getting red coins in a time limit.

dig

itadakimasu
Reaction score
The weakest element of Cyberpunk 2077 is probably it's story. It's glitchy, but It doesn't affect me too much, and I'm playing on a base Xbox One. I really enjoy the gameplay, I find the shooting very satisfying, which is what keeps me coming back.

It's a pretty decent game, with an impossible amount of hype, followed by botched release.

Looking for a way to be whole again.
Reaction score
Mysteries related to the main story aren't worth keeping. However, mysteries unrelated to the main story still have their place.

dQw4w9WgXcQ
Reaction score
I know I sound lazy when I say this, but when I play story games, I prefer if they are easy or medium difficulty. There is little situations where I like a challenge. I like it when games are fun and easy-ish. That way I feel like a god when I play it :LOL:

Praise Euterpe
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
She / Her
I know I sound lazy when I say this, but when I play story games, I prefer if they are easy or medium difficulty. There is little situations where I like a challenge. I like it when games are fun and easy-ish. That way I feel like a god when I play it :LOL:
Not all of us play games for the challenge (I don't), so it's nothing to be ashamed of. I know a lot of elitists out there want to act like gaming has no point if it's not challenging. That's... them. Not everyone, and I wish they would realize that and quit being so snobby.