• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Can't say much about DQ's soundtracks, because they are... somehow forgettable. Like... I played most games, but no song stuck out to me. It's like I played them on mute or something.
honestly yeah, as a fan of the dragon quest games, i have to admit the soundtracks are incredibly generic and mostly forgettable. sugiyama was a classically-trained composer and he steadfastly refused to think outside that box, even when other composers started to experiment. admittedly, the early games did some interesting things for video game music at the time, but as sound technology in video games grew more advanced, other composers like Uematsu, Shimomura, and Masuda (among many, many others, those were just the first three to come to mind) were producing much much more creative, memorable and beautiful JRPG soundtracks. sugiyama refused to really experiment at all with instrumentation to the day he died. It didn't help that for most of his life he refused to even allow non-MIDI soundtracks outside of Japan because he was such a racist dick.

i know this kinda sounds awful, but i was actually hoping he would die sooner rather than later so dragon quest could get some music that wasn't A) composed by a racist, holocaust-denying, fascist-sympathizing, homophobic, transphobic, misogynistic sack of feces and B) was actually good.

Dragon Quest XI's the best RPG on the switch imo

Well, to each their own.

To me, what I played of Dragon Quest XI (I got to this big port town, IIRC), I felt like it was very archaic and stuck in the past. It felt like I had to have played the DQ series since the 90s to really appreciate it. To me, coming to it in early 2019, I needed something more modern. The OST, of course, was a part of this. But more than that, the gameplay felt a bit archaic. Sure, it had some neat things like the environments being more 3D than Pokemon could boast at the time (although I saw the game advertised as open world, when it most certainly is not), but for one, the battle system just felt really clunky to me. The primary feeling I got from the game was "stiff".

Also the voice acting is so cheesy, OMG. It's nearly like watching a 4Kids dub.

When it comes to archaic feeling RPGs, I'll take Pokemon. Because I have well over two decades of experience and thus nostalgia with Pokemon. (Of course, I have my limits, which is why I don't ever plan to purchase LGP/E or BD/SP - Nostalgia can not save how cheaply done those are).

Maybe if I had played DQXI more I would have come to appreciate it, but IDK. The jarring OST really hurt my will to keep on playing it.

Why support a character you have no feelings for seems a bit inflated.

Because I care about other people getting their dream characters in? Kinda like when I saw Advance Wars revived, or Metroid Dread. I have no interest in either of those franchises, but I could celebrate that they are getting what they deserve after a very long time.

Is it...inflated... to care about other people getting what they want?

Here I thought I was being less selfish in my interests for once... Being happy for things that aren't for me.

Last edited:
In regards to Dragon Quest, I feel that Dragon Quest 8 is the best game in the series by a mile. Especially the 3DS remake, where it added a bunch of much-needed content to it, such as more backstory for certain characters, new playable characters, and the best ending of all: marrying Jessica. Dragon Quest 8 had much better characters with more memorable personalities, much better voice acting, a more interesting story that slowly but surely snowballs into a pretty sweet journey, a better soundtrack, and just overall a better experience.

Dragon Quest 11 is pretty good but it feels like the franchise is showing its age the most in that game due to the real lack of innovation. And then there's Veronica, my most loathed character in the franchise due to her ear-splitting voice, her high-and-mighty pushy attitude, and was terribly over-specialized in her role as a black mage (even Prince Charmless... I mean Prince Charmles was better than her, and like the rest of the cast I wanted to punt his fat posterior every chance I could get for his self-entitled ego and all the grief he causes).

While Dragon Quest 11 was an okay game, it was really starting to show the rather archaic nature of the Dragon Quest franchise by that point. On top of that, it was Dragon Quest 8 that pretty much saved the franchise when it hit a terrible low point that was Dragon Quest 7, especially in the west, so that's another feather in Dragon Quest 8's cap.

So, overall, I feel that Dragon Quest 8 is the best game in the series by far.

FNAF: Security Breach shouldn't lock a player out of saving the game after choosing to stay, especially with all the bugs the game has.

Don't think I can talk about a game that's not out yet, but while I want to give the upcoming (and delayed) Dragon Quest game based on the Dai's Adventure anime a try, I have mixed feelings about the combat becoming real time.
Oh God... why? The fact that Dragon Quest is not real time like most recent RPGs was a selling point for me.

Can we go back in time when games like that weren't indie games that referenced the 8 and 16-bit era.

The turn-based battle system is actually one way I found DQXI archaic. Perhaps it's unfair to say that the battle system has no value in modern games. I do not mind it as much in Pokemon or Persona. I think the problem with DQXI's system that irked me was that for some reason we can run around during the battle, but...for what reason? It made me think that walking around allowed for dodging attacks or so, but that wasn't the case in my experience. You can just run around for...whatever reason. K.

The turn-based battle system is actually one way I found DQXI archaic. Perhaps it's unfair to say that the battle system has no value in modern games. I do not mind it as much in Pokemon or Persona. I think the problem with DQXI's system that irked me was that for some reason we can run around during the battle, but...for what reason? It made me think that walking around allowed for dodging attacks or so, but that wasn't the case in my experience. You can just run around for...whatever reason. K.
Huh? That's weird... At least in DQIX it was automatic and part of the attack animations (think Pokémon Battle Revolution), not something you could do for... aesthetics? Whatever they were trying there.

Fortnite needs to stop relying on all these crossovers to stay relevant and forge its own identity. It honestly feels like it doesn't have an identity of its own and its just about the crossovers.
I mean, I'm pretty sure that's the point. I legitimately don't think they care about anything else.

Fortnite needs to stop relying on all these crossovers to stay relevant and forge its own identity. It honestly feels like it doesn't have an identity of its own and its just about the crossovers.
That's the thing about Fortnite whenever it showed up in the middle of the night and the next day it was popular. It was always cringe unoriginal meme game with no identity of its own, nothing about it was original and just want one thing, money.

Super Paper Mario is a fantastic game and I’m not sorry about it
Very late but people have to know I agree with this. Super Paper Mario is so goooood <3 One of my favorite games of all time. The same is true of Origami King, although I'm not sure how unpopular that is. Definitely my two favorite Paper Mario titles, though.

I never finished The Origami King, but my lasting impression is that it's the best story you could possibly tell with the "literal paper" gimmick.

After getting back to Rock Band and Clone Hero I can say this:

The WaveGroup/Steve Ouimette/Line 6 covers were not bad. I feel people do tend to hate on them because it's not the original versions of the songs. I remember someone complaining about WaveGroup's cover of "Juke Box Hero", but after listening it I... don't find anything wrong with it. In fact, I found the singer to be pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom