• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

After getting back to Rock Band and Clone Hero I can say this:

The WaveGroup/Steve Ouimette/Line 6 covers were not bad. I feel people do tend to hate on them because it's not the original versions of the songs. I remember someone complaining about WaveGroup's cover of "Juke Box Hero", but after listening it I... don't find anything wrong with it. In fact, I found the singer to be pretty good.
Steve Ouimette and WaveGroup (not sure about Line 6) were also responsible for the covers in Guitar Hero III, weren't they? I'm not sure what's to hate there. I thought most of the Guitar Hero III covers were great.

Steve Ouimette and WaveGroup (not sure about Line 6) were also responsible for the covers in Guitar Hero III, weren't they? I'm not sure what's to hate there. I thought most of the Guitar Hero III covers were great.
Yup. Plus WaveGroup did the covers for the previous Guitar Heroes and Rock Band. Line 6 only helped with one or two covers for Guitar Hero On Tour (only one I can recall is Rock and Roll All Nite).

The only ones I can say might have been botched were "Beast and the Harlot" (there's auto-tune there from what I can here), "Laid to Rest" (although that might be my anti-groove metal bias) and "Killing in the Name" (singer sounds like a bored Anthony Kiedis).

I think I also disliked the cover of "Take Me Out", but I don't remember it much.

The original Spyro the Dragon's soundtrack is... meh. It's fine to listen to, but all the tracks blend together after a while. Enter the Dragonfly, on the other hand, has one of my favourite soundtracks in gaming.

Ganondorf as a villain has been overused at this point. While he is the cornerstone of evil in the Zelda series, it's a shame that the only major thing he's now known for is his beast version. I hope the sequel to Breath of the Wild keeps its promise to show what his Gerudo form is capable of while not relying on his beast form to show him as a threat.

I liked Ace Attorney Dual Destinies. I can see why people disliked it but I actually enjoyed at least playing through it. I may be a bit biased though because of the NASA parody. I actually grew up going to the NASA space center because my mom worked there and so I was just excited for the astronaut plot the entire time haha

I liked Dual Destinies myself. It's not my favorite Ace Attorney by a long shot (Phoenix Wright trilogy and Great Ace Attorney Chronicles my beloveds) but I didn't hate it either (minus the second case which bored the hell out of me haha).

My least favorite thus far is Apollo Justice, which seems to be a pretty unpopular opinion in and of itself. I like Apollo's character so he isn't the issue, I just...didn't think the game was that interesting up until the final case. I haven't gotten around to checking out Spirit of Justice yet, but I've heard mixed things about it so who knows, maybe that'll wind up being my least favorite instead.

I haven't played Dual Destinies yet despite owning it. I should really rectify that. I only played the very very beginning, and that was mainly to download the DLC before the eShop closes.

I know a lot of people got into Fire Emblem through Awakening, but I find both the story and the gameplay of Awakening mediocre. The gameplay is either brainlessly easy in Normal/Hard modes, or borderline unwinnable in Lunatic mode. The story and the main characters (and Lucina in particular) actually feels inoffensive even by FE standards, doesn't have the level of worldbuilding of past games, and yet isn't the level of hot garbage of Fates Conquest that makes me laugh at stupid Corrin.

Aside from Lucina, I never really liked Eliwood in Blazing Blade as well. The few games I played, he's not only too inoffensive, but he's also borderline naive at times, like his battle speech against Eric in the fourth chapter of his part of the game.
At least Roy seems more grounded and actually took on Bern with a coalition.
At least with Corrin, I could laugh at their stupidity.
At least with Dimitri, you get to see his unhinged personality and how he struggles to fit in with his cutthroat world.
At least with Edelgard, you get someone who's fighting for her noble if extremist beliefs and isn't afraid to be hated for it.

Last edited:
Mario Kart Tour might be…good actually?

I’m still not a fan of the gacha model and haven’t explored it fully, but it controls pretty well and I’m having a fun time with it even not having a lot of characters, karts, etc yet.

kirby star allies wasn't really that bad? i see it talked shit about a lot (to the point i once saw it called the second worst mainline kirby game, the only game behind it being the original kirby's dreamland) but i think it's a fine enough game, even before the updates (i technically got the game after wave 1 had come out but whatever) i still liked it. hell, honestly forgotten land felt shorter IMO granted that could come down to me getting it during spring break + a certain ability just fucking DESTROYS what's supposed to be the game's biggest challenges (the health ups also help in cheesing it like hell, especially if you have a kirby amiibo which i do).

also, i do NOT get the hype behind marx. magolor is one thing since he did have a presence throughout the whole game but not only does marx only appear in one sub-game, dude didn't even betray you really it's more like if some guy was like "hey you're running low on milk you should go get some" and then when you went to go get the milk he stabbed you if that makes sense.
I haven't gotten around to checking out Spirit of Justice yet, but I've heard mixed things about it so who knows, maybe that'll wind up being my least favorite instead.
SOJ is definitely kinda eeeehh at points (the first case in particular is. not good) but at the very least i'd say case 2 and the dlc case are bangers, without going into MAJOR spoilers case 5 is fun cause i played the damn game and i'm still not entirely sure what the timeline of events there was. also yeah i liked dual destinies, granted athena is what really got me into aa so ig i'm kinda biased. honestly i know it's probably excluding spinoffs but i cannot imagine saying the worst AA game is anything other than investigations 1 for how boring it is, or hell, even DGS1 for its story being flat-out unfinished until the sequel came out. actually kinda fucked up how out of the aa spinoffs both of them had kinda shit first games and then PHENOMENAL sequels (i've heard DGS2 is good atleast, i admittedly only got like halfway through it before i just didn't have the time/motivation to play it anymore)

I think I remember liking Investigations 1, but then came the last case... I don't know, but it felt like an eternity to finish it.
turnabout ablaze is almost a so bad it's good case imo because like. i KNEW it was long and even then it still felt like. so much longer than i expected. i think it's mainly the fact that 1. probably the singular best part of the case (and the game as a whole imo) happens only like halfway through, and 2. there's an entire chunk of the case where you know who did it but they won't admit it so you just spend SO LONG doing the video game equivalent of "are we there yet?". that said, the initial experience whether you're first going through it yourself or watching someone else's first time with it is goddamn hilarious. the rest of AAI1 just felt kinda bland imo, except for case 4 that is that one was good. it's a shame too, kay and lang are neat but again they're stuck spending most of their time in pretty mediocre cases (lang ESPECIALLY, kay atleast got the rest of AAI2 to do things)

more people should give the Wild Arms series a try. granted, i haven't touched 1 and 2, but 3 onwards is a must play experience imo. i will admit that as super old ps2-era games, one might have to seek... alternative ways to play them, but i think they're worth it. you have a main cast that's more or less interesting across all three games (to be clear, it's a different main cast for all three), an intriguing plot (WA4 can be... rather questionable because it paints over all its struggles with "adults are bad", sooo), and a rather fun battle system (4 and 5 have this grid-based battle system, 3 has a tried and true turn-based system that many have seen before).

kinda wish we got more WA games because filgaia really is a fun world to explore with all of its lore and depth.

MegaMan Battle Chip Challenge is an overlooked spinoff in the MegaMan Battle Network franchise. Sure, it's gameplay is very simple at first glance, and it's the most RNG heavy game in the franchise, but it's actually not as bad as everyone says it is. For starters, it's the first Battle Network game where you can plan as someone other than Lan/MegaMan (specifically, Mayl, Dex, Chaud, and two newcomers Kai and Mary), which gives the game some interesting replay value (and it gives you two save slots which make said replay value more worthwhile). The story is also one big love letter to Chaud, which makes it rather interesting, as Chaud doesn't get much focus normally.

While the mechanics seem simple it's actually a lot more strategic than at first glace. For starters, you can win not just by logging out your opponent but deleting as many of their chips as possible within the 10 turn timeframe. Navis now gain their own version of STAB, where a Navi matching the element of the chip will increase its power by 60%. Combine that with type effectiveness (another 60% boost), field advantage (ie: Elec attacks on Aluminum or Ice panels or Fire attacks on Grass increase the damage by another 60%), and the ability to destroy the opponent's deck gives the game a decent amount of creative depth. Chips also have a priority rating, which determines their turn order, especially when type advantage is used (ie: an Elec chip will have higher priority if it's facing off against an Aqua chip). And you can use other Navis in place of your "starter" like ElecMan, WoodMan, FireMan, SkullMan a bunch of Normal Navis, Style Changes and even Bass himself. Plus, since you have to work with limited memory space (that grows as you continue to win tournaments) you need to pack your folder and build your deck effectively, even making use of fodder chips like Panel Grab and Recover 30 due to them have 0 MB required, allowing more memory room for chips you need and acting as damage sponges for certain attacks.

While it has its obvious flaws (the most RNG heavy gameplay ever, recycled assets from the first 3 BN games, no solo Navis sans Bass, DesertMan missing despite having a NetOp, not considered canon, no PAs, etc), it's still an interesting and creative game that can offer a decent challenge and requires more strategy than just relying on streamlined Chip Codes.

(i've heard DGS2 is good atleast, i admittedly only got like halfway through it before i just didn't have the time/motivation to play it anymore)
Oh DGS2 is definitely far better than DGS1 by a longshot. I'd say it's my favorite entry in the series overall, although I also really love Trials and Tribulations...it's pretty close.

Arms is a fun game. Lacking on content, sure. But I’ve had a few spurts of consistent playing with it and thoroughly enjoyed all of them. It deserves a sequel.

Back
Top Bottom