• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Steel_Justice

Forged in Combat
Reaction score
Since TV/Film/Music has one of these might as well start one here too. Please keep Pokemon related examples to its own thread.

Anyway here's some of mine to get started.

GTA 5 Online is pretty overrated. Too much grinding, griefers, annoying little kids and other mechanics that make things inconvenient.

Castlevania Curse of Darkness is an awesome game and it should be ported into the PS3

Mortal Kombat > Street Fighter

Almost every other Final Fantasy installment > Final Fantasy 13

Final Fantasy 7 was good but not so good its god's gift to gaming.

GTA5: Heists were hyped too much and imo are pretty crap. Whether thats unpopular or not idk.

Bowser Jr. Is overrated.

I am not looking forward to MKX

Hopefully I can post some more bigger Points later.

The Elder Scrolls Games are incredibly boring and uninteresting

Final Fantasy 12 is the worst game in the series

Borderlands is not funny

Last edited:
GTA 5 online is boring as hell. It's a bunch of people in cars harassing other people in cars.
Toy Story 2 for PS1 is a solid, but repetitive game. Quite enjoyable.
A Bug's Life for PS1 is probably the best PS1 movie tie in game, good graphics for it's time, nice voice acting, lovely environments. Solid game.
Pokemon Shuffle is enjoyable, but heavily flawed by it's waiting times and in-game currency systems.
Best Crash Bandicoot game is definitely the first - Crash 2 had way too many similar levels.

Final Fantasy 10 is one of the worst Final Fantasy games - It pains me to say this because the gameplay and music is really good, but the story and characters are awful (except Auron and Jecht) and the voice acting is some of the worst i ever heard. And the worst part about this game is Tidus - good god, what an atrocious protagonist, it's easily one of the worst protagonists in video gaming. He's an unlikable, cocky, moron who never shuts the hell up and it's the main reason why i'm never replaying this game.

There are worse games in the series (Final Fantasy 13), but this game is up there as one of the worst in the series for me.

Tales of Symphonia is over hyped, the sequel was better.

I have an odd liking of Shadow the Hedgehog (the game)

- Call of Duty is fun to play
- Mario Kart 64 is really outdated, still fun but kind of ugly and not really designed well.
- Crash Bandicoot 1 was just boring and dull. Crash Bandicoot 3 is where it is at
- Spyro the Dragon > Crash Bandicoot
- Tekken was better in its earlier years until PS3 came out
- Super Mario 64 didn't need ports
- Wii Sports tennis was horrible. It wasn't realistic at all
- Wii wasn't as fun of a console as I thought it would be.
- Super Mario Galaxy and its sequels were really unenjoyable as a whole.
- Gran Turismo and Forza have too many cars and not enough circuits.
- Wario Land II & III was the best thing Wario was in ever

I didn't hate Final Fantasy XIII. Okay, so it doesn't live up to the franchise's gargantuan legacy, but for a player with little to no experience with the rest of the games, it was fairly entertaining. Also, the music is one of the best parts of the game... don't know if that's unpopular or not though.

Graphics shmaphics. While I appreciate a pretty, polished look, it ought to be the icing on the cake and not the actual cake itself. If I wanted a pretty sight, I'd go take a walk outside. Gameplay, story, characters and music make the game, not the appearance.

I liked the majority of Gen V Pokemon.

Casual Mode in Fire Emblem Awakening was a good idea. It gave the game accessibility to newcomers (or people who just didn't want to soft-reset constantly) and probably was a factor in the game's overall success. And it's OPTIONAL, so why do elite hardcore fans whine about it so much??

I don't mind the clones in Super Smash Bros 4. (Probably because I like most of the characters that happened to get copy-pasted movesets.)

3DS is better than Vita. Why? It has a lot more games, with a wide variety and good quality. Its usefulness isn't tied to an expensive home console either.

The Gamecube was Nintendo's best console, and the Wii the poorest (excluding the Virtual Boy, which I have no experience with).

The DS had a very small amount of enjoyable titles beyond Pokemon. The 3DS blows it out of the water in quality games.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, while still fun, do not deserve to be compared to Super Mario 64 and Sunshine. The Galaxy series is much closer to 3D Land/World. The main difference being that 3D Land/World own up to the linear level designs, and add further aspects of 2D Mario series. And honestly, I cringe at the thought of a Galaxy 3.

Twilight Princess was a great game, I enjoyed it much more than Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.

Graphics and environment (including music) are a big part of my enjoyment of a video game. By that I don't mean hyper-realism, I mean quality graphics.

- After how Mr Miyamoto made that mind-boggling announcement of "no story in Mario", I want someone else to direct the Mario franchise. Either have Eiji Aonuma from Zelda (or someone from Fire Emblem) take over, and expand the story-based approach further that Mario Galaxy started with. Because, seriously? Did Mr Miyamoto not get the memo from the BAFTA committee? Did he not get the memo that the Galaxy sold millions?
...Otherwise I'm quite happy for that franchise to fold.

I would really like to see a remake of Fire Emblem Jugdral.

Casual Mode in Fire Emblem Awakening was a good idea. It gave the game accessibility to newcomers (or people who just didn't want to soft-reset constantly) and probably was a factor in the game's overall success. And it's OPTIONAL, so why do elite hardcore fans whine about it so much??
I shall second this opinion! Don't use CM if you don't like it.

I really wished Caeda (FE) actually appeared in Smash Bros Brawl.

On a more fan-based note, you know the Girl Power stage with Peach/Zelda/Samus in Melee? I totally would have liked to see an fanart/comic of the three being clobbered by:
- Caeda/Lilina (FE)
- Misty and her Kyogre (Pokémon)
- Paula or Kumatora with their PSI (Mother 2+3)
...and the stage taken over by the latter three while they prey on other unsuspecting SSB characters. I'm surprised this isn't around on deviantart.

Fire Emblem Awakening is easily one of the worst in the franchise. It is by no means a terrible game, but it disappoints me now upon replaying it.

Fire Emblem Jugdral doesn't need a remake. Its good as is.

I don't have a problem with COD or GTA or the like. Not my cup of tea, but it isn't terrible.

Minecraft is just awful.

Here's the big one that will earn me the ire of the internet in its entirety. Here goes.

I HATE Mother with a bitter passion.

I tried both Earthbound and 3, but I could never really get into it. It was just so unappealing to me. The characters honestly weren't terribly memorable, the music was awful, and combat was just dull. In contrast to the Internet's cheers, I screamed with anger seeing Lucas' return to Smash and honestly had something of a breakdown (In other words, I overreacted). I am never buying his DLC, not in a million years.

- Tried Earthbound for the first time because I like the character of Ness in Smash Bros. I didn't like it.
- I also tried the Mega Man Battle Network series for the first time. I didn't like it, either.
- Actually, come to think of it, I am not fond of RPGs, period. The only one I ever got into was Pokemon. Go figure.
- I hate Conker's Bad Fur Day with a passion! What a mean-spirited, horrible game. I was looking forward to Conker having his own game during the beta stages of Twelve Tales only for them to turn it into something more "adult." To say I was disappointed is an understatement.
- I like the Doki Doki Panic version of Super Mario Bros 2 more than the original SMB 2 and Super Mario Bros 3. I wish Nintendo would do more stuff like this.
- I like Banjo-Kazooie better than Banjo-Tooie. While it wasn't bad, I hated the ungodly amount of backtracking. That is an automatic downgrade for me when it comes to intense backtracking, especially in a platformer.

- Actually, come to think of it, I am not fond of RPGs, period. The only one I ever got into was Pokemon. Go figure.

I hear you! The only RPGs that I can ever really say that I have absolutely adored aside from Pokemon would be the Mario RPGs, excluding Super Mario RPG (there's an unpopular opinion =P). Paper Mario and its GCN sequel (The Thousand Year Door) are both amazing, and the Mario and Luigi series, at least before Bowser's Inside Story (haven't played any beyond that) are pretty good, too.

The only other straight-up RPGs I have ever even enjoyed have Golden Sun, but even so that series tended to get on my nerves at times. (Still love Isaac and want him in SSB3DS/U above anyone else, though. xD)

I happen to like both JRPGs AND WRPGs. Both sides of the Pacific and beyond make great RPGs in their own rights, and as long as the game's setting, story, and characters are well-written and memorable, they're all simply just "RPGs" to me.

Tried GTA 5 Online, and was just constantly trolled by little twerps who should use that energy for something more productive. I didn't like it, anyway. I'd rather just play the regular campaign.

I really really dislike the original Kingdom Hearts, I found it boring and clunky. I however was a fan of KH2

Back
Top Bottom