• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

That's one of those many 3DS games I wanted to try someday but fell out of my radar over time because there are just sooo many 3DS games to try/buy.

I'm not complaining - It's a good problem to have. I wish I could say the same for my Switch, honestly. It's not getting much playtime from me despite being so nice to play on. Hopefully next year gets better with Animal Crossing and Pokemon.

I liked The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Much more than its predecessor, Ocarina of Time.
I agree 100%! Having played the two most recently, I consider basically everything about Majora's Mask better than in OoT.
The plot, the dungeons, the bosses, characters... I love MM. Glad to hear someone likes it too.(y)

I don't know if the game's old enough for this to be controversial or not, or whether this was controversial simply by the fact that it exists, but: I don't really like the Smash bar in Ultimate. Only really because there's no way to stop the Final Smash outside of killing the opponent, which isn't always an easy thing to do. With a normal Smash Ball, you can beat it out of them so long as you can keep up an offensive for a little bit, so it still feels fair. But they keep the bar smash until they die, making it feel like a cheap, free Final Smash.

I don't know if the game's old enough for this to be controversial or not, or whether this was controversial simply by the fact that it exists, but: I don't really like the Smash bar in Ultimate. Only really because there's no way to stop the Final Smash outside of killing the opponent, which isn't always an easy thing to do. With a normal Smash Ball, you can beat it out of them so long as you can keep up an offensive for a little bit, so it still feels fair. But they keep the bar smash until they die, making it feel like a cheap, free Final Smash.
Tbh.. It's likely not going to be allowed in Competitive play for being difficult to handle with.. Some of them like Zelda's and Bayo's also auto kill at or above 100 on the final hit. If you use it when the opponent has 80% then gg. They'll get enough enough hits to get over 100..

Though I will say that i kinda wish the Air dodging weren't as punishing. Accidentally air dodging off the platform equals a lost stock which imo is kinda bs

The Mario series (the normal ones) are not as good as people think. Also, I find it kinda weird that Waluigi, a divisive character in the Mario fandom, is one of the most requested characters in Smash. I hope he stays as an Assist Trophy

Squeak Squad is my favorite Kirby game while Planet Robobot is my least favorite in the series, though I do like Susie from that game at least.

Azura is a terrible character in FE Fates, she's only good as an early dancer.

To follow the above bards need to be used outside of the Jugdral and Elibe games, make them like the male equivalent dancers like in Elibe or alternatively just give them magic like in the Jugdral games. There is no excuse for Inigo to not be a bard at least in Awakening, especially since they made him a dancer only in Heroes.

Speaking of Heroes, Mikoto does not deserve to be in it. She's a NPC that dies very early on, any other character not in yet could've taken her spot and rightfully so.

I actually like the Dynasty and Samurai Warriors series.

Sonic and Cloud from FFVII are really, really overrated. Specially Cloud. I prefer every single other FF protagonist over him (except Noctis since I have not played FFXV, so I don't know his personality).

(Don't know if this is unpopular) Cloud should be nerfed in Smash. When someone that's as bad in Smash as me plays well with someone, you know there's a problem.

I like having a CPU vs CPU mode in my fighting games since I like to play to tournaments with them.

can you also put down games that you kind of liked but did not like a certain mechanic of the game that spoiled it for you?

such as Mario and sonic (original games) where when you lost you had to start right back at stage 1.

I loved those games but trying to do that as a kid really hurt.

I forgot to add this in my last post but eh, anyway this is mostly unpopular in most of the FE community but I want to see other fantasy races in the games. Like elves, dwarves, orcs, unicorns, etc. Yet people claim they are too generic, true they are in a lot of fantasy series, but really dragons, pegasi, people with animal characteristics changing into a big animal, and zombies aren't generic and overused? Come on. Besides they don't have to be in every single installment, similar to what they did with the zombies appearing in Gaiden/SoV, Sacred Stones, and Awakening. I love the series don't get me wrong, but it isn't that unique with it's fantasy.

I forgot to add this in my last post but eh, anyway this is mostly unpopular in most of the FE community but I want to see other fantasy races in the games. Like elves, dwarves, orcs, unicorns, etc. Yet people claim they are too generic, true they are in a lot of fantasy series, but really dragons, pegasi, people with animal characteristics changing into a big animal, and zombies aren't generic and overused? Come on. Besides they don't have to be in every single installment, similar to what they did with the zombies appearing in Gaiden/SoV, Sacred Stones, and Awakening. I love the series don't get me wrong, but it isn't that unique with it's fantasy.
I actually agree with this. Give us something that is not anime dude/gal #35. Doesn't help that most MCs as far as I recall are blue-haired people.

Yet another one where I'm really not sure of the general consensus of the opinion: I hate danger zones in Smash. Even when I'm playing with
Smash Balls on, or even items in general, I still want the kills to be fair. If I died because you threw a Bob-Omb at me and I wasn't fast enough to dodge/block it, then that's on me. If I die because you got the Smash Ball, triggered it without any real risk, and killed me just because I was on, like, 80% when you used it, then that's actually pretty damn cheap. If you're able to avoid a decent number of attacks, then 80, 90, even over 100% isn't really that dangerous if you know what you're doing. This sort of thing from Ridley or someone isn't *too* bad, since the Final Smash can be avoided with good timing and evasion. It's when you start getting to shit like Zelda's Final Smash with that absurd level of pull, and shit like Death's Scythe, where you can casually spit out danger zones with all the speed of a tilt attack, that I start really calling your bullshit.

I'm not as big a fan of the Final Fantasy plots, even if I enjoy the gameplay.

Final Fantasy 6: "Let's save the world from an evil empire! Well, f%&^, we screwed it up!"

FF7: "Ecoterrorism will save the world!"

FF8: Something about time travel and sorcery?

FF9: I completely lost the plot of this one halfway through.

FF10: You're an escaped dream of a long-dead civilization. The sequel is even weirder.

FF12: I don't even remember what the plot was, but I know there was a princess involved.

FF13: "The gods are cruel bastards who want us to kill other gods."

FF15: A Shakespeare play.

I don't know how unpopular this is, but I'm gonna say it anyway: I absolutely DESPISE Atelier Escha and Logy's opening theme song. I love the game, but the intro song sucks. The guitar is so grating on the ears, the singer can't sing for the life of her, and the visuals for the opening only show the two main characters walking and throwing their hands out along with some Shaft-like imagery, that's it. It really says something when I prefer Mana Khemia 1's opening cutscene, which didn't have great animation, but the song is an absolute masterwork. Thank God Atelier Shallie also had a much better opening song compared to E&L.

I dislike Final Fantasy Tactics for PS1. Aside from the great difficulty, to the point you can lose in your first battle, it almost looked like it started the "religion of evil" cliché in JRPGs. I know Breath of Fire did that first, but I guess people tend to remember the most popular example. The Final Fantasy XIII series is a close second since it sometimes seems like an Author Tract.

EDIT: Or was it Shin Megami Tensei 1? Because I think I remember something about a cult there.

Back
Top Bottom