• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

I just don't get the idea of playable Salmonids in Splatoon, they don't have an Inkling version of them, while not impossible for them to exist, I just question that in terms of lore, why would an Inkling version of them exist if they're able to keep their great numbers high despite Inklings and Octolings splatting them for their eggs.

I liked Final Fantasy VIII and Type-0 more over Final Fantasy VII. I like FFVII and it's characters but I got attached to the characters in VIII and Type-0 more with the latter game being my top favorite in the series, though IV was my first FF and one I played with my father so it and Cecil will always have a special place in my heart. To follow I think Squall, Ace, Noctis, and Ramza (not sure if it's unpopular for the last character though) are awesome protagonists in the series as well, and yes I like their personalities.

FFX-2 wasn't a bad game imo, same with the XIII trilogy, they're not my top favorites in the series but I still had fun with them regardless.

Faye in FE Echoes was a mistake, which is a shame since her design is cute and her voice isn't bad, and I like Berkut, Rinea, Conrad, and Fernand as well as the DLC characters from the card game who are all new characters, but the personality she got stuck with is horrible. Seriously how are you gonna have her pine for Alm throughout the whole game even though he and Celica, you know, get together anyway? And her ending, if you have her alive when you beat the game, is so horrible to her husband and family I mean really: "Unable to get Alm out of her mind, Faye returned to her old life in Ram Village. Eventually, she met and married a suitor who claimed he did not mind her pining for the king, though her habit of vanishing without notice for days at a time continued to worry her new family." <- that's not healthy, and an actual relationship wouldn't last long if that kept happening. I really want to like her, and hate is a strong word but I still dislike her, but if she didn't keep talking about/pining for Alm too much I would have probably liked her more. (and yes I do feel similar with other characters like her too unless they are done well)

To follow with Echoes, I wish Alm kept his aggressive personality from Gaiden in the remake to compliment Celica's more calmer personality. He still could have his goofy and idealistic moments at times, and I do still like him in Echoes, but I miss hardass Alm.

More on the explanation on why I'd rather they keep the humanoid ink based species being exclusively cephalopods is just to keep the diversity within the games, if every Splatoon species had an Inkling equivalent, it would eventually get old and become boring since the uniqueness of the cephalopods would fade.

I liked Final Fantasy VIII and Type-0 more over Final Fantasy VII. I like FFVII and it's characters but I got attached to the characters in VIII and Type-0 more with the latter game being my top favorite in the series, though IV was my first FF and one I played with my father so it and Cecil will always have a special place in my heart. To follow I think Squall, Ace, Noctis, and Ramza (not sure if it's unpopular for the last character though) are awesome protagonists in the series as well, and yes I like their personalities.

FFX-2 wasn't a bad game imo, same with the XIII trilogy, they're not my top favorites in the series but I still had fun with them regardless.
1. Have not played FFT-0, but I agree that FFVIII is better than FFVII. I might have a slight bias since FFVIII was my first RPG, and the fact that FFVII was a trainwreck at certain parts (Helletic? Safer? Really?) and the fugly Popeye models. There's also the fact that it's pretty overhyped. And the fact it replaced Bartz and Terra as the Final Fantasy character in Smash. I guess it might be an extreme dislike towards Cloud, though.

2. From the few things I recall from FFX-2, I liked it. It was nice they went back to levels in that game. Sadly, I'm trapped with the normal version and not the HD one because I don't have enough memory for it.

Final Fantasy V is pretty damn good. I hear people hate it because "it's not serious", but that's exactly the reason I like it. It's nice to see a character that's not depressed, edgy or a "sad clown" to put it in some way.

It's too bad that we won't get another joke-y Final Fantasy main title.
I really like FFV too, in fact that's even my dad's favorite installment since he really likes Bartz.

For me I also like FF Mystic Quest, though sometimes I see some people say it isn't a real FF. Personally I enjoyed it!

I really like FFV too, in fact that's even my dad's favorite installment since he really likes Bartz.

For me I also like FF Mystic Quest, though sometimes I see some people say it isn't a real FF. Personally I enjoyed it!

I liked Mystic Quest as well! The music's great, and while the storyline is very simple, it's still cute and fun! No annoying characters, no taking 10-15 minutes to set up your party, and if you want to go somewhere, you just get up and go. Pure mindless fun. I'm glad I got it on the Wii Virtual Console last year. I'm kinda surprised it isn't on newer platforms, like Steam or PS Vita.

I liked Heroes of Might and Magic 2 more than 3, and really liked Heroes 4, but not more than 3 and 2.

I do believe in general 4 recieved too much hate and pushback than it deserves.

I also think soundtrack in Heroes 2 was better than the one in 3.

I also have developed an odd affection for Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, dunno if that's controversial or not, but I actually like Centauri a lot, lot more than Civilization 5.

I might give it a try later, since that's one of the few spin-offs I have not tried.
I'd definitely recommend it, it's like what Juliko said simple story but cute and fun characters, there also isn't any brooding characters (or similar) either. It also isn't really hard but some battles can be a bit challenging if you aren't prepared (so pretty much like most other RPG battles lol). Benjamin is actually up there in my favorite FF protagonists despite how unpopular that might be.

Valkyria Chronicles 2 is my favorite one of the series. People really seem to down that one (mostly because of the high school aspect of it), but I liked the main cast of that one the most (Avan is the best protagonist of the games, Cosette is cute, and Zeri is great), it still packed an emotional punch when it needed to, and I had the most fun with the gameplay in that one.

On a related aside, I know the original Valkyria Chronicles is like the golden goose of the series, but honestly I think Welkin and Alicia are pretty boring, and only really Rosie was interesting of the main cast.

Something I don't understand is... People in SMITE groups on social media are complaining about how King Arthur and Merlin aren't gods. I mean, Ratatoskr is a squirrel, Medusa is a gorgon, Fafnir is a dwarf who turns into a dragon, Arachne was a woman who got turned into a spider, Cerberus is a three-headed gaurd dog with a snake tail, Guan Yu was an ancient Chinese warlord, Da Ji was an emperor's concubine with a lot of mythos surrounding her, Ymir was a frost giant, Kuzenbo is a kappa, Bakasura and Ravana are both demons, as is Kumbhakarna. Scylla was a sea monster, Xbalanque, Achilles, Cu Chulainn, and Hou Yi, just heroes with divine blood, similar to Hercules, Xing Tian is a monster, Sun Wukong is a monkey king, Chiron is a centaur, Fenrir and Jormungandr are Loki's sons but they're more monster than god. So yeah., the point is Hi-Rez uses the term "Gods" very loosely.

Something I don't understand is... People in SMITE groups on social media are complaining about how King Arthur and Merlin aren't gods. I mean, Ratatoskr is a squirrel, Medusa is a gorgon, Fafnir is a dwarf who turns into a dragon, Arachne was a woman who got turned into a spider, Cerberus is a three-headed gaurd dog with a snake tail, Guan Yu was an ancient Chinese warlord, Da Ji was an emperor's concubine with a lot of mythos surrounding her, Ymir was a frost giant, Kuzenbo is a kappa, Bakasura and Ravana are both demons, as is Kumbhakarna. Scylla was a sea monster, Xbalanque, Achilles, Cu Chulainn, and Hou Yi, just heroes with divine blood, similar to Hercules, Xing Tian is a monster, Sun Wukong is a monkey king, Chiron is a centaur, Fenrir and Jormungandr are Loki's sons but they're more monster than god. So yeah., the point is Hi-Rez uses the term "Gods" very loosely.

Ratatoskr, Guan Yu, Da Ji (arguably), Ymir, Ravana, Cu Chulainn, Hou Yi, Hercules, Xin Tian, Sun Wukong, Chiron, Fenrir, and Jormungandr are all actually gods. Most of those were considered actual gods, or thought to be avatars of deities incarnate (similar to Jesus). Just that "god" varied a lot from culture to culture for what counted. Guan Yu and Da Ji both count, despite being real people, because they were deified and worshiped in real life.

I'm not disagreeing with you on them playing loose with the term; just pointing out there's fewer non-gods in the game than you thought :p

The Super Mario Galaxy games are the worst 3D Mario games and the least fun to play. Whenever they get mentioned as the best Mario games (which I see a LOT), it always kind of blows my mind.

I also don't think the soundtrack for them is that great either. Very... same-y a lot? And not very memorable. I can think of songs from 64, Sunshine, 3D World, and Odyssey off-hand that I like, but I really can't do that for either Galaxy game. Only thing I really like from Galaxy is the debut of Rosalina.

Back
Top Bottom