• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

The Super Mario Galaxy games are the worst 3D Mario games and the least fun to play. Whenever they get mentioned as the best Mario games (which I see a LOT), it always kind of blows my mind.

I also don't think the soundtrack for them is that great either. Very... same-y a lot? And not very memorable. I can think of songs from 64, Sunshine, 3D World, and Odyssey off-hand that I like, but I really can't do that for either Galaxy game. Only thing I really like from Galaxy is the debut of Rosalina.
Agree, I liked 64, feel positive towards Sunshine, but Galaxy and its sequel made me give up on Mario 3D platformers. I guess it's because they felt too linear and the first one had that unforgivable "get 50 purple coins on top of a Luigi sprite" star, specially since the green tiles disappeared once you touched them. I guess I'll go back once I get a Switch and Galaxy.

The Super Mario Galaxy games are the worst 3D Mario games and the least fun to play. Whenever they get mentioned as the best Mario games (which I see a LOT), it always kind of blows my mind.

I also don't think the soundtrack for them is that great either. Very... same-y a lot? And not very memorable. I can think of songs from 64, Sunshine, 3D World, and Odyssey off-hand that I like, but I really can't do that for either Galaxy game. Only thing I really like from Galaxy is the debut of Rosalina.

THANK YOU. Galaxy and especially Galaxy 2 were honestly pretty dull, gameplay wise. I did like Galaxy's soundtrack, admittedly, but I can't even think of any tracks from Galaxy 2 off the top of my head.

I love all the other Mario platformers, but I really thought Galaxy and its sequel fell kind of flat :/

ALSO I agree with prog rocker - it was WAY too linear. Like...hello? We're in space!! It should have been much more open world than it was, but ultimately it was way too restrictive and kept it from being really enjoyable. Like it's honestly such a shame because I feel like these games could have been REALLY freaking good, but they wound up being so disappointing to me (especially in the case of Galaxy 2 which I found so boring I couldn't even come close to finishing it).

Last edited:
From a storytelling standpoint, I think Resident Evil 7 was a mistake.

The Resident Evil series prior to that showed a natural progression. It goes from something they have never seen before (0 and 1), progresses naturally into a massive disaster (2 and 3), and the world responds. Umbrella gets sued into nonexistence, and the world is more prepared for cases of large-scale bioweapons... but not so prepared they're still not caught off-guard by entirely new infections (4). By the time of Resident Evil 5, we see a growing-up world that has gotten used to this being reality, and the horror elements giving way as understanding and familiarity come along. 6 shows us just how they'd handle another Raccoon City, and it goes a lot better than it did the first time even with terrorists intentionally causing problems.

7 goes back to the roots, but realistically... this is a world in which people are aware that zombie outbreaks are not only real, but that viruses and parasites can mutate people in ways that people shouldn't even have to imagine. And given a city was nuked because of this, this awareness should be about the same level of general knowledge as the nuclear bombing of Japan in World War 2. People will be thinking about this, because this is the new reality and by the time of 7 at least two cities had been taken out by it.

So, the problem I have with the horror of 7 is that it comes primarily from the fact the protagonist is a complete f$#&ing moron.

I still think that the XMB look on the PS3 (and the PSP) was the best-looking UI for any game console. Those pretty particle effects when you turn it on... ahhh I love it. I'm really not fond of the PS4's and I wish there was an option to use a "classic" PS3-style home screen. Recently I've seen a lot of people trash the PS3 layout and the system itself and that makes me sad since the PS3 is honestly my favorite Sony console in general and the one I think had the best library for my tastes. :/ browsing the PS Store on PS3 DOES suck though, that is one clunky store

I'd say that the Switch's very simple home UI is probably my second favorite because there's not really any clutter and annoying things trying to show me what people on my friend list last did or advertising to get me to watch the Super Bowl on the system. cough cough PS4 cough cough

I certainly agree that the Galaxy games weren't what everyone makes them out to be. They completely changed from the world design of 64/Sunshine to something much more linear. To me that kind of ruined what made 64/Sunshine so special and set them so far apart from the 2D Mario platformers. Nintendo got stuck in this linear rut for ten whole years, too. It is a surprise to me that Odyssey even exists at this point.

Another problem I had with Galaxy was how the motion control was just... there. It was the very definition of the wiggle waggle gimmickry nonsense that the Wii and motion control became known for. Innovation to be innovation is empty.

I disagree on the OST, though. The OST is fantastic. But I'm a bit of a sucker for any well-executed orchestral works. Some of it is forgettable, though, I'll give you that. But it's way better than the forgettable ambient OSTs they put in games nowadays like Skyward Sword. And really, Odyssey's OST is hit or miss to me, not much different from Galaxy 1&2.

I love Fire Emblem Fates. It definitely isn't without its problems, but I enjoyed the plot overall (the writing wasn't fantastic but I'm a sucker for the whole "story changes drastically based on your choices" trope) and I adore most of the characters. Also, Takumi is the best Fates character and he did nothing wrong.

Last edited:
SaGa Frontier really, really needs a remake. While I hate with a passion Final Fantasy II's system, SaGa Frontier takes it and makes it work more naturally, however, the game has problems. Mainly, that they had to cut around 50% of the game story to meet the deadline, including one storyline and the ending of another one. I feel that if this games ever gets remade, I hope they add all the things that were in a certain artbook that has never been completely translated (only the main parts are hanging around the internet).

Sure, this is not popular in the sense of "wait, what the hell is SaGa Frontier?", but I feel it more or less fits here.

Not sure if this is exactly unpopular but I want more TearRing Saga games, I know there's Vestaria Saga I but that's an unofficial successor to Berwick Saga, I just wish it'd get as much recognition since I really love it as much as Fire Emblem. But hopefully with Vestaria Saga I getting an official English translation this year, and if it does well, Kaga can maybe try and bring back TearRing Saga with a third game or maybe a remake (yeah right, but I can dream) along with another Vestaria Saga game.

Sonic and the Black Knight is the best game in the franchise.

The gameplay is fast paced and enjoyable (in standard stages, anyway), but the story is where it really shines, especially in the second half. What other Sonic game can you name that even has a morally grey conflict, let alone one done well? The villain is arguably the one going for good, making the world eternal so nobody has to fear death. Sonic, our hero, is actively throwing it back in her face, fighting to give the entire world its expiration date. It's a look into Sonic's philosophy and mindset on a level that we've never really seen before or since.

Last edited:
@Lone_Garurumon
Bless you for that post lol. Sonic the Black Knight being a top three Sonic game is a hill I would die on. Sonic's characterization in that game was fantastic and has yet to be matched (and the rate things are going, probably never will). Had a blast with the gameplay too, and I loved that you could even play as Lancelot, Gawain, and Percival in the story after like halfway through. Any game that lets me play as Shadow gets some extra points from me.

------

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is overrated. It's a very good game, but I wouldn't even put it in the top three Metroidvania-style games in the series. It drags on in places, and honestly I think the inverted castle was kinda dumb. It just... happens? Alucard doesn't even remark on it. And now you've got to go back through practically the same places you already visited... but UPSIDE DOWN to gather up pieces of Dracula. Hurray. Soundtrack is probably in the top ranks for the series, though. But I'd place at least Aria of Sorrow, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia as being better Metroidvanias overall. HOWEVER! The PS1 voice acting is a masterpiece and Richter's dialogue when you fight him + the succubus's voice are so bad that they become amazing.

On the flip side, I think Castlevania: Lament of Innocence is SUPER underrated. The 3D games get a lot of crap, but I first played LoI for the first time just a few years ago as a PS2 Classic on PS3 even after playing the vast majority of other Castlevanias before it, and I adored it. Short, but sweet. Doesn't drag on or have too much unnecessary filler aside from some hallways being ungodly long (and honestly, that happens in other games in the series too, so I can't fault LoI too hard for it). Gameplay is snappy and fun, and doing that cool whip grapple unto rails and stuff felt badass. Also, this is the only Castlevania that had what I'd consider an actually quite good story. I really appreciate that it seems like they tried, and Leon is Castlevania best boy.

I think the S. S. Anne music from Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green is the best version of the theme. I personally feel the original one from Red/Blue/Yellow is really obnoxious and grating on the ears, though I do like what Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee did with it. Still, I find the GBA version of the theme to be very soothing and relaxing.

I also wish the Let's Go games included the Sevii Islands. Those were great IMHO.

The old PC version of FFVII's soundtrack is pure musical aesthetic. Sure it's not as high quality and some tracks really do suffer for it, but for many of the other tracks, the old DOS-ish quality is just so satisfying to hear. It doesn't deserve all the hate it gets.

Plus some tracks actually sound better in this version, namely the main battle theme. If only because it doesn't have that cringey breathing sound effect (or is at least extremely faint). I can't stand that bit whatsoever.

Super Smash Bros Melee is overrated and it is not the best Smash Bros game. The best Smash Bros game is Ultimate.
I completely agree, the fact that Melee is still being put on that podium for the best Smash game sickens me since Ultimate has all the characters from every Smash game yet.

I completely agree, the fact that Melee is still being put on that podium for the best Smash game sickens me since Ultimate has all the characters from every Smash game yet.
Doesn't help that according to competitive players, only Fox exists. It scared me when I saw a tournament and only five people used a different character, and one of them was Falco.

More FE opinions:

Byleth in the upcoming FE Three Houses shouldn't have been an avatar, doesn't help that I'm not fond of female Byleth's design, something about it just feels off for me for some reason. Hopefully FE17 doesn't have an avatar though.

Speaking of avatars, I actually liked Kris in New Mystery of the Emblem funny enough (and this is coming from someone that loves the older games). Also male Corrin is superior in every way compared to female Corrin and Leo is best royal sibling in Fates. :cool:

For Smash Ultimate DLC I want another FE character, totally serious and not sorry. Probably won't happen either way though, but I would love to see either Seliph, Leif, Ares, Julius (we really should've had a villain as a fighter character already tbh), Ephraim, Soren (pls Sakurai), Leo, Niles, or to be more relevant/new Claude von Regan (pls Sakurai).

Back
Top Bottom