• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Another FF opinion since I've been in a big FF mood lately:

FFIX is criminally underrated. I've been playing the Switch port and am loving every second of it. Everyone else I've spoken to about it has said that it wasn't a very good FF title (though I suspect that many of those people are FFVII fanboys...), but so far I've haven't had any complaints with IX. I love the characters and the story is just the right amount of serious and comedy. I actually haven't been playing FFVII ever since I bought it, partly because I'm already pretty far into FFIX and want to complete that first. Partly because I'm just enjoying FFIX a lot more.

Maybe I'm a little biased since FFV and VI were among my favorites in the series and IX is closer to them than the other PS titles.

Maybe I'm a little biased since FFV and VI were among my favorites in the series and IX is closer to them than the other PS titles.
If I recall correctly, the intention was going back to their roots as a classic medieval fantasy, instead of the futuristic settings of VII and VIII. Originally, it was supposed to be a spin-off, but they changed their opinion during development, just like what happened with FFXV.

I'm glad that they had that change of heart, since I think it would have been even more underrated if it ended up being a spin-off.

Another FF opinion since I've been in a big FF mood lately:

FFIX is criminally underrated. I've been playing the Switch port and am loving every second of it. Everyone else I've spoken to about it has said that it wasn't a very good FF title (though I suspect that many of those people are FFVII fanboys...), but so far I've haven't had any complaints with IX. I love the characters and the story is just the right amount of serious and comedy. I actually haven't been playing FFVII ever since I bought it, partly because I'm already pretty far into FFIX and want to complete that first. Partly because I'm just enjoying FFIX a lot more.

It might be an early Final Fantasy fans vs. later Final Fantasy fans thing. A lot of 2D Final Fantasy fans say IX is the best of the 3D games.

Doesn't help that according to competitive players, only Fox exists. It scared me when I saw a tournament and only five people used a different character, and one of them was Falco.

And don't even think about bringing up Jigglypuff at this point in time...there's apparently some scuttlebutt going on there :(

I'll throw in my own unpopular Smash Bros opinion - they need to get back to just Nintendo characters. I won't deny enjoying the third party characters they have right now - Snake, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man fit in pretty well and even though not as much I enjoy using Ryu and Cloud. But the fact that Smash 4 didn't have any DLC that wasn't a returning veteran or a third-party character was criminal, and with Joker coming this month it looks to be heading in a very similar direction for Ultimate. I'm not particularly comfortable with Smash Bros not being a celebration of Nintendo anymore.

And don't even think about bringing up Jigglypuff at this point in time...there's apparently some scuttlebutt going on there :(

I'll throw in my own unpopular Smash Bros opinion - they need to get back to just Nintendo characters. I won't deny enjoying the third party characters they have right now - Snake, Sonic, Mega Man and Pac-Man fit in pretty well and even though not as much I enjoy using Ryu and Cloud. But the fact that Smash 4 didn't have any DLC that wasn't a returning veteran or a third-party character was criminal, and with Joker coming this month it looks to be heading in a very similar direction for Ultimate. I'm not particularly comfortable with Smash Bros not being a celebration of Nintendo anymore.
On the other hand, those are characters from games that have been in Nintendo consoles or at least from series that debuted there, so it's still a celebration of Nintendo, just not only-Nintendo series specific.

Also, if I recall correctly, both Snake and Sonic were going to be in Melee, but since the game was almost complete they couldn't be included.

EDIT: I guess I'll add my own opinion, too. I wouldn't have included Sonic in any way, shape or form in Smash. I'm sorry, but I find that thing more annoying than cool. The closest thing to me seeing him as likeable is during Ultimate's World of Light intro, but then I remember he was helping Pikachu and I stop caring again.

Last edited:
Secret of Mana on the SNES is completely overrated. What charm you get from the graphics, gameplay and amazing soundtrack are completely marred by forgettable characters and criminally underdeveloped villains, tons of janky hit detection and glitches, atrocious dialogue and translations, and horrible sound design that completely downs out the excellent music.

I might watch Shazam!, mostly because the only things I remember about him is that he had an old cartoon, was a massive jerk in the New 52 incarnation, and how he was murdered in cold blood by Superman in Injustice.

Secret of Mana on the SNES is completely overrated. What charm you get from the graphics, gameplay and amazing soundtrack are completely marred by forgettable characters and criminally underdeveloped villains, tons of janky hit detection and glitches, atrocious dialogue and translations, and horrible sound design that completely downs out the excellent music.

My own unpopular Mana opinions - Secret of Mana is good but Final Fantasy Adventure (Seiken Densetsu 1) is better. Seiken Densetsu 3 isn't that great, it controls like molasses.

It might be an early Final Fantasy fans vs. later Final Fantasy fans thing. A lot of 2D Final Fantasy fans say IX is the best of the 3D games.
Eh, the complaints I heard also came from early FF fans. I remember one person saying that FFVII was the "last good FF title", which I really cannot agree with. FFVII is good and an important game to both the series and JRPGs as a whole, but it's also overrated.

On another subject of FF,

FFVIII has a great plot, setting and cast that I also feel is underappreciated. While I could care less about the gameplay, I surprisingly found everything else stellar. It's a solid game... well almost. The problem I have with FFVIII is that I kinda wish it didn't just focus on Squall and Rinoa. I felt like the other party members weren't given very many opportunities to shine as individuals because they were treated more as Squall's and Rinoa's support group. I understand the intent behind FFVIII was to make a RPG love story, but the execution felt like a step back from what previous FF titles established. Then again, I suppose FFIV also has that same issue.

That's just me though.

FFVIII has a great plot, setting and cast that I also feel is underappreciated. While I could care less about the gameplay, I surprisingly found everything else stellar. It's a solid game... well almost. The problem I have with FFVIII is that I kinda wish it didn't just focus on Squall and Rinoa. I felt like the other party members weren't given very many opportunities to shine as individuals because they were treated more as Squall's and Rinoa's support group. I understand the intent behind FFVIII was to make a RPG love story, but the execution felt like a step back from what previous FF titles established. Then again, I suppose FFIV also has that same issue.

A lot of people hated FFVIII because of the weird magic system and the time travel aspect of the plot. Those are both invariably cited in every discussion I've seen of why FFVIII is a bad entry to the series. Combine that with the fact it was switching to telling the story of two people rather than a group (this also happens in FFX and FFX2) and you can see why it is a lot of people simply dislike the game compared to the rest of the series.

Skyward Sword is a good game despite its flaws and it's the only Zelda game in which I care about the characters to the point where I feel bad for whatever bad things happen to the characters. Groose became a beloved character for a reason.

Skyward Sword is a good game despite its flaws and it's the only Zelda game in which I care about the characters to the point where I feel bad for whatever bad things happen to the characters. Groose became a beloved character for a reason.

I understand. I am one of those people that would say that SS was disappointing and made the Zelda series feel stagnant, which BoTW fixed. I was mainly talking about the lack of environmental variety, no real overworld to explore (like Hyrule Field), and some other miscellaneous things like some boss fights being repeated in unnecessary ways IMO. But I can certainly say that the characters were fun. I also thought that the time travel part was super cool, getting to see technological enemies in Zelda was just...fascinating. It should feel off, but I think they achieved avoiding that.

In reality, I never even finished SS. I got to the ending, when Ghirahim was sending hoards of enemies, and I couldn't beat them and make it down to Ghirahim. I suck. lol I guess I'll have to watch the ending.

On the topic of Final Fantasy...

Sephiroth is overrated. That's not an uncommon opinion. But I also think that Kefka is super overrated. I don't think he's that great of a villain, sorry. He has some funny one-liners and he does awful things that really make you want to take him down, but I don't think that's enough for him to consistently be considered one of the greatest villains in the series along with the similarly overrated Sephiroth (Rufus was the best antagonist in VII, he was cool). Plenty of villains accomplish that much, and are more compelling when on-screen when doing so.

Actually, I think FFVI is overrated as a whole, to be honest. It's a good game, but the cast is way too large for its own good. I'd rather it not even bother having characters like Umaro and Gogo if they're just going to be glorified extras, and the story is fine and hits the right notes, but never really soars. At least to me. In my personal rankings, I'd actually put it below pretty much every game other than I, II, III, maybe V, XII, and potentially VIII. Again, I like it (as I do most games in the franchise), but it just... doesn't do anything special for me? also, desperation attacks are dumb
A lot of people hated FFVIII because of the weird magic system and the time travel aspect of the plot. Those are both invariably cited in every discussion I've seen of why FFVIII is a bad entry to the series. Combine that with the fact it was switching to telling the story of two people rather than a group (this also happens in FFX and FFX2) and you can see why it is a lot of people simply dislike the game compared to the rest of the series.
I don't hate VIII by any means, but it's in the lower half of the series for me mainly for these reasons. I HATED the GF/junction system and how enemies scaled with my level. Also, I find that FFX handles its supporting cast way better than VIII did. VIII I honesty think has a pretty dull party aside from Squall and Rinoa, like I barely remember any notable scenes for Quistis/Zell/Irvine/Selphie compared to most of X's cast. Only really Kimahri (the cruel fate of being a non-human-looking character in this series, just like Red XIII in VII) and maybe Lulu get shafted in X. And Kimahri barely talks anyway since that's his character, so it didn't really bother me there. VIII also suffers from having its main antagonist be kinda lame, at least to me. She's no Seymour, Kuja, Ardyn, or any of the other greats IMO. The timey-wimey weirdness in VIII never bothered me though; pretty much every Final Fantasy gets weird about halfway through in some way lol.

On the topic of Final Fantasy...

Sephiroth is overrated. That's not an uncommon opinion. But I also think that Kefka is super overrated. I don't think he's that great of a villain, sorry. He has some funny one-liners and he does awful things that really make you want to take him down, but I don't think that's enough for him to consistently be considered one of the greatest villains in the series along with the similarly overrated Sephiroth (Rufus was the best antagonist in VII, he was cool). Plenty of villains accomplish that much, and are more compelling when on-screen when doing so.

Actually, I think FFVI is overrated as a whole, to be honest. It's a good game, but the cast is way too large for its own good. I'd rather it not even bother having characters like Umaro and Gogo if they're just going to be glorified extras, and the story is fine and hits the right notes, but never really soars. At least to me. In my personal rankings, I'd actually put it below pretty much every game other than I, II, III, maybe V, XII, and potentially VIII. Again, I like it (as I do most games in the franchise), but it just... doesn't do anything special for me? also, desperation attacks are dumb
I have to agree with Kefka (never liked him actually, though that's mostly cause I hate clownish designs) and FFVI being just as overrated as VII actually (that being said I do still like both games). Especially so when you see both groups of fans for both games go at it with each other and when there are polls/questions that ask which FF is "the best/greatest" or whatever, these two are pretty much always mentioned.

I guess my FF opinion would be that I think Type-0 and Mystic Quest are the most underrated FF games. I was gonna count VIII (my personal favorite) as well though I'm not sure if it's as underrated, it gets crapped on a lot sure, but I don't know if it's that underrated.

Don't forget the white text that's near impossible to read because of the text boxes being see-through if you have it on a light background. And weapon grinding. And a lot of important context that's never even explained because of the whole translation issue. Trust me, the remake is better.

I feel that Lux-Pain should be re-translated. I found that game really interesting, but it suffered massively from the horrible translation.

There's typos, inconsistent romanizations, dialogue that doesn't follow what the text says and apparently the translators didn't agree if the game takes place in the United States or Japan. I still remember a cutscene with a girl, who if I recall correctly is the love interest, in which the dialogue said she wanted to go to New York, but the text said she wanted to go to Tokyo. It was worse than some of the mistranslated NES and SNES games I have seen.

Last edited:
Don't forget the white text that's near impossible to read because of the text boxes being see-through if you have it on a light background. And weapon grinding. And a lot of important context that's never even explained because of the whole translation issue. Trust me, the remake is better.

Was the game retranslated for the PS4 and mobile release? I was reading about how so much content had to be cut from the original localization because of time constraints

I know the original SNES game was remade for mobile, and it had a slightly better, more refined script, but I haven't played it so I don't know. But the remake that came out last year is so much better in terms of art, translation, nuance, and character development. I've played it myself, so I know.

Back
Top Bottom