• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Yeah, I can totally get the Pokemon burnout. It just doesn't feel like GF really gives much of a shit anymore. They'll have something great in one game/generation and then completely drop it by the next, replacing it with a poor substitute.

My FF related opinion (XV this time): I don't hate Luna. I'll admit that she didn't get as much screen time as she should have in any capacity, and that she was woefully mismanaged (especially now that we're not getting her DLC episode), but I don't think she's as bad as people claim her to be. She's got some badass moments like when she get into a verbal sparring match with Levianthan, and her unflinching walk from the magitek troopers who have her at gunpoint. She was showing the signs of a great character that the story just wouldn't let her be.

Kefka may not be the deepest villain in the FF series, or gaming in general, but he may very well have been the only antagonist who came the closest to accomplishing his goal
Ardyn called, he'd like his recognition for ruling the world and filling it with Daemons for a good 10 years, and even in death getting exactly what he wanted the whole time. (And yes I know a lot of your post was about VI in its time, but Kefka's not the only one in the franchise who got what he wanted)

I LOVE 3/4 of the Chocobros
Let me guess, Gladio's the 1?

I don't think Trish looks ugly in the new Devil May Cry.
Totally agree, I think she actually looks the best she's ever looked face-wise. Well, aside from
when she was Gloria. I loved that design, I wish she'd just always look that way lol
Let me guess, Gladio's the 1?
i'm that predictable huh You're right on the money there haha. I don't hate Gladio or anything, but the tier list goes something like Noctis ≥ Ignis > Prompto >>>>>> Gladio.

My FF related opinion (XV this time): I don't hate Luna. I'll admit that she didn't get as much screen time as she should have in any capacity, and that she was woefully mismanaged (especially now that we're not getting her DLC episode), but I don't think she's as bad as people claim her to be. She's got some badass moments like when she get into a verbal sparring match with Levianthan, and her unflinching walk from the magitek troopers who have her at gunpoint. She was showing the signs of a great character that the story just wouldn't let her be.
Finally, another person that likes Lunafreya! I get why people may not like her but I never liked how they say she's the worst FF character, or worst female character (but I guess it doesn't help that FFXV was in development for a long while, and was going to be part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythos called FF Versus XIII, and when characters where shown people definitely preferred Stella over Luna). I've also seen a lot of people compare her to Aerith a lot sadly (though I actually vastly prefer Luna over her).

Unpopular opinion but I actually liked Noctis' and Luna's relationship more than other FF love stories (yes even more than Squall's and Rinoa's, and VIII is my absolute favorite!).

i'm that predictable huh
Less that you're predictable, more that Gladio tends to be the most polarising Chocobro, mainly for being a huge butt in Chapter 10. So I just figured it was a safe guess.

I think Mario Kart 8 (and MK8D) are among the worst Mario Kart games, maybe only better than Mario Kart 64 to me.

MK8 got rid of a lot of the chaotic fun of Mario Kart Wii and DS (probably my two favorites aside from the original on SNES). No Mega Mushroom to crush people with? No terrifying Thunder Cloud to live in fear of when you see another racer with it hovering menacingly over their head? No more Fake Item Boxes for some reason? Seriously, why are those gone? They've been a mainstay and are fun to either fake people out with or just generally mess people up ala Banana Peels. I know people get really mad sometimes at some of the BS that can happen to you in Mario Kart, but that's part of the appeal to me. I liked having even more wacky items to screw people over with, even if that meant I'd be getting hit by them too at times. :/

The roster also is super lame compared to Wii's. I'm sorry, but the Koopalings did not deserve to hog up that large a portion of the roster. I don't even like the Donkey Kong franchise, but I'd much rather have seen Funky and Diddy and whoever else was in MKWii than the Koopalings, of which only, like, 3 of them are even slightly memorable.

The track selection isn't great outside the retro tracks (which are fairly solid, though I take offense to Cheese Land not being space-themed like it was in the GBA game). MK8's Rainbow Road is just dull in both the music and aesthetics, so I had to laugh when it was like even the devs realized it when they put the MK64 Rainbow Road on the cover of MK8D instead lol. I especially hate Bone Dry Dunes, which is among my least favorite places to race in the entire series.

Also, they had the chance to finally make Battle Mode good again in the Deluxe version, and they still botched some of that up. Shine Thief was my favorite battle mode in MK DS, and they just gutted it here. It was so much better when people actually got eliminated over time for having the least Shine Sprites. I get that they didn't want people to have to sit out and just watch the match finish, but then... just let them leave like in Fortnite?

Another unpopular opinion about the same game, but I do not enjoy Mario Kart 8's soundtrack. For some reason, I don't like the move to realistic instruments with this game, it just doesn't feel as Mario-y, and none of the songs are really memorable aside from the Ice Ice Outpost one, which I like a lot. Not everything needs real instruments/orchestration/etc IMO.

Mario Kart Wii is the best one, and I say that as someone who started with Super Mario Kart on SNES and thus isn't even looking at Wii with first game nostalgia

EDIT: ONE MORE THING! I miss having to unlock all kinds of stuff like in Mario Kart Wii. The Deluxe version of 8 is a huge offender here since everything but kart pieces is unlocked from the get-go, and I hate it. Maybe I'm just a weirdo for enjoying Mario Kart single player content, but I really wish they'd have given more focus on that.

Personally I think Ultimecia had the most capacity to do far more damage than Kefka, Sephiroth, Ardyn or anyone else. While the others strove for world destruction or to become supreme rulers/gods...

Ultimecia wanted to destroy all of existence itself, and she was very close to accomplishing that. Time manipulation is a devastating force, but I digress.

Back to more of my FE opinions cause why not:

I actually like Roy, even if he's trash as a unit (though that doesn't help cause of his late promotion and his base stats are pretty shit too). Sometimes it saddens me whenever I see western fans hate/bash on him too much. Same goes with Micaiah from Radiant Dawn and Leif from Thracia 776 (this is where people complain about him, not so much in GotHW).

Est archetype characters are fun for me to use, even if they can sometimes get frustrating having to be babied.

This one is mostly a Smash Ultimate opinion but still involves FE, Inigo should've been a spirit in Ultimate. How are they gonna have Owain and Severa in as spirits, but no Inigo? Also, I think he's the best of that trio and I find Owain and Severa to be even more overrated Awakening second gen characters (that being said they are still cool, I just find Inigo to be awesome in both design and personality).

I actually liked Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE as a game. Sure it's not exactly what I expected, but I still thought it was fun!

I like that Fates introduced male pegasus knights with Subaki and Shigure (which is one of the reasons why I like them), and I hope future games adds more as well and not have them be a female only class again.

Forgot to add, dancers shouldn't be gender locked either. I like that FE Heroes had Inigo as a dancer in one of the banners, and future games should really add male dancers. Same goes for bards, while they were never stated to be male only the very few characters of this class were male, they should add in female bards as well if they ever decide to bring said class back.

Last edited:
Okay, one more for me since it's on my mind:

I legitimately like Infinite in Sonic Forces. His backstory isn't super exciting (though it's like a masterpiece compared to previous losers like The Deadly Six lol), but he's got a SUPER GOOD English voice, has the kind of edgy look I'm into, has a theme song that is one of the best in the entire series, and had a lot of potential. The game didn't really do much with him, but I don't hold that against the character. He's certainly better than any villain since... geez, since SatBK's. I think he'd have been better used in the game if Shadow had been the protagonist, since Shadow was the one who he really had a beef with.

More that came to mind (this time not all are FE):

Out of all the PC-98 Touhou characters I wanna see return in the Windows games, I'd rather see Meira and Konngara over Shinki, Elly, and Mima. Not that I don't like the other three mentioned but they are pretty overrated due to memes and such, to the point where I can't tell if people wanting them to return are actually serious or not. And personally I'd want to see more background and actual development done for Meira and Konngara, though the chances of them making Windows appearances is pretty much impossible now sadly.

There are no bad SMT/Persona games. All of them have their charm and are fun, that I think any one of them being truly bad is a silly statement. (also, where's info on SMT V for the Switch Atlus?)

Treasure of the Rudras deserves a remake. It'll give people that want to play it without emulating it a chance to experience it. That and it's legitimately a good game that more people should really play.

This one is a recent one after seeing this mentioned on another forum last night, but I don't think that the next FE remake should be Roy's game. Some say it's because of his popularity in Smash that Binding Blade should be the next remake, but would most of the Smash fans that like Roy's iteration in Smash even play his game? Especially since some of the fanbase is either ignorant, hates, or ignores FE's existence (that and they probably won't like Roy's personality or himself as a unit, especially if most western FE fans already dislike him for that). Regardless I want to see GotHW and Thracia 776 remade before Roy's game, and seeing some mention that FE4&5 should be ignored/forgotten makes me mad. If they can remake Gaiden, the black sheep of FE, they can do GotHW and Thracia 776.

Sumia from FE Awakening doesn't deserve the hate/snub she gets. I think she's a alright character and a ok unit to use (Cordelia definitely outclasses her though tbh), I can't believe it took her a long time to get in Heroes.

and seeing some mention that FE4&5 should be ignored/forgotten makes me mad. If they can remake Gaiden, the black sheep of FE, they can do GotHW and Thracia 776.
Really? Because I have only seen people praising both games. Then again, I have not been to a FE forum, so reactions there can be different.

Then again, IIRC, Thracia 776 had a bad fan translation, so I guess people dislike the game for that (I'm speculating here).

Also, if BS Fire Emblem could get a remake, I think bot GotHW and Thracia 776 can get a chance.

Really? Because I have only seen people praising both games. Then again, I have not been to a FE forum, so reactions there can be different.
It is, most reactions are either indifferent or hate. Though the FE subreddit has a healthy dose of fans and haters, so both congregate there. I'm taking about a different FE forum though.

Then again, IIRC, Thracia 776 had a bad fan translation, so I guess people dislike the game for that (I'm speculating here).
It's actually only the menu that was a jumbled mess, otherwise it actually isn't super hard to navigate (a newer translation was in the works, not sure if it's finished though, I've been using the same translation for replays instead). And dislike actually comes from either the hate for Leif, fatigue is bad in this game, warp tiles screws the players, and RNG hit rate is terrible; there is a chance that you can miss with a 99% hit chance, yet the enemy with a low hit chance can hit you.

Also, if BS Fire Emblem could get a remake, I think bot GotHW and Thracia 776 can get a chance.
Exactly.

Another Sonic set of unpopular opinions:

Orbot and Cubot are annoying characters that really exemplify the issues of the Sonic Colors games and beyond's writing. They have one schtick that they stick to, and it is never funny. The worst is Cubot's awful habit of explaining his own jokes or explaining other gags. UGH. I can deal with them in the Sonic Boom cartoon (which frankly has the actually funny and sometimes witty humor the games currently can only wish they had), but in the games it is excruciating. I know a lot of people like them to give Eggman something to bounce off of, but I don't see why that's necessary. He was fine before.

On that same topic, I'm honestly getting tired of Eggman's characterization and role in the recent games too. People seem to love funny, hammy Eggman. I did too for a while. But he also does the same tired schtick every game lately... It's even worse when he's usually the main antagonist now. There's no "greater threat" really to deal a lot of the time. It's even worse when Eggman comes across much less competent than he used to. I could buy that he was a threat in the Adventure games (honestly, he was pretty on-the-ball in SA2 especially IMO), and even sort of up to in Unleashed. But they really expect anyone to believe Eggman somehow managed to conquer the world in Sonic Forces? Like, lol? The Eggman of the modern games, really? I know this series is aimed at a young audience, but come on. The games pulled off a somewhat menacing Eggman in the past, why not now? Honestly, as it is, Eggman is almost just as guilty of being a sign of the terrible writing in this series as Sonic himself currently is.

Also Jason Griffith was and always will be the best voice for Sonic. This isn't super unpopular NOW (though I think Ryan Drummond from SA-Sonic Heroes is still most popular), but back in the 4Kids dub days, this was a controversial topic lol. I felt like his Sonic felt the least generic, like he had a certain aloofness to him that I liked. His Sonic 2006 Sonic is the only rough spot IMO, while meanwhile his Sonic and the Black Knight acting was phenomenal and Sonic's best. Oh, and I also unironically liked Martin Burke's Sonic voice in the Sonic OVA. He was... unique. I liked it.

Sumia from FE Awakening doesn't deserve the hate/snub she gets. I think she's a alright character and a ok unit to use (Cordelia definitely outclasses her though tbh), I can't believe it took her a long time to get in Heroes.
OMG YES. Sumia is my favorite girl in the whole series despite me not even being a big Awakening fan, so it really annoys me that Sumia gets reduced down to "lol pie supports with Chrom" by some of the fanbase. I was very excited when she got added to Heroes (she's at+3 merges right now), though it was lame how she gets treated like a second-rate Shepherd taking so long to be in despite being a character who even got into the nice CG cutscenes in Awakening. At least she got Gen 2 BST thanks to the wait lol.

More FE opinions fam:

So this one is about Three Houses, yes it's not out yet, but I've been seeing some hate towards Dorothea's hat. Personally, I really like it! Yes it's more modern styled, but I don't think that makes it bad, besides I find it very cute on her.

I wanna see different settings in future FE games. I want to see something like colonial America, an actual Mediterranean continent, Mesoamerica, experiment with another Japanese or even different Asian locations, etc.

I like using archers even though they are bad. (and I won't regret using Claude von Regan when Three Houses comes out)

If Anna returns in Three Houses I hope Jake returns with her as well.

I like the character portraits in the Shadow Dragon and Mystery of the Emblem remakes and I don't find them "ugly".

Lucia is the most underrated character in the Tellius games.

Jakob should've been an early ally for male Corrin as well instead of Felicia. (nothing against her, I just like Jakob more)

Fates OST was kinda mediocre, not too terrible but not too great either.

Gaiden!Alm's and Einherjar Awakening!Alm's personality >> SoV!Alm's personality.

I love Sumia and I will never understand why people don't like her. I can understand why people don't like her with Chrom (I don't either) but she's so lovely that I just can't see what there is to dislike.
Simply put, some don't like majority or all of Awakening's characters because some feel that they follow anime tropes. Like Severa for example, people see her and think tsundere, Sumia follows the clutzy/ditzy anime girl archetype, Chrom the bumbling and headstrong leader, etc. Personally though, I don't think using tropes is a bad thing, and while I'm not a major fan of Awakening myself it's obvious that the Awakening cast isn't just tropes if one bothers to look any deeper into their personalities and why some are that way.

Also shipping is another reason she's hated, since the game does value Sumia over his other potential love interests. (though I'd argue it's actually Olivia that the game can prioritize over Sumia, but it's usually until a certain point in the story anyway and I don't feel like explaining any more right now lol)

Besides I pair Sumia with Henry anyway cause Cynthia gets that sweet Galeforce, Vengeance, Lifetaker deal as a dark flier and more of course. Besides, it leaves Chrom for Maribelle, my favorite Chrom ship even if it gets a shit offensive Lucina out of it :T

Last edited:
Back with another unpopular FF opinion.

FF15 has a better story than Versus 13.

Now that's not to say that the execution was great. FF15 had a terrible execution that was worsened by the game's poor development, and it shouldn't have gotten where they needed to release DLC, patches, and an anime series just to fill in all the holes. But once you actually piece everything together, FF15 had a pretty coherent story that I actually think sits right up there with the classics. And besides, Versus 13/FF15 kept changing every three months so is it really that fair to say that Versus 13 had the better plot? Versus 13 is what it is now: a pre-concept to FF15. And I wish people would just accept that and move on.

Also even though I took a dig on the game's DLC, I really wish that Episode of Noct and Lunafreya was not cancelled. Episode of Ardyn brought so much to the table and they really could have done a lot more with the other DLC. I'm almost dismayed by this.

Another unpopular Splatoon opinion, the Blaster class was the biggest mistake to ever appear in Splatoon, the fact that it is the sole dominating weapon in Tower Control makes this class even more annoying, the Clash Blaster being the biggest offender of this. Weapons that don't require much aiming to get rid of a target easily shouldn't exist in any shooter, ever.

People vastly exaggerate how dark Kirby games are. I was thinking today about how MatPat cancelled his theory that Kirby was the reincarnation of an ancient god because the fandom had already come up with it.

EDIT: Also, about the discussion of Pokémon becoming stale, I think it's because they want to keep things as consistent as possible for the sake of the competitive scene. When I first played Monster Hunter Stories, I thought it would be cool if Game Freak made a game about the origin of Pokémon training, then I realised they never would. It seems like spinoffs are becoming homogenised, with less focus on story and more focus on putting all of Pokémon's mechanics into another genre. Detective Pikachu is the exception.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that the battling mechanics need to change. They're fine as they are and GF does still find ways to try to innovate them. Such as introducing new forms of battling or gimmicky features (which then get dropped the very next generation). And as much as I did really dislike S/M, I also have to appreciate that GF did try to innovate a lot with it. But I do think S/M should have waited until the Switch though.

I'm just tired of Pokemon because I'm tired. The staleness certainly does play into that, but it's not the only thing. I think I'm just at that point now where I'm moving on to other games. I don't even pay attention to new announcements anymore. These days I find myself a lot more invested in other monster-catching RPGs like Yo-Kai Watch.

Back
Top Bottom