• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

SquareSoft: Let's take full advantage of equippable items that TEACH BASIC COMMON SENSE.

Actually that critique might work better for FFVIII seeing as basic commands are attached to the junction system. These games really have a way of making the protagonists look like idiots in battle. Part of the reason why I prefer FFIX's. It just made a lot more sense. But yeah, FFVII's battle and Materia systems have really not aged well whatsoever. The people who want them to stay exactly as they are are blinded by nostalgia.

But yeah, see, this is also why SE added in 'cheat' features in these games to try to streamline them for newer players. FFVII does have cheats where you can disable enemy encounters and all that. Except it's kind of hidden.

Speaking of nostalgia blindness, I wonder how many people who hated Yooka-Laylee took a look back on Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong 64 and wondered if maybe those games also suffered from the same problems. (I know that DK64 was itself its own beast of a basket case.) There were some problems with YL that were new to it, and I do get the criticisms that Playtonic may have lost their touch in designing a good 3D platformer. But I also have to wonder if some of the common problems with it are actually attached to the genre itself.
I don't think it has aged as bad as FFIII's system: You can only cast X level spells Y times a day. This is pretty annoying, specially in the early game when you don't have many options on how to heal yourself. I know that Final Fantasy I also had that system, but at least from the PS1 remake onwards they replaced it with the more convenient MP system.

Since the thread is back in Final Fantasy mode, I'll drop some of my opinions in here:

I legitimately liked Lann and Reynn as protagonists in World of Final Fantasy, and I'd consider them among my favorites in the franchise (especially Lann, who is adorable and I thought his jokes were pretty funny). That game as a whole was phenomenal and I enjoyed every second of my journey getting the platinum trophy for it.

Machina Kunagiri from Final Fantasy Type-0 gets too much hate. He's a jerk at times to Class Zero and makes some dumb decisions, but honestly I think it's easy to pity him given the circumstances he's in (and some things regarding spoilers about Type-0 as a whole).

Hope Estheim is a great character and I never once found him annoying in the original Final Fantasy XIII. Honestly, I liked him MORE in XIII than in the sequels because he felt a little blander after that. Granted, I love me some angst lol, but I sympathized with Hope a lot and really enjoyed watching his character development.

I also really like Snow and Vanille, the other two characters that get a lot of hate in XIII. I love that entire cast, and I think XIII's main cast of playable characters was one of the best in the entire series. XIII also has a great plot, and people who say the combat is bad because you just autobattle are straight-up wrong because it definitely evolves later on and you have to be strategic with your paradigms and making split decisions without autobattle (which is a nice convenience).

Final Fantasy XV is really fun and I love the main four characters (...well, I love three of them, and the fourth is okay), and frankly that's enough for me to love the game. Some people act like it's a sin to humanity and a sign that FF is bad now, and I'm like... lol.

Advent Children Cloud's personality is more appealing to me than FFVII Cloud because I sympathized with his guilt and not being able to move on from things he felt were his fault even if they weren't. I eat that stuff up, and I'd gladly take "emo" Cloud.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (the GBA one) > Final Fantasy Tactics and FFTA2 (also, Marche did nothing wrong and I'm on his defense squad, and I liked the law/judge system; no joke, FFTA is my #1 favorite Final Fantasy of the ENTIRE series lmao)

Final Fantasy XII is kind of dull and honestly it kinda annoys me when so many people act like it was "the last good Final Fantasy" lately. I'd take both XIII and XV over XII any day. At least I care about the characters in the latter two, and I felt the gameplay was more fun in them as well. Gambits are a cool idea and I liked the battles happening on the maps and stuff, but somehow the game just feels less exciting, and I'm not a huge fan of the art direction for XII either. It's not... anime enough, if you know what I mean? Not over-the-top enough for my tastes, I dunno. And Penelo's voice actress sounds like she recorded her lines in a tin can in somebody's basement, the audio quality is horrible for them and it's super distracting.

I legitimately hate the Onion Knight in Dissidia and I wish he never became the rep for III. The DS remake for III had inoffensively bland characters, but at least their designs were nice. Luneth should've been the III protag in Dissidia, and I bet he wouldn't have been so insufferable in personality either.

You can hit all enemies on the field if you have an All Materia, without it then nope. One materia itself will only be able to hit one target and of course if a spell calls for it (Ultima, Comet2, certain enemy skills).

Also yes you do run away with L1 and R1, not sure what it is for playing with a keyboard though.

Oh wow, I actually have a few copies of the "All" Materia. I just had no clue what it did. The description is incredibly vague, only saying "Applies 'All' to Shared Magic" or something like that. That's one aspect of the game that I can tell hasn't aged well. I have no clue what the descriptions for a lot of the non-straightforward (like Fire, Ice, etc.) Materia even means.

I thought people started to change their mind about FFTA? Then again, I'm also on Marche's side since he's only one to realize that they are running away from their troubles, and warping reality is not the way to deal with them. On the other hand, I find the original Tactics overly grim and difficult, which is a turn-off for me. You know there's a problem when you can get a Game Over in the first fight.

Although I kinda disagree with what you said about Hope (since most of what he did was talk about how he hated Snow), I didn't find Snow or Vanille annoying either. I also liked the story and my only problem with the game is that what most of the game is spent in corridors. Aside from that, I like the game and I don't think there's a bad Final Fantasy aside from II and possibly III (thanks, weird leveling system and ultra limited magic!).

I want to give XII another chance, but having Vaan and Penelo as the "main" characters is kind of annoying. Apparently, Basch was going to be the original protagonist but after Vagrant Story bombed they blamed it on the fact the protagonist was not bishonen, so they created Vaan to fill that niche. At least, that's what I heard. Maybe I'll try it once again with Zodiac Age.

On the Onion Knight thing: I guess you can blame that on the fact that until NT came they completely ignored the sequels, prequels, remakes, etc. unless it was to make alternate costumes, which is why Luneth and Ingus were demoted to alt costumes. I didn't dislike him originally, but I'm starting to change my opinion after listening to some of his pre-fight quotes.
Oh wow, I actually have a few copies of the "All" Materia. I just had no clue what it did. The description is incredibly vague, only saying "Applies 'All' to Shared Magic" or something like that. That's one aspect of the game that I can tell hasn't aged well. I have no clue what the descriptions for a lot of the non-straightforward (like Fire, Ice, etc.) Materia even means.
Final Fantasy translations before VIII were kinda hit and miss, specially since they had limited text to work with. I sincerely find it weird that the translation was not fixed in the most recent port, since we still have "Helletic" Hojo and "Safer" Sephiroth. The last one might stay thanks to the grandfather clause, though.

My favorite FF protagonists in order: Ace=Squall > Benjamin=Bartz=Cecil > Terra > Wol > Tidus=Noctis=Cloud > Yuna > Noel > Vaan > Lightning=Serah > Firion > Zidane > Ceodore > Luneth > FFI Heroes

The final four in bold I'm just so indifferent towards. (which is sad for Zidane because I used to rank him higher, but now lately he's just so meh to me)

Moving on from FF:
I liked Persona Q as a spinoff, and I'm very excited for PQ2 coming out next month.

While I like Maya, I think it would've been more interesting if they still went with the original idea of having Jun be the protagonist in P2: Eternal Punishment. At least Jun's subdued nature would've been better as the silent protag than Maya.

I think Kaga should return for one more FE game, then go back to making Vestaria Saga (and maybe a TearRing Saga remake pls).

I unironically want another Digimon Racing game.

Seliph, Leif, and Roy are the best lords in the FE series. Though the Three Houses lords are looking to be pretty great too, so far.

Kasumi Yoshizawa >>>>>>> other P5 girls now. (so far, at least)

Goro Akechi >>>>>>>>> Tohru Adachi. (unironically)

I actually kind of liked Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly, and I like it more than A Hero's Tail.

Crash Bandicoot Purple: Ripto's Rampage and Spyro Orange: The Cortex Conspiracy are my least favorite in the Crash Bandicoot and Spyro game series, the mashup of these two series were uninteresting and boring and has no replay value for me.

I like Yukari and Junpei in P3.

Touhou Genso Wanderer Reloaded is the second worst Touhou game for me and it was too generic. Also Alice's hair in this game looked gross lol.

Speaking of (main) Touhou, it's not the hardest shmup game series. R-Type series, Ibara, Mushihimesama, Ikaruga, and Einhänder to name a few, were harder honestly.

There should be dancing games of the P1 and P2 duology games.

I dislike the True Demon ending in SMT Nocturne and like the Freedom ending more personally.

Is it me or does that new Fire Emblem game for the Switch look...

super duper rough around more than just the edges?

I know people joke around and say Pokèmon is the one having trouble making the jump from handheld to console but the images I've seen of it so far is making Sword and Shield (and maybe even LGPE) look like the Doom port in comparison.

At least, the gameplay itself will be the usual madcap Fire Emblem fun.

Yeah the in-game graphics are kinda meh to me, not terrible just not the best either of course, but I do love the artstyle. Hoping they polish up a bit before release in July, but I'll get used to it regardless, as long as I can still discern terrain features and tell units apart that's good enough for me and graphics will be at the far back in my mind.

More opinions fam:
I actually really liked Genesis Rhapsodos in CC: FFVII, though I still think they could've handled him better and not shoehorn him in the Nibelheim Incident.

Lucina is the most boring FE lord, even Chrom is a slightly better lord than her. Though I will give that it doesn't help that she's surrounded by a more colorful cast of characters with better personalities, she's still not all that great to me.

I liked Hunter and Sheila more in the Spyro Reignited Trilogy than in the original trilogy design wise. Though I like Elora's design more in the original than the remake.

Male Byleth >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Female Byleth in FE Three Houses

Unlike most people I heavily discuss with, I don't use Rutger very often in FE Binding Blade.

Also I didn't find Henning to be a hard boss.

Zack Fair is very overrated, I do like him but I just think he isn't all that. Also they overdramatize his death in CC and the speech was very unnecessary, the original death scene in VII is better.

My favorite Smash games in order: Ultimate > Brawl > 3DS/WiiU > Melee > 64. Yes Brawl is my second favorite Smash game, and I don't care about Melee's opening movie either.

SMT IV Apocalypse is underrated. The Devil Survivor games are also pretty underrated in the MegaTen series.

I also like Hunter's design better in Reignited Trilogy, too. I always thought the original Hunter looked kinda like a sock puppet.

I kinda agree with what how you ranked Smash games, except that I rank 3DS/Wii U over Brawl, but that's because I prefer the speedier gameplay that it had and I liked Smash Run a lot.

Silent Hill: Homecoming is my favorite Silent Hill game and I think it is super underrated. Best boss designs, good story, Alex is my favorite protagonist of the series, and I think Shepherd's Glen has a nice atmosphere to it. The combat knife is SUUUUPER OP in this game for some reason, but can't have it all lol.

I also think that Silent Hill 2 is in the bottom of the series (for me anyway), even though it seems to be far and away the most acclaimed and well-liked among fans. I'd put 1, 3, 4, and Homecoming above it. Maybe even Downpour to be honest, and Origins is about tied. James does nothing for me as a character, and the rest of the cast I don't care about either. I think that's why it just doesn't click with me, but I dunno.

Oh, and the first Silent Hill (the PSone game) is the scariest one. The PS1 graphics somehow enhance the unsettling atmosphere. SH1 is my 2nd favorite in the series, I love it.

Silent Hill Homecoming was actually my first Silent Hill game I played then I played the others later. I do agree that it's pretty underrated, it certainly still has a special place in my heart and maybe because it was my first Silent Hill that I still call it my favorite.

More of my opinions:
I wished FE Awakening was it's own stand-alone universe, I hated the retcons they made in the Archanea lore.

I like stealth chapters in FE.

I actually really liked Nohr armor designs in FE Fates.

My favorite SMT games in order (though I still really like them all): Nocturne=IV=Apocalypse > Strange Journey > 1=2 (emulate) > if... (emulate)

Likewise for Persona (still really like them all too): 3=Innocent Sin > Eternal Punishment=5 > Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth > 4 > Revelations

Speaking of PQ, I wished that they added in P1 and 2 characters to the games. They would look so cute in Q's style.

This isn't really the games themselves and instead part of fandom, but still connects to games characters so whatever: I actually liked the Bayonetta is Ren's mom meme the Smash fandom came up with, pretty wholesome and funny. Likewise, I really like the P5 protagonist flower child AU for P5/P2 characters.

I'm not a big fan of Donkey Kong games. Mainly cause I'm not a fan of gorillas and monkeys too much (except lemurs, I like them), though I do like the OST's the games have.

I like Dr. Neo Cortex's design in Crash of the Titans and Crash: Mind Over Mutant.

The Path is my favorite game by Tale of Tales, the others made by them are meh to me.

A general video game opinion: When horses are available in a game, I usually don't understand the appeal and don't use them. Especially open world games. It's not that I don't like horses, I think they're cute. It's just that not only am I not someone that is usually in a rush (I just like to walk around and enjoy the scenery), but I also think horses are super inconvenient in open world games. The reason being you don't usually walk on a straight, flat path, but instead are traversing over ledges, cliffs, mountains, etc., and riding a horse makes that impossible.

Chrono Trigger is extremely overrated. I mean, yeah, it is a pretty good game, but I'll never understand why so many people claim that it's the best jRPG ever made.

Shadow from Final Fantasy VI was... agh. So many people say that he was the most interesting and well written member of the main cast. I say there wasn't a single part of his character that was well written.
We're supposed to feel sympathy for him because he had to leave his partner in crime behind to be captured by guards, which was so much worse and more traumatic than Locke and Setzer both losing their respective true loves, Mog being implied to be last of his kind and have seen his people getting massacred, or Sabin and Edgar having to divide kingdom between themselves after their father was poisoned, with Sabing spending five years (do I remember that right? It was years since I played that game, I can't remember all details) in self exile, thinking he found his true call as a martial artist, only for his master and surrogate father to be murdered; all of this while his twin brother is questioning his own worth as king every day, fearing that he'll let his people down (and I didn't even list all of the tragic backstories among the player's party. With exception of Gogo, Umaro and MAYBE Strago every party member was through some serious crap). Somehow Shadow's best friend being imprisoned was traumatic enough for him to abandon his old name, take a new, ultraedgy one and seek a new life as bounty hunter with hope that one of his targets will put him out of his misery.
And the worst part is... there is no other part. That is about all there is to his character. He has no personality, no interests, nothing - he's built exclusively on that not-very-well written backstory. Just what's so "cool" and "badass" about him?

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon was crap, easily worst of the metroidvania-style Castlevania.
Stupidly strong enemies with attacks next to impossible to dodge that cause a metric shitton of status effects each? Check.
Magic system based exclusively on random drops, with a pretty good chance that you'll finish the game (or, more probably, stop trying at some point) without even knowing about many spells that are almost required to win? Check.
Ditching most of the series' mainstay upgrades in favor of new, extremely awkward to use? Check.
In general having awkward controls that will make you fall down miles-long shafts just as often as actually successfuly land on the platform you're trying to jump to? Check.

Heroes of Might & Magic IV was the best installment by far, with V as close second. III wasn't exactly bad, but just like Chrono Trigger - it's extremely overrated.

Shadow from Final Fantasy VI was... agh. So many people say that he was the most interesting and well written member of the main cast. I say there wasn't a single part of his character that was well written.
We're supposed to feel sympathy for him because he had to leave his partner in crime behind to be captured by guards, which was so much worse and more traumatic than Locke and Setzer both losing their respective true loves, Mog being implied to be last of his kind and have seen his people getting massacred, or Sabin and Edgar having to divide kingdom between themselves after their father was poisoned, with Sabing spending five years (do I remember that right? It was years since I played that game, I can't remember all details) in self exile, thinking he found his true call as a martial artist, only for his master and surrogate father to be murdered; all of this while his twin brother is questioning his own worth as king every day, fearing that he'll let his people down (and I didn't even list all of the tragic backstories among the player's party. With exception of Gogo, Umaro and MAYBE Strago every party member was through some serious crap). Somehow Shadow's best friend being imprisoned was traumatic enough for him to abandon his old name, take a new, ultraedgy one and seek a new life as bounty hunter with hope that one of his targets will put him out of his misery.
And the worst part is... there is no other part. That is about all there is to his character. He has no personality, no interests, nothing - he's built exclusively on that not-very-well written backstory. Just what's so "cool" and "badass" about him?
Just some minor corrections: Aside from what you said, Shadow is Relm's dad, seeing how Interceptor is friendly towards Relm, the fact that a certain exclusive item can be equipped by them, and the dreams where he's seen in Thamasa. There's also a dummied out scene between Shadow and Strago where Strago asks him to show him his face to see if he is Clyde. However, you're right that he's not the most interesting character. I guess people like him because he can do obscene amounts of damage with his shuriken.

Also, Duncan didn't die. You can find him in the World of Ruin and he will teach Sabin his ultimate technique if you talk to him (along with the skills you haven't learned by then). His wife foreshadows this by saying she knows he's still alive. At least, I remember a line of dialogue like that.

Also, Duncan didn't die. You can find him in the World of Ruin and he will teach Sabin his ultimate technique if you talk to him (along with the skills you haven't learned by then). His wife foreshadows this by saying she knows he's still alive. At least, I remember a line of dialogue like that.
I know. The point is, Sabin didn't know about it until World of Ruin and spent half of the game blaming himself for his death anyway.

I actually like the story in Breath of the Wild more than in nearly every other Zelda aside from Wind Waker. The way it's told mainly through the memory things was cool in merging gameplay with story (since Link was amnesiac and it makes some sense to be jarred into remembering things when visiting locations to jog them), and the characters were much more fun and interesting than in many other games (again, only Wind Waker's cast is as lovable to me). Every one of the Champions was cool, and I liked that this game's Zelda had a little bit of depth to her in her feelings of inferiority sorta about not being as magically-inclined as the previous Zeldas and all. I mean, it probably helps that I think Link/Zelda as a ship is super boring and thus Zelda being kind of cold to Link in some scenes didn't really bother me lol, but regardless. I do wish Calamity Ganon was played up as more of a looming threat in the world than it actually was, but eh.

Also, I liked the voice acting in BotW. I don't get why a lot of people act like it was terrible? It was perfectly passable, and some voices were actually really good IMO, like Revali's and Urbosa's. Zelda's is... er... well, it's tolerable, but admittedly the only real weak link wink since the accent is kind of distracting when it sounds fake.

On the Link and Zelda thing: Is it me, or only Wind Waker and Hyrule Warriors implied something? Or at least almost explicitly since I don't recall anything happening in the other games.

Half Life 2 is a really stale and boring game. It has interesting story and level design but the gunplay is stale and the AI is worse than Borderlands.

On the Link and Zelda thing: Is it me, or only Wind Waker and Hyrule Warriors implied something? Or at least almost explicitly since I don't recall anything happening in the other games.
Spirit Tracks also implied it quite heavily. Given that, you know, Zelda was along for the ride pretty much the entire time.

Also, I liked the voice acting in BotW. I don't get why a lot of people act like it was terrible? It was perfectly passable, and some voices were actually really good IMO, like Revali's and Urbosa's. Zelda's is... er... well, it's tolerable, but admittedly the only real weak link wink since the accent is kind of distracting when it sounds fake.
I liked it too with the exception of Zelda's voice, especially since Patricia Summersett isn't British she's American-Canadian. So yup, it's a fake accent.

--

I actually am really excited for fishing, gardening, cooking, etc. in FETH. Yeah it's most definitely not a traditional FE experience, but all that and the side quests(?) look really fun and engaging, it also looks like it builds up bonds with the characters going by the new bond-like meter. I think for my first playthrough I'll take a more casual/easygoing approach first with all this info we know so far, then start off with the usual FE experience in my second playthrough.

Back
Top Bottom