• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I like Minecraft, I like it because of what the community is able to come up with things making it into the official game. There are minigame servers for example. I just like the endless possibilities that it offers. I know the game is criticized, but I feel like it has so much more than you can do than what meets the eye.

This one seems quite unpopular, just gauging from what I have seen on other social media, but Super Mario Galaxy really doesn't need another sequel. I see so many people asking for a Mario Galaxy 3 and I just kind of wonder why. While the Mario Galaxy games are 3D games, they are pretty linear in many stages, and since Mario Galaxy 1, most of the main Super Mario games have been linear, whether in 2D, 2D with 3D looking models, or linear 3D games. The only game I can think of that doesn't fit this mold is Super Mario Odyssey. Linear Mario games have their place for sure, but I would just rather not see another major one for awhile.

Not only that, but the Mario Galaxy series itself just kind of feels done at this point. Like besides just making new levels, what are gameplay elements you can add to the series, without straying too far from what the Mario Galaxy games are? I honestly can't think of that many more different kinds of suit Marios, because there is just much different level design they can still explore.

I would just much rather see a sequel to Super Mario Odyssey, since the series is still fresh, and they are sandbox Mario games and still have a lot of different level types they can explore, as well as introducing new, or bringing back old enemies to explore the capture mechanic with.

___

Most multiplayer shooter games are just kind of, the same? Like, I honestly don't see much of a difference in them. You shoot other players, pew pew pew, hiding behind stuff. They're just kind of all the same. There are a few standouts, and I hope that other series start to develope with more standout qualities. Good examples of standout multiplayer shooter games would be Fortnite and Splatoon. While Fortnite can honestly be considered a meme at this point having a game where you not only shoot people but can build massive structures to take cover with. It's a unique concept (unless I'm totally missing the games that did this before). Then there's Splatoon, the kid-friendly but also can be really hardcore series that puts a lot of value into working with a team. It has the neat mechanic of using ink to shoot, but you can also use this ink to move around. There are all sorts of different weapons that are more than just guns too.

This one seems quite unpopular, just gauging from what I have seen on other social media, but Super Mario Galaxy really doesn't need another sequel. I see so many people asking for a Mario Galaxy 3 and I just kind of wonder why. While the Mario Galaxy games are 3D games, they are pretty linear in many stages, and since Mario Galaxy 1, most of the main Super Mario games have been linear, whether in 2D, 2D with 3D looking models, or linear 3D games. The only game I can think of that doesn't fit this mold is Super Mario Odyssey. Linear Mario games have their place for sure, but I would just rather not see another major one for awhile.

Not only that, but the Mario Galaxy series itself just kind of feels done at this point. Like besides just making new levels, what are gameplay elements you can add to the series, without straying too far from what the Mario Galaxy games are? I honestly can't think of that many more different kinds of suit Marios, because there is just much different level design they can still explore.

I would just much rather see a sequel to Super Mario Odyssey, since the series is still fresh, and they are sandbox Mario games and still have a lot of different level types they can explore, as well as introducing new, or bringing back old enemies to explore the capture mechanic with.
Super Mario 64 was not exactly linear either, and you could get certain stars before doing others. Sunshine was a little bit more limited but it allowed some exploration. With Galaxy it started to get more linear, and with SMG2 the levels are even in a line!

Super Mario 64 was not exactly linear either, and you could get certain stars before doing others. Sunshine was a little bit more limited but it allowed some exploration. With Galaxy it started to get more linear, and with SMG2 the levels are even in a line!

Sunshine was interesting because it had the 64 style open levels but then some of the “stars” (shrine sprites) were in separate “Secret of...” (I think that’s what they were called?) levels which were separate individual linear courses.

Odyssey definitely followed that pattern, but also with 2D portions added to the mix.

I think the Sunshine/Odyssey style is the best direction for the 3D Mario platforming series. I don’t mind the 3D Land/World series continuing on the side, but the ‘mainline’ series should never return to the Galaxy style. When all we had was Galaxy and 3D Land/World, those were dark days.

I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but I like Minecraft, I like it because of what the community is able to come up with things making it into the official game. There are minigame servers for example. I just like the endless possibilities that it offers. I know the game is criticized, but I feel like it has so much more than you can do than what meets the eye.
I like Minecraft as well but everytime I go to play somehow I end up playing Smash instead.

A controversial opinion on Pokemon Gold/Silver plot: Red may be ultimate badass and world greates trainer, but I'll never get why everyone both in and out of universe claims that he's responsible for fall of Team Rocket. All he did was stumble upon them by pure chance a few times, messed up some of their plans and caused their leader to ragequit - but even then it was pretty obvious that he AT MOST caused them to lay low for some time. He was inconvenience for them, sure, possibly even large, but not large enough for them to actually disband. Giovanni's "promise" to actually do it was so impossibly half-assed, I'm honestly surprised so many people took it seriously.
Credit for actually defeating them should go to Ethan/Lyra and Lance - they were the ones who tracked down their bases, they actively fought them and they played a key role in arresting their new leaders. And yet no one seems to ever mention it and everyone just treats it like Red kicking Giovanni's ass, then letting him escape after having a short talk magically caused everything and everyone releated in any way to Team Rocket to just poof out of existence. Why?

A controversial opinion on Pokemon Gold/Silver plot: Red may be ultimate badass and world greates trainer, but I'll never get why everyone both in and out of universe claims that he's responsible for fall of Team Rocket. All he did was stumble upon them by pure chance a few times, messed up some of their plans and caused their leader to ragequit - but even then it was pretty obvious that he AT MOST caused them to lay low for some time. He was inconvenience for them, sure, possibly even large, but not large enough for them to actually disband. Giovanni's "promise" to actually do it was so impossibly half-assed, I'm honestly surprised so many people took it seriously.
Credit for actually defeating them should go to Ethan/Lyra and Lance - they were the ones who tracked down their bases, they actively fought them and they played a key role in arresting their new leaders. And yet no one seems to ever mention it and everyone just treats it like Red kicking Giovanni's ass, then letting him escape after having a short talk magically caused everything and everyone releated in any way to Team Rocket to just poof out of existence. Why?
Only one roblem here: You forgot about Kris.

Pokemon Emerald really wasn't as amazing as a game as people say it is. Sure, it added new pokemon and allowed you to catch all three legendaries, but why people say it is good is the Battle Frontier from what I have seen. Once you get Rayquaza, the game is a basic cakewalk.

Pokemon Emerald really wasn't as amazing as a game as people say it is. Sure, it added new pokemon and allowed you to catch all three legendaries, but why people say it is good is the Battle Frontier from what I have seen. Once you get Rayquaza, the game is a basic cakewalk.
That's the same way I feel. As someone that doesn't care about the Battle Frontier (except the Battle Dome because I have a weakness for tournaments), the game felt underwhelming in hindsight, specially having to deal with two of the dumbest teams ever at the same time, and that were sprite swaps of each other.

That's the same way I feel. As someone that doesn't care about the Battle Frontier (except the Battle Dome because I have a weakness for tournaments), the game felt underwhelming in hindsight, specially having to deal with two of the dumbest teams ever at the same time, and that were sprite swaps of each other.

Out of all the third versions, this one was probably 3rd, only ahead of Yellow/Red/Blue depending on where you were

Emerald is dumb.

I believe that.

Perks or ORAS over Emerald

-Mega Evolution
-3D Steven Stone
-Villains with Actual Personality
-Mega Latias
-Mega Rayquaza
-3D Steven Stone
-Made Gen 6 good
-Handsome Archie
-3D Steven Stone
-Interesting Lore

WILL: A Wonderful World bored me so much that I didn't even bother finishing it. I like puzzle games and visual novels, and the artwork is great, but the story didn't draw me in and I just didn't care about the characters at all.

I actually really liked OZMAFIA!!, basing guys off of fairytales and mixing it with the mafia just really appealed to me (and anyone who knows me knows I love concepts like this), so it kind of surprised me that a lot of otome bloggers I follow and other otome places I frequent usually scoff at it.

I actually like Voltage Inc.'s games, sure they aren't exactly super high quality but I find them to be a fun pastime while waiting for other otome's to come out. And I just love going through their stories after a while of not playing them, I've been replaying EitM again on the Switch (which is another game that gets hated on in the community, but I like as well) and will replay Star-Crossed Myth tomorrow, so I've been in a Voltage Inc. mood lately. Also Metro PD: Close to You is still my top favorite of their games, which sadly gets overlooked quite often.

Norn9 is great and I like that playing each guys route has more slice of life stuff going on, but with some giving more of the plot still as you keep going (and honestly just play the fandisk, Last Era, if you want more info and backstories), since it's heavily more into the romance than the plot anyway. Also I like how it has three MC's, I would like to see more otome's do this tbh.

Hiyoko Saionji or however you spell it from Danganronpa is a good character and I really liked her.
She knows she's the absolute worst, so she just portrays herself as the best.
She's actually kinda funny.
Her relationship with Mahiru was so adorable.
After the second chapter, she became more vulnerable, even though it did leave her to death.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth doesn't look that good. Most of the game is spent in generic Matrix areas that all look the same, or rooms that intentionally have simple geometry and flat colours. A better game to compare Pokémon Sword and Shield's graphics to would be Digimon World: Next Order. Both Digimon games also use "characters talk in front of a screenshot background" cutscenes, which might be tolerable on Vita, but is inexcusable on PS4.

The GameBoy Super Mario Land games were good despite many people not liking them. Granted the Wario game was kind of different from other games in the series but it was creative and that's what matters.

Graphics are at the point where they don't improve that much, year to year.
And I personally feel that its been this way since between 2006, and 2009, depending on the series/genre.
Edit: Also, i don't mind ea games, but i just think that the older games tend to be better

Converging video-game timelines is a good idea to do with franchises that have more than one timeline.

Back
Top Bottom