• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Even the DS remake looks real blocky. Seeing it on the Switch, remade, would hopefully make it less painful on the eyes.

The DS in general was blocky, being a step back from GameCube.

With that being said, I very much enjoyed 64DS for having the option of using Luigi and Yoshi in case Mario didn't work out.

I don't get the appeal of Crash Bandicoot due to Crash's inability to take a hit and the whole "break every crate if you want to finish the game".

I'm aware of Aku Aku, but the problem is there's no restoring him unless you find another mask. From what I've seen, Spyro and Ratchet and Clank are more generous with the health.

Mario can usually take 2 hits though, plus starting with World, you could have a power up in reserve. And he has a better health system in 3D games, even if Galaxy onwards nerfed it to 3 hits.

I've also Shantae and Shovel Knight take hits and restore damage.

Then there's Sonic can technically take infinite hits.

Mario can usually take 2 hits though, plus starting with World, you could have a power up in reserve. And he has a better health system in 3D games, even if Galaxy onwards nerfed it to 3 hits.
Don't think this example counts, since Mario can only take one hit until he gets a Mushroom... which is the same situation Crash is in. He can take three hits with Aku Aku powered up. Also, I didn't count the (full) 3D Mario games because health works different there.

I think I should have said "traditional platformers", since Shantae and Shovel Knight are of the "Metroidvania" variety.

I am using a technicality, but Mario usually only gets a Mushroom first and once he's in his big form, can get other power ups allowing him a second hit.

I kind of dislike 2D Mario and much his 3D and RPGs.

VERY unpopular one here, but I hate it when people dismiss lootboxes/gacha and call them predatory... never mind all the games that give them out for free and you never have to pay a dime for a single roll such as final fantasy record keeper, dragon quest of the stars, dragalia lost, granblue fantasy, fire emblem heroes, king of fighters all stars, fate grand order, kingdom hearts union X, etc etc. if a gacha actually FORCES you to pay to win PvE content that’s a different story, but as it stands only PvP benefits whales and that’s optional compared to story stuff.
I am using a technicality, but Mario usually only gets a Mushroom first and once he's in his big form, can get other power ups allowing him a second hit.

I kind of dislike 2D Mario and much his 3D and RPGs.
Technically that didn’t come until mario 3 US, as the japanese version was 2 hit even with higher powerups like mario 1/lost levels. And then world went back to the old system, new super mario bros is when they actually gave us a 3 hit system in all regions.

VERY unpopular one here, but I hate it when people dismiss lootboxes/gacha and call them predatory... never mind all the games that give them out for free and you never have to pay a dime for a single roll such as final fantasy record keeper, dragon quest of the stars, dragalia lost, granblue fantasy, fire emblem heroes, king of fighters all stars, fate grand order, kingdom hearts union X, etc etc. if a gacha actually FORCES you to pay to win PvE content that’s a different story, but as it stands only PvP benefits whales and that’s optional compared to story stuff.
The thing is, even if you don't need to pay money, this never changes the fact that the option is always there. Obscenely low odds for the good stuff, constant rotation meaning you've only got a limited time to get the good stuff before they disappear for who knows how long, and 11 pulls for only a couple dollars tops. It's a nightmare for someone with a gambling problem or even just poor impulse control, and the designers know it. It's designed to take advantage of a specific group of people who either can't control themselves. The fact that you don't feel compelled to spend money only means that you're not the target audience.

The thing is, even if you don't need to pay money, this never changes the fact that the option is always there. Obscenely low odds for the good stuff, constant rotation meaning you've only got a limited time to get the good stuff before they disappear for who knows how long, and 11 pulls for only a couple dollars tops. It's a nightmare for someone with a gambling problem or even just poor impulse control, and the designers know it. It's designed to take advantage of a specific group of people who either can't control themselves. The fact that you don't feel compelled to spend money only means that you're not the target audience.
Define target audience, because every gacha has a different target audience, final fantasy record keeper for FF nostalgia, FEH for the fire emblem boom, fate grand order for the historical and public domain characters, granblue for the overly generic JRPG story, dragon quest of the stars for.. dragon quest, KHUX for the KH lore hunters....
And pull rates can vary from game to game, there’s pity rates, pity breakers, “sparking”, login bonuses, and so much more you can get from just playing the damn game every day
Like for example most people I know on the FEH reddit have around 300-1000 orbs, myself included, f2p. As for rotation, that’s not a common practice, most gachas have a permanent pool that all pulls come from when they add more, and demote the older pulls from the same pool that are 2/3 years old, events don’t count and even then event replay is becoming a thing, not to mention that most gachas can lock your credit card usage if you feel it’s becoming a problem if you contact their support page, and then they prevent you from using it in that game.

Last edited:
In speaking about Mario Kart, I like racing on Wario's Gold Mine because the music fits the funny overreactions the characters make when hit by an item.

So, yeah. I hate to be that way, but it just felt like such a bizarre game to me to be a Mario game, it was hard for me to enjoy.
The fun thing I find of this statement, is that for that same reason I liked it. I'm not a fan of the traditional Mario games, so something that felt so different was really enjoyable to me, although I feel the translation could use some help...

Why can't the Guardians in Legend of Spyro do something that is not getting captured or beaten up?
Two of them were supposed to wear armour.
But the developers rushed the games and lore was cut out.
If this trilogy gets remade, the story should get fixed.

Back
Top Bottom