• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

I've seen in numerous places that the dub voice acting for Trials of Mana is considered "terrible". I don't see it as that. Sure, it's got a bit of narm to it, but I feel it actually fits the characters better than everyone else says it does (except Charlotte, god her voice truly is terrible, being a mix of baby talk, Elmer Fudd, and an unexplained Brooklyn accent, that one I can agree with). Frankly, I find the voice acting almost fun, as it makes each character seem more unique and not a cut-and-paste stereotypical voice for them. Kevin's, for example, makes a lot of sense, as his Beastman/human hybrid blood is clearly causing some form of brain deficiency due to compatibility issues, hence his somewhat broken speech pattern (that can also apply to Charlotte, since she's also a hybrid, a human/elf one, though they did take that one too far).

But everywhere I go, reading or watching reviews, everyone criticizes the dub voice acting very harshly. Again, it's got a narm charm that I rather like, and I really don't see it as "terrible" like everyone chews it out for. To me, it fits better because the game has quite the colorful cast, and it is a super-remastered game from the 90's, so it does have that 90's charm/vibe to it. I've actually listened to the Japanese version and I find that version to be difficult to listen to. I wouldn't call it "terrible", I just don't like it as it doesn't sound as entertaining or unique compared to the dub. Everyone sounds so... generic with the Japanese version to me, while the dub sounds more colorful. While I normally am neutral to Japanese voice acting (Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth is an example that I'm perfectly fine with, especially since the cast and voice acting were equally colorful and charming), I find Trials of Mana's Japanese voice acting to be too bland and stereotypical. The dub feels more colorful, alive, creative, and fun, and in many cases it can really nail the situation better (Belladonna's breakdown, for example, at the Mana Sanctuary if you didn't use Hawkeye/Riesz as your main character sound genuinely heartbroken that her efforts were for nothing and she lost the one person she loved, now feeling that she has no reason to keep living).

But, yeah, everyone bashes the dub voice acting like there's no tomorrow yet I feel the dub is more fun and colorful while Japanese voice acting leaves a lot to be desired. So, yeah, I like the dub voice acting better because it adds more uniqueness and has a certain 90's narm charm that I rather enjoy (I was a 90's era kid growing up, after all).

Ezlo is one of the best Zelda companions. His dialogue is really funny and the concept of a hat with a head of a bird is funny.

Given the general gist I've seen I'm reasonably sure this is unpopular: Komaeda sucks, y'all. Now, admittedly I've only seen his behaviour during Chapter 1, but from what I've seen he appears to be an actively awful person with no redeeming qualities.

Given the general gist I've seen I'm reasonably sure this is unpopular: Komaeda sucks, y'all. Now, admittedly I've only seen his behaviour during Chapter 1, but from what I've seen he appears to be an actively awful person with no redeeming qualities.
This. I love this. Yet, at the same time I love him because I love awful characters

This one might be bit of a sore one for some but I feel that the Mario 3D All Stars game is a waste of money and shows just how shady Nintendo's marketing practices are. All three games are barely changed from their original form, some of the controls are wonky and clash horribly with the games and Switch's nature, they did the bare minimum to actually make these games worthwhile both gameplay wise and price, and the fact that they'll only be available until March of next year is a nasty tactic to forcefully promote the game sales and create a case of scarcity so they get sold on second-hand markets for outrageous prices. The icing on the cake is that they're also treating Mario Galaxy 2 like it doesn't exist by not including it. Plus, as someone who outright hates the Mario franchise (I feel it's way too overrated and overblown), I feel even more inclined to point out the flaws of this game and the underhanded marketing tactic Nintendo is using. Really, I just find the whole situation surrounding these games to be painfully obvious at what Nintendo is doing. I don't care if it's Mario's 35th anniversary, as it's just yet another scheme Nintendo is using to make fast cash without putting much effort into their product.

I've been thinking about Three Houses lately (but when am I not) and I think this is a fairly unpopular opinion: I really like Leonie and I don't understand why people hate her so much. I get that her obsession with Jeralt is kind of annoying but otherwise I find her a perfectly likable character and I like her a lot more than some of the other girls who seem to be almost universally loved (cough Edelgard and Bernadetta cough)
Well, this is like a few months late but I'll explain this if you haven't figured out yet and it ties in to an one of mine. The reason why a lot of people dislike Leonie is because of her B-Support where she criticizes Byleth for not appreciating their father Jeralt enough and this support is unlocked after his death, which soured a lot players. But my opinion while it could be taken harsh, she does have a point. Jeralt basically lived for Byleth since their birth regardless of how they felt since they couldn't feel any emotion until the events of the game, I like to believe Leonie said this cause she pick up that Byleth isn't normal emotion-wise in some way but couldn't figure out how. So she said this so Byleth could figure out what Jeralt truly meant to them, cause while he's gone, it doesn't mean you should stop appreciating them. Granted we never know Byleth's true thought process since we're them and a silent protagonists, so who knows!

While semi-related to Fire Emblem and I have sadly not yet played this game, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE. I like some of the censor costumes, especially the wedding dress one where I think it looks better than the uncensored version. While I understand the anger behind some parts of the games being censored, I hate that people just yell that censorship is evil without learning why it was done in the first place (my friends do this often), like the infamous gravure model thing in game, the main reason that was censored is because it's illegal in the States as far as I know. Do I wish it was handled a tad better? Yes, but I will live with it instead of having censorship be the root of all evil. Contrary to popular belief, I don't think video game censorship is as bad as people say it is.

Now moving on from Fire Emblem to a different game. XenoBlade Chronicles 2. While I understand the dislike towards his English voice, I actually think Rex, the main protagonist, is probably one of the best voices in the game outside of his screams in some cases and even that gets a pass from me. In-universe he's about in his mid to late teens (I think about at least 15 according to the devs) so it makes sense that his voice is a bit wonky and in fact it's only his screams that are literally the worst about it, but hey do you have a perfect scream or yell?

Last edited:
Talking about censored costumes, I also prefer Camilla's censored costume in Smash. The original + the relationship with Corrin is a big nope for me.
On that note I'd like to say that I prefer Mythra from Xenoblade Chronicles 2's censored costume in smash, although I don't know how popular that opinion is. I do like her default look in XC2 (I like it more than Pyra's by a long shot), but I think the black tights go really good with her costume.

Also Ursula is my favorite non-important blade in XC2 and I don't mind the grindiness that comes with strengthening her affinity chart. Maybe it's because I was lucky to get her extremely early in the game. I also don't mind Dagas either, despite him being kind of a pompous ass and having to fill his affinity chart up twice when I played through the game. His and Ayame's art is gorgeous.

(Another unpopular otome games post incoming, been replaying quite a few)

I actually like and don't mind mean/evil LI's, especially if it's already shown from the start/early on in the route and if they don't hide it. Like Laito and Ayato from Diabolik Lovers, it's also the reason why I'm going to do Yang's route after Nicola's in Piofiore. (bonus points if they just go with, and they don't try to justify themselves, they're just jerks just because)

Niche JP indie otomes should get some more love and recognition, my two favorites are July Revolution and In the Manor of the Earl.

Not all otomes (or any other VN for that matter) need to have many choices to be fun. Mainly cause in most cases, some of the choices aren't relevant to the ending(s). Amnesia for example, great game but most of the choices feel like they're just there for the MC's dialogue (or lack thereof).

Speaking of choices, when a choice scene comes in make it harder. I like playing otomes and other VN's where you think the option you picked goes great with the character's feelings, the atmosphere, or just a general question but it actually lowers your status with a character, making you get a bad or terrible ending. Cinderella Phenomenon's main routes were actually pretty difficult at times, as an example.

MC's don't need to overexaggerate when she and a LI hold hands, sometimes it gets annoying when they do that.

There is nothing wrong with true routes, it doesn't affect replayability nor does it affect your choices with other LI's. If anything most add to the story by filling in questions raised in other routes. (Collar x Malice comes to mind, since that's a current one I'm replaying)

Have more LI's be friendly with each other, one of the reasons why I really liked Code: Realize was because of Lupin and Impey's interactions. Voltage Inc. is guilty for having their LI's be hostile or totally indifferent to each other in various games, EitM had it's moments but then the LI's would either ignore each other or just argue/fight often (at least try to be cordial, all of you are living in the same house for a while lol).

Flirty characters are fun, and this goes for other game genres as well.

Obey Me!'s artwork is so good that I'm surprised to see some dislike it. I also like that it isn't really a true VN, but a card game to level them up. I also don't mind completing tasks to unlock more of the story.

This one might be bit of a sore one for some but I feel that the Mario 3D All Stars game is a waste of money and shows just how shady Nintendo's marketing practices are. All three games are barely changed from their original form, some of the controls are wonky and clash horribly with the games and Switch's nature, they did the bare minimum to actually make these games worthwhile both gameplay wise and price, and the fact that they'll only be available until March of next year is a nasty tactic to forcefully promote the game sales and create a case of scarcity so they get sold on second-hand markets for outrageous prices. The icing on the cake is that they're also treating Mario Galaxy 2 like it doesn't exist by not including it. Plus, as someone who outright hates the Mario franchise (I feel it's way too overrated and overblown), I feel even more inclined to point out the flaws of this game and the underhanded marketing tactic Nintendo is using. Really, I just find the whole situation surrounding these games to be painfully obvious at what Nintendo is doing. I don't care if it's Mario's 35th anniversary, as it's just yet another scheme Nintendo is using to make fast cash without putting much effort into their product.

It is a shame. Spyro and Crash Bandicoot both got trilogy releases with the games actually fully remade with modern graphics. Super Mario 64 gets... a port.

Nintendo has always done this. With Zelda, as well. The Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD are nothing more than remasters, but instead of Nintendo bundling them like other companies do, they charged full retail price for both individually.

It is a shame. Spyro and Crash Bandicoot both got trilogy releases with the games actually fully remade with modern graphics. Super Mario 64 gets... a port.

Nintendo has always done this. With Zelda, as well. The Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD are nothing more than remasters, but instead of Nintendo bundling them like other companies do, they charged full retail price for both individually.

I was actually going to mention Spyro and Crash in my original post, as even Activision is doing more than Nintendo, but I felt that might be a bit too harsh. But, yeah, Nintendo is only doing the bare minimum for their products while others, like Activision and Beenox, are putting in a huge amount of effort into their products. I mean, look at Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled. It went from a simple remaster of the original CTR to pretty much its own game that tapped into multiple parts of Crash's history for its content. And most of that extra content was free. That was incredible the amount of work Beenox put into it. Really, Nintendo puts pretty much zero effort in their products while other companies are doing much more. It's hard to justify the price of some of Nintendo's products when they've only put the bare minimum of effort into it.

Well, this is like a few months late but I'll explain this if you haven't figured out yet and it ties in to an one of mine. The reason why a lot of people dislike Leonie is because of her B-Support where she criticizes Byleth for not appreciating their father Jeralt enough and this support is unlocked after his death, which soured a lot players. But my opinion while it could be taken harsh, she does have a point. Jeralt basically lived for Byleth since their birth regardless of how they felt since they couldn't feel any emotion until the events of the game, I like to believe Leonie said this cause she pick up that Byleth isn't normal emotion-wise in some way but couldn't figure out how. So she said this so Byleth could figure out what Jeralt truly meant to them, cause while he's gone, it doesn't mean you should stop appreciating them. Granted we never know Byleth's true thought process since we're them and a silent protagonists, so who knows!

Oh yeah I understand that, and I don't think Leonie was entirely fair in saying it (although I agree that she did have a point), I just think it's weird that she's so heavily disliked when other characters in this game have said and done far worse.

Pardon me, but since you hate Mario, why do you care about Galaxy 2's exclusion (besides, it didn't include 64DS either)?

Good graphics don't equal good game. Updated graphics for Crash N. Sane and Spyro Reignited Trilogies doesn't make them better than 3D All Stars, or even the original Crash and Spyro. Likewise Odyssey's graphics doesn't make it better than previous Mario games despite having a realistic dragon.

Besides, these are remakes, not new games made out of scratch like Odyssey or the recent Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time or upcoming Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart.

They're not making anybody buy the game, just like Sakurai with Smash DLC, you decide if you want to pay extra money for extra content.

I agree on the price, but I'm at least glad the retail price is equivalent to one game as opposed to paying retail for all three combined.

I'm not as you say sore or anything, I mainly just wanted to get the graphics thing off my chest.

To answer you questions in order, no, I, personally, don't care about Mario Galaxy 2, but I know that others do. So, I was pointing out the fact that other people have complained that Galaxy 2 was not included. I, myself, don't care, but there are others who have been pretty vocal about its exclusion, thus that's why I mentioned it.

Secondly, to be technical, Spyro and Crash were rebuilt from the ground up, thus they're more than just remakes, as they were built from scratch. They didn't have access to the original source codes (or at least not good quality ones), so they had to rebuild them from the foundation up. Not to mention that they also added in extra stuff, like giving all the dragons in Spyro 1 unique designs and giving all of Spyro's new friends in Spyro 3 new designs instead of cut-and-paste or bland designs like the original trilogy. They also listened to fans and made improvements to the game, even delaying it in order to make the improvements. And in terms of Crash they gave extra content like Stormy Ascent and other extra levels. So, it's not just a graphic overhaul, as they did more than just that for Spyro and Crash. Mario 64 is just a port and nothing more while Spyro and Crash got a lot more love in that department, getting more than just updated graphics.

So, there is more to the situation than you think, as Crash and Spyro got significantly more love and TLC from their companies than Mario 3D All Stars got from Nintendo despite being their flagship franchise. That's what I'm getting at, as it's more than just a graphical overhaul, because Crash and Spyro got extra stuff alongside the updated graphics while Mario didn't.

The thing is there’s a big difference between remakes and remasters, while I find 3d all stars a lazy remaster, comparing the crash/spyro remakes to 3d all stars is like comparing justin bieber to elvis, there is no comparison. Like a remaster is the exact same game with a freash coat of paint and one or 2 QoL changes, which only galaxy did in the collection, but a remake is as you said, built from the ground up, not just graphically but also gameplay as crash plays totally differently.
That being said It’s more the limited digital release for me. And this isn’t exactly an unpopular opinion, twitter alone bitched about 3d all stars for literal months.
As for my own personal unpopular opinion about this subject, a remake should provide a new experience and not stay true to the og game, otherwise just port the og or make a remaster. Shadow of the collosus had a ps3 remaster and a ps4 remake, but the remake changes nothing about the story, so it kind of was the same thing as I played on ps2, just redone for a new generation.

Undertale wasn't as good as it was lauded as. To me personally, it took what made Earthbound fun and completely botched it, not giving its cast of characters much more beyond being "super quirky and whacky". I can appreciate that it tries to preach about the virtues of non-violence but that message is kind of lost when most violence in the game (and the types of RPG's the game lampoons) is self-defense and I feel like violence in order to protect oneself or others from obvious harm is morally sound. If you like the game then more power to you, but I just find it dull and not worth my time.

Not a fan of any of the Mario games, really dont get the hype.
I'm mostly indifferent to Mario Kart aside from 64, they just all kind of blend together for me honestly

I like the idea of Werehog Sonic. I kind of wish I had gotten Sonic Unleashed.
It's not all that bad, a bit too simplistic in terms of mechanics but hardly a deal breaker so give it a shot I'd say

Okay, this one's meta, and probably should be in the Smash Ultimate thread but uh...

...I sincerely do not get why hungrybox gets so much hate in the Smash community.

Back
Top Bottom