• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

I agree with the base concept, but imo the distinction is still a good thing. If you go into a game expecting it to be like others in the series even though it's not, you're just gonna be disappointed. Better to check your expectations at the door and go in prepared for something different.
On the other hand, I kinda this can also work in the favor of some people. I'm not a fan of space shooters like Star Fox, so seeing they did something different in Star Fox Adventures makes me curious about checking it out.

I would sooner see Birdo before Waluigi on the Smash roster.
Not sure if that's an unpopular opinion, or at least not one people use seriously. Although I agree with you on this.

Between Crash and Spyro, I'm itching for Spyro much more. I'm not going to be very happy if Crash makes it into Ultimate's Fighter Pass 2 without Spyro.
This, plus I also want Stewart Copeland's soundtrack in the game, although I'm not sure how likely that is...

People demanded Waluigi like crazy when Miiverse still existed where the insanity rivaled requests for Goku. He's still one of the most requested and the most requested Mario character that isn't Geno even with things having cooled down a little.

I can kind of see why though, he is the only one of the "plumber quartet" who hasn't become a playable character in a Smash game yet as well as being a general underdog in the Mario franchise itself. TBH, I don't mind the fact that he has been requested a whole ton.

Yes. As I mentioned earlier, there were Miiverse posts demanding him for Smash 4. "I won't get this game if Waluigi isn't in it." "I'm going to promote a daily Waluigi post until you make him playable." Paraphrased, but you should get the idea.

I can tell you that I 100%, unironically would love Waluigi to be promoted to playable in Smash. He's a legitimately fun and wacky character that has potential for a really cool moveset to be created for him.
Also, like, as Poke Dragon said, the other 3 plumbers are playable, he's kinda the odd one out in a strange way.

Waluigi's controversial enough that I personally think both supporting him and being against him in general equally don't count as 'unpopular'.

...But one divisive opinion that I have related to Waluigi is regarding the Wario sub-franchise as a whole. While I neither dislike Waluigi nor find him superfluous as a character, I think I'd like things better if spinoff series (Ex. Mario sport titles) gave any of the two popular/known Wario sub-series some attention by instead using a notable character in either series as a representative character affiliated with Wario; a la how Donkey Kong Country characters like Funky Kong, the Kremling Krew, and most commonly Diddy Kong have appeared in games such as Super Mario Sluggers, Mario Kart Wii, and the like.
Granted, Wario Land in particular doesn't really have any standout characters aside from Wario's nemesis Captain Syrup, and it's been over an entire decade since an actual installment came out; but WarioWare not only got a relatively recent (and moderately popular) installment in WarioWare Gold, but it has quite an expansive, quirky cast that I feel should naturally gel with the rest of the typical recurrent Mario cast. And there's already a character popular enough that she became an Assist Trophy character in Smash Bros. just like the purple plumber himself: Ashley. She's already had extensive promotion back when Nintendo Badge Arcade was still pumping out new badges, so she's already pretty damn memorable to even the executives too. So, why not have the little witch girl go for a ride in the sea of Mario spinoffs?

That being said, by the low chance that Waluigi somehow appears in Wario Land and/or WarioWare, I'd be pretty happy. And I'm willing to play a official game where Waluigi is the main character.

You know, you have a good point on how it's weird there are no WarioWare characters in Mario games. The only time I remember the two crossing over (without counting Smash) was in that Mario Kart arcade game, and even then, they only included Diamond City as a track.

This might be one of the most controversial unpopular opinions that I will most likely make. Between recent events of Free Melee and Nintendo's cease and desist of Big House, I understand why Nintendo is seemingly such anti-consumer. The Nintendo fandom is a very toxic community in some parts and very vocal minorities make things often worse for Nintendo and the fans. Especially after Big House screw themselves out of a tournament (quick note: I don't take Big House's and Free Melee's side against Nintendo, I personally believe they're at fault for their own C&D, but also I fully don't take Nintendo's side on the whole matter), they now act like entitled cry babies even though when they're 100% own fault for the loss of their own tournament and now are actively ruining other parts of the Nintendo fandom. The Ultimate players couldn't have their tournament cause of the Melee players prioritizing Melee above all else and never even bother to try and negotiate with Nintendo about using Slippi (as far as we know, neither side has confirmed they attempted to negotiate as of this writing) and they cry out foul play when it was their fault to begin with. Now they ruin the Splatoon 2 tourney for players by their supporters changing team names to variations of Free Melee, causing the stream to be cancelled, luckily not the tournament it seems. Even before, fans riot over Bring Back National Dex, especially a very vocal minority sent out threats to developers, people went f---ing beserk over Byleth being added to Smash not to mention regarding other fighters bringing some to the point of toxicity of absolute disgusting magnitude. Also bring up how toxic the Smash, especially the Melee community have been for years now.

I dislike how much anti-consumer Nintendo seemingly is, but considering how toxic their consumers are, I don't exactly blame them for their stance. I just hate how quick people are to make Nintendo the bad guy that deserves to be burned at the pike when the fans themselves are to blame for a majority of problems they face like the Big House cancellation.

Now to move on from this before this topic gets toxic.

~~~

On the topic of Waluigi, I don't know how "unpopular" this opinion would be, but while I like Waluigi, I don't support his inclusion to Smash Bros unless he makes the jump to the main Mario series or at least a bigger spinoff like the RPG's, or either Wario series of games. While I know Daisy hasn't been in a main Mario game since her debut, she's been a clone of Peach since said debut (to the point she used the same model as Peach like in Mario Tennis and Mario Party 3 until the GameCube era) so her being an echo fighter of such makes perfect sense. It's just Waluigi never had such availabilities as the other Mario characters, and while he's appeared in many spin-offs, how much they take from each doesn't really contest to a fighter in my opinion, especially when a lot of them like Kart, Party and the sports games sans Strikers wouldn't really work. Like considering he's supposed to be a pranker, he would fit right in WarioWare but he's never been brought in.

Speaking of fighters, I hate the "Too many FE Fighters" thing when Mario and Pokémon hog a lot of the spots as well. Like I understand Mario's the mascot franchise but did they need Dr. Mario and Piranha Plant? While Wario, Yoshi, and Donkey Kong (as well by slight extension Diddy Kong and K.Rool, so 13 fighters as a whole) represent their own franchises, they're still highly ingrain into Mario in some way. And Pokémon hog a lot spots as well, three of their fighters are very similar (Mewtwo, Lucario and Greninja) and Pichu somehow not being an echo fighter and yet no one complains about that but complain all about nine Marths. I also hate how six of their ten spots are Kanto representatives when every other gen in Smash only gets one, with Gen 2's only being a semi-Pikachu clone and it's pre-evolution. People complain that FE takes all the spots when there are other guilty franchises as well, especially when Nintendo's other big franchise Zelda has only six fighters with three of the six being variations of Link.

Only the "too many Fire Emblem characters" is popular (and there's only 8, not 9).

I can tolerate Dr. Mario for Ultimate given he's had some moves changed. Piranha Plant is new, and broke some molds, so its cool. How are Mewtwo, Lucario, and Greninja similar? They have chargeable neutral specials and Lucario and Greninja have a counter attack for their down special, but that's it. Do you want Pichu to be an echo? I didn't want Pichu back, but I'll at least accept it as a semi clone and not an echo. I agree with the over exposure of Kanto mons and wish people would cut Fire Emblem some slack.

At least they changed Link. He doesn't have his hook shot and his bombs are now remote controlled.

The whole free Melee thing is just bad, and it's also a shame that the Melee community ruined the Splatoon community to some extent. I agree with Ryoma Maser that it's really cringy to immediately assume Nintendo as the bad guy in this scenario, but this isn't the first time I have seen this sort of thing. When talking about how recent Pokemon games took a downturn regarding quality, instead of listening to reason, Nintendo is immediately blamed despite having examples of plenty of other Nintendo franchises that actually got the care they deserved, even when stating the fact that Metroid Prime 4 had restarted development since the developers weren't happy at how the game was beginning to turn out. Or the fact that Animal Crossing: New Horizons was postponed so they could make the game as best as they could.

I know that Nintendo has done some things against fans that weren't justified, but there are other things that are in fact, justified, like shutting down that Melee competition for using an illegal mod.

Last edited:
The need for video games to have adult content (alcohol, drugs, sex/nudity, intense violence, excessive blood, toilet humor and vulgar language) even though that normally doesn't impact the game (and I personally find it disturbing there are some who need that stuff, even if its digital). If it doesn't have that stuff, then only kids should play it and is otherwise not worth playing.

I understand the need and strategy of appealing to a wider demographic, but it feels kind of sellout-y just to appeal to a few extra people and contradictory as those type of games is excluding people because they're below the minimum recommended age.

Is it really necessary for the losing Street Fighter character to have blood on their face? Would Chrono Trigger really have been less memorable if Lucca and Ayla didn't get drunk?

Just to clarify so nobody calls me a wuss, I'm not against those things and won't get a game for having those things, I just don't need them to be satisfied and wouldn't pay much attention to them.

Last edited:
Now for another unpopular opinion I have: I like Mario Kart games that have crossover characters from other series or franchises, it's the closest thing we have to a Smash Kart and for one, I like to see what other series crossovers with Mario Kart (F-Zero anyone?). This is why I loved the inclusion of the Villagers, Isabel, Link, and the Inklings in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as playable racers.

Now for another unpopular opinion I have: I like Mario Kart games that have crossover characters from other series or franchises, it's the closest thing we have to a Smash Kart and for one, I like to see what other series crossovers with Mario Kart (F-Zero anyone?). This is why I loved the inclusion of the Villagers, Isabel, Link, and the Inklings in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as playable racers.
That already happened. Twice.

By the way, an Smash Kart would be perfect for me, too. I have been wanting something like for more than ten years.

That already happened. Twice.

The Blue Falcon, Mute City, and Big Blue are in the game, but not Captain Falcon himself. It would have been cool to see him being playable.

By the way, an Smash Kart would be perfect for me, too. I have been wanting something like for more than ten years.

Honestly, it could be called that or Nintendo Kart, just to have something that's exclusively first-party crossover now that Smash isn't like that anymore starting with Brawl. Plus, it would include characters who are not protagonists in their own series, which would be a dream come true in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom