• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Honestly, it could be called that or Nintendo Kart, just to have something that's exclusively first-party crossover now that Smash isn't like that anymore starting with Brawl.
Well, both Brawl's guest fighters were going to be in Melee if I recall correctly, so I feel Smash's intention was that from the start.

The Zero Escape series has an okay to mediocre soundtrack, especially 999's which I found forgettable.

I actually liked Door 1 in The House in Fata Morgana.

Ace Attorney series is overrated, I have no strong connection to the ones I've played and found most characters to be annoying. That said I can see why it's loved. (though I think Hotel Dusk is better, and no I haven't played it's sequel)

A Summer with the Shiba Inu was a fun and cute VN with surprisingly darker moments in the story, also it has dog facts in the menu which is cool. Definitely one of my top favorite ELVN's.

The Charming Empire while has good characters, art, and voice acting, doesn't have the best writing. I also dislike how each route is pretty much separate from each other, so it feels really weird and disjointed because of that. Also what is with Soshi's route having the heroine try and kill him in one weird scene with no build up/forewarning? Unless I missed something I was just like "okay?", I might play through it again at some point but right now, no.

7'scarlet was surprisingly boring, only two routes really caught my attention.

I dislike the idea that Alice=Alice routes should be played by the order of the drama CD's released, for those curious it goes by Black Rabbit > March Hare > Cheshire Cat > Hatter > King > Ura-Alice. Just play whichever route/LI you like most (though I think this way for all otomes and other VN's that are similar in general, unless of course a certain route has to be unlocked obviously).

Zero Escape had a soundtrack? No, really. I literally can't remember it having music.

EDIT: And no, this isn't sarcasm.
Yes the series indeed does have soundtracks lol, your comment shows how forgettable/mediocre their tracks are. The only one I can say I straight up actually liked is this track from Virtue's Last Reward:

from what I've seen of Cyberpunk, the game does not deserve that hype. Dev's clearly pushed a broken game out while the hype was still fresh to cash in.

I come bearing perhaps my hottest possible take I will have for a long time. Okay maybe I'm exaggerating I don't think Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice was that great. Definitely not Game of the Year material for 2019. I found the difficulty more unpolished compared to From Soft's other titles. I also wasn't a fan of the lack of customization or most of the soundtrack. However, I can see why people like it and respect their opinion. This take is like a year late, but I've been MIA for a long time so...

I can't really get into Mega Man much barring Battle Network. Of course my skill level certainly doesn't help. Classic requires too much precise timing and smart use of weapons. X is to my knowledge, basically the same thing but with Zero playable and I find it quite depressing as it basically means everything Classic Mega Man did meant nothing. I would probably get lost in Legends. Star Force's combat system is too restrictive given the limited room you have to move around.
Classic Mega Man isn't for the faint of heart, I'll say that. If someone was starting out, I'd sooner recommend they try Mega Man X since it's usually less unforgiving. However, the situation in Mega Man X's era is more complicated than Mega Man failing in my opinion. I don't think Zero was ever properly awakened during the Classic era, if that's what you mean by "depressing". What X game(s) did you try, out of curiosity? Some are better entry level titles than others.

Splatoon is another series where humans became extinct, but the remains of their civilization still influenced the intelligent sea creatures that evolved to live on land, thus in a way, replacing humans, the only surviving mammal in general from the time of humans is an intelligent cat named Judd who was cryogenically frozen. Even then, he was eventually automatically cloned by the capsule that kept him frozen.

I didn't play X. Outside of Battle Network, I've only played Classic.

I just watch videos of the others and don't think they're my thing. The thing about X that depresses me is that the world is basically in ruins after Wily unleashed the Maverick virus, humans are extinct, and Mega Man is heavily believed to be dead and implied to have been rebuilt as Quint. All of Mega Man's efforts went down the drain.
I enjoyed the first two X games (haven't played the others recently though) but it's definitely rather jarring going from the cartoon villain Wily of the classic series to him being the harbinger of doom.

Humans aren't instinct in X, though I get the impression from the wiki that their situation on earth gets increasingly dire as the timeline moves forward. But X had a human ally named Dr. Cain in the first half or so of the series.

The GBA version's soundtrack for Donkey Kong Country 3 is better than the SNES version. The SNES version is too dark and gritty most of the game and it just doesn't feel appropriate. The GBA's soundtrack fits the mood a lot better.

My most unpopular video game opinion is one that has the possibility to offend, to please be warned.

Personally, I believe that heavy story has no place in video games. If you are going to tell a story, it should complement the gameplay but never interfere with it. I should never finding myself watching a 5+ minute cutscene in a video game.

This is mostly why I stick to retro gaming. I'm very happy playing video games with no story.

Boss Rushes Are Bad Actually, for a couple of reasons. The specific example I'm thinking of here is Hollow Knight, but most boss rushes have these problems to some degree in my experience.
  • Barring a few exceptions, bosses are usually not designed to be fought in series. They're distinct challenges where the way you need to fight other bosses aren't really considered. For example, the Defender's Crest is practically mandatory to fight the Lost Kin, but not really worth the single charm notch against literally anything else. Most boss fights don't really work in rushes, especially the more obnoxious ones that either demand a specific setup to be tolerable, forcing you to bring that setup along for everything else, or ones that just throw your game off and basically just act as run enders most of the time.
  • When they introduce new bosses you need to fight through the rest of the rush to get another shot at. One of the best ways to minimise the frustration experienced when losing to a difficult boss is to allow the player to jump straight back in and immediately implement what they learned in their last attempt. To force your player to go back through a bunch of nonsense before trying again disrupts the gameplay loop and is actively disrespectful of the time the player is spending playing and trying to learn your game. Sometimes, like Hollow Knight, simply meeting the boss is enough to unlock the ability to freely practice on them outside of the boss rush setting. But:
    • Not all games allow you to do this, instead forcing you to replay the entire thing just to try and learn that bonus boss you can't practice with any other way
    • That doesn't fix the problem that you can lose an entire run, of both the boss or the rush as a whole before even reaching them, to a single careless mistake at any time, which wouldn't be nearly so devastating as if you were allowed to just retry the annoying one straight away.
  • And of course, let's not forget the fact that locking these additional bosses behind such an obnoxious gauntlet means that they can, by design, never be faced by anybody who can't be assed throwing their heads against the proverbial wall enough to push their way through to encountering them. I'm legitimately annoyed that I'll never experience the Pure Vessel or the Sisters of Battle simply because I can't slog my way through the Enraged Guardian, Lost Kin, No Eyes, and the Traitor Lord all in one go, when all of them were hot garbage fights on their own.

My most unpopular video game opinion is one that has the possibility to offend, to please be warned.

Personally, I believe that heavy story has no place in video games. If you are going to tell a story, it should complement the gameplay but never interfere with it. I should never finding myself watching a 5+ minute cutscene in a video game.

This is mostly why I stick to retro gaming. I'm very happy playing video games with no story.
Hoho~ Spicy! While I certainly disagree, this feels more like a personal taste thing that'd probably derail things to no end if we talked here. Happy to discus in private if you'd like, though.

Hoho~ Spicy! While I certainly disagree, this feels more like a personal taste thing that'd probably derail things to no end if we talked here. Happy to discus in private if you'd like, though.
You know where to find me if you want to talk about it, I'm always open to debate :)

Back
Top Bottom