• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Your Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Super Smash Bros. Brawl was better than Smash 4 or Ultimate.
Very interesting take, please elaborate. Don’t get me wrong, I probably put over 1000 hours into Brawl when I was younger, but I find I can’t go back to the pace of the fighting, especially after Ultimate. Subspace was awesome though, I’ll give you that.

In speaking about Smash Bros:

Ultimate's story mode should've definitely been Subspace Emissary-styled. While it would've been challenging to do it with almost 70 characters, it would've been awesome nonetheless to see all of these separate stories and conflicts converge into one final showdown against the two villains and their fighter-clones.

Besides, some fighter-alts can be seen as individual characters in their own right, the Koopalings are the prime example of this, which would've actually helped in terms of having which character in which location for gameplay purposes while remaining consistent.

Very interesting take, please elaborate. Don’t get me wrong, I probably put over 1000 hours into Brawl when I was younger, but I find I can’t go back to the pace of the fighting, especially after Ultimate. Subspace was awesome though, I’ll give you that.
I liked its slower pace and simpler tone. Ultimate just got waaay too crazy sometimes with the absolute myriad of different characters, ultra-competitiveness, and the pace being much too fast for my liking on occasion. To be fair, I liked the many different characters options a lot (still wish my boy Decidueye and the best version of Zelda, Toon Zelda, had made the cut,) but as you yourself said, the Subspace Emissary was awesome, and World of Light was to me, paltry by comparison. I just......reallllly missed the character interactions that we got in Subspace. If there had been something akin to Subspace in Smash 4 or Ultimate, I would have liked them much more. After all, the Subspace Emissary was my #1 favorite thing about Brawl.
In speaking about Smash Bros:

Ultimate's story mode should've definitely been Subspace Emissary-styled. While it would've been challenging to do it with almost 70 characters, it would've been awesome nonetheless to see all of these separate stories and conflicts converge into one final showdown against the two villains and their fighter-clones.

Besides, some fighter-alts can be seen as individual characters in their own right, the Koopalings are the prime example of this, which would've actually helped in terms of having which character in which location for gameplay purposes while remaining consistent.
Absolutely. It would've made Ultimate far more interesting in my eyes if its story mode had been more like Subspace. I personally found World of Light to be a slog. I beat it once, then basically said to myself, "never again."

Last edited:
I see a lot of love for Brawl, honestly...I'd say it's more unpopular to say Brawl is your least favorite, which, uh...yeah. Brawl is my least favorite, haha.

I'm not sure I really have a favorite Smash, though. I love all the variety in Ultimate, and the general zaniness and silliness of 64, and just the overall feel of Melee...idk, I just love SSB in general, even if I don't love all the games equally.

My least favorite would have to be 64, but that's due to, well, how lacking it is compared to the rest, but I can forgive that fault for the most part since it was the first game, so everything was going to be rough. No first game is perfect, after all. Just look at Kirby, Yoshi, Mario/Donkey Kong and Final Fantasy.

My least favorite would have to be 64, but that's due to, well, how lacking it is compared to the rest, but I can forgive that fault for the most part since it was the first game, so everything was going to be rough. No first game is perfect, after all. Just look at Kirby, Yoshi, Mario/Donkey Kong and Final Fantasy.
Yeah 64 is definitely lacking, but I still love it for what it is. I loved how goofy everything was and how over-the-top the sound effects and the audience were. My main gripe with the rest of the series is how subdued those things became.

This is gonna be quite the hot take, but Animal Crossing is straight-up mind-numbing, hot, stinking, repetitive garbage. There is no way in HELL I could find ANY enjoyment doing the same mundane tasks over and over and over and over for what little reward the game offers. The art style is also a huge eyesore and the characters are as boring and mind-numbing as the gameplay itself. I honestly cannot see the appeal of it.

I see a lot of love for Brawl, honestly...I'd say it's more unpopular to say Brawl is your least favorite, which, uh...yeah. Brawl is my least favorite, haha.

I'm not sure I really have a favorite Smash, though. I love all the variety in Ultimate, and the general zaniness and silliness of 64, and just the overall feel of Melee...idk, I just love SSB in general, even if I don't love all the games equally.
Honestly, while I have fond memories of Melee (since I first played as a kid turning a hospital stay) and Brawl, I kinda have mix opinions about them. Brawl Online is the reason is I hate Hyrule Temple since every time I went online to play, nearly everyone picks Hyrule Temple and my opinion of Melee has really gone downhill thanks to toxic Melee fans (not to mention the whole Big House fiasco a year or two back where Big House escape blame on something 100% their fault) and other shit.

I think I don't have a favorite either, since I like stuff equally about them all, though I can cliché-y say Ultimate is pretty much my favorite, since Smash 4 was a bit too slow for me while Ultimate is faster. SSB4 was probably why I geared towards fast-paced characters cause literally every other character felt slow. Though if we remove Ultimate's Everyone is Here thing, I probably say Smash 4 has the best roster out of all the non-Ultimate Smash games so far.

Here's something probably unpopular about Ultimate; while I really enjoyed all the newcomers, something just doesn't feel right looking back in hindsight. A lot of them were fan-demanded characters but it seems more catering to the base than anything. The base newcomers was fun but then we ended on Incineroar which wasn't really that exciting especially for me since I don't really like Incineroar (in fact the Everyone is Home/Dead webcomic is the thing that started making me like them better). Heck, Byleth while slightly disappointing as an end to FP1 was still more exciting than Incineroar was for me since Byleth actually looked fun to play compared to the fire cat's style I could never get an handle on. Like until we got to the Fighter's Pass we really didn't get some awesome picks that we didn't expect or demanded for years (though the kick in the teeth to Namco Bandai until Kazuya was not fun to watch). Like even though I didn't like some of the fighters at first for the Fighter Passes, they were at least interesting choices except maybe Banjo, Steve, Sephiroth and definitely Sora. And they joy on my face when Pyra & Mythra were revealed. But then we had to end on Sora, so disappointing yet this decisive shieldless floaty version of Hero was the one to heal the division of the Smash community (seriously, no "Why Sora is bad" videos, no Broken Base on TVTropes, literally Sora is a fucking Golden Child and I hate it that apparently I'm the only dissenter on the internet cause it makes no sense!). But enough about that, I've already complained about Sora enough in this thread.

I did like Sora in Smash, but... the floatiness didn't mesh well with me. I thought Sora was going to be faster and more aggressive.

On the other hand, I did prefer Incineroar over Decidueye for Smash, although that was mostly because Decidueye already has Pokken. I admit that my opinion would be the opposite if their places were reversed.

And now that I mention Pokken: I feel like it was false advertising naming it like that... The game doesn't play like Tekken, it plays like Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm. I like the Naruto games and Pokken, but man, I wanted a traditional fighter with Pokémon....

This is gonna be quite the hot take, but Animal Crossing is straight-up mind-numbing, hot, stinking, repetitive garbage. There is no way in HELL I could find ANY enjoyment doing the same mundane tasks over and over and over and over for what little reward the game offers. The art style is also a huge eyesore and the characters are as boring and mind-numbing as the gameplay itself. I honestly cannot see the appeal of it.
Glad I'm not the only one!! I've never played one and I have exactly 0.00 interest in doing so.

Honestly, I agree about Animal Crossing being repetitive, especially when so much of the content is tied to something that's completely random. I tried to 100% New Leaf and I just gave up once I got to the parts where I have to wait for that mythical day when a character I want visits my village, bonus points for that character also having the art piece you're missing for the museum.

And after hearing about New Horizons lacking so much of the dialog that gave New Leaf so much charm, that further cemented my decision not to get New Horizons.

Here's something probably unpopular about Ultimate; while I really enjoyed all the newcomers, something just doesn't feel right looking back in hindsight. A lot of them were fan-demanded characters but it seems more catering to the base than anything. The base newcomers was fun but then we ended on Incineroar which wasn't really that exciting especially for me since I don't really like Incineroar (in fact the Everyone is Home/Dead webcomic is the thing that started making me like them better). Heck, Byleth while slightly disappointing as an end to FP1 was still more exciting than Incineroar was for me since Byleth actually looked fun to play compared to the fire cat's style I could never get an handle on. Like until we got to the Fighter's Pass we really didn't get some awesome picks that we didn't expect or demanded for years (though the kick in the teeth to Namco Bandai until Kazuya was not fun to watch). Like even though I didn't like some of the fighters at first for the Fighter Passes, they were at least interesting choices except maybe Banjo, Steve, Sephiroth and definitely Sora. And they joy on my face when Pyra & Mythra were revealed. But then we had to end on Sora, so disappointing yet this decisive shieldless floaty version of Hero was the one to heal the division of the Smash community (seriously, no "Why Sora is bad" videos, no Broken Base on TVTropes, literally Sora is a ******* Golden Child and I hate it that apparently I'm the only dissenter on the internet cause it makes no sense!). But enough about that, I've already complained about Sora enough in this thread.
No I’m with you in regards to Ultimate’s newcomers. Some great choices (Hero and Steve are probably the most fun I’ve had playing any Smash Bros because of their unique mechanics), but way too much emphasis on third party reps at the expense of Nintendo.

Sora in particular feels off, because other than the Hidden Mickey at the end of his Keyblade, we have nothing Disney-related whatsoever and what seem like pretty weak attempts to erase that aspect of his character when it’s literally what the series is all about. So yeah, fellow dissenter here; you’re not alone ;)

- Well this is gonna ruffle some feathers, but: I genuinely find Legends: Arceus to be overrated and an extremely mediocre game overall. For me personally, it's one of my least favorite Pokémon games. I found it such a disappointing and frustrating experience that I'm kinda soured on Pokémon games currently and I'm even having a bit of a hard time getting excited for Scarlet and Violet (but I'll probably get more excited for it once even more information comes out and the release date is near).

- Although I definitely enjoyed Super Mario Odyssey, I think it's my least favorite of the Mario 3D titles (not counting 3D Land and World). I fully completed the game, but I haven't really played it since, whereas I kept returning to Sunshine and the two SM Galaxies especially even after I finished them. It does help that I have a huge amount of nostalgia for 64, Sunshine and the two Galaxies, but even then I had a few issues with Odyssey that made it a bit less enjoyable (even though I appreciate that it's a very polished game, much more so than Sunshine especially).

- I find the Super Smash Bros. series a bit overrated (even though I have a ton of great childhood memories of Melee and Brawl), although I fully admit that's because I'm absolutely awful at multiplayer. I enjoy the Smash games moreso for the single player features.

- I find the Super Smash Bros. series a bit overrated (even though I have a ton of great childhood memories of Melee and Brawl), although I fully admit that's because I'm absolutely awful at multiplayer. I enjoy the Smash games moreso for the single player features.
I think you should not try the other platform fighters. I do love Smash and the fact it popularized a genre, but I feel the others focus waaaaay too much on multiplayer, to the point Rivals of Aether is borderline only that (the story mode was... lacking). Although in the Nickelodeon game case, it was because Viacom interfered with anything else they could do...

I wonder when will they realize that single player, well, players like us exist. And that most games can't be supported just by competitive modes glares at Street Fighter V's launch.

This'll probably be a hot take but I'm actually not looking forward to the open world aspect of Scarlet and Violet. I've really grown tired of how everyone and their grandma wants open world everything. Open world isn't as great as everyone makes it sound like. Legends Arceus nailed the "style" of open world that I like, as you're given the freedom to roam in an area yet you still have to follow the plot. While I like Digimon World Next 0rder I didn't like how open and empty many of the areas felt, especially the really big areas like Server Desert. That's my fear with Scarlet and Violet, as too much open-ness could lead to problems. I'd rather have at least some form of linear path to follow with freedom to explore at my leisure than a big world where everything is determined by the whims of the player. It's probably one of the reasons why I love Breath of Fire 3, as you're given the freedom to explore at your leisure (such as fishing or investigating the "!" or "?" areas) yet you still have to follow the path you're on. Frankly, the whole open world aspect to me has gotten very, very stale and repetitive. I'd like to see it take a backseat for a while as I've grown very tired of it, largely thanks to the overrated Breath of the Wild popularizing the concept. I don't mind linear if it's done right, something that Gen 5 nailed. Overall, while the games are looking better (though I'm still apprehensive of them) the open world aspect is leaving a sour taste in my mouth, as I've grown extremely tired of it and want it to take a backseat for a change instead of it becoming the new norm for everything.

Nope, neither of you are alone. I'm not a huge fan of open world in general (with a few exceptions), but specifically, I've never really liked the idea of an open world Pokemon game. I like having a general idea of what I'm doing and where I'm going, and open world games make that difficult because I get very easily overwhelmed trying to prioritize what to do/where to go next, and that just ruins the fun. I'm still going to play it, for the record - I always enjoy Pokemon games no matter what, even my least favorite titles - but I'm not happy about the open world angle.

I don't play that many mainstream games so my opinions typically aren't either popular or unpopular. Nevertheless, I do have two in particular that will rustle some jimmies.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is a bad game.
DmC: Devil May Cry was a lot better than DMC5 and I would have much preferred them continue on in the Reboot Timeline as Itsuno wanted to rather than return to the Original Timeline as the Execs at Capcom told him to.

Back
Top Bottom