• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Yow - Nintendo issues recall for Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon

Misty

I'm the TRASH MAN! I eat GAHBAGE!
Reaction score
http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=5843

Soon after the release of the new Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Blue Rescue Squad game for the DS, a bizarre problem seemed to rear its ugly head; it seemed that if one plays the game with a Game Boy Advance cartridge put into the DS, Blue Rescue Squad would somehow delete the backup data of the cartridge in question. This is complicated by the fact that this appears to happen on any Game Boy Advance cartridge that isn't Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Red Rescue Squad.

Nintendo of Japan has said that the best way to deal with this problem is to play Blue Rescue Squad with no GBA cartridge inserted into the DS. However, Nintendo's not just abandoning tis customers - they will be recalling and replacing the data-erasing cartridges with normal-functioning ones on December 8. Those unfortunate enough to have already bought their copy can exchange theirs through Nintendo's official website or by telephone.

How horrible IMO.

Bulbanews article

Last edited by a moderator:
At least it'll be fixed before an English release.

But really, that's something they should have picked up in testing - that's just shoddy work on the their part.

I can't imagine that the code (which must obviously be faulty somehow to cause such a problem) wouldn't have thrown up SOME error even when accessing Mysterious Dungeon Red. It might have been 100% successful, but if there was an inherent error in the coding the debug should have thrown something up.

I'm just glad it wasn't Mysterious Dungeon Blue I imported. My FR game tends to live in my DS - it could have been pretty disastrous if it got wiped.

Before I saw this, I was considering importing a copy of this game (being a Fushigi no Dungeon game, I have my doubts about it being released overseas, even though it's a Pokémon game) but now I'm going to wait a few weeks to make sure I have a fixed copy, or just get the GBA version.

Hopefully this incident will get Nintendo's testing team to put in some extra effort to make sure the same thing doesn't happen with D/P.

Couresty of Penny Arcade!

20051130h.jpg

I love those guys :D

sdfjdslhdfhgdh you're kidding. How could they have not caught this before it was released?

Ketsuban said:
sdfjdslhdfhgdh you're kidding. How could they have not caught this before it was released?
Probably because they only tested the two games together, and no other games.

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Wow, Penny Arcade got on that fast. And on an imported game, too!
The news has been getting around. The only trouble is that the facts seem to differ between each report. Even Penny Arcade doesn't have the exact facts straight. I think the Bulbanews article is accurate, though.

MistyIRC said:
This is complicated by the fact that this appears to happen on any Game Boy Advance cartridge that isn't Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Red Rescue Squad.

Since a game like Ruby or LeafGreen isn't Pokemon Mysterious Dungeon: Red Rescue Squad, the Penny Arcade cartoon isn't really wrong.

Oh, they get away with that. But "We are aware of this problem but at this time..." doesn't reflect the actual attitude from Nintendo.

Pfft.

Nintendo's official attitude with anything is non-awareness.

I once e-mailed NoE questioning Ruby/Sapphire's European release following its US one and the reply told me no such games existed....

Although, if you're nitpicking on that level, Gabe should also be speaking Japanese. As should the Nintendo call-person. Who wouldn't be called Bob.

Artistic liscence exists for a reason. ^^

Lay-off nintendo!
Can anyone really expect them to make such a classic line of games without at least one bug? And at least be thankful they're fixing the problem! I'm in Australia and there are rumours that the games will never even reach our shores!!!!!

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom