1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If your account is currently registered using an @aol.com, @comcast.net or @verizon.net email address, you should change this to another email address. These providers have been rejecting all emails from @bulbagarden.net email addresses, preventing user registrations, and thread/conversation notifications. If you have been impacted by this issue and are currently having trouble logging into your account, please contact us via the link at the bottom right hand of the forum home, and we'll try to sort things out for you as soon as possible.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Bulbagarden has launched a new public Discord server. Click Here!
    Dismiss Notice

Z-Moves: Do you even use them?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Video Games' started by Life, Nov 23, 2016.

1. CakeFairyForever

CakeFairyForever Sorry About Your Plane

Blog Posts:
    I use them in a boss fight if I'm struggling and sometimes in a random encounter with lots of calls for help. I like them way more then Megas.

Sakuraa likes this.
  2. Zkat

Zkat Member

Blog Posts:
    I've only ever used the Z-crystal for Incineroar (in case I want to defeat a Pokemon quickly). I haven't been using the Z-crystals much because I like being able to hold items, but maybe I should try more of them out.

3. Arceus the Dragon

Arceus the Dragon Destroyer of Fairy, Steel and Ice types.

Blog Posts:
    Most of my party has Z-crystals. Only Decidueye and Solgaleo have not got one. Decidueye is carrying Amulet Coin so I earn more money.

4. Gengarzilla

Gengarzilla And Mega-size it, please.

Blog Posts:
    I'd stick to using them with status moves like Parting Shot (Alolan Persian) or Conversion (Porygon-Z) for the additional effects they grant.

TechSkylander1518 likes this.
  5. ~ Blazing White Yang

Blog Posts:
    I use my Primarina's Z-Move a-lot for the fun of it, but for the large part I like the Z-Status Moves more than the attacks due to the array of secondary effects.

6. Kyriaki

Kyriaki The Future Hero of Alola

Blog Posts:
    I find them incredibly useful to get out of tedious battles by one-shotting particularly irritating pokemon (stallers such as Clefairy and Clefable and the like)

I also like using the Z-move for Decidueye because the animation for it is super awesome.

7. Sakuraa

Sakuraa #Hoennhatisbesthat

Blog Posts:
    I've been using them almost non-stop since I got to Akala. At first I only had a few Pokemon that were compatible with the crystals I had, meaning I was pretty much just stuck with stat Z-Moves. Since I've been making more progress and beating more Trial Captains, more of my team members now have Z-Crystals that can benefit them. Since, I'm also a bit under-leved, I tend to use them a lot against Totems and major trainers.

8. leetic

leetic ¡Prepárate a morir!

Blog Posts:
    I made it through a majority of the game without using them, but I was forced to use them in the E4 out of desperation. After all, when they are using them and pretty much have a guaranteed 1HKO on you, it only makes things fair.

9. cityvillain

cityvillain Minion of the Damned

Blog Posts:
    I use it at least once for each crystal just to see the animation.

10. PkmnTrainerV

PkmnTrainerV Flame Trainer

Blog Posts:
    I've noticed that I use Z-Moves whenever I'm particularly irritated with one of the opponents Pokemon.

11. Uhane

Uhane Member

Blog Posts:
    Z moves didn't excite me at first but I ended up using them quite a lot.

12. Lufenian

Lufenian we could be giants

Blog Posts:
    I've used them more than what I thought I would.

Finishing a trial/boss fight with a Z move just feels so fitting, like a grand finale.

13. Life

Life oh my

Blog Posts:
    Somehow I never found myself defending against Z-Moves all that often. Only in 3 Kahuna battles did they use them, and I think in 1 or 2 trainer battles they also had a Z-Ring. Even during the E4 the only one who used one against me was the Champion. I wonder if there's a certain requirement for them to use the moves?

14. Peridorito

Peridorito The new leader of the Crystal Gems

Blog Posts:
    I don't use them that much. The only Pokémon in my party who has a Z-Crystal is Primarina, and I only use her Z-move for Pokémon that I'm having an extremely tough time with. I'll probably need to change that hough since I still haven't battled the Elite Four.

15. Soki

Soki Beep Boop
    Staff Coordinator

Blog Posts:
    I'm not a big fan of the Z-Moves, so those Crystals have stayed in my bag during the whole game. I hope playing competitively without them is possible too, I just really don't want to use them ^^;

16. IncineROAR

IncineROAR Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I really didn't use them as much as I did ME. Z-moves were only useful against the totem Pokemon and the Elite 4.

17. TechSkylander1518

Blog Posts:
    I usually just use Stoked Sparksurfer or Oceanic Operetta to make sure I take out opponents, but I'm hoping to work up a strategy for the fun status moves.

18. dragon_nataku

dragon_nataku Vice-President in Charge of Volcanoes

Blog Posts:
    I dont think I even tried them until somewhere in the middle of Akala. The animations prior to the move itself take waaaaay too bloody long and I think the trainer moves to use them are incredibly silly, and not in a good way. Thus, I barely use them. I much preferred mega evo since the changes applied to all of that Pokemon's moves, not just ones that match the Z-crystal being used

19. UB-01 Kenobi

UB-01 Kenobi If she's UB-01, I'm UB-01

Blog Posts:
    don't worry about it only a handful of comp teams incorporate z-moves at all (and even then it's usually z-memento, z-conversion, or z-sandstorm or something like that, not an actual attack)

Soki likes this.
  20. Sakuraa

Sakuraa #Hoennhatisbesthat

Blog Posts:
    Z-Moves are definitely one of my favorite features, if not my favorite features of Sun and Moon. And having beaten Sun and now in the middle of Moon, I can officially say that I'm a huge Z-Move user. All Pokemon in my party always hold Z-Crystals, whether they're temporary members or not. And just like before, I mainly use them for hard bosses like Totems, Kahunas, E4, and other major trainers. In Sun, all of my Pokemon used Z-Moves that matched their types (Torracat used Inferno Overdrive, Togedemaru used Corkscrew Crash, etc) since it was my first time using them. In Moon, I'm trying to be a bit more different and have my Pokemon use Z-Crystals that aren't their types for more diversity.