• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Z-Power and Team Rocket's Z-Moves

Reaction score
Created a new thread since this discussion doesn’t seem to fit in any of the general threads we have now. (I'd like to be informed if there is one where this post fits.)

Thanks to the Necrozma arc, we know that the amount of people delivering Z-Power affects the Pokemon in question. It is confirmed that a Pokemon is capable of absorbing Z-Power from multiple people and is affected accordingly (with Necrozma attaining Ultra form when the entire Alola region, Solgaleo and Lunala supplied it Z-Power),

When Ash (and other trainers) uses Z-Moves, the trainer is the only one delivering Z-Power, so the Z-Moves will have their typical strength.
But it is different in TRio's case. When any of them performs a Z-Move, the entire trio performs the poses and delivers Z-Power to the Pokemon in question.

Since Mareanie/Mimikyu absorb the power of three humans/Pokémon instead of one in the case of the other trainers, shouldn’t any Z-Moves performed by them have thrice the power as compared to typical Z-Moves?

Their unity makes for a unique scenario regarding the power of their Z-Moves.

I'd love to hear the thoughts of others on the topic!

Since Mareanie/Mimikyu absorb the power of three humans/Pokémon instead of one in the case of the other trainers, shouldn’t any Z-Moves performed by them have thrice the power as compared to typical Z-Moves?
Maybe Team Rocket's individual Z power is less powerful than an average individual's Z power?

I think multiple individuals contributing to a Z-Move wouldn't increase the power, but rather expend less Z-Power from each individual, so for instance Nanu's Black Hole Eclipse theoretically wouldn't be weaker than the TRio's, but he would use up more of his Z-Power compared to Jessie or James on an individual scale.

I agree it’s probably just a plot hole, but I don’t think Team Rocket has low Z-Power. Exactly why would they have a lower Z-Power than each and every Z-Move using trainer in existence? Meowth could arguably have less power compared to humans but Jessie and James have no reason to have a lower Z-Power,

Last edited:
Well, this episode certainly proved that one of them is capable of maintaining a Z-move alone.

(Honestly I'm not sure there's much to read into in this - I think they just like doing stuff as a team, and would do so regardless of the effect. Besides, based on what we've seen of their joint Z-moves I don't think there really has been a power effect anyway...)

I've also just assumed that we're overthinking this entire thing and that only the one wearing the Z-Power Ring is actually contributing the strength or whatever it is for Let's Snuggle Forever/Black Hole Eclipse. The other two simply join in because the TRio are a tight-knit group of wacky buddies, I think.

I've also just assumed that we're overthinking this entire thing and that only the one wearing the Z-Power Ring is actually contributing the strength or whatever it is for Let's Snuggle Forever/Black Hole Eclipse. The other two simply join in because the TRio are a tight-knit group of wacky buddies, I think.
This pretty much. The TRio's always been about theatrics which is why they're always doing their motto. It would be no surprise if they're performing the Z-moves together simply for the sake of being dramatic even if they don't have to.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom