• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Mafia ZD X BMG 2019 Link’s Awakening Hydra Mafia Crossover Game Thread

Role PMs:

Town
Hydreigon & Shelgon GX:
Hello Max and MegaPod! Welcome to Link’s Awakening Mafia! Today you are Tarin the Town Mushroom Collector.
index.php

Marin’s dad, and suspiciously similar to a certain mushroom-loving plumber, Tarin likes to spend his days searching for shrooms in the Mysterious Woods. The mushrooms he eats transform him into Super Tarin, but he also gets a little hallucinationy. Every night you can eat a mushroom. You will transform depending on the effects of the mushroom but you’ll also change reality as it clashes with your hallucinations.

1. Red mushroom with white spots
  2. First one but with an angry expression
  3. Yellow mushroom
  4. Toad
Please confirm in your individual accounts in the sign up thread.

You win when the mafia are defeated.
Mafia Nursing Home:
Hello Final Arcadia and TheCapsFan! Welcome to Link’s Awakening Mafia! Today you are BowWow the Town Vigilante.
index.php

What? No that’s not a chain chomp, don’t be silly. This is BowWow, Madame MeowMeow’s pet dog. He unfortunately wanders off his chain every now and then and gets kidnapped by moblins. :( Luckily, Link is there to save him and take him for a walk! Since you like munching everything and everyone in sight, you are the Vigilante. You may choose someone every night phase to chomp.

Lone_Wolf:
Hello Darth and Lone! Welcome to Link’s Awakening Mafia! Today you are The Owl the Town Cop.
index.php

No, come back, this isn’t Kaepora Gaebora! Nope nope just a nice, ordinary, dream guardian owl guide thing. The Owl guides Link on his journey to gather the Intruments of the Sirens and awaken the Wind Fish. You use your owly wisdom to determine who is friend or foe. Thus, you are the Cop. However, even wise old owls make mistakes sometimes. Every night you may investigate a player, your results will be Friend, Foe, or No Result.

leetic and the band:
Hello Funnygurl and Oricorio! Welcome to Link’s Awakening Mafia! Today you are the Photographer the Town Roleblocker.
index.php

Say, “Fuzzy pickles!” Wait, wrong game. The photographer is a little mouse dude who follows Link around, ever searching for the perfect photo op. Your passion for photos is so strong you’ve been known to beat people up who decline to be immortalized by your camera. Every night you can choose someone to take a picture of. The night is dark and your flash is bright, causing your target to be blinded and stunned for the night. Your camera also has interesting effects on spectral beings. (Also that picture is you taking a picture of Link as you're falling off a bridge)

Scumlords and Noobs:
Hello Contrainer and Lazyspy! Welcome to Link’s Awakening Mafia! Today you are Ghost the Town Miller.
index.php

Boo! Oh, you’re not a Boo. Ghost haunts Link until Link takes him back to his grave. Totally harmless, but you wouldn’t think so by looking at him, would you? Therefore, you are the Miller. Any cop checks on you will give a Mafia result. You also have a strong aversion to magic powder and threaten to curse anyone who uses it on you.

Tommy and Hal:
Hello Duskfall and hal! Welcome to Link’s Awakening Mafia! Today you are Marin the Town Doctor.
index.php

The lovely maiden Marin finds Link unconscious on the shores of Koholint. She and her father Tarin nurse him back to health and return his lost shield. Marin also teaches our hero The Ballad of the Wind Fish, necessary to waking him from his slumber. Every night you can choose someone to heal, this will protect them from most threats.

dum dum idiots:
Hello LG and Pendio! Welcome to Link’s Awakening Mafia! Today you are Syrup the Town Witch.
index.php

Ah, Syrup, the kindly witch. All day long she sits in her hut double double toil and trouble. If you find her a Sleepy Toadstool in the Mysterious Woods she’ll supply you with your very own supply of magic powder. She’s also rather mischievous, as witches tend to be. If you throw the magic powder on someone, well, who knows what could happen? Each night you can choose someone to powder, the effect, if any, will vary depending on the target.

thesunspear:
Hello Moe and Sunfan! Welcome to Link’s Awakening Mafia! Today you are Link the Town Jack of All Trades.
index.php

Our courageous hero, Link, washed ashore on Koholint after a great storm destroyed his ship. He soon realizes the only way to escape Koholint is to gather the Instruments of the Sirens and wake the Wind Fish. At first, you wash up on Koholint with nothing but your Shield, but as you explore, you discover new items to help you. You possess a 1x bulletproof that you can use during the night phase to guard against most attacks. This bulletproof is not passive, you will have to tell me you want to use it.

Mafia
Zinn Mask Salesman:
Hello Zinn and SMS! Welcome to Link’s Awakening Mafia! Today you are DeathI the Mafia Godfather/Roleblocker.
index.php

What? Gohma? Nah man not Vaati either. This is Death Eye, hugeeeee difference. The final form of the Shadow Nightmares, DeathI is no joke. It swings it’s enormous arms at Link constantly, resulting in a manic game of jump rope. You like to keep your one enormous eye closed during battle, cause if you can’t see them, they can’t see your enormous weak point. You are investigation proof, but not bulletproof, instead your second ability is that of Role Blocker. Every night you can choose someone to block, just like you block the Wind Fish from waking.

Please confirm in your individual accounts in the sign up thread. I’ll link you to mafia chat in a sec.

You win when the town is overrun.
Chillian:
Hello Deku and Kris! Welcome to Link’s Awakening Mafia! Today you are Giant Zol the Mafia Bulletproof.
index.php

Oh wow lol a lil ol slime what’s that supposed to- WHY WON’T YOU DIE!!! The Giant Zol is one of the Shadow Nightmares that keep the Wind Fish sleeping. The first of the six forms of the final boss, the Giant Zol serves as an indestructible obstacle to Link’s victory unless Link uses Magic Powder. Since every time you are attacked you simply appear elsewhere, you are Bulletproof. No normal night actions can harm you, unless something were to happen.

Please confirm in your individual accounts in the sign up thread. I’ll send you the mafia chat link in a sec.

You win when town is overrun.
Restless_Ridge:
Hello Nuxl and Former! Welcome to Link’s Awakening Mafia! Today you are Aghanim’s Shadow the Mafia Sorceror.
index.php

The second form of the Shadow Nightmares, you take the form of the wizard Aghanim. Using your magical abilities, you are able to alter other players in the game. No, no dead man’s volley, though if it was volleyed you would be dead. What are the odds of that though? Every night you can choose a player to cast your magic on. There’s no telling what this might do, so use caution.

Please confirm in your individual accounts in the sign up thread. I'll link you to mafia chat in a sec.

You win when town is overrun.

Third Party
Aflame:
Hello Officer Snake and Koki! Welcome to Link’s Awakening Mafia! Today you are The Wind Fish the Dreaming God.
index.php

The great, the powerful, WIND FISH! The entire island of Koholint and all its inhabitants are but a dream inside your mind. This gives you great power of manipulation, if only you were conscious enough to do so. Your Nightmares haunt you and prevent you from awakening... As you slumber, you still have some awareness, but you can’t quite recall what it is you can do. Every night you may choose an Instrument of the Sirens, without knowing in the slightest what effect it will have.

Full Moon Cello
Conch Horn
Sea Lily’s Bell
Surf Harp
Wind Marimba
Coral Triangle
Organ of Evening Calm
Thunder Drum

Beware, nightmares haunt your dreams and may corrupt your abilities. They otherwise have no power over you.

You win if you’re alive at the end of the game.
Bok's Lovechild:
Hello Minish and Doc! Welcome to Link’s Awakening Mafia! Today you are the Shopkeeper the Electric Killer.
index.php

You are the Town Tool Shopkeeper of Mabe Village. You sell a lot of useful stuff, including an extremely overpriced Bow. Since it costs a small fortune, many a hero has tried to steal it. You have no tolerance for thieves whatsoever, upon seeing one you will electrocute them to death. As such, people who steal your wares will be turned into lightning rods that you will be able to activate at will. Obviously, you can only activate one a night no matter how many are available. You are currently selling: a Bow, a Shield, and a Shovel. You will be alerted when someone has become a THIEF, giving you the option to turn them into a lightning rod during any night phase after, assuming they don’t lose charge.

You win if you are alive at the end of the game and all THIEVES are dead.

GGs, everyone. It was my first Mafia game in a while, so I was a bit rusty. Hope no one minded the ace attorney memes I brought out as I got more comfortable playing the game. :wynaut:

GG. Probably did a lot more harm than good to town in this game, but oh well. Thanks to Funnygurl for being a good partner. Also, I now hold the distinction of being involved in all three of the most active Bulba games

We did try to take down Restless Ridge in Night 4 though; our vig shot wasn't at full power in that it would only work if our target also targeted us... which obviously didn't happen. Oh well.
that is probably my fault, i think i targeted you guys that night :( i'm sorry!!!!!

that is probably my fault, i think i targeted you guys that night :( i'm sorry!!!!!
No worries! Our role worked that after we used a regular vig shot, we'd then be "chained up" the following night and only be able to shoot if we were targeted by the same person, and since we shot on odd nights, I don't think your ability interfered with us at all and it was just the chain thing.

Dreaming God abilities:
Full Moon Cello - Town role blocks fail on mafia
Conch Horn - Takes two bullets
Sea Lily’s Bell - Magic powder to everyone
Surf Harp - does nothing
Wind Marimba - all results will be oppostite (vig will protect, Doctor will kill, cop will get town instead of mafia)
Coral Triangle - allow Tarin to give away mushrooms
Organ of Evening Calm - all actions fail
Thunder Drum - lightning rods will activate, If no lighting rods shopkeeper dies

The rest of the setup stuff I will leave to funnier.

As one quick note, the first cop check on RR was affected by Wind Marimba; ironically, that move sort of killed Aflame, though at the same time it saved them because they were targeted by the vig the same night (which meant they were protected instead of killed).

funnier gets all of the credit for this setup. It was really creative and made for a fun game to watch!

Dreaming God abilities:
Surf Harp - does nothing
Wind Marimba - all results will be oppostite (vig will protect, Doctor will kill, cop will get town instead of mafia)
Thunder Drum - lightning rods will activate, If no lighting rods shopkeeper dies

As one quick note, the first cop check on RR was affected by Wind Marimba; ironically, that move sort of killed Aflame, though at the same time it saved them because they were targeted by the vig the same night (which meant they were protected instead of killed).

funnier gets all of the credit for this setup. It was really creative and made for a fun game to watch!
So in other words, we were gonna die that day, anyway. :p Oh well, Dreaming God is a pretty hard role to claim.
@Officer Snake thanks for being such a pal this game. I didn't know what I was getting into, but having you there and seeing your posts was very reassuring.

Congratulations, fellow Townies! I gotta say, having to watch the last few phases knowing who the last Mafioso was was really suspenseful! RR was one of my scum leans, but I just didn’t see anything damning enough to push them...I’m glad that Cop confusion was resolved. Excellent job, Lone (even if you didn’t place that vote right away, oof). I wish I could’ve been here more active in the first phase of the game, and had enough confidence in any of my non-sunspear scumreads to push something other than letting our own lynch happen, but it was still a very fun and interesting game to be in. I wouldn’t mind playing a Hydra game again, someday!

It's a pity, though, that I subbed out. Would've been nice to finish. But I still stand by that decision.

Mafia games sometimes bring up frustrations. Well that just happens. Hydra games even more because people consist out of 2 players, making things a bit more quirky. And when you also mix in 3 communities you have a recipy for a bonfire...
So it's not weird or bad that there were some frustrations, that's fine. But what I super disliked in this game was that people constantly made frustrations personal. Moe's behaviour at the time I subbed out was the last drup for me, but multiple people did this (and not just directed at me or my other head). I was really frustrated at this basically just being ignored. When a mod then privately suggests to me that I sub out, then yes of course I will sub out. That was handled poorly.

And seriously, though, how ridiculous all of this was. I remember Moe posting that he was so frustrated in this game that people (especially me) posted so poorly, had a conf bias and what not. Really? I mean, you don't even know at that point what each player's alignment and role is. Perhaps everything makes perfect sense and everything is just part of the game. These constant mentions of people playing bad, heads being shit, etc. etc. are so immature. It's just a game. Not a real fight.

Our behaviour on day 1? We were unaligned, hadn't even discussed yet exactly what we wanted. We then chose to support the town (makes most sense, we have to behave as townies anyway), but have a small slip-up mid-day 1 when we become a bit apathic. We didn't actually care about the lynch from our perspective so got tired for a moment. We realised it quickly, however, and fought for ZMS fiercely again (whom we really suspected to be scum). We decided that we would fight very hard for the town to test the mafia. Can we grab them by the tail or will they outsmart us? If ZMS is town, the mafia would've played us like a fiddle, perhaps we should then have to change sides. So we wanted to know whether we were right (since S&N was obviously town). Then T&H nearly saved ZMS at the end. >.> I didn't actually think they were scum per se (not at first), I was just afraid that this would lead to a domino reaction. RR already mentioned before that the ZMS lynch was going too easy etc., multiple players had not yet chosen a side. By confronting T&H about it, I just hoped to discourage others from changing stuff last minute. Then T&H became incredibly defensive, completely unnecessary, making us actually believe that it may have been a scumslip? Or it was frustration (I don't think they realised that our confrontation was really much more playful from our side...)? Anyhow, I found the scumslip more honourable, so stuck with that. I wasn't actually sure about their alignment though, which is why I didn't even vote for them initially the next day (seriously, I thought about the case over and over again, and doubted myself many times. Not publicly, people seemed to punish each other for backtracking in this game, but in private I wasn't entirely sure). At the end I did really believe they were scum, but it also didn't matter. We were 3rd party, 1-2 myslynches are fine, especially if those people may ever pose a threat to us (same for sunspear).
When I subbed out, though, I told funnier in private that I thought T&H and RR were the last scum. At least right about one haha. I didn't post much about it ingame yet because it was kind of hard to sell at this point (and T&H had to go first), because I suspected RR for making the same slip-up as I did, apathy. Being so active in day 1, claiming a town leader role and then suddenly losing some grip on the game. I thought that that was because all the high activity and leadership was just an act, and it's hard to keep that up forever (like how we had a moment of apathy after we first accused ZMS, by not really fighting for it). I was wrong about thesunspear though, and also didn't see Chillian yet as the final scummate (but he was inevitably gonna be killed by us accidentally, so that turned out to be no problem).

Anyhow, kuddos to the town.

But MNH, you guys tried to kill us? :OOOOOOOOOOOOOO whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy we even killed the godfather on day 1 lol, how could we be the biggest threat out of all those people with no alibi>.>

Last edited:
What a fun game, y'all. Though it was a bit rough towards the middle I gotta say I had an absolute blast.

All credit for our inthread posts goes to FA. I only posted a couple times (my most notable being the ZMS ISO), but that was helped by the fact that we mindmelded for most of the game. Even so, FA was able to keep us afloat while I dealt with school hell and she truly deserves the win here.

That being said, in a parallel with our typical individual playstyles, I'm fairly certain that we had one of the lower post counts on Day 1 and throughout the game as a whole. Bulba players, let this be a lesson to you that even in games amongst people who choose to post as much as they can, the ideology of quality over quantity can still hold true if you're concise and thoughtful in your posts. I think that it's important to note that you don't have to post a lot to play in a pro-town way as long as you explain and communicate with the other players, pipe up when you feel like something looks odd, and remember that it's okay to take risks.

To anyone who isn't a Bulba native, whether you're from ZD, Smogon, Syndicate, or wherever, I hope you stick around. As you can probably tell we're more of a casual community but please try not to let that deter you from participating in our games. You all are excellent players and we have a lot to learn from you, and I hope that you can learn something from us in your stay here.

Thanks for a great game everyone! This was definitely a good experience and it's changed my mind about Hydra games.

Last edited:
@Officer Snake and Rubik,

I kept following the game and rooted for you guys.
You guys did make the mistake to not help sunspear out in the end >.> As much as I would've LOVED to lynch him, we knew that Leetic's roleblock results were false. Because of our actions, we knew that no night results during those 2 nights were reliable lol. I think it would've helped us had we just admitted that inthread, instead of using this to get rid of thesunspear. The next day when LW claimed cop, we were fucked because we pretended before that we knew nothing about what happened in the night before. :p
I did tell funnier after I subbed out that I would've stopped using our night action after night 2, and apparently using the wind maramba saved us on night 3, so you guys also saved us where I would've not :p so that was great

No worries! Our role worked that after we used a regular vig shot, we'd then be "chained up" the following night and only be able to shoot if we were targeted by the same person, and since we shot on odd nights, I don't think your ability interfered with us at all and it was just the chain thing.
Where ia this stated in the role pm?

That was probably because of the sorcerer role. MNH was targeted multiple times by it.

Where ia this stated in the role pm?
It wasn't; we only found this out as every time we did our vig shot, we'd be chained up the next night lol. I'm just assuming I've got the details right on it being an every other night thing since it kept happening, and that it balances our role away from being an infinite shot vig.

Or it was related to what Former said above me, I'm not 100% sure.
But MNH, you guys tried to kill us? :OOOOOOOOOOOOOO whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy we even killed the godfather on day 1 lol, how could we be the biggest threat out of all those people with no alibi>.>
Sorry about that! This was my thoughts on it in our hydra chat:
Okay, I'm going to post my rationale here for a vig shot and place it just to be safe that we have one (since I think we really need to weed out potential suspects and take the chance to maybe hit scum).

I think Aflame might be a good choice because a) discussion will probably go back to them in the day anyway, b) they really only have the late D1 posts of their's to really cause them to be townread, and c) if there is a cop, I feel like they are more likely to be checking RR or ddi's slots since those ones seem to be more "wild card"-y IMO. I don't know those players well enough to know how likely they are to bus, but maybe their argument with T&H was prepping for a Tommy and Hal mislynch that ended up happening.

GO TOWN GO :D

this was a really fun game. thanks for hosting funnier (also cool to see you around again) :)

Dreaming God abilities:
Surf Harp - does nothing

To be fair, I used RNG to decide what I was going to use, and luckily it was thunder drum, I don't think chillan was in much danger of being lynched as well.

Thanks to @Kokirion and @Ryuken for being great teammates, shame we got so close near the end but our actions caught up with us.

Thanks to @Mellow Ezlo and @funnier6 for hosting a very creative and interesting setup.

Back
Top Bottom